When will we get to see new Rayman, realistically?

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

When will we get to see new Rayman, realistically?

Post by Keane »

>Pretty average sales for Legends
>Obviously another 2D game on top Origins/Legends/Jungle Run/Fiesta Run/Adventures is overkill
>But Legends' sales probably aren't making Ubisoft very excited about investing in a whole 'nother 3D platformer
>Ubisoft in general seems to be in a kind of bleh period (Assassin's Creed losing steam, Rabbids are dying off, Rayman isn't a huge mascot, Splinter Cell undersold)
>Adventures feels like Ubi's last step to cash in on 2D Rayman before it turns into NSMB, got some criticism for the lack of new ideas

3D or not, I feel like ray might be back in limbo for a while. Not necessarily implying that rayman is kill, but I really don't expect another genuine console title anytime soon. Will we actually see new Rayman continue into a consistent series?
Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 137530

Re: When will we get to see new Rayman, realistically?

Post by Bradandez »

Yeah, I can't say for sure if Rayman will get another console game anytime soon. All I can say is that Adventures is there to satisfy people who wanted more from Origins/Legends, like me, on a much smaller scale and to at least make some profit from it.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

Raymans facebook and twitter page has several times confirmed that no new Rayman title except Adventures is in development, but we can always hope that if Adventures goes well they'll change they're minds and make a real console game. A third 2D game wouldn't really work unless they added something very big to it, like online multiplayer. But it would still seem repetitive then.
Last edited by RayCarrot on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GOT4N
Photographe
Tings: 400

Post by GOT4N »

Carrot-master wrote:Raymans facebook and twitter page has several times confirmed that no new Rayman title except Adventures is in development, but we can always hope that if Adventures goes well they'll change they're minds and make a real console game. A third 2D game wouldn't really work unless they added something very bid to it, like online multiplayer. But it would still seem repetitive then.
I'd say the same. Although I actually wished we would had a Rayman 4
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

As I expressed myself before, I highly doubt we will see anything new before E3 2016 and yet, if Ubisoft is really telling the truth concerning Rayman Adventures being the only title of the franchise in development, then I fear we won't really see anything before E3 2017 or even 2018. It is a bit a sad but we all have to admit that things aren't going for Rayman as we would like to, as Legends sales weren't as high as expected by the company. I blame the following:

- Lack of publicity/marketing (Try to compare with the publicities made back in Rayman 2 and more recently, Rayman Origins. It is nothing related.)

- Bad choice in the (final) release date (Everyone knows what the crowd, kids included (!), is going to purchase if you show them Rayman Legends in one hand and GTA V in other hand. September is not a favourable month for gaming purchase either but this is my personal opinion as I think they could have moved for November if they really had the chance, but then, I understand if there were other factors stopping that option to be put in practice)

- Successive delays (Don't get me wrong, delays are generally a good thing and I appreciate that because it means that the game was not ready yet and needed room for improvement. It makes me relieved to know that delays happened because when I look back and do comparisions of game content in the course of the development, Rayman Legends would have been a VERY short game and with no boss battles (!). I personally would have prefered totally new levels instead of remakes of almost the entire Rayman Origins game. It felt repetitive for players that played RO between 2011 until 2013. Although the game got improved in terms of content, I remember seeing a lot of people angry...)

- Premature canceling of exclusivity (Here's the polemic fact: this game was going to be a Wii U exclusive. Many fans bought a Wii U in purpose to play it, and some of them already owning other systems. Suddenly, it will go multiplatform. I don't need to continue to go on, as we saw what happened. I knew it would eventually go multiplatform but I did not expect to happen before the game release. Fortunately, I also had in account the Nintendo exclusives so I did not get very mad about it but others did take it badly and even threatned boycotting the game (I wonder if everybody was true to their words in the end...))

- Proliferation of Smartdevices (In these latest years the smartdevices evolved a lot. They are more powerful with more functionalities and even more accessible to the general public. The result is that almost everyone has got at least a smartdevice at home and it is very common to see people playing casual games in them. I am constantly seeing that in the train and subway. I would like to think it is a fashion but this actually makes me concerned as a PC/Console gamer as I fear companies will start to ignore us as microtransactions seem to be the real thing now. Even Nintendo announced its first smartphone game so you see. But then, I also highly doubt these devices will replace the "real" games as I don't really see that happening.)

I believe these facts are enough to explain why Ubisoft is not living a golden era with Rayman at this moment. And as Keane refered, it doesn't just apply to him, but also the Rabbids (no big surprise in my opinion as every time I visit France I witnessed a brutal decrease in merchandising stock) and other IPs.

Better times should eventually come.
ikke471
Antitoon
Location: Who knows? Did you check your closet? I would If I were you...
Tings: 0

Post by ikke471 »

I don't think they're gonna make another 2d one anytime soon.
But what I do see is 3D collect-a-thon platformers making a return (Yooka-Laylee and Hat in time are the two major ones right now) and I think Ubi will eventually pick up on that once they release and make lots of moola (which I expect they do). so I expect we'll hear something around 2017 (I doubt they're gonna let Ancel Work on it if WiLD and presumably BG&E2 are still in development though so it might take longer).
Acarr
Électoon

Post by Acarr »

I feel it's too late for a "Rayman 4" title, Rayman 3 came out over 10 years ago.
Rayman Origins was fantastically successful and it saved Rayman. Making a Rayman 4 would be less "will it be disappointing to the fans?" and more "will it be worth our time/money"?

I'd absolutely love to see a new multiplayer game, Rayman M style, but with the current art style? Or maybe that could be one way of seeing if a 3D Rayman game could work again...
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Nostalgy aside, I still think that Rayman M is a fantastic spin-off. I still like to play it ocasionally, and now with the possibility to play online through Evolve with the NA version it is even better. :D
Acarr
Électoon

Post by Acarr »

I love Rayman M, though I have no friends who are willing to even attempt to play against me :lol: (a Rayman M scores topic I made a good while back was good fun I remember)
OCG
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9905

Post by OCG »

Acarr wrote:I love Rayman M, though I have no friends who are willing to even attempt to play against me :lol:
We have Skype group with people from RPC who play Rayman Arena online so if you want, you can join group and play against other players ;)
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
SpyroGuy
Céloche
Tings: 7416

Post by SpyroGuy »

OCG wrote: We have Skype group with people from RPC who play Rayman Arena online so if you want, you can join group and play against other players ;)
I'm more than ready to play with any of you guys, just tell me which Skype group I have to join and I'm in! :D
OCG
Le Capitaine

Post by OCG »

I think I have you on Skype so I will add you to group. But I cannot play today sadly. I am busy. Perhaps other people will be avalible?

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
SpyroGuy
Céloche
Tings: 7416

Post by SpyroGuy »

OCG wrote:I think I have you on Skype so I will add you to group. But I cannot play today sadly. I am busy. Perhaps other people will be avalible?
Just add me to the group. :D
I didn't say that I'll be available to play right now, I just wanna be the part of a group which has the players to have fun with just in case I get the chance to play the game.
OCG
Le Capitaine

Post by OCG »

SpyroGuy wrote:
OCG wrote:I think I have you on Skype so I will add you to group. But I cannot play today sadly. I am busy. Perhaps other people will be avalible?
Just add me to the group. :D
I didn't say that I'll be available to play right now, I just wanna be the part of a group which has the players to have fun with just in case I get the chance to play the game.
I added you.

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer

Post by Bradandez »

GOT4N wrote:I'd say the same. Although I actually wished we would had a Rayman 4
>Still thinking Rayman 4 will be made
Acarr wrote:I'd absolutely love to see a new multiplayer game, Rayman M style, but with the current art style? Or maybe that could be one way of seeing if a 3D Rayman game could work again...
RAYMAN M SEQUEL! WITH RAYMAN, GLOBOX, TEENSIES, PRINCESSES, NYMPHS, AND SOME VILLAINS AS PLAYABLE CHARACTERS! Just use characters that are actually cool.

And also my idea for a new 3D game is to have the playable characters from Origins/Legends (that'd be Rayman, Globox, the Teensies, and Barbara) and have them have special moves/attributes. Or have the game play out like Super Mario 3D World.
Acarr
Électoon

Post by Acarr »

Bradandez wrote:
Acarr wrote:I'd absolutely love to see a new multiplayer game, Rayman M style, but with the current art style? Or maybe that could be one way of seeing if a 3D Rayman game could work again...
RAYMAN M SEQUEL! WITH RAYMAN, GLOBOX, TEENSIES, PRINCESSES, NYMPHS, AND SOME VILLAINS AS PLAYABLE CHARACTERS! Just use characters that are actually cool.
Yeah! No fucking Tily the fairy please.
Bradandez wrote:And also my idea for a new 3D game is to have the playable characters from Origins/Legends (that'd be Rayman, Globox, the Teensies, and Barbara) and have them have special moves/attributes. Or have the game play out like Super Mario 3D World.
I'd still just play as Rayman haha
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer

Post by Bradandez »

Acarr wrote:Yeah! No fucking Tily the fairy please.
And no Razorwife! But I gotta admit, her theme song was pretty sweet!
Acarr wrote:I'd still just play as Rayman haha
And that's totally cool with me. It's just now that they introduced these characters into the playable roster, it's kind of a kick to the balls to take them away.
As for the Super Mario 3D World idea, some may say it's not meant for Rayman. But the same has been said towards Origins & Legends. And I think a Super Mario 3D World-esque game would be a great step forward for the UbiArt Rayman games.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Keep Henchman 1000 though, he looks cool.
Squiz
Oiseau Rouge
Tings: 142

Post by Squiz »

I would love a new 3D Rayman game like CGI trailers we had for Legends and Adventures, with story and voice acting.
incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito »

Bradandez wrote:
GOT4N wrote:I'd say the same. Although I actually wished we would had a Rayman 4
>Still thinking Rayman 4 will be made

Hoodlums as playable characters ?