How would I open fix.lvl and fix.ptr on a game running the same engine as Ray 2?

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

dinotora
Œil Rebondissant
Tings: 25

How would I open fix.lvl and fix.ptr on a game running the same engine as Ray 2?

Post by dinotora »

Dinosaur modder again.
Again, I ask for help.
I've been going fairly smoothly along in ripping the .bnm and .apm files of Disney's Dinosaur, a game that runs on the same engine as Ray 2. However, one thing I've never been able to get open is the .lvl and .ptr files.
I've noticed some talk about such files here, and was wondering if you guys here have any tool that could open these files.
I run a x64 PC so running my game is unfortunately not an option. (I can't even get the CNT file open even with the tools here :( )
Any help would be appreciated.
You may ask for the files in the game, and I will do my best to supply them in their original form.

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Re: How would I open fix.lvl and fix.ptr on a game running the same engine as Ray 2?

Post by Adsolution »

Unlike the SNA and GPT files in Rayman 2, LVL and PTR filrs aren't encrypted, so you can view them normally in any hex editor. The only way to "open" level files is with RayTwol, but it currently only supports Rayman 2's SNA (similar to LVL) files, and not 100% correctly at that (it only gets entity coordinates).

As for the CNT archives, you can view or extract them with Szymski's tools. Check the github link for the extractor source.

szymski
Ambre Écueil
Tings: 6300

Re: How would I open fix.lvl and fix.ptr on a game running the same engine as Ray 2?

Post by szymski »

I've just downloaded the game. It is based on modified R2's engine, yet not the same as final Rayman 3 was (bnm and apm files present). LVL and PTR files are fortunately the same as in R3 and I'm working on extracting level geometry from them. Concat Files are the same, but I tried converting GF files to PNG, using R2 as well as R3 method and failed (image).
Good morning, that's a nice Tnetennba.

dinotora
Œil Rebondissant
Tings: 25

Post by dinotora »

Love the corrupted image. At least you could get something lmao.
The game, from what I know, is based on a mix of R2 and R3 engine (look at the icon in the main .exe, it's got a leftover Ray 2 logo in it)