Please introduce yourself here

For all things related to Pirate-Community and its websites.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Torsinn
Lums
Tings: 40

Re: Please introduce yourself here

Post by Torsinn »

Thank you :D
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610819

Post by Hunchman801 »

Welcome to this place, Torsinn, and glad to hear you're looking to participate!

By the way, I had a great time watching your race with Torcnein for SpeeDons. I look forward to more of this in the future. :D
Torsinn
Lums

Post by Torsinn »

Nice! If you want to see more races we did some trifecta relay races at BSG and ESA (without Torcnein though, and ESA is not on youtube yet). Also tomorrow we are doing a 100% NMG community race for the new category extension leaderboards!
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Oh, that sounds great! Please do not hesitate to share all the links here, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's interested. :D
Torsinn
Lums

Post by Torsinn »

BSG (last summer): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFGKPzhN0Ds
ESA (1 month ago): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2067668689
Tomorrow it's gonna be on every runner's twitch channel, and on https://www.twitch.tv/rayman_speedruns for a global restream
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Thanks for sharing, I'll be sure to watch those on a rainy weekend! 8)
clue4u
Lums Noir
Tings: 60

Post by clue4u »

Hello, I am clue4u, im new to the Rayman Pirate community, as well as Rayman in general. I've played all mainline console games so far, and am now playing the handheld games and spinoffs. :P
Greengoop
Sssam
Tings: 32625

Post by Greengoop »

Welcome to the forum! Hope you love your time playing through rayman and hope you stick around!
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Welcome to this place, clue4u! Hope you'll enjoy yourself here. :)
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91737

Post by Steo »

Welcome clue4u!
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
RaitoninqXaara
Lums
Tings: 35

about me

Post by RaitoninqXaara »

name: sion
pronouns: she/her
bday: march 3 2004
fav games: final fantasy, rayman, the bouncer (ps2 game)
hobby: animation memes, whiteboard, vocaloid/utau, oekaki, kiss (kisekae set system)

SOCIALS!!!! yaaaay ^^
carrd: https://raitoninqxaara.carrd.co/
yt: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9q93N ... 09y4eg2eiw
x: https://x.com/RaitoninqXaara
ig: https://www.instagram.com/raitoninqxaara/
da: https://www.deviantart.com/caramelfloof (just keep ignoring dream up and f3tish shit there lmao)
Greengoop
Sssam

Post by Greengoop »

welcome to the forum! That’s a lot of information so I’m sure you’ll be a great member to the forum! :wink:
Hugo
Lums Violet
Tings: 145

Post by Hugo »

Wow I'm really late to the party, but it's beautiful to see a traditional forum like this still full of life! It's the Rayman way!

My name is Hugo, from England and I translate Japanese video games.

While revisiting some childhood experiences it hit me how special Rayman 2 is, how miraculous so many elements came together to create something beautiful. I wanted to connect with others who've had that experience and that's what led me here :)

Cheers! *raises glass of plum juice*
DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho
Tings: 24241

Post by DaveRattlehead »

Welcome to the forum Hugo! It's always nice to see new faces around
Greengoop
Sssam

Post by Greengoop »

Welcome! Please stick around
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 104095

Post by PluMGMK »

Nice to meet you Hugo! :D

So you actually work in the games industry? It's funny, when I think about it we get very few new members who work in the industry even if we're a gaming forum (although younger ones may plan to move into it eventually)…
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Welcome to this place, Hugo! Hope you'll enjoy yourself here. :D

As for your knowledge of Japanese... be careful, we might be tempted to recruit you to build a Japanese version of RayWiki! :winkgrin:
Hugo
Lums Violet

Post by Hugo »

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Yes I have worked for some game companies and these days I'm freelancing. But I wish I spent more time learning about programming and art when I was younger and already fascinated by games like Rayman. So are some older members of PC working in the games industry?

I'm not sure how much traction Rayman has in Japan, but it was interesting to learn about some localization changes like Ly's skin colour. They must have made some effort for the JP market. Anyway do let me know if I can help with anything!
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Hugo wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:34 pm Yes I have worked for some game companies and these days I'm freelancing. But I wish I spent more time learning about programming and art when I was younger and already fascinated by games like Rayman. So are some older members of PC working in the games industry?
I don't think so, although many of us work in tech.
Hugo wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:34 pm I'm not sure how much traction Rayman has in Japan, but it was interesting to learn about some localization changes like Ly's skin colour. They must have made some effort for the JP market. Anyway do let me know if I can help with anything!
I'd say very little; I don't think I've ever met a Japanese fan, after all. But then again, the language barrier probably doesn't help.

The changes they made (or intended to make at some point) for the Japanese market are indeed interesting, especially in that they were often misguided, such as this false belief that purple was the color of death and therefore had to be replaced everywhere, and also the fear that Rayman's hands having only four fingers would evoke criminal organizations, even though it's the case for Mickey Mouse and Mario and nobody cares. Interestingly, they came to their senses regarding the latter for the localization of Rayman 2, but the Game Boy Color version of Rayman 1 was not that lucky, and they edited all the artwork of Rayman and Mr Dark in that game. :lol:

In fact, what makes the Japanese market an interesting one for the series is its rather rich history of localizations. It started as early as Rayman 1, with a fully translated PC version, and then Rayman 2, with both the Dreamcast version of the game and its PlayStation remake (Rayman Revolution) getting localizations. I don't think there is a Japanese version of Rayman 3, but from Rayman Origins onwards, all UbiArt games were localized in that language. Rayman 1 even got a second translation with the release of Rayman Classic, and there's the aforementioned localization of its Game Boy Color adaptation, making Japanese the only language into which the names of the levels from that game were translated.

That's why a "レイウィキ" could be a good thing, if only for the sake of documenting all that work. One could also imagine it may trigger more interest for the series from a Japanese audience. But of course, writing a whole wiki is a colossal task, and given the scarcity of potential editors, the original scope of the project would have to be reduced and clearly defined for anything to actually happen. I'm open to any ideas you might have!
Hugo
Lums Violet

Post by Hugo »

Hunchman801 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:57 pm I don't think so, although many of us work in tech.
So cool... I'm envious of those skills.

First let me say I'm bowled over by your knowledge of Rayman history, but maybe that's to be expected from an admin of PC! It also surprises me how seriously they took cultural sensitivity back then, since there are many examples of no care towards localization from those days. Maybe they took it seriously because it's hard to break into such an unfamiliar market.

To be honest, it makes more sense to me to archive information about the JP localization history in English (indeed I found a few facts there myself) because Japanese gamers may simply not find it at all.

Firstly, Japan does have its own wiki fan sites format which is a kind of wiki/blog hybrid. This one here for example neatly summarizes core info about the game, goes on to make a subjective breakdown including "pros and cons", and ends with some trivia.

https://w.atwiki.jp/gcmatome/pages/8213 ... d_db4f9282

But the reason I am concerned they wouldn't find it is I have a sneaking suspicion the SEO optimization will favour those sites if say they looked up something about Rayman. Perhaps if Japanese streamers play Rayman, more people will catch on? I feel that the people have to come first and the "culture" follows, as it was with PC.