Rayman Origins

For discussions about the Rayman series.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Which version is your favourite?

PS3
17%
Xbox 360
16%
Wii
16%
PC
43%
PSVita
7%
3DS
2%

Total votes: 167

Luckster
Oiseau Moqueur
Tings: 17660

Rayman Origins

Post by Luckster »

Seven years after the last Rayman game came out, the series finally awakens with the announcement of Rayman Origins, a two-dimensional prequel to the original game which will be released in an episodic format.

Trailer

Links

RayWiki article: http://www.raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Rayman_Origins
Rayman Origins walkthrough (PC): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB38D568B3215DCF3
Rayman Origins video catalogue: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... e=view_all
Ubi Art blog: http://ubi-art.uk.ubi.com/

Michel Ancel talks about Ubi Art and Rayman Origins at a conference (French): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdrgzj_videogames
Translation by DesLife and Drolpiraat
Christophe : It's a shame Michel Ancel isn't here because... Ah ! Michel Ancel is here ! Come ! What a surprise !

[Random jokes]

Michel : I'm really pleased to present you this game, because it's Rayman's return, and it's true that Rayman is a character that comes from Montpellier. What was fun and peculiar about Rayman is that we worked on it with animated cartoonists. So basically what created the game's qualities is that we worked with cartoonists, musicans who didn't work in video games in the first place. That is this union that created Rayman and its graphisms. That was in 92-93... We were asked to work on Rayman again. We made 3D games, and ofc, there will be others, but we thought that we could do a game with the same "spirit" that Rayman 1 had, with animated cartoons technics.
What you just saw was entirely done with a tool that we created 6 months ago. I'm going to show it to you. The first idea was to make a new 2D game. The 2nd idea was that there were only a few of us when we worked on the first Rayman. There was one person working on the characters, one for the decors, and it's just the same for what you just watched. There were only 2 persons. Ofc there were technical assistants, but the idea was to work with artists that aren't necessarily in the video games business, but who can bring a lot to this business.

Girl : to keep this peculiar universe, do you think that it's better if there's only one person working on it because they can go farther in their artistic concepts ?

Michel : Yes, it's true that when you read some comics, there are one, two or three authors working on the same comic book, in a band there are 4 musicians... There are some domains where there are some huge artistic personalities, and there's a great creativity cause there are only a few of them working on a project. Christophe did a great work, cause he composed, wrote and recorded the music in just a few days, and we couldn't do that kind of thing if we were numerous. We wouldn't have this mobility.

Girl : The reason why you first collaborated with Christophe was because he came from the cinema business and you were interested in working with someone that comes from this business.

Michel : Exactly. In Christophe's flat, there are instruments that come from around the whole world, he made the OST of a game called BG&E, I don't know if you know it... [laughs and applauses]. Christophe had never composed for a video game before, and the music was a great success. I think that we have to invit that kind of people in the video game business.

Michel: So we have made tools to make it easier and more attractive for people from the videogame business, but also for people who have never worked on videogames before: artists, sculptors, etc. Their work can exist in an interactive way and we can put it on PC, but also on iPad, iPhone, etc. We hope that we can spread it over many different platforms like this. ( hint at iPhone & iPad version of Rayman Origins? )

Girl: So can we see it?

Michel: Yes, I'm going to give you a little demonstration... can you hold the microphone Christophe?

Girl: He's used to holding a microphone, isn't he?

Christophe: ... and now he connects the mouse. It's quick, because you know... and now he's typing his password, it's... "Michel... Ancel".
[Michel laughs]

Michel: So here are the tools I told you about. This is one of the sceneries of the beginning of the game. What's interesting is that... wait, I'm going to show you quickly. [Michel starts Rayman Origins and small gameplay part is shown] This is a very early version of the tools, but I can show you how it works. Now I'm going to start the cinematic that you've seen. So what's interesting here is that there are very little drawings in this cinematic. I'm going to stop here at this point in the cinematic and show you how it works. The scenery was made by only 1 person. So as you can see I'm really inside the landscape, and even though it's 2D, you get the impression that it's 3D. That's kinda funny. So a young painter can just draw this, position everything and turn it into 3D like this. Now I'm going to take this tree and replace it.
["WHOA!"]
Yep, emotion, emotion! And you can rotate it, etc. in a very simple way. So as you can see, you can replace everything, all the little elements in the scenery, and you can zoom in really close while maintaining a reasonable quality. Also interesting here is that it's not only for videogames - you can also show what happens in cartoons or in a comic in an interactive way. So finally, you can make cartoons with only 2 drawings. You can be the creator. And I think that it's important that new creations are not only books or comics, but also for the new media... ( like videogames, films, etc. ) You will be able to tell your own stories. So we're going to try to give you free access to these tools, we don't want to commercialize it. It's not for now yet though, we're still working on it.
[Applause]
So we're going to give access to it to everyone who wants to use it. We've made a little blog called ubi-art.com. For those who are interested, we're going to post about our tools regularly. We hope that we'll be able to put the first version of our tools online this year or the next, to allow people to make their own cartoons.

Girl: And they can share their creations.

Michel: Yes, and we're sending it to schools too. And again, in the presentation you've seen, there were a few things made by children: animation, landscapes, etc. So you can make a game on your own. You'll also be able to turn it into 3D because 3D will be possible in later versions of the tools.
Last edited by Luckster on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sabertooth
Magicien
Tings: 53365

Re: E3 brings us.....more Rabbids

Post by Sabertooth »

Luckster wrote:SO many people were giving angry feedback in the live feed when they saw the video for the next Rabbids game.
Fucking justice.

I have extreme doubts that we'll hear anything about Rayman this year. Even if Ancel just started this game, being the great developer that he is, he'll probably want to take a year or two to work on it and make sure that it's perfect.
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:
HappyHaunter
Feuillu
Tings: 1565

Rayman Origins

Post by HappyHaunter »

BOO YA!! Finally...Rayman is ALIVE!
Luckster
Oiseau Moqueur

Re: E3 brings us.....more Rabbids AND Rayman!?

Post by Luckster »

Son of a.... *makes an update*

XD Conspiracy! I swear the somehow timed it so they'd show it as soon as I left!!
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

NIFTY! :)
This brings greatness ahead of us!
HoovertheAgent
Électoon
Tings: 10

Post by HoovertheAgent »

I just saw the trailer for Rayman Origins. I'm really pumped. Finally a new Rayman game without the Rabbids!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvhwWXF- ... r_embedded

That's the trailer, just for those who missed it. :P

Lol, Rayman's a pervert.
Luckster
Oiseau Moqueur

Post by Luckster »

I REALLY wish I'd stuck around to see the vid...but I REALLY needed a shower. DX<

I sacrificed seeing awesomeness for the sake of cleanliness!

LOL!

Edit

Wow....interesting art style.

Continuity errors like crazy!!!

John thinks Ubisoft is rebooting the series since there's so many continuity errors.
Lijik
Antitoon
Tings: 0

Post by Lijik »

I've been saying for years that they were going to split the two franchises and we would eventually see both have games announced at the same time.

Rayman Origins looks gorgeous as hell, I keep rewatching the trailer. Its so good.
The Rabbids trailer was also pretty hilarious, and I hope its not minigames since screwing up time sounds like a fun adventure game
Luckster
Oiseau Moqueur

Post by Luckster »

I am going to assume the Rabbids game will be a lot like the Rabbids go Home game, but I won't hold my breath. We have to wait until there are gameplay videos out to know for sure.
Soniman32
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by Soniman32 »

I hope I can expect you doods to get the music from Orgins as soon as you can.
Sabertooth
Magicien

Post by Sabertooth »

I am disappointed.

1. It's 2D.
2. Continuity errors.
3. It's being released in episodes as DLC. :cry: Seriously, check out ubiart.com.
4. Not enough characters from other games. Where's Murfy? THE TEENSIES? No, they can't leave out the Teensies.

We finally get a new Rayman game, and it's so different it may as well be Earthworm Jim :cry:
Luckster
Oiseau Moqueur

Post by Luckster »

Oh shit...EPISODES?

Crap....hopefully we can mooch it off a friend then.

>>

<<

And what's wrong with 2D? 2D is fucking awesome! And the backgrounds are just BEAUTIFUL!
Sabertooth
Magicien

Post by Sabertooth »

Luckster wrote:And what's wrong with 2D? 2D is fucking awesome! And the backgrounds are just BEAUTIFUL!
Nothing if it's on a handheld platform or as a side game, not the next major installment since 2003 :(

I was just expecting Ancel to give us a more cooperative timeline, and this is killing it.

Then again...maybe if we consider that Rayman knew Globox since before R1. We could classify this as a prequel to R1. But so far, this looks to be Legend of Spyro all over again.

Oh, and according to 1Up it's not on the Wii. Excuse me while I go commit suicide.
Sabertooth
Magicien

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by Sabertooth »

It's not on Wiiware so I can't get it :cry:

Of course Ubi, go ahead and neglect one third of Rayman's fanbase. I'm sure they won't care. So this is what I can gather from it:

1. It's a prequel.
2. It's 2D. (duh)
3. It's being released in episodes as DLC. Just kill me now. And fuck you Sega for obviously being the ones to give them this idea.
4. It's going to be on the Xbox Live Arcade and PSN.
5. It's being developed by only five people.
6. Rayman is a fucking idiot.
7. It will probably be a Legend of Spyro-esque reboot. Haha, because things weren't already bad enough.

So as you can see I am severely disappointed by this. I hope that Michel Ancel drowns in the Bog of Murk.
Luckster
Oiseau Moqueur

Post by Luckster »

Heh...I guess some people are just never happeh.
HappyHaunter
Feuillu
Tings: 1565

Re: Rayman Origins

Post by HappyHaunter »

Oh no! Where did you learn that info from?!

EDIT: Just checked ubiart.....dang.

Another EDIT: Heh, if you look at the official Rayman Origins site, they posted the trailer 3 days ago.
Sabertooth
Magicien

Post by Sabertooth »

Luckster wrote:Heh...I guess some people are just never happy.
I'd be happy if only it were 3D, had more Rayman characters, was a full disc release, was on the Wii, and wasn't a fucking prequel. You know what? Forget about the 3D thing, I'm over that. What I really can't stand is the episodes thing, and that's ignoring the fact that I can never even get the game in the first place. When a game is released in episodes, that's it, it's over. It's like if I gave you one piece of a puzzle every five months until you finally got all twenty pieces of the puzzle. There is no fucking point in it, and I'd much rather wait two years than to get it in bits and pieces.

Also, why the hell is everyone so silent? This is the next big Rayman game, people! Discuss!
Luckster
Oiseau Moqueur

Post by Luckster »

Why does it HAVE to be on the Wii? The Wii is relatively limited if you ask me, at least from what I've seen. I'd like a game on the 360 personally.
Sabertooth
Magicien

Post by Sabertooth »

Luckster wrote:Why does it HAVE to be on the Wii? The Wii is relatively limited if you ask me, at least from what I've seen. I'd like a game on the 360 personally.
I don't care if it's on the 360 or PS3, I just wanted a Wii release so I could actually get it. But fuck it, this game is gonna suck anyway. Also, appearantly the game is also on the Apple iPad. Yeah, the iPad, but not Wii. Makes perfect sense to me.
Henchman1028
Céloche
Tings: 7626

Post by Henchman1028 »

I don't think it will be that bad, I mean, look at The Legendary Starfy. That is a great 2.5D platformer on a handheld platform, it is the fifth game in the series (They are all 2D (And 2.5D in the case of the fourth one and the fifth), 1-3 are on the GBA (Japan/emulator-only though, because the stupid yankees thought it was too Japanese :pascontent: (Load of bull dust, if you ask me, and yet they released freaking Katamari Damacy, which is even more Japanese then those games!)), and 4-5 are on the DS (4 is once again a Japan/emulator-only, but they FINALLY released the fifth one in America and Europe.)), and it has been released not too long ago. There are even plans for the sixth game, I hope it comes out in Europe, or I will ADAMANTIUM RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bad: