What things would you guys want in next Rayman title? (If they ever announce it of course)

Talk about Rayman himself and Rayman games!

Moderator: English moderators

paulnewman2001
Poilu
Tings: 2205

What things would you guys want in next Rayman title? (If they ever announce it of course)

Post by paulnewman2001 »

-would you guys want it to be much longer than earlier titles?,
-or want Rayman to talk more?,
-or want it to have higher age rating? (Though I don't see the series ever being rated M, I just don't see Rayman or the others swearing nor beating up guys to bloody pulp though it may depend on how it's done),
-would you guys also prefer if it was a sequel (to 3), interquel, prequel, remake or even some kind of a spinoff (not involving the Rabbids obviously :lol:)?
Last edited by paulnewman2001 on Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 578425

Re: What things would you guys want in next Rayman title? (If they ever announce it of course)

Post by Hunchman801 »

About the same length is fine, no need for him to talk too much (Rayman's not that deep a character :P), and a sequel.

As for the age rating, I like what they did in Rayman 3, where there's a lot of adult themes but kids won't understand them and will rather laugh at Globox's antics and André's yelling.
paulnewman2001
Poilu

Re: What things would you guys want in next Rayman title? (If they ever announce it of course)

Post by paulnewman2001 »

Hunchman801 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:04 pm About the same length is fine, no need for him to talk too much (Rayman's not that deep a character :P), and a sequel.

As for the age rating, I like what they did in Rayman 3, where there's a lot of adult themes but kids won't understand them and will rather laugh at Globox's antics and André's yelling.
Yeah, Rayman isn't excactly the deepest character though I'd prefer if he had a decent amount of dialogue like he did in 2, it'd make him feel more alive, this along with the fact that I like his both French and English voices, and also, this might be slightly off topic but I'm glad that Adsolution (ROTD fan project creator) would try to expand Ray's character by showing his development from lighthearted, kiddy char from 1 to more mature, caring one we see in 2, we'd also see his emotional side and learn quite more about his past, looking forward to it, it'd give the character much more depth than ever before. And when it comes to age rating, I asked about it because of said project (which would be rated T) and Beyond Good & Evil 2 which would most likely be rated M given it's excessive swearing shown in trailer (the first game was rated T and was quite similar in terms of atmosphere to Rayman, atleast IMO, let's hope that it comes out someday though :|).
Last edited by paulnewman2001 on Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Rsandee
Moskito
Tings: 59510

Post by Rsandee »

If I recall correctly, Michel Ancel wasn't working on Rayman 3 when they were developing it, so a good Rayman game by a different company in the vein of Crash Bandicoot or Spyro the dragon would be an interesting idea. It's an overly optimistic idea though, considering Rayman has lost much of its popularity since the rabbids games and he is probably not considered "retro" enough (even though he's older than those other classics on the PS1).

I would like to see a Rayman game more in the style of Rayman 3 in terms of powerups and a point system for replayability, the only way I see that happening is if they decide to develop remakes first to reignite Rayman's popularity and I don't think Ubisoft will be the company to start this process. It's also worth mentioning that Rayman is an interesting trilogy because of how much its games differ from one another, and a Rayman 4 that is too similar to one of the other games is probably not a good idea either.
Hunchman801 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:04 pm About the same length is fine, no need for him to talk too much (Rayman's not that deep a character :P), and a sequel.

Exactly like this.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Rsandee wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:27 pm It's also worth mentioning that Rayman is an interesting trilogy because of how much its games differ from one another, and a Rayman 4 that is too similar to one of the other games is probably not a good idea either.
That's a good point, I also hope Rayman 4 (if it ever comes out) will surprise me in that regard!
Droolie
Bzzit
Tings: 59375

Post by Droolie »

I would want it not to suck.

I think Rayman's in a very bad place right now and don't believe a new game is coming anytime soon. I have heard Rayman is now "the shame of Ubisoft Montpellier" after what happened to Ancel. If he ever comes back, I can't imagine him being treated any better than Prince of Persia is currently, and boy that remake looked rough. Now it's delayed and uncertain whether it will ever release -- and in what state.
paulnewman2001
Poilu

Post by paulnewman2001 »

Droolie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:12 pm I would want it not to suck.

I think Rayman's in a very bad place right now and don't believe a new game is coming anytime soon. I have heard Rayman is now "the shame of Ubisoft Montpellier" after what happened to Ancel. If he ever comes back, I can't imagine him being treated any better than Prince of Persia is currently, and boy that remake looked rough. Now it's delayed and uncertain whether it will ever release -- and in what state.
Yeah, same goes for Beyond Good & Evil 2, so many potentially good games are being swept under the rug :(
Rudie Radio Waves
Photographe
Tings: 400

Post by Rudie Radio Waves »

This situation reminds me of when Capcom forgot about Mega Man for almost a decade after Inafune left. They straight up said they had no idea what to do and that no one felt like they could take up the mantle of Mega Man Guy (until MM11 of course). I believe something like that is happening within Ubisoft. Hopefully they also do what they did with MM11 and play all the previous titles to bring the best of all worlds into R4.

Actually, that might just be what I want the most- a coherent "best of all worlds" approach to every aspect of R4. Combat mechanics, enemy design and control from R3, level design from R2 and the UbiArt games, environments that vary from beautiful and realistic to R1-levels of surreal, etc. I just want a good game, and to be completely honest, no mainline Rayman game hasn't been good.

Aside from that, I dunno; I'd like a higher degree of openness but not to the point of being an open world game, as those are just too bloated with sidequests you really shouldn't do.

EDIT: also, many people don't like Rayman's R3 design (it's my favourite TBH), so letting players unlock and play as Rayamn's R2 design would be a neat bonus for those fans.
I draw here: rudieradiowaves.newgrounds.com
paulnewman2001
Poilu

Post by paulnewman2001 »

Rudie Radio Waves wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:06 am This situation reminds me of when Capcom forgot about Mega Man for almost a decade after Inafune left. They straight up said they had no idea what to do and that no one felt like they could take up the mantle of Mega Man Guy (until MM11 of course). I believe something like that is happening within Ubisoft. Hopefully they also do what they did with MM11 and play all the previous titles to bring the best of all worlds into R4.

Actually, that might just be what I want the most- a coherent "best of all worlds" approach to every aspect of R4. Combat mechanics, enemy design and control from R3, level design from R2 and the UbiArt games, environments that vary from beautiful and realistic to R1-levels of surreal, etc. I just want a good game, and to be completely honest, no mainline Rayman game hasn't been good.

Aside from that, I dunno; I'd like a higher degree of openness but not to the point of being an open world game, as those are just too bloated with sidequests you really shouldn't do.

EDIT: also, many people don't like Rayman's R3 design (it's my favourite TBH), so letting players unlock and play as Rayamn's R2 design would be a neat bonus for those fans.
Huh, weird, haven't seen many people who dislike Ray 3 design, it's my favourite one as well, and when it comes to open world, I'd personally want one which is neither too enormous but also not too tiny, with simple sidequests in style of LEGO games (defeating small horde of enemies for example) and maybe even random encounters in style of Red Dead Redemption where you could stop a thief or find someone for example.
Rudie Radio Waves
Photographe
Tings: 400

Post by Rudie Radio Waves »

paulnewman2001 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:42 pm Huh, weird, haven't seen many people who dislike Ray 3 design, it's my favourite one as well
Well it's less that they openly dislike R3 Rayman and more that they prefer the bandana and neater hair; I see this with quite a few artists, who mostly tend to draw R2 Rayman. I've also seen a lot of them "mix and match" what Rayman parts they prefer.
I like R3's design more because it gives Rayman a little more personality, like he's less just player avatar and more of his own character, and it feels like he's wearing comfier clothes because that's what he likes.
paulnewman2001 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:42 pm and when it comes to open world, I'd personally want one which is neither too enormous but also not too tiny, with simple sidequests in style of LEGO games (defeating small horde of enemies for example) and maybe even random encounters in style of Red Dead Redemption where you could stop a thief or find someone for example.
Well The Walk Of Life/Power are basically that, right? Having more of them would definitely be fun.
I'd also like a relatively-big-but-not-excessively-big open world Glade of Dreams. A large enough map to entice wanderlust and craft a beautiful and compelling world would be amazing and I'd play that for days; but Rayman's game design has always been based on a level-to-level structure (every Rayman level is a carefully constructed obstacle course, with a beginning and an end) and adding open-world would muddy things up a lot. But the potential pros far outweigh the cons IMO!
I draw here: rudieradiowaves.newgrounds.com
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Droolie wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:12 pm I have heard Rayman is now "the shame of Ubisoft Montpellier" after what happened to Ancel.
Man, that's quite something. Anyway, I agree that I prefer no Rayman 4 at all rather than a shitty game.