[Book] The History of Rayman, Pix'n Love Editions.

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Haruka
Rayman 2
Location: Earth: Occidental Lusitanian strand ; Glade of Dreams: Deep in the forests
Tings: 176740

Re: [Book] The History of Rayman, Pix'n Love Editions.

Postby Haruka » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:11 pm

Motormike wrote:And it's not me who doesn't allow scaning books, it's simply the law.

This is what we have been trying to tell you, OCG.

OCG
Roméo Patti
Tings: 9615

Postby OCG » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Motormike wrote:Not a big fan of unboxing videos. Always found that useless. Anyway, I can't forbid you to do so if you want to. ^^ And it's not me who doesn't allow scaning books, it's simply the law.

Thanks, be sure I won't spoil anything and will give a shoutout to you for making the book and will encourage more people to buy it.
Bradandez wrote:@OCG You're not a criminal. I am. I scanned the entirety of "The Art of Rayman Origins", remember?
I soiled the good name of justice!

Sorry, I for a second thought that comment was directed to me and that you on indirect way called me criminal. Apologises for thinking that. Anyways I think all of us scanned something at some point so nobody should feel bad. We were all "criminals" at some point.
Haruka wrote:
Motormike wrote:And it's not me who doesn't allow scaning books, it's simply the law.

This is what we have been trying to tell you, OCG.

The international law do not apply at my location and one can be only legally prosecuted if they pirate local books, movies and media. Anything foreign they do not care. Heck even cops here buy bootleg american movies themselves and I was witness of that on street multiple times. One time one cop jokingly even said that picture quality better be good as original and not recorded in cinema with phone. Good comparison with that can be Chinese law. For example, Nintendo cannot sue Chinese copy "Chintento Vii" and there are many rip-off games sold there that use Nintendo music and sound effects (Good example is Duludubi Star which is combination of Spyro, Super Mario Galaxy and Klonoa and uses all sound effects from those games). What should be done at my location for this to be less common is same thing done in Russia. In Russia, original games are cheaper than avarage bootleg price since they think that is best way to combat piracy. Only exception to that rule is Nintendo who even in Russia sells games with same price.

So considering all the things above, reason why I won't scan is not any fear of legal charge but rather respect for author and like you pointed earlier, being true Rayman fan and other Rayman fans should prove that too by buying book.

Now that I collected all these facts, one of the reasons why I might have trouble with shipping on some sites including Pix 'n' Love is because they might fear of piracy since it is really high here (compared to what others do here, I am saint) and deny to ship.

Perhaps reforming the law here won't be such bad idea.
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image

saerleiya
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5782

Postby saerleiya » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:04 pm

Well, having received it yesterday, I just finished reading the book.

Here is a review (without spoiling stuff outside of the main structure of the book and maybe a few things):

One could tell by reading the name of the book of Mickaël Guarné, The History Of Rayman, that it could be a detailed-but-classic summary of the different episodes of the franchise itself. You know, like "many" other gatherings of information around video game franchises to simply refresh our memories or make us discover things that a lot of people already know.

Well, guess what? This book is more than that. It is divided in main chapters focusing of course around the games themselves, but with the inside look from the people who worked around every "big" series of the franchise (Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are in the same one, for example). Because, as we know, there were way more factors than the ones we thought they were the only ones to have influenced and directed each one of the Rayman games. Interviews of Ubisoft members are flowing constantly, some of them being very well known by the public (Michel Ancel, Serge Hascoët, Christophe Héral,...), but a lot of others not that known.

More than that, Mickaël even shows us the entire inception of the limbless hero and the very debuts of Michel Ancel, when he was simply trying to create games with consoles most of us didn't even know they ever existed. Rayman is displayed as a very colourful, singular character created as much imagination and innovation than by influences and technology (game engines, for example, play a very important part into the way most Rayman games were designed).

More than a simple book with pictures here and there, the way narration is handled through each chapter is awesome: for every little part, you have dedicated images and drawings around the universe of Rayman, from the Glade of Dreams to its creators. There is also a part for some impacting characters of the franchise.

For those who haven't (or won't) be able to buy the artbook about the forgotten artworks of Rayman Origins/Legends, I can tell you that these are incredible: of course, soem of them had already appeared somewhere on the Internet before the release of it, but it's only a few of them. You will recognize a good number of them as inspired from the worlds we already know from Origins and Legends. However, a few others take us to an unexplored zone of the universe Ubisoft created through the last two games. The last one about Olympus Maximus is also very funny (like, "seriously guys? :lol: ").

As a result: an awesome book, really worth its price if you are not already a big Rayman fan. if you are, well, WHY ARE YOU STILL WAITING? Just buy it (and no Fry, I won't use you :roll: ).

Thank Mickaël (Motormike) once again for all his incredible work about our favourite limbless hero. This was something Rayman really needed, especially since many people just discovered him with the last two games, or maybe simply through the Rabbids. I hope you will get the recognition for your hardwork and your dedication to the game.

I found typos, but hey, as we say in French, "une goutte d'eau dans un océan".
Adsolution wrote:
saerleiya wrote:RayFag'
Aahh, you're exposing my Rule34 account.

Shrooblord
Froutch
Tings: 60095

Postby Shrooblord » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:05 pm

OldClassicGamer wrote:Anyways I think all of us scanned something at some point so nobody should feel bad. We were all "criminals" at some point.
Fuck, I once scanned one of my own sketches. Damn, I copyright infringed myself! Well, guys, looks like it's the slammer for me.
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~!
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.

OCG
Roméo Patti

Postby OCG » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:08 pm

Much terrible thing dude, all the consquences... :(

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image

Shrooblord
Froutch

Postby Shrooblord » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:13 pm

OCG, will you help me when YouTube censors my account for uploading a video in which I played a song I've written? :c
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.

OCG
Roméo Patti

Postby OCG » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:16 pm

Relax Shroobie. Whatever the problem is on YouTube, we can always solve it with some sorcery here and there :proud:

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image

Shrooblord
Froutch

Postby Shrooblord » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:19 pm

I'd love to see a copyright bot flag something official and see it all go horribly awry.

Haruka
Rayman 2
Location: Earth: Occidental Lusitanian strand ; Glade of Dreams: Deep in the forests

Postby Haruka » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:21 am

Thanks for the review, Saer. Clara showed me the Rayman Legends "forgotten" drawings yesterday and I can confirm that few of them were already seen in different corners of the internet but still, the never-seen ones are pretty good. I can't wait to get the book in the next days, I'll try to talk about interesting details I eventually find. :)

Eshap
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 10182

Postby Eshap » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Almost 8pm at night and a man in a heavy French accent handed my book over to my dad! Whoopee! :D

The book is awesome! So much so, even my mother (who is also a fan) read through all the pages. My favourite section has to be Rayman 1- so much gorgeous concept art. I especially love the one where Rayman puts his head between his... Not legs and looks behind him. If scanning weren't illegal, I would have made it my Skype icon.
Last edited by Eshap on Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rayfist wrote:It's r34 artwork. Haha Jesus christ Eshap.

Motormike
Moustique
Tings: 920

Postby Motormike » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:57 pm

Thanks a lot saerleiya for your detailed review. :D
Twitter : @Motor_Mike
PSN/WiiU id : motormike

saerleiya
Dora Dodemer

Postby saerleiya » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:57 pm

I could make a bigger and more detailed one, but spoilers/rights :lol:
Adsolution wrote:

OCG
Roméo Patti

Postby OCG » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:00 pm

As long as it's just text, you are not infringing anything (to my knowledge at least, maybe French law works different?). As for spoilers, use spoiler tags :P

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image

THEdragon
Musicien
Tings: 47395

Postby THEdragon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:26 pm

Eshap wrote:Almost 8pm at night and a man in a heavy French accent handed my book over to my dad! Whoopee! :D

The book is awesome! So much so, even my mother (who is also a fan) read through all the pages. My favourite section has to be Rayman 1- so much gorgeous concept art. I especially love the one where Rayman puts his head between his... Not legs and looks behind him. If scanning weren't illegal, I would have made it my Skype icon.

Actually, I think I've seen the sketch you're talking about. It was also in that video interview with Michel Ancel, along with the sketch on the front of the book.
When you defeat nine antitoons with one punch!

Haruka
Rayman 2

Postby Haruka » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:39 pm

After a day of school, I arrive home and see the lovely parcel placed on my desk! L’Histoire de Rayman has finally arrived :D!

I had a quick look to the large book and a few number of pictures are neverseen ones with the majority corresponding to the Rayman 1 era. Its a shame we can't show them because they are really pretty!

For the small book they are all Rayman Legends related and equally gorgeous with the majority being really unseen pictures while few were actually spotted on the internet before.

The print quality of both books are excellent (I love the smell too!) which also explains their “high” price but although I didn’t read the text (because I’ll need some help) yet I already see there’s lots of information inside so I'm pretty sure this was well worth the money. For me it already feels like a dream come true that such book was actually made, its something I was really wanting to exist for a long time!

I'll take a good while to read everything but once I find interesting stuff I'll go straight to the point and tell what I found in a resumed way.

Shrooblord
Froutch

Postby Shrooblord » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:41 pm

I'm gonna find me my French friends and read this together with them. It'll be like story time all over again! x)

OCG
Roméo Patti

Postby OCG » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:03 am

Haruka wrote:After a day of school, I arrive home and see the lovely parcel placed on my desk! L’Histoire de Rayman has finally arrived :D!

Awesome, you finally got it :D
I am curious to see R1 related stuff a lot. Mine was shipped today it seems.

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image

Shrooblord
Froutch

Postby Shrooblord » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:37 pm

What's this? Could it be?
http://oi62.tinypic.com/rtj52p.jpg
It is! It is!
http://oi57.tinypic.com/9hujvt.jpg

The Legends art book has some great pieces of art in it. I won't dare open up L'Histoire itself yet until my exams are over, lest I get lost in its content! But It's here and it's lookin' gud.

Haruka
Rayman 2

Postby Haruka » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:44 pm

I can't open the links but I'm glad you received the book! :D

saerleiya
Dora Dodemer

Postby saerleiya » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:54 pm

Shrooblord wrote:I won't dare open up L'Histoire itself yet until my exams are over, lest I get lost in its content!

Yes, avoid doing that. Better for ya ;) (and your exams).

There is also a book about Michel Ancel on Pix'n'love's website. I wonder if I should buy this one too. hum hum hum...
Adsolution wrote:

Return to “Rayman”