Michel Ancel decided to stop making video games

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

Pipann
Bzzit
Tings: 58675

Re: Michel Ancel decided to stop making video games

Post by Pipann »

Are you sure? I don't think I'm able to read all the responses because I don't have an Instagram account and I cannot find his response there.

Edit: Aha. I didn't realize the big + button was to show more comments. I'm not a big social media user (or my age is showing)

Edit2: I still can't find it. Instagram is clearly punishing me for refusing to create an account :oops2: Can someone with an account put a direct link to the post instead?

Edit3: Finally, I found it. It took a lot of clicking the big + button and then using the browser search to get there. Extremely unintuitive comment system, Instagram. :tssk:

Anyway, here is the answer in question: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFRbPpnqCxu ... 865507394/
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
boomboleros7
Mr Stone
Tings: 65331

Post by boomboleros7 »

I'm glad to read this. :)

I often think Michel Ancel doesn't like a lot Rayman 3, because he didn't participate a lot on its development. Maybe he doesn't appreciate some aspects of the game. Or maybe he doesn't like that a major Rayman game managed to please to a lot of fans while he wasn't very implicated on it. It can be hard to see your own creation doing so and accept it.

Or maybe he doesn't like R3 because it was a critical and commercial success, while Beyond Good and Evil, developed at the same time and also published in 2003, didn't met a commercial success. Michel Ancel could to be angry with R3 because of that.

You can also remark Michel doesn't speak a lot about R3 in interviews and videos.

If I remember correctly, there were rumors saying he really dislike or hate R3, but since it's rumors...

But this Instagram message is reassuring.
Plus, in L'Histoire de Rayman, Michel Ancel says R3 team had some difficulties at the beginning, but finally, they had a lot of fun during the development and he was happy about that. Since he doesn't hesitate to say he is clearly disappointed by the 3DS and iOS ports of Rayman 2 in the same book, we can suppose he would have told us he has big problems with R3.

So, a Rayman 4 by Ubisoft Paris? I would love to see this! :D
Ubisoft Milan could be also a very good choice. They sure did the very good Kingdom Battle, but also Rayman M/Arena, a spin-off I still love, and the Game Boy Color versions of R1 and 2, which are appreciated in the fandom if I'm right.

Signature réalisée par Gnaax
Sa chaîne YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/user/MasterSparta87
Son DeviantArt : http://gnaax.deviantart.com/
Elite Piranha
Mamma Voudou
Tings: 29085

Post by Elite Piranha »

I was looking for the link to that specific reply, thanks for posting it Pippan.

Also, I think Michel Ancel said in an interview (when asked about Rayman 3) that he would have done some things differently, but I can't remember which interview it was.
Rayman Saturn
Oiseau Moqueur
Tings: 19970

Post by Rayman Saturn »

And… this just came out: https://twitter.com/icotom/status/1309519801904230400 (the tweet is for the translation, here’s the direct link to the article: https://next.liberation.fr/images/2020/ ... nt_1800522)
Here's Michel's response to the accusations: https://twitter.com/PlayStation5247/sta ... 8234173440

EDIT: Here's an important response he just made: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFkrhX3KXu6/
Vive Rayman et les prunes !:angel:

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

It's time to Rock 'n' Run!
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique
Tings: 25632

Post by StelzenBomber »

This situation is a mess

But honestly, the journalist newspaper guy seems like full of shit trying to make a headline asap because he left

Because if the really was true, why not reveal it earlyer?

Ill have to wait but, this is fishy as fuck
Droolie
Bzzit
Tings: 59375

Post by Droolie »

Cancel culture sucks.

I believe that Michel Ancel was hard to work with -- from all the other information I've heard from devs, I have known this to be true for quite a while. But after reading the article, Michel's response and with various information I've heard throughout the years I will conclude that this reaction from the Rayman community is mostly unwarranted.

Furthermore, I agree with Michel Ancel's reply that it is suspect to say the least that this article is being tied to the sexual harassment scandal that is plaguing Ubisoft while it has nothing to do with that. I've seen people on Twitter react with "Ancel is an abuser fml" or shit like this, and I find it so frustrating to see all this misinformation being spread.

So that everyone is properly informed, here's some information I know of along with my interpretation of this drama:

Michel has tried to leave Ubisoft multiple times in the past because he wanted to work in a smaller team.
From all the interviews I've read and translated for you guys in the past, my best guess is that the reason behind this is probably his "auteur" attitude -- i.e. how he tries to manage each team member and ensure everyone is on the same page concerning the vision of the game, and everything they make is in line with that vision. Imagine having to do that in a bigger team; that can't work well.

Here's a reconstructed version of events:

2010: Beyond Good & Evil 2 Cancelled - Michel Ancel has left publisher Ubisoft to start his own studio
In 2010, after BG&E2's first cancellation, he tried to leave Ubisoft to create his own studio. In multiple interviews (in l'Histoire de Rayman and I believe in the Masterclass) has Ancel mentioned that this BG&E2 project failed because there were difficulties in working with larger teams.
Somehow, that studio ended up still being part of Ubisoft, and they worked on Rayman Origins.
From various interviews we know that Rayman Origins was a way to escape for him, a "vacation" from bigger projects, and a way to work in a smaller team again.

2013: Ancel Leaving Ubisoft - "Ancel has already give notice that he is leaving and five or six developers from Ubisoft Montpellier are prepared to leave with him"
After Rayman Legends, he wanted to do the same thing, again to work in a smaller team. A few people were ready to leave with him. They did, and created Wild Sheep Studio.
However, as we all know, Michel stayed at Ubisoft as well. Don't you think that's strange, working at two companies at the same time? You should. It's pretty clear what happened: Ubisoft negotiated with Ancel and gave him various benefits so they would not lose the man that made them famous. Among other things, they greenlit a sequel to Michel's personal dream project, BG&E, and allowed him to work on it at his own pace, even if it's just 2 mornings a week... yeah, that can't be good for either Ubisoft or Wild Sheep Studio.

Meanwhile, the scale of the BG&E2 project kept increasing.

2017: As an attempt to make Ancel's "auteur" attitude work in these big teams, and to manage the teams while he is away, Ubisoft added in a second creative director, leading a team of "opponents" for Michel Ancel who would push back against all of his decisions and make sure he doesn't change too much from his initial vision. As mentioned in the article, this team of "opponents" was created with the full trust of Serge Hascoët (the main sexual harasser from the recent allegations). The new creative director and main "opponent" was also the creative director of Ghost Recon, which is very much unlike what Michel Ancel was aiming for with Beyond Good & Evil. How could Ubisoft's management not see that this was creating further problems?

Can you imagine trying to make your dream project and having to fight for every tiny decision you make? It sounds... extremely frustrating. Ancel confirms that the relationship between them was not amicable. Sadly, it seems Ancel took out this frustration on the team and ultimately just decided to stop because of it. The frustration of the team is totally understandable, and yes, it is a result of Ancel's behavior... but I believe that that in turn is a result of Ubisoft's management's decisions. In his poorly formulated Instagram response to all this, Michel Ancel seems to imply that this is indeed the case:
Michel Ancel wrote:I am not managing the team. I bring a vision and producers and managers decide what to do , when and how. They are powerful people in the making of such a big projects. Why don’t the journalist speaks about them?
And really, how do you suppose he would manage the team if they are only present two mornings a week (and since 2019, never)?

Note: I think Ancel isn't "innocent": he should have left Ubisoft in 2013 or should have left when the team of "opponents" was established. Instead he stayed and let himself play a big part in this toxic environment.
But instead of persecuting him, why don't y'all persecute Ubisoft's management, that caused all this?
Last edited by Droolie on Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique

Post by StelzenBomber »

Coulnt have said it better

Thank you a lot for writting this
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 578425

Post by Hunchman801 »

Thanks for the insightful analysis, Droolie. :up:

The Libération articles are behind a paywall so I can't look at the accusations in detail but here's Ancel's response on Instagram for the record:
Fake News
Take few people with rage and jealousy and let them speak in the name of hundreds. Publish the news fast so that it combines with sexual harassment from other news at Ubi soft. I this serious? Is this what you expect from a national newspaper. I will fight for the truth because such accusations are a shame . I worked hard on every of my projects and always had respect for the teams. The accusations are wrong . 1- Toxic management : I am not managing the team. I bring a vision and producers and managers decide what to do , when and how. They are powerful people in the making of such a big projects. Why don’t the journalist speaks about them?
2- I always change my mind : false. E.g. I’ve spent years explaining why the city should not be re done from scratch. Hours explaining that characters were good enough and did not need to be redone . Same for planets and all. But sometimes some people in the team changed things despite my advices. Managers are here to solve this.
3- the 2017 demo was fake and was a video: false . The 2017 demo was solid and made possible the 2018 demo. As opposed to what is in the news, the 2018 demo had the right details , was using real streaming, procedural generation and was playable online. This was a masterpiece of technology.
The news from liberation contains fake Informations revealed by few people who wants to destroy me and the projects . This can’t be done without me fighting every single lines of that news. I’ve offered the journalist the opportunity to take enough time to look at all the mistakes. Let’s see what he will do .
Aaron
Space Mama
Tings: 73500

Post by Aaron »

Yeah this really had to be said, thanks a lot for the in-depth research. :)
hoodlumsworld
Reine Ptizêtre
Tings: 4860

Post by hoodlumsworld »

At least it's not sexual harassment or shit like that. Maybe Ancel was hard to work with, but he's not an animal.
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique

Post by StelzenBomber »

Last edited by PluMGMK on Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I think we're better off having the message quoted here, like others have done for his (and other) previous messages.
Elite Piranha
Mamma Voudou

Post by Elite Piranha »

I was not sure of where to put this, but this was recently shared on reddit:

PluMGMK
Estellia
Tings: 20245

Post by PluMGMK »

Heh, nothing we didn't already know, but nice to hear him say it! It'd be cool if he had any unseen pictures or models to show!
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 578425

Post by Hunchman801 »

It would be cool, but I'm under the impression that all the recent bad press won't leave him much time to dig through his garage. :P
StelzenBomber
Dragon mécanique

Post by StelzenBomber »

Probably

I just hope hes gonna win against those freaks
Elite Piranha
Mamma Voudou

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hopefully he is able to share some unseen material from that prototype, maybe after the scandals die down.
ZelenPixel
Henchman 1000
Tings: 2255

Post by ZelenPixel »

i will only find true rest when i find out just what kinda girlfriend could andre possibly have
Dear Mario,

Where am i
PluMGMK
Estellia

Post by PluMGMK »

Haven't Elite's Cagoulette drawings given you enough of an idea? :P
MortisDoors
Tribelle
Tings: 270

Post by MortisDoors »

What's the point of even bringing Andre back? Seeing how the rabbids have already taken the role of obnoxious scoundrels i don't see the point of adding another character like into a game full of them. But im still interested in seeing who Andre's girlfriend might be, maybe it's that one woman from rayman 3 with the sexy voice.
PluMGMK
Estellia

Post by PluMGMK »

I'd say the Rabbids had much less personality back at that stage of development, so it wouldn't be that crowded with characters.