Movies you just recently watched

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
CHRdutch
El Stomacho
Tings: 23733

Re: Movies you just recently watched

Post by CHRdutch »

Shrek

ON VHS
Ambidextroid wrote:< was in such a rush < had no time for breakfast, so < took a fistful of corn flakes and stuffed them in <'s mouth, then poured milk over the top. It worked but it drizzled milk all over <'s front...
Record Day 2015 madness
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

Post by Keane »

keane talks about rogue !1111111111111:

I saw rogue one last night and it made me go "wow, that was a pretty good movie." um, i'm not really a star wars fan and i've never seen the originals/prequels, only force awakens, but i could tell this one wasn't really like the usual tone of the series. But i actually enjoy that presentation - I get why people might be upset about the direction here, but if this had been just like the new episode movies it'd really burn people out by the end of what's supposed to be another 2-3 movies? Of course my perspective is different being an outsider to the whole thing but I didn't mind the different approach for a one-off movie.

One problem this movie did have though is the characters were pretty fucking gay. I was more interested in seeing the locations and battles, and how it tied into the lore of the other movies (even though i've never seen them) than I was in them - none of them really stood out or had important scenes dedicated to them. Which is unfortunate because the movie actually did do a pretty good job at juggling the large cast and giving everyone enough screen time. I don't remember anyones name besides the main character.

--

keane on first star war EVER?!:

...so then when i came home i put on A New Hope for le first time ever :!: And it was fucking awesome. it really clicks with me now why it's such a classic and had the impact it did, and i was actually surprised by how the jump from 2016 to 1977 didn't really affect the experience - i actually felt like i was watching another movie connected to and of the same series as rogue one.

My only gripe was that it was the special edition, which i'm aware of the changes and I like some of them, but the CGI just fucking sucks. the practical 70's effects actually feel like they aged better and whenever the CGI popped in it felt horribly out place, like a poor photoshop job or something. I guess maybe when they came out it was a convincing quality update, but today it just pulls you out of the movie for a moment.
Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
Shadowrayman
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3255

Post by Shadowrayman »

I watched Star Wars rogue one and zootopia :? It was weird how I watched zootopia I had to watch it with my 8 year old cousin from Canada because he came to America and he wanted to watch the movie so I had to look after him at the movies so he doesn't get lost :|
Computer Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor Windows 10 Home
CHRdutch
El Stomacho
Tings: 23733

Post by CHRdutch »

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Why Is Everything Capitalized?
Ambidextroid wrote:< was in such a rush < had no time for breakfast, so < took a fistful of corn flakes and stuffed them in <'s mouth, then poured milk over the top. It worked but it drizzled milk all over <'s front...
Record Day 2015 madness
Bzzit
El Stomacho
Tings: 24529

Post by Bzzit »

Watched the Maple Films cut of The Hobbit trilogy. A massive improvement in my opinion. The bloated 8 hours run time of the trilogy is edited down to a 4 hour run with an intermission inbetween. The pacing is much better, and the focus is on Bilbo and the dwarves, as it should be. Overall feels like a worthy adaptation of the novel, with a few minor issues here and there. It's also colour corrected to replicate the look of the LOTR films. Al the meh - bad stuff is cut down or gone; Radagast, Alfred, Legolas, the drawn out flashbacks and the dumb love story.
Rayman is the best man
Eren
El Stomacho
Tings: 24258

Post by Eren »

As said on the SW Thread I recently watched Rogue One, I was very surprised when I saw that the movie was darker than the others, especially the ending which was depressing honestly I really liked it!
SIG UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Image Image
Steam Profile Youtube Account
Greeness
Aurora
Tings: 17030

Post by Greeness »

I just saw "the girl with the dragon tattoo", it's a great movie, but I don't think it's the best of David Fincher's libary of films.
Rare Rayman images Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Feel free to share any rare media that's missing.
Keane
André

Post by Keane »

I saw the extended edition of The Hobbit: Desolation of Smigger, so I'm going to write a very long opinion about it.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Banus

Going into this movie I remember thinking it was about on-par with the first movie, which I think is a terribly underwhelming return to the Lord of The Rings world. It never knows whether it wants to be loyal to the more childlike nature of the book or transform it into a moody epic like LoTR (either would've been fine), and it ends up being a weird struggle between those two, mixed in with poor pacing and underdeveloped characters. Middle Earth never really feels like the magical but dangerous place that it does in the LoTR movies, but rather like a backdrop for a series of action events to take place in. It's unable to balance screen time with its a large cast of characters and most of the dwaves end up like forgettable characters you can't remember the names of, and it rarely has the right scenes to make us really connect or care about them.

Really the only scenes where I feel like something interesting is going on with the characters is when Bilbo & Gollum meet, and when the dwarves lay out their plans at Bag End - a scene which does a good job at laying out their personality and ambitions, which the trilogy then proceeds to repeat a million times. Did you know the dwarves really care about reclaiming their home? They really care about that, reclaiming their home. It's a tough journey, but they do it to reclaim their home. Are they gonna throw in the towel and just, not reclaim their home?

There's just really something missing in this movie, in every area. The overused cgi ends up looking worse than LoTR's 2004 practical effects, the first half of the movie almost nothing actually happens (They escape some trolls and find swords), and it keeps focusing on things that don't have to be in it. They visit Rivendell because of nostalgia, and we get a whole big chase scene in the orc dungeon that feels so lackluster and overdone compared to the escape from Moria in the first LoTR movie - a similar scene that's much better because we actually get to see and learn about Moria prior to the action, there's some human error to their escape, and it ends on probably the most memorable scene of the movie: Gandalf vs. the Balrog. Meanwhile in the orc dungeon escape they just pull off superhuman jesus stunts in an obstacle course as they fight off the threat of CGI monsters.

And then when they get out they have a decent scene where Bilbo earns Thorin's respect and it seems like a charming closure to the movie buuuut then they have another battle scene against Azog, the villain that no one cares about, not even the movie - because he barely matters to the plot at all, yet when this scene happens the implication is that you go "Wow, Azog is fighting Thorin! This is cool because Azog is the villain!" I'm pretty sure most people left the theater forgetting his name after five minutes. Then Biblo earns Thorin's respect for the second time, and now the movie closes feeling fucking stupid.

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smegma - Plot

So leading into this movie, the most obvious difference is that this movie leans a bit more towards being the epic kind of Middle Earth, with several subplots, even more characters, and higher stakes.

The primary plot is the continuation of Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin, old bearded dwarf and other dwarves as they get to the mountain and also they have to get the arkenstone for a reason that I don't think this movie ever really implies. Overall, I think this part of their journey is a much more interesting and exciting segment, as if the first movie tried to stretch itself out as much as possible to get maximum content in here. Their obstacles are actually interesting - Mirkwood feels like an actually mysterious, sinister place, and I liked the scenes where they get lost and Bilbo climbs to the treetops. Their capture by the elves was a good scene too, and we finally got to see the elves in a different environment, with interesting characters, rather than "Remember Elrond?! Remember Lady Galadriel?!"

However the barrel scene was fucking dumb, and really makes this movie feel like something of a smaller scale compared to the really grand scenes from LoTR. It's just like a river rapids ride, especially when it sometimes cuts to a way shittier camera on the barrels themselves. This entire thing could've been reduced to a minute. It's another moment of the movie not knowing whether it wants to be serious or silly.

Lake-Town was also a location I liked and felt, again, like we actually got to see things that felt like Middle Earth and expanded upon the lore. Unfortunately the plot that takes place is leaning towards gayness: Bard smuggling the cast into the town felt like unnecessarily long filler (Counting their money up, hiding in barrels, sneaking into his home), only to end up getting caught anyway. The Master of Lake-Town and Alfred feel too redundant with their capturing and questioning the cast when the elves did the exact same thing, and feel kind of pointless in the end.

The mountain itself is visually interesting, and I loved the scene with Bilbo and Smautistic, it reminded me of the Gollum scene from the first movie. Bilbo's handling of these really dangerous, foreign situations works perfectly. But it starts to dip when the action sequence with the dwarves commences, which is a tolerable climax until it devolves into another orc dungeon escape. Goes on for way too long and the whole molten gold thing is just so fucking silly and kind of undermines the epic environment it takes place in. Gay!

And then the movie pretty much just ends. There's not a much of a conclusion.

Oh also there's the Beorn scene at the beginning. I actually kinda liked the extended edition scene, even if I get why they cut it (He acts deranged in this scene and then suddenly he becomes smart helpful advisor). He seems he could've been a good memorable character if he didn't never appear again even though they take the time to focus on his worries for Middle Earth and he seems to know a lot about what's going on.
Now for the subplots

I liked Gandalf's discovery of the necromancer better in this movie, there's no Radafag getting attacked by CGI or Saruman being an ignorant dickbag (Which makes no sense by the way, he's supposed to be a stubborn but very wise and insightful person at this point in time. They just made him like a dismissive belittling person because remember when he's that in LoTR?! It would've been more interesting to see the good side of Saruman that's not even depicted in the books). The tomb of the ringwraiths was good, and I even kind of like his confrontation with the necromancer.

(Unfortunately the extended edition negrofies that latter scene by adding in completely pointless cut content: Thorin's dad is apparently alive, living in the ruins where the necromancer resides I guess? And I don't know what he eats and there must a big fucking poo pile somewhere there if he's been residing there for decades. He acts like a weird zombie, in a hilariously bad segment where he keeps making retarded noises and running in shadows, and then finally he attacks Gandalf...only to remember him, and instantly that snaps him out of it and he's normal now. He dies about three minutes later with a fucking Wilhelm scream.)

There's also the Legolas and Tauriel subplot. For some reason Legolas is kind of smug and controlling in this movie, I don't know why. His female companion elf, Tauriel, is wasted on a love triangle thing that's just really fucking boring most of the time. They're also both superjesus in this movie, they take out dozens of orcs with extreme perfection, and seem to take on the (very filler) battle in lake-town entirely by themselves.

The Characters hnngh

Bilbo is a great character, I actually prefer him over how they depicted Frodo in the LoTR movies. His problems are resolved with more complex methods than just swing sword to kill, and his internal conflicts are much more interesting than everyone else. Seeing him get a little obsessive with the ring, or interacting with Smaug, whenever he's in a scene the movie is good. So you'd think that a The Hobbit movie would be mostly good then, but Bilbo ends up having less screen time than everyone else. What the fuck?

Thorin and the dworrvs: Thorin is alright, he tends to be the same a lot (He's angry, he has pride, and did you know he wants to reclaim his homeland?!) and his personal thing with arkenstone isn't involving enough. I don't think he's a bad character but lacking the right development. The rest of the dwarves are all forgettable and most of them have no personality at all. I don't think bomburr has more than 1-2 lines, and Gloin is focused on for maybe 15 seconds even though he's with the main cast for the entire movie. The only they allow to have a personality is the old one, which is usually a voice of reason, but there's already an old voice of reason with them.

Gandalf: They get him right in these movies, and Ian Mcchcckcken is still perfect for the role. I do wish we got to see him do his insightful weird wizard things more though, I think Gandalf is at his best in scenes that just involve him talking/interacting with another character. I would've loved to see him and Bilbo have a similar relationship he had with Frodo or Pippin in LoTR.

Also just final thought I forgot to mention: This movie looks way better than the first Hobbit. Less shitty CGI, the environments are all memorable and interesting to look at, and it felt more like an actual world.

so yheahe theres my thought hahahh
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
Dart
Clark
Tings: 49845

Post by Dart »

After many years of having not seen the old classic Ice Age, I recently decided to watch it once more, and I have to say it still holds up. Sure the animation is a bit prehistoric (ha!), but the humour and emotions of the movie are all still there. It's a bit funny now that I'm older to know that the Rhinos are gay and that gay jokes are used throughout the film; kinda makes it still culturally relevant in a weird way doesn't it? Perhaps it's a strange thing to say, but I think the texturing in this franchise is one of a kind, it's honestly one of my all time favorites.
Kuru20
Lums Rouge
Tings: 55

Post by Kuru20 »

I just watched Resident Evil The Final Chapter I'd probably give it a 8//10
the ending really did a good job of wrapping up the entire series, however the acting was decent although I believe that the overarching story of this particular one was a bit too over used
Bzzit
El Stomacho

Post by Bzzit »

@Keane I highly recommend trying out the Maple Films cut of the Hobbit; it cuts out a lot of the meh - gahbage stuff from the trilogy and turns it into one awesome standalone film (with an intermission halfway). It's very faithful to the book and is the only way I can watch it now hehe lol
http://www.maple-films.com/the-hobbit-fan-edit
Rayman is the best man
incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by incognito »

Dart wrote:After many years of having not seen the old classic Ice Age, I recently decided to watch it once more, and I have to say it still holds up. Sure the animation is a bit prehistoric (ha!), but the humour and emotions of the movie are all still there. It's a bit funny now that I'm older to know that the Rhinos are gay and that gay jokes are used throughout the film; kinda makes it still culturally relevant in a weird way doesn't it? Perhaps it's a strange thing to say, but I think the texturing in this franchise is one of a kind, it's honestly one of my all time favorites.
I recently saw Ice Age 5 when I was in the plane, probably one of the biggest shits I ever saw, I don't know of it is the dub or something, but it came out as garbage, the graphics are stunning though, but everything else is bantha dung.
Dart
Clark
Tings: 49845

Post by Dart »

Nah the sequels are downright terrible, if I had to take a guess as to why I'd say they're developed by two very different people
Keane
André

Post by Keane »

A Cure For Wellness - In this movie Dane DeHaan struggles around the set and looks confused in every scene. Getting stuck in a strange hospital, DeHaan gets involved in a series of uncut deleted scenes with scary situations that ultimately don't matter or mean anything. Will he survive the plot holes, or can the great setting and shots save him?

Get Out - I loved this movie, sharp social commentary mixed with horror and genuinely funny comedy. I loved all the bizarre character interactions and uncanny valley appearances, and how seamlessly it balanced the different tones. Greatte moviey.
Bzzit wrote:@Keane I highly recommend trying out the Maple Films cut of the Hobbit; it cuts out a lot of the meh - gahbage stuff from the trilogy and turns it into one awesome standalone film (with an intermission halfway). It's very faithful to the book and is the only way I can watch it now hehe lol
Yeah I plan on seeing the edit after I finish the third film, I read about the adjustments and I think it can pull forward the moments where the movies are actually interesting and charming
Bzzit
El Stomacho

Post by Bzzit »

Keane wrote:A Cure For Wellness - In this movie Dane DeHaan struggles around the set and looks confused in every scene. Getting stuck in a strange hospital, DeHaan gets involved in a series of uncut deleted scenes with scary situations that ultimately don't matter or mean anything. Will he survive the plot holes, or can the great setting and shots save him?

Get Out - I loved this movie, sharp social commentary mixed with horror and genuinely funny comedy. I loved all the bizarre character interactions and uncanny valley appearances, and how seamlessly it balanced the different tones. Greatte moviey.
Bzzit wrote:@Keane I highly recommend trying out the Maple Films cut of the Hobbit; it cuts out a lot of the meh - gahbage stuff from the trilogy and turns it into one awesome standalone film (with an intermission halfway). It's very faithful to the book and is the only way I can watch it now hehe lol
Yeah I plan on seeing the edit after I finish the third film, I read about the adjustments and I think it can pull forward the moments where the movies are actually interesting and charming
Nice one, mate. The focus is always on Bilbo and the actual main plot, so it's a good watch!
Rayman is the best man
Keane
André

Post by Keane »

Saw The Great Wall last night, which is apparently the biggest collaboration between Hollywood and the Chinese movie industry ever, and it really shows: The whole movie felt like they were checkmarking a list of things necessary to appeal to both Western and Asian audiences, probably in the hope to make tons of money and pave the way for more collabs in the future (You might remember the deadpan Asian crowd watching businessmen presenters going "Look! Lightsaber!" when desperately trying to make them care about Star Wars).

Which makes the movie feel incredibly calculated and like no one really cared to make this other than sales, and it really shows. The characters are either cardboard cutouts (Badass attractive girl who's personality is that she's badass and doesn't take orders from the guys - I wonder if she learns to warm up to the main character as the movie progresses!) or it's never really established who they really are and instead their dialogue is more about their motive, which is for nearly every character to defeat the poorly designed, CGI monsters. It almost reminded me a little of Starship Troopers where the enemies are just mindless aggressive creatures that get slaughtered in every scene they're in, except in this movie it wasn't ironic.

It made for some decent schlock though, watching the movie try this hard with all its bombastic CGI and dramatic scenes that don't go anywhere and fail completely was hilarious and I really got into it in that sense. Matt Damon's performance comes across like he's just too self-aware of how silly the movie is. Think the recent Independence Day movie but seemingly trying to be taken seriously.
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Post by Ambidextroid »

Just watched Flash Gordon for the first time since I was young, it's such a damn good movie :mrgreen:
DemigodRayinator
Lums Rouge
Tings: 70

Post by DemigodRayinator »

Zoolander 2.
Kuru20
Lums Rouge
Tings: 55

Post by Kuru20 »

so, Just finished watching Get Out. It wasn't terrible, the hypnosis aspect of it was a very unique and refreshing twist to the classic horror, however the truth was not only unfeasible but also, too convoluted for the original plot. all together I'd give it a 8/10 for the acting and the other pluses. But the ending killed the movie in my opinion
Keane
André

Post by Keane »

Yeah, the twist wasn't the best and sort of felt like the movie was pausing itself just so it could get the explanation through and get back to the action. I liked the climax though, it really got you rooting for him and there was actual payoff for things we learned earlier in the movie.

Ultimately the horror plot was felt more like just a setting for the social commentary to take place in, and the self-awareness of it made me enjoy the movie a lot more - especially in the ocean of garbage horror flicks that do these kinds of plots and treat them as if they're really big, shocking stories. That doesn't excuse some of the plot holes or shortcomings, but I do find it a very clever way to get audiences aware of its commentary where a lot of viewers might overlook it.