Rayman DSI and GBA Soundtrack

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique
Tings: 25637

Rayman DSI and GBA Soundtrack

Post by StelzenBomber »

So i hear a LOT of peapole complaining that these 2 versions dont have the full soundtrack but...i honestly dont get why they think these 2 could ever have the full ost

For dsi its a bit less obvious but, its a downloadable game, the full soundtrack whould be way too much to fit on the dsi ware store
I mean,i bet the whole ost on the ps1 disc is at least 1 GB
I BET if the game game out on cardrige, the whoule soundtrack would be on there

On gba its very obvious, its a damn gba
How else would they fit a soundtrack like this on just 1 GBA cardrige?
Simply, they couldnt

Also on the reason why its 8 bit... Idk maby because they couldnt do it otherwise?

Also i belive that 5 tracks from the ps1 couldnt even fit on the cardrige
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Re: Rayman DSI and GBA Soundtrack

Post by Adsolution »

Alright, well you're misunderstanding a few things about how audio formats and compression work. :mrgreen:
StelzenBomber wrote:Also i belive that 5 tracks from the ps1 couldnt even fit on the cardrige
That depends how compressed they are. The PS1 tracks are uncompressed because they had the space for that.
StelzenBomber wrote:For dsi its a bit less obvious but, its a downloadable game, the full soundtrack whould be way too much to fit on the dsi ware store
This probably is the reason, but take note of how compressed the tracks are. Each track on the PS1 takes up around 10-20 MB, whereas compressed how they are on the DSI, they'd likely only take up about 2-3.
StelzenBomber wrote:On gba its very obvious, its a damn gba
Simply, they couldnt

Also on the reason why its 8 bit... Idk maby because they couldnt do it otherwise?
Let's re-arrange this a little bit~

Also on the reason why its 8 bit... its a damn gba

They could easily fit the entire soundtrack on the GBA, because it's MIDI. A single track only takes up a few kilobytes, if that. They didn't include all 50 tracks because they probably didn't feel like remaking 50 tracks for the port.
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique

Post by StelzenBomber »

Adsolution wrote:Alright, well you're misunderstanding a few things about how audio formats and compression work. :mrgreen:
StelzenBomber wrote:Also i belive that 5 tracks from the ps1 couldnt even fit on the cardrige
That depends how compressed they are. The PS1 tracks are uncompressed because they had the space for that.
StelzenBomber wrote:For dsi its a bit less obvious but, its a downloadable game, the full soundtrack whould be way too much to fit on the dsi ware store
This probably is the reason, but take note of how compressed the tracks are. Each track on the PS1 takes up around 10-20 MB, whereas compressed how they are on the DSI, they'd likely only take up about 2-3.
StelzenBomber wrote:On gba its very obvious, its a damn gba
Simply, they couldnt

Let's re-arrange this a little bit~

Also on the reason why its 8 bit... its a damn gba

They could easily fit the entire soundtrack on the GBA, because it's MIDI. A single track only takes up a few kilobytes, if that. They didn't include all 50 tracks because they probably didn't feel like remaking 50 tracks for the port.

Ok

1: The tracks are cormpressed on dsi?
It sounds the same too me just with worse speekers than a TV

2:The rayman soundtrack is MIDI????????

3: Also could the gba speaker even handle one track?
I once heared if the DKC3 soundtrack would be ported to gba the speaker would go off in flames
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

StelzenBomber wrote:1: The tracks are cormpressed on dsi?
Try it with headphones.
StelzenBomber wrote:2:The rayman soundtrack is MIDI????????
I meant Rayman Advance. GBA music is MIDI.
StelzenBomber wrote:3: Also could the gba speaker even handle one track?
I once heared if the DKC3 soundtrack would be ported to gba the speaker would go off in flames
It's not the speaker, it's the cartridge capacity and RAM. If a GBA cartridge had the space to store high-quality audio and enough RAM to load it, you could play it back through the speaker just fine.
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique

Post by StelzenBomber »

Adsolution wrote:
StelzenBomber wrote:1: The tracks are cormpressed on dsi?
Try it with headphones.
StelzenBomber wrote:2:The rayman soundtrack is MIDI????????
I meant Rayman Advance. GBA music is MIDI.
StelzenBomber wrote:3: Also could the gba speaker even handle one track?
It's not the speaker, it's the cartridge capacity and RAM. If a GBA cartridge had the space to store high-quality audio and enough RAM to load it, you could play it back through the speaker just fine.
thanks but 1 thing...

Is it me or does it still sound the same with headvones as on a cd player?

they sound the same to me...
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Just compare listening to the game on the DSI to the PS1 soundtrack, both with headphones.
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique

Post by StelzenBomber »

Adsolution wrote:Just compare listening to the game on the DSI to the PS1 soundtrack, both with headphones.
Still sounds the same...

Is it because mr sax hubbalu?
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

StelzenBomber wrote:Is it because mr sax hubbalu?
I don't follow.
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique

Post by StelzenBomber »

Adsolution wrote:
StelzenBomber wrote:Is it because mr sax hubbalu?
I don't follow.
i mean, is it because i used this track for comperason?
WizardMinecraft
Électoon
Tings: 7

Post by WizardMinecraft »

Isn't the DSi technologicaly more advanced than the PS1? they could fit the entire ost of the PS1 original because DSi ware was mostly digital downloads.
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

Post by Keane »

Digital downloads take up storage space: the DSi came with 256 mb so if each music track is 2-3 mb it adds up pretty quickly. It would've been possible but not very practical.
Last edited by Keane on Tue May 01, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Yeah what Keane says makes sense. On PS1 there was 700mb on the CD which is just under 3 times as much space which was plenty. Then the speaker is fine as Adsolution says but it's a hardware limitation on GBA. If you take the speaker out and touch the 2 contacts off an RCA cable or something it will play music. The GBA is like the SNES (apart from being 32-bit vs 16-bit) and can only play 8 sound channels as far as I remember and it's mostly MIDI. 1 song on PS1 version probably takes up more space than the entire GBA Rayman game.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique

Post by StelzenBomber »

Steo wrote:Yeah what Keane says makes sense. On PS1 there was 700mb on the CD which is just under 3 times as much space which was plenty. Then the speaker is fine as Adsolution says but it's a hardware limitation on GBA. If you take the speaker out and touch the 2 contacts off an RCA cable or something it will play music. The GBA is like the SNES (apart from being 32-bit vs 16-bit) and can only play 8 sound channels as far as I remember and it's mostly MIDI. 1 song on PS1 version probably takes up more space than the entire GBA Rayman game.
great expplination