What are people's musical tastes here?

Pirate-Community Members' Forum.

Moderator: English moderators

Keane
Globox
Tings: 145022

Re: What are people's musical tastes here?

Post by Keane » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:17 pm

Ye, Gorillaz is fucking amazing and Demon Days is their best work. Definitely one of my favourite bands. Love Albarn's work, like Blur and whatnot. Gorillaz makes for such unique sound it doesn't have an actual genre you could use to label all their sound.

I have a mixed liking of music. I love alternative, rock, electronica, or otherworldly. Most probably know Radiohead is my favourite band in the world, and rightfully. Such fucking talent and Yorke just always manages to sing with such true emotion, but in a way that it sounds like he actually means what he says. He's one of the very few people who can truly mean it when his lyrics are fight-the-system themed. A while back i read an interview in which he stated he still gets emotional over a song they produced back in fucking 1994. Varied sound, no commercial bullshit, and not having the want to be a big band is what I think makes them brilliant. They don't need to make their music sound epic to make you feel like it is epic. The King of Limbs is such a natural, gloomy album taking a big step down from In Rainbows, and it still manages to impress me equally. And instrumentally they are no worse. Not to be cliche, but it shouldn't go unnoticed by anyone that Jonny Greenwood has got to be one of the best guitarists of the past thirty years, and him often being listed in top 50's and such is what he deserves. But unlike many my favourite in terms of sound has got to be Phil Selway. Fuck his drumming is good. Always creative and completing the song.

And of course I love Yorke's other work like The Eraser, Atoms for Peace etc. Good stuff. His one man projects have a sound you don't really find from any other artist/band, but I'd understand if someone can't find joy in it.

Other bands that come in as secondary favourites are like I mentioned before Gorillaz, but also Muse, Red Hot Chilly Peppers, Modest Mouse, and Coldplay (Which I will admit went downhill with their latest album). I'm not going into much detail about all of them but I do gotta say that Muse is fucking great. The Resistance and Origin of Symmetry I often play.

While I'm a big sucker for guitar and raw sound, computer made music is what I do like best. Otherworldly sound like Flying Lotus really clicks with me. It's like a mixture of emotions ranging from depression to optimism being mixed together, sometimes gently and other times very rough. More straightforward music like Modeselektor works with me too though.

Oh and Daft Punk. Loving those guys. One of the very who can put out something that keeps the same general sound on all their tracks (Human After All) and not make it a bore.

Other things I listen to are Beck, Bjork, Aphex Twin, Ultraista, Mount Kimbie, The White Stripes, Jack White, The Raconteurs, Will Young (Guilty pleasure), Robbie Williams (Another guilty pleasure), Joy Division, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen, Air, Sigur Ros, Portishead, Grizzly Bear, Placebo, Tame Impala, Massive Attack, UNKLE, and a whole bunch of others I can't think of right now.

Gotta give a shoutout to King Krule too. He's barely 18 and already put out such a fucking great EP. Excellent guitarist and some of the most unique vocals I've ever heard. Check dis shit out.

And Koji Kondo of course. :mrgreen:
Burgers float into my room...
[quote="Adsolution"]muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)[/quote]

Rulez
Robot
Tings: 2285

Post by Rulez » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:31 pm

I agree on the first paragraph other than the "calling Gorillaz a band" thing. :P

Bzzit
Bzzit
Tings: 24529

Post by Bzzit » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:45 pm

Demon Days is so good! My favourite bands are The Police, Blur, Tears For Fears, The Doors, The Who and Fleetwood Mac. I also listen to a lot of game and movie soundtracks too. :)
Rayman is the best man

Keane
Globox

Post by Keane » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Bzzit wrote:Demon Days is so good! My favourite bands are The Police, Blur, Tears For Fears, The Doors, The Who and Fleetwood Mac. I also listen to a lot of game and movie soundtracks too. :)
Oh yeah, love Tears for Fears too.
[quote="Adsolution"]muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)[/quote]

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Post by Adsolution » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:11 am

Ah, Tears for Fears, of course. Who could forget?

In regards to Gorillaz, I actually think that Plastic Beach might actually be my favourite album. It's so varied and atmospheric, and I find myself being immersed into every single song in it, unlike Demon Days, where I can only do so with about five or six songs (most notably Dirty Harry, Feel Good Inc, Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head, Don't get Lost in Heaven, and Demon Days).

Empire Ants is awesome, by the way.

BzzitTheMoskito
Robot Ninja
Tings: 3550

Post by BzzitTheMoskito » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:19 am

I like Celtic, calm, rock, electronic, alternative rock.

My favorite bands is Gorillaz, AC/DC, Linkin Park, Daft Punk, Imagine Dragons, Dropkick Murphys, to mention some.

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:23 am

There's a music from Tears for Fears that I like a lot: Shout.

Snagglebee
Premier Grand Mini
Tings: 2675

Post by Snagglebee » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:47 am

Haruka wrote:that I like a lot: Shout.
:lol:

The worst music kind for me are heavy metal and rap.

Rulez
Robot

Post by Rulez » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:33 am

emshomar wrote:
Haruka wrote:that I like a lot: Shout.
:lol:

The worst music kind for me are heavy metal and rap.
Care to elaborate?

Snagglebee
Premier Grand Mini
Tings: 2675

Post by Snagglebee » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:41 am

Rulez wrote:Care to elaborate?
Nooo.

Rulez
Robot

Post by Rulez » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:06 am

lol so gay

Keane
Globox

Post by Keane » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:11 am

emshomar wrote:
Rulez wrote:Care to elaborate?
Nooo.
You know, Rulez was genuinely interested.

Rulez
Robot

Post by Rulez » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:30 am

Actually yes. I'd love to see the reasoning behind disliking heavy metal.

SilentSanctuary
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 11395

Post by SilentSanctuary » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:48 am

I like soundtracks, rock (especially progressive rock), some pieces of classical music, also sometimes ambient, but my personal favourite would be the British singer Kate Bush - her voice is so beautiful and I really love her music.
I also play the guitar and compose music myself (by the way).

Phoenixan
Uglette
Tings: 26323

Post by Phoenixan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:05 pm

Haruka wrote:It is the name of a famous German electronic pop group, that I have a real respect and admiration too. I love their discography, and I went to see a concert of them live in 2004, when they went to play in Lisbon. It was unforgettable. :D I saved the tickets along with the live concert DVD released some months later under the name of Minimum-Maximum.

Some examples of their discography:

Some examples of their live concert clips:

Quoting because Kraftwerk owns pretty hard. Tour De France is my favorite album of theirs though.

Haruka
Rayman 2

Post by Haruka » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:17 pm

It is really hard for me to pick a favourite album, I equally like a lot the Tour de France. I'll take a risk by saying Computer World and The Man Machine.

OCG
Roméo Patti
Tings: 9820

Post by OCG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:01 am

Autobahn album was good for me.
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image

Haruka
Rayman 2

Post by Haruka » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:24 am

I'll suggest more albums later!

Dark Lum Lord
Pâquerette
Tings: 12670

Post by Dark Lum Lord » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:44 pm

emshomar wrote: The worst music kind for me are heavy metal and rap.
I'm sure that you've never taken the time to legitimately listen to a full heavy metal album in the first place. Most people are simply turned off by metal simply because of the stereotypes surrounding it, as well as the fact that they automatically think of the inhuman screams and growls belong to death and black metal, despite the fact that there are dozens of metal subgenres, and metal is self is often considered an offshoot of rock for obvious reasons.

The fact that you won't even bother explaining why you dislike it reassures the fact that you're a close-minded prick with a tiny penis. :)
SilentSanctuary wrote:(especially progressive rock)
We'll get along marvelously.

Bradandez
Globox
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:10 pm

My taste are more into dance, classical, soundtracks of various games and films, and the occasional rap, rock, and mariachi music.