What are people's musical tastes here?

For all things related to Pirate-Community and its websites.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Dark Lum Lord
Carnivora
Tings: 12670

Re: What are people's musical tastes here?

Post by Dark Lum Lord »

Classic rock, progressive rock, alternative rock, grunge, traditional heavy metal, doom metal, thrash metal, other forms of metal, funk, soul, oldies, some old school hip-hop, some alternative rap, some gangster rap, experimental rock, art rock, post-punk, post-hardcore, and classical music only hit the tip of the iceberg of what kinds of music I listen to.
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

Post by Keane »

Experimental rock, progressive rock, Darkwave, Anti-folk, alternative, electronica, electronic dance, oldies, classic rock, trip hop, indie, space rock, classical, blues, blues rock, jazz, soul all work with me. I also like bits and pieces of house and symphonic rock.

And for those who still seem to believe jazz is what it was 40 years ago, this is for you:
Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
Dark Lum Lord
Carnivora
Tings: 12670

Post by Dark Lum Lord »

Keane wrote:Experimental rock, progressive rock, Darkwave, Anti-folk, alternative, electronica, electronic dance, oldies, classic rock, trip hop, indie, space rock, classical, blues, blues rock, jazz, soul all work with me. I also like bits and pieces of house and symphonic rock.

And for those who still seem to believe jazz is what it was 40 years ago, this is for you:
Ah yes, darkwave, trip hop, indie rock, blues, blues rock, jazz, and symphonic rock are all lovely in my book as well. We appear to have quite similar tastes.
Zikken
Sergueï
Tings: 45345

Post by Zikken »

Ehh I don't think I'll ever like Jazz. :lol: There is something that just doesn't work with it for me.

I'm more into Alternative Rock/ Metal, Symphonic Rock , classical, instrumental, post-hardcore, dubstep, electronic music. I'm quite picky on the later two though. I also like some other kinds but I have actually no idea what they are even called, I don't know much about music types honestly. Mostly into Classical though.

Since some people were also talking about bands and stuff in pasts post, I think my favorites goes with these: Skillet,Muse,Breaking Benjamin,linkin park, two step from hell, Just Surrender, Skrillex, Imagine Dragons, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Oomph! and Crush 40.
ZAR
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Post by ZAR »

When I was a kid I was never really into music. My parents never played any music as I was growing up, so I didn't inherit any musical tastes from them. I stumbled across a random YTMND site that had a song in the background which I really liked. So I looked in the 'site' info and it says the music was by 'The Doors'. I searched them up and then, they literally opened the door for me and I was a fan! Too bad I was about 30 years too late! I've never really been into much else apart from them, they're my go to music. I have degraded my mind over the years (nothing to do with beer I promise) and I started to listen to more pop style songs. Obviously I didn't just dump The Doors, I had them alongside.

I had a big crush on the chick that sang 'Sweet about me' - Gabriella Cilmi - any of you know? Probably not, she's not particularly in the public eye anymore. She DESTROYED my crush on her by cutting all her hair off, I couldn't deal with that, so like any decent creepy stalker I moved on. I still love Gabz tho, the music is very good, too not just a pretty face! I'm quite a Ke$ha fan now. OMG I said it *hides*, I love her durty attitude, but she has a kind heart.

I'm a party girl at heart.

So I went from liking The Doors (great taste)
To Gabriella (not so great)
To Ke$ha (probably awful)

Perfect!
Keane
André

Post by Keane »

ZAR wrote:When I was a kid I was never really into music. My parents never played any music as I was growing up, so I didn't inherit any musical tastes from them
I don't think parents have a large influence on musical style. Mine listen to things like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry but my brother is into techno, house, dubstep etc while I've found my way with all sorts of rock, jazz and electronic stuff.
ZAR wrote:I had a big crush on the chick that sang 'Sweet about me' - Gabriella Cilmi - any of you know? Probably not, she's not particularly in the public eye anymore. She DESTROYED my crush on her by cutting all her hair off, I couldn't deal with that, so like any decent creepy stalker I moved on. I still love Gabz tho, the music is very good, too not just a pretty face! I'm quite a Ke$ha fan now. OMG I said it *hides*, I love her durty attitude, but she has a kind heart.
Nawww don't judge artists on their looks. Seriously people getting upset because they don't like the nose of Bat for Lashes (Yeah I've actually seen four or five comments about her nose and that "female artists are supposed to look attractive" :boon: )
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
ZAR
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Post by ZAR »

Keane wrote:
ZAR wrote:When I was a kid I was never really into music. My parents never played any music as I was growing up, so I didn't inherit any musical tastes from them
I don't think parents have a large influence on musical style. Mine listen to things like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry but my brother is into techno, house, dubstep etc while I've found my way with all sorts of rock, jazz and electronic stuff.
ZAR wrote:I had a big crush on the chick that sang 'Sweet about me' - Gabriella Cilmi - any of you know? Probably not, she's not particularly in the public eye anymore. She DESTROYED my crush on her by cutting all her hair off, I couldn't deal with that, so like any decent creepy stalker I moved on. I still love Gabz tho, the music is very good, too not just a pretty face! I'm quite a Ke$ha fan now. OMG I said it *hides*, I love her durty attitude, but she has a kind heart.
Nawww don't judge artists on their looks. Seriously people getting upset because they don't like the nose of Bat for Lashes (Yeah I've actually seen four or five comments about her nose and that "female artists are supposed to look attractive" :boon: )
Oh I usually here about people saying 'well I grew up with this' and that helps determine their 'music orientation'. It's a good job you weren't affected, otherwise you'd be into the APPLAUSE -APPLAUSE APPLAUSE, AND ROARRR-OR-OR-OR-ORO-ROR! I hope you have no idea what I'm talking about because that means YOU'RE SAVED.

And you heard people talking bad things about Gabriella's nose?! How dare they!
sonicbrawler182
Barbara
Tings: 11810

Post by sonicbrawler182 »

I.....mostly just listen to video game soundtracks now. :I

...I don't know, I just kind of...stopped bothering with following "real" music/bands/celebrities/etc. I don't think I have the free time to cram in "music searching", so I just stick with the music I love in video games I play and stuff like that. Think of it as a form of multi-tasking.

Regarding actual genres of music, I guess the only one I don't really like at all is something like screamo music. With most other kinds of music, I will like them if the composition is good, really.

*is a music dunce anyway*
Please check out my YouTube channel, specifically my Sonic Lost World "Talkthrough"!

"And that's how Mama became the most OP character in every game she appeared in!"
Keane
André

Post by Keane »

I haven't been listening to all that much game music lately with the exception of Rayman 3.

I've had a drastic change in my musical style ever since this year started. Although I know there's acoustic rock bands out there I'd like I really couldn't care less to find them right now. I'm interested in hearing new uses for sounds, different instrumentation, new vibes. Today I found Wanderlust by Bjork and it just blew mind. Not something I've heard before. And of course some new genre's. I'm much more interested in instrumental sound, electronic music and the art behind it all. An awesome thing about today's music is that people are getting tired of certain sounds from acoustic rock (Though rock is changing too. Just look at band like Arcade Fire. Though I heard their new album is dissapointing.) or techno and are experimenting with all sorts of new things. Dubstep, like it or not, sounds to me like the beginning of people wanting to broaden music and what it can be and I think it's wonderful. Even pop is changing. Something like Capitol Cities did not exist ten years ago.

If I do end up making music one day then I doubt I'd be very interested in going with the classic guitar and drums sound. I think experimental and especially electronic music allows a much broader variety of sound and emotion it can express. I'm really looking forward to seeing where an artist like King Krule will end up going or what Beck is going to treat us with next year (I swear, I've never anticipated an album more. He's been doing a lot of cool shit.). And of course Radiohead's new one although from what I've heard so far and read I can't really tell whether it's going to sound a little bit too much like Atoms for Peace or, like someone at At Ease said, "the next In Rainbows."

If anyone even knows any of these artists or cares. :P
sonicbrawler182
Barbara
Tings: 11810

Post by sonicbrawler182 »

Dubstep is amazing when done right. The problem is, not enough people know how to do it right.

Which reminds me, I should check out some Circuit Freq songs.
Please check out my YouTube channel, specifically my Sonic Lost World "Talkthrough"!

"And that's how Mama became the most OP character in every game she appeared in!"
rolesfamily
Uglette
Tings: 74925

Post by rolesfamily »

The Doors are still my all time favourite. Even the albums without Jim are great, - Full Circle, and other voices.
Signature made by Harpic fraîcheur
Stryj
Photographe
Tings: 420

Post by Stryj »

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my proto-electronic mania.
Kraftwerk is great, as well as JMJ, but after those 30-40 years they still keep their class, which can't be told about Jarre. He has done, like, four truly good albums, the others are terribly bad or merely okay. The amount of kitsch on Revolutions or Metamorphoses is horrible.

But these two can't be, they really can't be compared to Vangelis. He has done over 40 albums and film soundtracks and literally all of them were artistically successful. While Jarre can't play his own compositions on keyboard now, Vangelis not only plays great, but improvises. Nearly all of his tracks were improvised.
3DS FC: 0748-2342-8018
Wii U ID: Stryjek
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Stryj wrote:I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my proto-electronic mania.
Kraftwerk is great, as well as JMJ, but after those 30-40 years they still keep their class, which can't be told about Jarre. He has done, like, four truly good albums, the others are terribly bad or merely okay. The amount of kitsch on Revolutions or Metamorphoses is horrible.

But these two can't be, they really can't be compared to Vangelis. He has done over 40 albums and film soundtracks and literally all of them were artistically successful. While Jarre can't play his own compositions on keyboard now, Vangelis not only plays great, but improvises. Nearly all of his tracks were improvised.
I'm glad I'm not the only person that likes Kraftwerk! They are my favourite group! :D

I also enjoy Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis, but only some of their musics. I can give examples like "Oxygene 2" and "The Dragon" respectively.
RAYMANIA
Moussu
Tings: 1065

Post by RAYMANIA »

Nice topic
My musical taste are (obviously old school) 90's and early 00's House Music, Garage House, Deep House, Progressive House, Acid House, Disco House, Dance Music, Disco Music, Funk, Soul, Techno, Dub, Rap, R&B, New Jack Swing, Trip Hop, Jungle, Jazz, Blues, Swing, Ragtime, Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Progressive Rock, Garage Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Pop and Drum & Bass
Last edited by RAYMANIA on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dart
Clark
Tings: 49845

Post by Dart »

I really enjoy rock, pop-rock, techno, electronic, the themes from animes I enjoy, and all lyrical songs I've heard in video games. That said, I also really love Daft Punk, and I have the fellows here at The RPC for sharing it with me!
TheCheesyDream
Roméo Patti
Tings: 7240

Post by TheCheesyDream »

I have a wide preference to music from classical to dubstep, anything to get me grooving :)
Earth Gwee
Ly
Tings: 214170

Post by Earth Gwee »

I'll pretty much listen to most genres, except Country, Dubstep, Rap, Pop, Metal, and I think a couple others.
OCG
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9905

Post by OCG »

Huge hater of country music, can listen to anything else if it sounds good, but I prefer Rock.
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
MisterDark'sFanClub
Céloche
Tings: 7890

Post by MisterDark'sFanClub »

Oldies, swing jazz, hard rock, soft rock, classic rock, alternative rock, punk rock, progressive rock, Christian post-hardcore (for some odd reason, I've never liked post-hardcore unless done by a Christian band), grunge, heavy metal, power metal, soft metal, thrash metal, Christian power metal (seems a lot more powerful than secular power metal), swing jazz metal, fusion sax metal, folk metal, Russian polka metal (yes. Russian polka metal), rockabilly-country-blues metal (that's Volbeat for you), Gospel, and the occasional '80s dance.

So, yeah, I like a wide variety of stuff. Sorta.
"You're fragile, too. But at least you can be put back together." ~Mr. Dark (Shadows of Magic AU)
Pirez
Globox
Tings: 98075

Post by Pirez »

I listen to pretty much everything, with a huge emphasis on metal, classical and movie/game soundtracks.