All you need to know about Pirate-Community

For all things related to Pirate-Community and its websites.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Re: All you need to know about Pirate-Community

Post by PluMGMK »

1% of the members apparently own 64% of the Tings, or at least that was the case a few weeks ago!

Anyway, I've taken Raylex's Ting account and Rayinator's myriad accounts. I've also added the "Tings = 5 * Posts" line for comparison.
Tings versus posts, with linear fit forced through the origin.
Tings versus posts, with linear fit forced through the origin.
Tings versus posts, with linear fit with best-fit y-intercept.
Tings versus posts, with linear fit with best-fit y-intercept.
For the histograms, I did make the bins smaller, to get something that I think looks all right, and as suggested left out the 0-post accounts. I got even more persnickety with my titles. :fou:
Histogram for those who are definitely cruel heartless scavengers, in which I show how I figured out how to change the tickmarks in Octave. Perhaps it would have been even better to just figure out how to make a histogram in LibreOffice Calc and not involve Octave at all, but I'm too crazy for that.
Histogram for those who are definitely cruel heartless scavengers, in which I show how I figured out how to change the tickmarks in Octave. Perhaps it would have been even better to just figure out how to make a histogram in LibreOffice Calc and not involve Octave at all, but I'm too crazy for that.
Histogram for those who have posted at least once, but are not necessarily cruel heartless scavengers.
Histogram for those who have posted at least once, but are not necessarily cruel heartless scavengers.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Edit: PluM beat me to it (again :lol:), but since I bothered to run the queries here's my message anyway.

Well, about 50.6% of all Tings are held by 23 accounts (I didn't merge data for Ting accounts), which is just over 1% of the 2112 users who have posted at least one message.

Your guess was surprisingly accurate, and it looks like this place is just like the real world. :lol:
Xenon
Pirate Lunette
Tings: 98896

Post by Xenon »

Hunchman801 wrote:Your guess was surprisingly accurate, and it looks like this place is just like the real world. :lol:
The real world is shit then. We scavengers have earned those Tings from posting and partaking in events like quizzes, lotteries and record days. Contributing to the forum, basically. In the real world, the top 1% is disproportionately privileged as they doubtlessly haven't put in the same level of contribution to society (except through taxes, which comes from their income anyway) :pascontent:

Nice charts though, gotta say. They do give the illusion this place is corrupt.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

I don't really think so. The CDF of Ting distribution, now THAT looks corrupt. I plotted it when trying to answer Rub's question but didn't bother posting it.
Posts look like they're exponentially distributed, although I haven't looked into that too deeply.
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

Post by Keane »

So a bunch of crusty old timers are hogging all the tings and then they want mods with a "certain seniority" elected by the current staff itself. :tssk: RaymanPC is a total oligarchy, we need topdown redistribution.

Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Well don't look at me, I'm under that thick black line!
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

On the other hand, due to the correlation between Tings and post count, you can definitely argue that, in general, those with the most Tings worked harder for them.
Keane
André

Post by Keane »

RaymanPC's currency never stops being printed either, making it less valuable along the way. The oligarchs will never admit it, but back in the day a Rayman 1 rank only took a 1000 tings!
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Post by Ambidextroid »

Speaking of which what's the conversion rate? And how does it work, do we just PM hunch and he posts us a package full of cash?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

It keeps being printed as more wealth is generated through posts and good deeds so it's cool, no inflation. :bigup:

As for the exchange rate, it's nothing more than the amount people are ready to pay for it. It seems to be a rather illiquid asset as the last pseudo-transaction I'm aware of is in 2015 when lavengeanceduhap declined amounts in excess of 100€ and went for OCG's 222,223 Tings instead. At about 0.0004€ per Ting, I'm afraid you won't get much for yours.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Wasn't that when OCG bought his Rayman medallion, or something to that effect?
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Ah.
(Also as a citizen of an anglophone country that uses the Euro I'd like to point out that the € symbol goes before the number when writing English.)
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Master wrote:Wasn't that when OCG bought his Rayman medallion, or something to that effect?
Yep.
PluMGMK wrote:Also as a citizen of an anglophone country that uses the Euro I'd like to point out that the € symbol goes before the number when writing English.
I should have known, the English have always loved doing the exact opposite of what everyone else does. :mrgreen:
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Post by Ambidextroid »

Maybe it's just that everyone does the exact opposite of us :hinhin:
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Ambidextroid wrote:Maybe it's just that everyone does the exact opposite of us :hinhin:
It's not like anyone would want to copy the imperial system! :bad: :proud:
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

I just assumed it came after, since everyone apparently does it the fuck wrong.

One thing I absolutely don't understand is why foreigners (especially the French) still choose to put a space before their punctuation, despite them obviously having had to take note of the fact that this never happens in English.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

And then you have the ones using English conventions in French... even though they're French themselves. :confus:
Keane
André

Post by Keane »

For some reason I read the space between punctuation as a weird insincerity or something, like it's meant to be sarcastic. Doesn't make any sense, but I brought it up to a friend a while back and he knew exactly what I was talking about.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

I get what you mean, like it delays the intonation or draws it out or something.