You know you suck at Rayman when...

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

THEdragon
Musicien
Tings: 47510

Re: You know you suck at Rayman when...

Post by THEdragon »

When you start having more fun repeatedly destroying the game's coding than actually playing the game.
When you defeat nine antitoons with one punch!

Dart
Aglagl
Tings: 49835

Post by Dart »

When the Rabbids decide to kill you because you aren't amusing enough.

CHRdutch
Bzzit
Tings: 23280

Post by CHRdutch »

...You die on the map screen.
YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/user/CHRdutch
Ambidextroid wrote:< was in such a rush < had no time for breakfast, so < took a fistful of corn flakes and stuffed them in <'s mouth, then poured milk over the top. It worked but it drizzled milk all over <'s front...
Record Day 2015 madness

THEdragon
Musicien
Tings: 47510

Post by THEdragon »

Why Rayman chops his fingers off with his helicopter hair.
When you defeat nine antitoons with one punch!

Eren
Bzzit
Tings: 24213

Post by Eren »

...You don't save the baby globoxes in Rayman Raving Rabbids

Oh wait :hinhin:
SIG UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Image Image
Steam Profile Youtube Account

#Toilet Paper#
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Post by #Toilet Paper# »

Thebananacrafter! wrote:When you dont know how to move on the Map Screen on Rayman 1 and thinking the magician takes you to Band land (that was me when i was 7)
what a noob lol
Image ImageImage

The FISTING ORDER is a club of fags

PS: J'ai pété et ça pue.

Acarr
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by Acarr »

... you start screaming because the character's arms and legs are missing

Hoozang
Paluchard
Tings: 240

Post by Hoozang »

...when you need to buy a "Easy Mode DLC" because the first enemy is too damn strong.

Ray502
Poulet Zombie
Tings: 125

Post by Ray502 »

Bump. Memories made from this thread.

When it takes 20 tries to break open the first Electoon cage.

Rayman: Razorbeard's Vengeance

Rayman 2: The Alternate Side (Demo Available Now!)

FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556

Lysol
Rayman Origins
Tings: 1243290

Post by Lysol »

You know you suck at Rayman when Ray502 starts bullying Fifo in the you game.

CHRdutch
Bzzit
Tings: 23280

Post by CHRdutch »

You know you suck at Rayman when the plums scare you so much that they cause you to spill your drink over your keyboard.
YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/user/CHRdutch
Ambidextroid wrote:< was in such a rush < had no time for breakfast, so < took a fistful of corn flakes and stuffed them in <'s mouth, then poured milk over the top. It worked but it drizzled milk all over <'s front...
Record Day 2015 madness

Ray502
Poulet Zombie

Post by Ray502 »

When Rayman keeps throwing the plum and it keeps bouncing off of the plum posts.

FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer
Location: An tír ina labhraítear (beagán ar fad) an teanga ina bhfuil sé seo scríofa
Tings: 5315

Post by PluMGMK »

That can happen in the Sanctuary of Stone and Fire actually! Only plums from a certain tree can actually bind to the posts.

Ray502
Poulet Zombie

Post by Ray502 »

Really? I don't think I've ever seen that before. :o

When the Shock Rocket won't cause the gongs to make a sound.

PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer
Location: An tír ina labhraítear (beagán ar fad) an teanga ina bhfuil sé seo scríofa

Post by PluMGMK »

I made a video: The popping-up text isn't great, I know, but I wasn't in the mood for a voiceover today!

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404185

Post by Master »

Plum not enthusiastically voicing a video on the topic of Plums? Heresy, says I.

On the video itself, I hadn't thought about it until now, but yeah. I always never manage to get the plum I rode on to go onto the post. It's always the one I get from the tree after failing. Very curious behaviour, long shot, but is there any other place in Rayman 2 where this could be tested out?

PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer

Post by PluMGMK »

I don't think so. Come to think of it, plums only appear in four levels: the Sanctuary of Stone and Fire, the Echoing Caves, the Fairy Glade and the Iron Mountains. The only place posts appear is right there in the video.

Actually another thing I thought of recently but never tried out is getting rid of the plum that spawns when you defeat the mini-Jano. Seems to me that it should be possible, since you can throw it out the way you came in, right? I might try it tomorrow…
EDIT: Either way, you know you suck at Rayman if you do that. :P

Droolie
Oumbr
Tings: 59260

Post by Droolie »

Have you tried throwing the plum from the other tree onto the post while the plum from the tree that's tied to the post is bouncing around somewhere?

If that doesn't work it's time to delve deeper and go research paper mode for the mysterious case of plum posts and trees.

Why Plum Posts Are Bound To Specific Plum Trees: A Short Study
ir. Drol Piraat
[email protected]érayman.fr

We strongly suspect plum posts are bound to specific plum trees to prevent gameplay problems from arising. To prove this hypothesis, consider the case where any plum from any tree can be thrown onto any plum post. Remember that plum trees do not regrow new plums while an older plum from the tree is still loaded.
We will discuss the example shown in Figure 1.

Figure 1: An example obstacle course in the popular video game Rayman 2: The Great Escape (1999). Note that this particular obstacle course does not actually appear in the game.

In this example, the player starts at the platform with plum tree 1. He grabs the plum from this tree and throws it onto post 1. Jumping across the newly created platform, he reaches a generous checkpoint. For reasons unknown, he jumps onto spike 2 and loses all progress. This means the first plum also unloads, which in turn allows plum tree 1 to grow a new plum. The player is then sent back all the way to the generous checkpoint.
When the player respawns, he grabs the plum from tree 2. At this point, he loses all sense of direction and throws it onto post 1. Realizing his mistake, the player now goes back to tree 2 for a new plum, but it is not growing back, because its plum is already on post 1. Indeed, he is now at a point where he cannot progress without dying: the only plum that can be obtained is growing on tree 1, which the player can reach, though he cannot throw the plum to platform 2.

From this short study, we can conclude that the current behavior of plum trees being bound to plum posts is beneficial to the mechanics of this video game. While this does not prove that this is indeed the reason for this behavior, it does show what complex reasoning may hide behind what seems like a simple programming choice. We hope this study will inspire many players to play more of this video game and take notice of the effort put behind it.

You know you suck at Rayman when instead of playing it, you choose to write silly things about it that the devs probably never thought of.

PluMGMK
Dora Dodemer

Post by PluMGMK »

That is inspiring! Unfortunately, it turns out that the premise is entirely wrong! :hinhin:
This video shows why. (WARNING: There is a voiceover this time! :P) Turns out that the plums from a particular tree react in a certain predefined way to being put on a post. The first plum in that "secret" area reacts by getting stuck to the post. The second reacts by getting stuck, then quivering and falling off a few seconds later. Other plums don't react at all.
They put in an invisible wall so that only plums with the "intended" behaviour could actually be used with the appropriate posts, but I was lucky enough to get around that in the video. :mrgreen:
I wonder why they programmed the plums differently rather than the posts. Maybe it'll be obvious to me once I finally get around to firing up RayTwoL (should be this weekend). :hinhin:

As for the mini-Jano, it turns out that that big tree you see in the loading screen is actually a plum-tree, which I sort of suspected. It was nice to finally confirm it though!

Also, I'd sort of like to take this discussion to the Rayman 2 topic, but I can't do that myself since it would involve double-posting. :hinhin:

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404185

Post by Master »

So different plums are programmed to behave differently, as opposed to having one overall behaviour for plums which differs depending on the items its used on. Very curious indeed. Here's hoping you can delve further into this, and perhaps also add it to the wiki.

I'll go bump the Rayman 2 thread, also.

EDIT: Discussion continued here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1032&p=1217346#p1217229