Rayman will be in Academy of Champions

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Xenon
Pirate Lunette
Tings: 98896

Re: Rayman will be in Academy of Champions

Post by Xenon »

The Rayman series has spiralled downwards ever since the release of the first Rabbid game, in my opinion. The series has already been converted from a magical platformer to a low-quality array of party games, so more Rabbid hype won't worsen matters any more.

And plus, any publicity is good publicity, right? I personally think, now that Rayman is firmly rooted in sludge, his exposure only increases his fame.
spiraldoor
Oumbr
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor »

Xenon wrote:And plus, any publicity is good publicity, right?
Not really, no. The Michael Jackson child-molestation trial is a prime example of bad publicity.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

What I still don't get is why David Gasman didn't voiced Rayman on the Animated Series. :?
Acarr
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by Acarr »

Haruka wrote:
...I can remind my disapointed face when I saw the first screenshots in 2003 of the new Rayman design. I didn't like it. I was "WHY they had to change its visual?!". Nowadays I appreciate it BUT I still prefer the R2 design, I think Rayman was already great on R2 design! (As Rayman was originally going to appear on the 3rd game with the R2 design)

Then it was Murfy changed on design and personality. I liked the design but the personality despite of being funnier I think he lost some of the charm.

And Globox's voice is very different comparing to R2! (On the French version that doesn't happen) And did you guys noticed the differences of Gumsi's English voice with the French one?

Then the Teensies got also a surprising change of personality too. Such as instead on thanking Rayman they tease him. What the hell?
I disagree with what you think about the background characters being worse that their personality etc. has changed, because I think it makes it more "modern" and gives the whole sort of fairy-tale feel of the game being lifted, and more fun. Except the teensies were kind of annoying, but then, kids don't really want to listen to people moaning about how to play a game correctly in game!
Haruka wrote:The Lums were gone (Except on the Red ones but ONLY when you do a grimace to a Black Lum, because the scattered ones are different) and most of the amazing characters of R2 also were missing, I mean where is Clark?! Where is Ly?! Where is Polokus?! Where is Uglette (Because when Globox comments about the Girl voice on the Hoodlum Headquarters and falls on the painting trap it seems like he forgot about his wife!)?! Where is everybody?!

Then we have the jokes on the game, some of them hilarious... other much more dry... I think this kind of humour didn't fit quite well on the game...

I talked about Globox and Gumsi's voices some lines ago. On Rayman 2 for me both French and English versions were awesome... but the English R3 is more screwed than the French one.

I liked the Hoodlums, they are funny and I loved the Knaarens but for me Razoff and Begoniax weren't very interesting. I still prefer the Robo-Pirates they are much more original, funnier and more interesting.

The jokes were dry, but to be honest I have dry humour. :mrgreen: But Razoff and Begoniax were annoying, but I think that was intended(plus, Begoniax was pure ROFL with the sex jokes and all).

I never really thought about that part about Globox forgetting about his wife and something-over-a-hundred children. :shock:
What a whore!
Haruka wrote:The mini-games could have been better, they are boring to play.
The 1st lot were I suppose, but there's nothing better than knowing that you have unlocked and completed them as well as the main game! :hehe:
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

I respect your opinion Acarr. Everyone has different opinions, I just gave mine.
MLII
Carmen
Tings: 43075

Post by MLII »

Haruka wrote:What I still don't get is why David Gasman didn't voiced Rayman on the Animated Series. :?

He probably didn't want to. But they really shouldn't have chosen Billy West IMO.
Xenon
Pirate Lunette
Tings: 98896

Post by Xenon »

Ubisoft probably just couldn't be bothered to track him down, especially if the other guy was a cheaper alternative.
Beebop
Électoon
Tings: 5

Post by Beebop »

Ubisoft need to make another proper Rayman game!! :x
Sabertooth
Magicien
Tings: 53365

Post by Sabertooth »

Beebop wrote:Ubisoft need to make another proper Rayman game!! :x
Where have you been? :|
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:
MrBadGuy
Antitoon

Post by MrBadGuy »

I don't really think this game looks any good whatsoever, they're just using those characters to get attention from fans of those series', like us...
Click the picture for a hi-res version of the opposite of the worst artwork your eyeballs haven't ever not seen
Kelvin12
Carnivora
Location: In the back of your head, destroying every bit of knowledge you have.
Tings: 13791

Post by Kelvin12 »

AKA, they're using us as prawns to gain money.
MrBadGuy
Antitoon

Post by MrBadGuy »

Exactly, we don't want to end up like hardcore Mario fans do we?
Click the picture for a hi-res version of the opposite of the worst artwork your eyeballs haven't ever not seen
Holy Crap
Vendeur
Location: I AM OMNIPRESENT! (Just like God, only better, because I exist)
Tings: 80202

Post by Holy Crap »

Kelvin12 wrote:AKA, they're using us as prawns to gain money.
Prawns? Do you possibly mean pawns?
MrBadGuy
Antitoon

Post by MrBadGuy »

Holy Crap wrote:Prawns? Do you possibly mean pawns?
Haha! I didn't notice that ^^
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Yeah, we should organise a boycott of this game by fans of all characters in this game. Then Ubi will realise that their fans aren't going to be bought of by cheesy cameos.
Kelvin12
Carnivora
Location: In the back of your head, destroying every bit of knowledge you have.
Tings: 13791

Post by Kelvin12 »

Holy Crap wrote:
Kelvin12 wrote:AKA, they're using us as prawns to gain money.
Prawns? Do you possibly mean pawns?
Oh yeah. Too much District 9 for me. 8B

And PluMGMK, the game may look bland but it doesn't mean it should be boycott, if Ubi wants to make a soccer game that's fine with me, and if they want to add a couple Ubi icons, it's also fine with me. It doesn't mean it's not going to make any of the characters less, it's just that their extras in a a boring game.

The graphics by the way, a closer look, they're just as good as Ly from Rayman 2. Seriously, would it hurt to render a little bit more?
MrBadGuy
Antitoon

Post by MrBadGuy »

Yeah, maybe Ubi should keep making awful games so that they go bankrupt and have to sell the Rayman franchise to a company that cares...
Lijik
Antitoon

Post by Lijik »

spiraldoor wrote: I think that Nintendo indirectly contributed, what with their Wii development tools causing the cancellation of R4 and its recycling into RRR1.
If they did indirectly contribute then its effect on R4 becoming RRR is very minor. Ubisoft wanting as many games available for launch was what the prime factor in what caused the shift. RRR as we know it was cranked out in 6 months with a very strict deadline in order to have the game out on launch day. A decently lengthed minigame compliation is much easier to make than a decently lengthed platformer in that amount of time.
syntheticgerbil wrote: Things like Braid and Castle Crashers looks wonderful and aren't exactly done by hardened veterans either.
Um what? The people behind Castle Crashers have been making games and doing animation for well over a decade. The programmer for that game founded Newgrounds.(Back in 1995 if you didn't know). Johnathon Blow also had several small projects he did for few years before making Braid. Those are also 2d games made by smaller teams, which are easier to make look good than a 3d game as the art gets touched by less hands. The concept artist and the animator tend to be the same person in a 2d game. In a 3d game (especially with a larger team of people where you have seperate people doing each job), you've got a concept artist (or several), modellers, riggers, texture artists and animators. For a first time team at the size I'm assuming this one is it is much harder to coordinate a clear artistic vision among multiple people.
To use an example within Ubisoft: Donald Duck Goin' Quackers was the first game Ubisoft Montreal did the entirety of the artwork for and out of the three games that use the the Rayman 2 engine it looks the weakest (its also weak compared to other games released at that time). Flash forward to now, and that team is one of the best Ubisoft has to offer in terms of visuals. Far Cry 2, Prince of Persia 2008, and Shaun White: Road Trip are all some of the best looking games on their respective systems either on a stylistic or technical level (it also helps all 3 of those games have very well done gameplay in my opinion, but your opinion may vary).
syntheticgerbil wrote:It also makes me sad that they invest money in this tripe but don't put anything behind Ancel creations, who just seems to be working behind the curtains now doing nothing of importance.
This tripe is whats funding things like Ancel's creations. If you'll also notice, Ubisoft as a whole is a lot more secretive than they used to be. Back in the mid 90s they showed off anything and everything. There were magazine articles over the original 2d version of Rayman 2 and an early version of Tonic Trouble. Nowadays we don't see much from them until its close to completion. For example, most of Ancel's team had been working on Rabbids go Home since RRR1 was wrapped up but we didn't hear anything about until three years later. BG&E2 is an incredibly ambitious title thats going to take a long time before we see anything of it. Just because he's not showing anything doesn't mean hes not doing something. (unless you're trying to stealth troll that BG&E2 isn't important)
MrBadGuy99 wrote:Yeah, maybe Ubi should keep making awful games so that they go bankrupt and have to sell the Rayman franchise to a company that cares...
The Imagine! line is currently their biggest seller. Its also their worst products. Do you really want them to keep making awful games?
Haruka wrote:What I still don't get is why David Gasman didn't voiced Rayman on the Animated Series. :?
Maybe because he had nothing to do with the franchise at all when the show was being made? You can't get the voice of Rayman when he hasn't even been hired as the voice of Rayman. At that point in time the closest thing David did to voicing a Rayman character was voicing Ed in Tonic Trouble which isn't that close at all.
Xenon wrote:Ubisoft probably just couldn't be bothered to track him down, especially if the other guy was a cheaper alternative.
Ignoring that the idea of Ubisoft tracking down a man they hadn't even hired as Rayman's voice yet to do the voice on a show is completely ludicrous, theres no way in hell Billy West would have been cheaper than David Gasman.
Acarr
Électoon

Post by Acarr »

I don't see why another company just doesn't get a Rayman license for a year or so.
spiraldoor
Oumbr
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor »

Lijik wrote:
spiraldoor wrote: I think that Nintendo indirectly contributed, what with their Wii development tools causing the cancellation of R4 and its recycling into RRR1.
If they did indirectly contribute then its effect on R4 becoming RRR is very minor. Ubisoft wanting as many games available for launch was what the prime factor in what caused the shift. RRR as we know it was cranked out in 6 months with a very strict deadline in order to have the game out on launch day. A decently lengthed minigame compliation is much easier to make than a decently lengthed platformer in that amount of time.
You seem to be agreeing with me.
Acarr wrote:I don't see why another company just doesn't get a Rayman license for a year or so.
'Permanently' would be preferable.