RayWiki Improvement Drive - Now Concluded.

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

RayWiki Improvement Drive - Now Concluded.

Post by Master »

Notice of conclusion and claiming of rewards

RayWiki has been a major RPC site and project for almost 7 years now, during which it's been tended to by dedicated members of the Rayman fanbase, and during its growth it has amassed about 1,346 articles on its English site. A grand feat and one I think we all ought to be proud of. However, despite this large amount, RayWiki has lagged behind more recent developments, be that the UbiArt Duology, or other findings from ULR, Speedrunners and Scorers and of course, Motormike's own History of Rayman.

As it stands, there are 473 articles on RayWiki flagged for need of dire improvement, which is just over a third of the articles RayWiki holds. And that's just pre-existing items, we've also got many articles in need of creation to deal with. Finally, there's also general spelling, grammar and presentation issues to deal with.

RayWiki has been tended to by many members, but we need your help! As a dedicated fansite and fanbase we have quite a bit of knowledge about the franchise, and we need our members in order to bring RayWiki back up to top and current. This Drive is still in the developmental stages, but we'd like to hear what you folks think about this initiative, all constructive feedback and thoughts are most welcome!

So, what is the RayWiki Improvement Drive?
The RayWiki Improvement Drive is a scheme I've been working on for some time, the main purpose is to use the free time we've gotten to band together and catch up on all the major events that have passed since Rayman Origins revived the series. The main focus will of course be articles relating to those two games, their levels, characters, enemies etc.

There is a secondary purpose also, and that is to try to encourage more members to edit on the Wiki, we're a knowledgeable and passionate bunch, no doubt, if all our debates and conversations in the Rayman threads are anything to go by. So why not channel it towards the Wiki? It's a good place to make one's mark, while also contributing to RPC and the fandom at large.

Any places in particular?
As stated above, the most important area for RayWiki to catch up on are articles falling under the purview of the UbiArt Duology, many members have played and discovered in these titles, yet the articles for them are amongst the barest and stubbiest on the RayWiki. In particular, we'd really appreciate help with the RO and RL level articles. With the lack of new titles this year, we have the perfect opportunity to take stock of what we've been getting since 2010, and bringing the Wiki forward to a better grounding in 2015.

Recommended areas: How do I edit in RayWiki?
RayWiki runs on MediaWiki, the same software powering Wikipedia and many other popular Wiki sites, such as the Super Mario Wiki, Bulbapedia and so on. If you've got experience on editing articles on such sites, you should find editing here to be a breeze.

For first-timers, after I nagged Hunch for some time, we've got the WikiEditor implemented, it's the same editing tools that Wikipedia uses. It comes with some handy shortcuts for basic formatting, such as headings, bold text and italics, while also allowing quick implementation of tables. It also has a convenient help tab, which provides a quick cheat sheet on other basic wikitext functions, a definite convenience if you're new! Finally, if you're really unsure, MediaWiki has a nice set of help pages if you're looking for clear solutions and examples: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents

One of the goals of the Improvement Drive is to encourage new members to join in editing the Wiki, as such, we'd really like for members to try editing pages themselves. However, as the main goal is to improve our articles, members who don't feel confident in editing articles directly can practice by mentioning potential issues in an article's talk page, or failing that, directly contacting an established editor to posit the edit.

Will there be any rewards?
We hope to reward all who take the time and effort to help RayWiki grow further, to this end, a reward scheme has been put in place. If you are participating in the drive, be sure to list any major edits you make on a page like this: http://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/User:Master ... rive_Edits

Once the Drive has concluded, we will be judging the edits made, and will send a proportionate amount of tings to reward said edits.

Best of luck to all, and thanks in advance for helping RayWiki!
iHeckler9
Chasseur
Tings: 1830

Re: RayWiki Improvement Drive

Post by iHeckler9 »

I guess I could do a little more work on it when I get some free-er time.
Current Rank: Jumping Eye. "AH GOD I DROPPED MY CONTACT LENS AGAIN"
A recent survey shows that 1 in 4 people are mentally unstable.
Check your friends, if they say 'no', it must be you... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :fou: :mrgreen:
MrBadGuy
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Post by MrBadGuy »

I'm gonna give it a look right now and see if I can help in any way
Click the picture for a hi-res version of the opposite of the worst artwork your eyeballs haven't ever not seen
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Good to hear, I'm trying to also find a way to reward members for helping out once the Drive gets fully underway, so please, don't be shy!
DandyGuy
Ptizêtre Ermite
Tings: 1772

Post by DandyGuy »

I was pretty dumb thinking only selected people could edit the wiki :boon:
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Nope, all members can do so, some already have the profile pages to prove it!
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 453317

Post by Hoodcom »

I for one think this is a fantastic idea. Even I have been doing what I can to assist in improving RayWiki. Hopefully things can be put in place soon! :mrgreen:
Shrooblord
Mr Stone
Tings: 67030

Post by Shrooblord »

Good plan! Whenever I read a Wiki article and discover a flaw, I'm sure to notify you (i.e. you, the reader) and edit it myself - I've done this already, I'll continue doing it more vigorously. I'll go check out some more articles in my spare time and see if I can improve them.
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~! (Or here.)
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.
Eshap
Barbara
Tings: 10182

Post by Eshap »

I see the merchandising page needs improving! I have a few bits of merchandise that don't seem to be on the page, but I don't really know the origins for quite a few of them. Would it be worth adding them?
Rayfist wrote:It's r34 artwork. Haha Jesus christ Eshap.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

You can mark them with the rewire-expand template if they need more info.
Rulez
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2310

Post by Rulez »

Wish I had more free time to help!
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Right, today is my final day before I have my holidays, I'm hoping to flesh things out further when I get back.
Eshap
Barbara
Tings: 10182

Post by Eshap »

I added a small bit of info onto the Merchandise page. I hope it looks ok!
Rayfist wrote:It's r34 artwork. Haha Jesus christ Eshap.
Xenon
Pirate Lunette
Tings: 98896

Post by Xenon »

I'd certainly be happy to help. The only problem is, looking at the lists of articles that need creating/improving, they tend to be concerning things that I have slightly less knowledge about.

I will endeavour to help out though, where I can, at some point in the holiday season :)
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Eshap wrote:I see the merchandising page needs improving! I have a few bits of merchandise that don't seem to be on the page, but I don't really know the origins for quite a few of them. Would it be worth adding them?
This is a request I've asked for a long time to the members in the Rayman Merchandise thread but it seems to have been ignored in the meantime.

I noticed you tried to upload some things, I thank your help! :)

I will see if in this Christmas break I can spend an hour or other to help improving anything. Schoolwork has been killing me lately.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Clearly, most of the RO and RL level articles are close to empty and could really use some help from our members who are knowledgeable about those games.
Master
Rayman 1

Re: RayWiki Improvement Drive - Front Post Update

Post by Master »

Right, I've edited the front post to give a little more detail about the initiative.
Master
Rayman 1

Re: RayWiki Improvement Drive - RO Levels

Post by Master »

Ok, new update, like I said in the first post, if you want to claim rewards, make sure you note any major edits on your Improvement Drive page, you can make your own by clicking this link: http://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Special:MyP ... rive_Edits

As Humch said above, and as I will be adding to the front post also, the area we've decided that needs urgent fixing are the Rayman Origins and Legends levels, the list below gives links to the current articles in said category that need your efforts to be up to scratch:

Jibberish Jungle/Ticklish Temples Desert of Dijiridoos/Grumbling Grottos Gourmand Land/Luscious Lakes Sea of Serendipity/Angsty Abyss Mystical Pique Moody Clouds Land of the Livid Dead
Master
Rayman 1

Re: RayWiki Improvement Drive - Reward Scheme now finalised.

Post by Master »

Alright folks, we're ready, be sure to look at the above lists and expand where you can. Also note said editions on an Improvement Drive Page, you can see my example page to get an idea for what I'm asking for: http://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/User:Master ... rive_Edits

We'll be looking at these pages when it comes to rewarding members who helped us out, so it is of utmost importance that you use these pages to log any major edits you make, if you wish to be rewarded.