Please introduce yourself here

For all things related to Pirate-Community and its websites.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
ScalieDan
Feuillu
Tings: 1651

Re: Please introduce yourself here

Post by ScalieDan »

Retrofuge wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:40 am Hello, I'm Retrofuge! I have been huge Rayman fan since the early 2000s, mainly the classic series of the games from Rayman 1 to 3. I do like a bit of Origins though, but I have been always wanted to join this forum for ages, I'm so glad to finally be here. Hopefully, I will enjoy my time here and be able to share my admiration for the series along with you guys. :)

P.S: I think the Rabbids should die, I want Rayman back! Jokes aside. Hope you enjoy my presence here.
Hi Retro. Enjoy your stay here!
Retrofuge
Reflux
Tings: 8045

Post by Retrofuge »

ScalieDan wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:46 am
Retrofuge wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:40 am Hello, I'm Retrofuge! I have been huge Rayman fan since the early 2000s, mainly the classic series of the games from Rayman 1 to 3. I do like a bit of Origins though, but I have been always wanted to join this forum for ages, I'm so glad to finally be here. Hopefully, I will enjoy my time here and be able to share my admiration for the series along with you guys. :)

P.S: I think the Rabbids should die, I want Rayman back! Jokes aside. Hope you enjoy my presence here.
Hi Retro. Enjoy your stay here!
Oh, I will definetly enjoy this place. 8)

I exist, just finding stuff of interest.
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Post by Aaron »

Welcome to PC, Retro! :)
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Welcome Retro! It's great to have you here, we have a lot of appreciation for everything you've done for the community! :bigup:
Retrofuge
Reflux

Post by Retrofuge »

Aaron wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:42 pm Welcome to PC, Retro! :)
Thanks for the warm welcome, Aaron! :D
Hunchman801 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:59 pm Welcome Retro! It's great to have you here, we have a lot of appreciation for everything you've done for the community! :bigup:
Oh thanks a bunch Hunch! I really do appericate the work you put into the forum. I will try my best do continue the good work anyway. I love Rayman, so it's pretty much something I have a passion for. :)

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Well you can count on our support, then. :D
Alltech
Barbara
Tings: 10293

Post by Alltech »

Welcome! 😊
😎
Santa
Père Noël
Tings: 16727

Post by Santa »

Ho ho ho! Welcome to all the newcomers, I invite them to sign up to this season's Advent Calendar! :noel:
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Welcome Retrofuge!!! :D :D
Долбоёб
Électoon
Tings: 15

Post by Долбоёб »

Hallo. I do not speak English. But to do nefig (nefig, lol, does not translate), we will try through a translator. In general, I'm Vladislav, or just Vladik. Lazy person. :D
ScalieDan
Feuillu

Post by ScalieDan »

Долбоёб wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:22 am Hallo. I do not speak English. But to do nefig (nefig, lol, does not translate), we will try through a translator. In general, I'm Vladislav, or just Vladik. Lazy person. :D
Hello.
Nefig ≈ nothing, no biggie, no problem
from what I found (not entirely accurate, very contextual word it seems).
Retrofuge
Reflux

Post by Retrofuge »

ScalieDan wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:15 am Hello.
Do you speak Russian? It's weird for non-Russian person to translate for a native speaker. Also, don't try to use Reverso Context to translate a language which you don't know. It's not a very accurate way of translating a foreign language. The word means different things.
Долбоёб wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:22 am Hallo. I do not speak English. But to do nefig (nefig, lol, does not translate), we will try through a translator. In general, I'm Vladislav, or just Vladik. Lazy person. :D
Hello there! Welcome to the forum. :)
Last edited by Retrofuge on Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

ScalieDan wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:15 am Hello.
I think they probably mean "to do this the easy way" or "to do less work" in this context. This word has many different meanings depending on the context though. I assume only Russian speakers would understand this properly.
Welcome! :D
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
R4Y_ANC3L
Bras maléfique
Tings: 500

Post by R4Y_ANC3L »

Welcome aboard to RPC, Долбоёб!

Please enjoy your stay here. :wink:
ScalieDan
Feuillu

Post by ScalieDan »

To Retro's statement cause apparently he couldn't read mine properly, however I can't quote his text with the function weirdly enough...
Retrofuge wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:31 am Do you speak Russian? It's weird for non-Russian person to translate for a native speaker. Also, don't try to use Reverso Context to translate a language which you don't know. It's not a very accurate way of translating a foreign language. The word means different things.
I wrote that this is what I found. I was trying to help the person. I looked at multiple dictionaries, examples of OFFICIAL translations and text book examples. Hence me saying it is very contextual. I used the meaning that occured the most. Which was a form of "nothing". Less work would also go in that direction.

I can indeed use methods and try to help. If it was very important, I would have asked some russian buddy to help translate for me.

I intended no offense.

Edit: I asked someone
his best attempt is "nothing better to do"
Possibly being "There is nothing better to do, than using translator" if put in context here.
2nd edit: "doesn't have any options other than using translator" another version. He seens confident context meant this.
Last edited by Hunchman801 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Retrofuge
Reflux

Post by Retrofuge »

ScalieDan wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:49 pm To Retro's statement cause apparently he couldn't read mine properly, however I can't quote his text with the function weirdly enough...

"Do you speak Russian? It's weird for non-Russian person to translate for a native speaker. Also, don't try to use Reverso Context to translate a language which you don't know. It's not a very accurate way of translating a foreign language. The word means different things."

I wrote that this is what I found. I was trying to help the person. I looked at multiple dictionaries, examples of OFFICIAL translations and text book examples. Hence me saying it is very contextual. I used the meaning that occured the most. Which was a form of "nothing". Less work would also go in that direction.

I can indeed use methods and try to help. If it was very important, I would have asked some russian buddy to help translate for me.

I intended no offense.

Edit: I asked someone
his best attempt is "nothing better to do"
Possibly being "There is nothing better to do, than using translator" if put in context here.
2nd edit: "doesn't have any options other than using translator" another version. He seens confident context meant this.
Not to sound rude, but it's welcome thread so I'm going to avoid any arguments. But, I'm not sure how translating a single word for a native speaker is really helping? I think, you need to realise, if you're going to translate a language which you don't know in an attempt to 'help'. You might want not do that to avoid looking silly in front of the person or giving inaccurate translations to another ESL user. That's like me looking at German dictionary and 'helping' you translate your own languge. It would be very silly if you have no expereince with learning or speaking the language yourself.

I do think you need to re-evaluate your methods of helping more before you consider them. The problems is when you're translating a foreign language to English, you have to be careful when using it as they could mean very different contexts if you're not the best at translating. I think just welcoming the user is good enough. No need to add any more than that.

Also, to quote people you need to click on the quote button on someone's post if you want to quote for next time.

ScalieDan
Feuillu

Post by ScalieDan »

To Retro,
stop ignoring what I said.
1. I mentioned how it isn't accurate but just my best attempt.
2. It is helpful to give examples of what might have been meant so they look up the english meaning and confirm or reject such translation. I didn't say I was right. I gave what was most commonly associated with the word (while I ignored totally different contexts). I didn't use whatever website you suggested. I actually digged into it.
3. If you didn't notice, I actually asked a native russian in the end. Where you can see how my attempt was very close, just lacking little detail.
4. I'm rather considered. I didn't say "it's not accurate" for you to just not read it.
5. It's a greeting and you shouldn't have commented like you did
6. your condescending mentioning of "quote" thing isn't helpful. you are aware I used it before. Fully aware. For some reason it just doesn't work.

edit: I wish that people read point 4. at least. p.s. ≈ is an approximation sign, not an equal sign. If some didn't know.

2nd edit: I also wasn't alone in attempting to help out and not alone in giving examples, yet I was used and targeted specifically. I hope people are not targeted here.
Last edited by ScalieDan on Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retrofuge
Reflux

Post by Retrofuge »

ScalieDan wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:25 pm To Retro,
stop ignoring what I said.
1. I mentioned how it isn't accurate but just my best attempt.
2. It is helpful to give examples of what might have been meant so they look up the english meaning and confirm or reject such translation. I didn't say I was right. I gave what was most commonly associated with the word (while I ignored totally different contexts). I didn't use whatever website you suggested. I actually digged into it.
3. If you didn't notice, I actually asked a native russian in the end. Where you can see how my attempt was very close, just lacking little detail.
4. I'm rather considered. I didn't say "it's not accurate" for you to just not read it.
5. It's a greeting and you shouldn't have commented like you did
6. your condescending mentioning of "quote" thing isn't helpful. you are aware I used it before. Fully aware. For some reason it just doesn't work.
It's really odd, you're getting weirdly passive aggressive all of sudden, I only really added my two cents. You seem agitated over nothing, I'm only being considerate of the user in question. You're not making the thread very welcoming by acting the way you do. For the quoting thing, I'm only really trying to help you since you seem to having difficulty with the quote button as you stated. If you're still having issues, you might want to refresh your session maybe. I just recommend trying not to spread misinformation or give wrong translations if you're not 100% confident in the translation in question. That's what I'm giving advice on. Again, try to avoid arguing in the thread which I'm trying to do. You're going to put off new members.

Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Things don't need to escalate just because of a concern regarding whether a translation is correct or not, it should be discussed in a civilised manner. It's fine to offer advice to others and have a little discussion, but this isn't a soap opera, and it most certainly isn't Jerry Springer, so let's not start trying to instigate an argument. If you absolutely must criticise people over a personal disagreement, such as criticism for ignoring/misreading or trying to tell them that you think they shouldn't do something, at least take it to PMs. A member of staff can step in if someone actually says something that they shouldn't have said. Thank you!
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
ScalieDan
Feuillu

Post by ScalieDan »

Steo wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:32 pm Things don't need to escalate just because of a concern regarding whether a translation is correct or not, it should be discussed in a civilised manner. It's fine to offer advice to others and have a little discussion, but this isn't a soap opera, and it most certainly isn't Jerry Springer, so let's not start trying to instigate an argument. If you absolutely must criticise people over a personal disagreement, such as criticism for ignoring/misreading or trying to tell them that you think they shouldn't do something, at least take it to PMs. A member of staff can step in if someone actually says something that they shouldn't have said. Thank you!
Thank you. Yes, if someone wants to comment like that to a greeting, shouldn't do it here. Staff jumps in if a greeting is too much or assumes too much :)