Rayman 2 Revolution 60fps hack (requires PCSX2 and good PC)

Discuss tools to aid in the modification and running of Rayman games.

Moderators: English moderators, Modding and utilities team

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Granville
Incrediball
Tings: 390

Rayman 2 Revolution 60fps hack (requires PCSX2 and good PC)

Post by Granville »

All credit goes to a PCSX2 forum member named asasega. I hope this is okay to post here, I figured it would be better than it being buried in the regular Rayman 2 thread. The PS2 Rayman 2 Revolution has always fascinated and attracted me. It has some substantial visual upgrades, particularly to the level geometry. The problem is that it unfortunately has a 30fps cap (with framerate drops further below that), unlike the Dreamcast or PC versions which target and mostly keep a fluid 60fps. There is now a sort of workaround to get the PS2 version running at 60fps if you aren't opposed to learning and using emulators and have a powerful enough computer to handle it. Keep in mind that this is for the US version of the game: SLUS_20138.

You need to have some knowledge of how to use the PCSX2 emulator, which you can get here (either the official release or the GIT development versions seem to work)-
http://pcsx2.net/

I won't go through the steps to setting up the emulator or running games on it (you can find all of this online), nor the visual enhancements you can get out of it. What you need beyond that though is to create a new file in the cheats folder (which will be in the same directory as PCSX2). Name that file D2F77DF2.pnach and open it in wordpad (or whatever equivalent program). Copy and paste the following into it (save the file after you're done)-

Code: Select all

gametitle=Rayman 2 - Revolution (SLUS_20138)
comment=60fps

// 60fps
patch=1,EE,2010121C,extended,00000000
With that done, you can start up PCSX2. Make sure "enable cheats" is checked in the System menu, now the game should run at 60fps. The emulator has a lot of nice visual enhancements (resolution, anti aliasing etc).

There is also a widescreen hack inside cheats_ws.zip. Just make a new folder in the PCSX2 directory called cheats_ws and extract the contents of that cheats_ws zip archive into the cheats_ws folder. There is an option in the PCSX2 system menu to enable these widescreen patches. The only problem i've found with the widescreen fix are that certain 2D light coronas can be a little off center to their light sources. Not a big deal though IMO.

I have an Intel Core i5 4670K overclocked to 4.2ghz and Geforce GTX 1060. It runs the game smoothly with no lag, but I imagine you can get by with lesser hardware. Note that the framerate still isn't flawless. It targets 60fps and does maintain it 95% of the time, but there are a few occasions where it will briefly drop back down to 30fps (generally when you transition to a new area). It quickly returns back to 60fps within a couple of seconds though. I may fiddle with the emulator's speedhacks (particularly EE overclock) to see if it smooths anything out further. I have played through about 25% of the game with the hack and it seems to work beautifully so far.

Source for this hack-
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-60-fps-c ... #pid549454
ICUP321
Bébé Globox
Tings: 625

Re: Rayman 2 Revolution 60fps hack (requires PCSX2 and good PC)

Post by ICUP321 »

I decided to give this code a shot and it works like a charm!
My PC isn't good enough to run Rayman Revolution at 100% speed consistently all the time, though.

Anyways, here's some gameplay I recorded if anybody is interested:
CHRdutch
El Stomacho
Tings: 23733

Post by CHRdutch »

ICUP321 wrote:I decided to give this code a shot and it works like a charm!
My PC isn't good enough to run Rayman Revolution at 100% speed consistently all the time, though.

Why is the game running soooo slooooow? :|
Ambidextroid wrote:< was in such a rush < had no time for breakfast, so < took a fistful of corn flakes and stuffed them in <'s mouth, then poured milk over the top. It worked but it drizzled milk all over <'s front...
Record Day 2015 madness
ICUP321
Bébé Globox
Tings: 625

Post by ICUP321 »

CHRdutch wrote:
ICUP321 wrote:I decided to give this code a shot and it works like a charm!

Why is the game running soooo slooooow? :|
If you are talking about my video it's because my PC, or more specifically, my CPU is a piece of shit that can't process a PS2 game. That and PCSX2 eats up your CPU usage.
Granville
Incrediball
Tings: 390

Post by Granville »

I''ve beaten most of the game using this hack now, from a New Game. Only the final Prison Ship level and Crows Nest boss left and I doubt I will have any trouble with the rest. I guess my PC has enough power to handle this, the only time I had a frame drop was in one single area in the Sanctuary of Rock and Lava. Patch works great, haven't run into any problems with it at all.
dr_st
Eig
Tings: 40788

Post by dr_st »

Hm.

According to FRAPS, PCSX2 with Rayman Revolution was already running at 60FPS before this hack. However, when I enabled the hack, everything started running really slow. I assume therefore, that PCSX2 was really running the game at 30FPS and upscaling it to 60FPS? And when I enabled the hack, it actually tried to run it at 60FPS, but my PC being much slower than Granville's, couldn't really handle it. Does this sound like a good assessment?

I wonder what tricks can be used to optimize PCSX2. Perhaps disabling various graphical goodies? It will be interesting to see if the game feels nicer running at higher framerate, even with less eye candy.
Pixelise
Lums Vert
Tings: 90

Post by Pixelise »

I can confirm that this hack also perfectly works on original PS2 and adding widescreen patch and forcing the game to run at 1080p is awesome!
I'm mystery... Can call me Shadow.... I like cookies.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Wait, how do you do that to an original PS2?
CHRdutch
El Stomacho
Tings: 23733

Post by CHRdutch »

Master wrote:Wait, how do you do that to an original PS2?
Ambidextroid wrote:< was in such a rush < had no time for breakfast, so < took a fistful of corn flakes and stuffed them in <'s mouth, then poured milk over the top. It worked but it drizzled milk all over <'s front...
Record Day 2015 madness
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

I should give a shot to this once I can but I remember to have tested the most recent version of the emulator a few months ago and significant improvements were done in the game's framerate, without any need for particular tweeks. If only a similar thing could be done in PC version because most of the time it is 30Fps locked and rarely it decides to go on double, but I believe it is the port's fault.

EDIT: I will be frank, I noticed no difference at all with both the cheat mode on or off. Even when I follow up the FPS valours.
Pixelise
Lums Vert
Tings: 90

Post by Pixelise »

Master wrote:Wait, how do you do that to an original PS2?
I'm personally using PS2 Fat with HDD. And patched the game with widescreen and 60FPS with ps2 patch engine.
But you can also burn the disc with game :v
I'm mystery... Can call me Shadow.... I like cookies.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Decided to give this a shot. When it works, it works, but in larger open areas, such as the beach in the Minisaurus Plain, I still got quite a bit of slowdown. I don't know if that's down to the game or if I just don't have the power with the emulation, but that's the issue I've got.
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

I know this thread is a year old. I used to love the first Rayman game as a kid on PS1. I went years without playing any other Rayman games thinking it won't be the same new ones never are. I played origins only 2 months ago and I loved it so much that I got every achievement for it on XBOX 360 then bought it for PS3 and Vita. Then got legends and loved that so bought that on every console too. I dug through my PS2 games and found Rayman 3 so played it and completed it and liked that one too. Now I go take out my Dreamcast and fire up Rayman 2 since I've never played it and it's great so far. I seen the PS1 version of it looks absolutely awful compared to the Dreamcast and runs at half the framerate then found out revolution is the same game so thought great I've to try that out.

It runs absolutely awful. I'm in a PAL area (Ireland) and it's 25fps and less (it actually drops from 25fps).

It looks very colourful and vibrant compared to the dreamcast version and the PlayStation versions speak English instead of Raymanian but that's about it. The Dreamcast version is way better at 60fps. I think it was just a lazy PS2 port seeing as Rayman 3 runs a lot better. Still gets drops but it's way way better.

You can see here that the PS2 copy (top) has brighter colours than the Dreamcast one (bottom). That's about it but it runs so much better on Dreamcast and only drops from 60fps when there's smoke being rendered for like 1 second or so. I missed out for years but I'm catching back up and playing every one of the Rayman games now to make up for it. The whole series seems brilliant.
Collage 2018-02-25 14_51_47.jpg
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102730

Post by PluMGMK »

I don't know if I'd call it lazy port. The team clearly put a lot of work into it. But indeed, most of that work was them getting carried away rewriting and restructuring the whole game rather than optimizing the engine for PS2. In fact they used RenderWare as a backend, which was something they hadn't resorted to for any other version as far as I know.
(Also nice to see a fellow Irish person :mrgreen:)
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

PluMGMK wrote:I don't know if I'd call it lazy port. The team clearly put a lot of work into it. But indeed, most of that work was them getting carried away rewriting and restructuring the whole game rather than optimizing the engine for PS2. In fact they used RenderWare as a backend, which was something they hadn't resorted to for any other version as far as I know.
(Also nice to see a fellow Irish person :mrgreen:)
Well yeah that's kind of what I meant. Not so much lazy but exactly as you said it's like they tried to make it look better rather than optimising the engine. Don't get me wrong it's still very playable but the fluid Dreamcast version is much better. When I heard Rayman 2 was on the Dreamcast I immediately set it up to try lol. What a great game to try on it. I kind of prefer them to speak Raymanian it looks better for some reason lol.

Yeah we don't see many Irish on these do we :mrgreen:

Edit: I love the VMU here. The running one is even animated :mrgreen:
Collage 2018-02-25 16_41_33.jpg
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

Harpic fraîcheur
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by Harpic fraîcheur »

Oh yeah, this Dreamcast version of Rayman 2 is just gold. It's so far my favorite version of R2! :D
Une nouvelle vague de fraîcheur, Harpic fraîcheur verte ! :D
Image Image
Steo
Globox

Post by Steo »

Harpic fraîcheur wrote:Oh yeah, this Dreamcast version of Rayman 2 is just gold. It's so far my favorite version of R2! :D
Yeah it's really good in my opinion. Looks ahead of it's time for when it was released.

The great thing about these Rayman games is they don't get boring and you can literally play them over and over :)

Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

The Dreamcast version is certainly the best version of the original game, but I still have a soft spot towards the PC version, and I much prefer the Hall of Door over the Isle of Doors.
Rare Rayman images Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Feel free to share any rare media that's missing.
Harpic fraîcheur
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by Harpic fraîcheur »

Steo wrote:The great thing about these Rayman games is they don't get boring and you can literally play them over and over :)
Oh yeah, old Rayman games are just magical my man. ;)
Greeness wrote:The Dreamcast version is certainly the best version of the original game, but I still have a soft spot towards the PC version, and I much prefer the Hall of Door over the Isle of Doors.
It's kinda hard to compare those hubs due to how different they are. :P
Une nouvelle vague de fraîcheur, Harpic fraîcheur verte ! :D
Image Image
Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

That's true, but to me it is just more aesthetically pleasing and has a much greater emphasis on movement.
Rare Rayman images Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Feel free to share any rare media that's missing.