Tonic Trouble Windows 10

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Re: Tonic Trouble Windows 10

Post by RayCarrot »

Raving Rabbids had less votes I believe and it was added just a few months ago. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Post by RibShark »

Today, I managed to get Tonic Trouble (full version) to work properly on Windows 10! I'm going to look and see if I can sort a few things out first, as there are still a few issues I am having, but for the most part it is working fine and I hope to publish a tutorial on how I did it soon!
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

That's awesome! Do you know yet if it works on Windows 10 as well?
RibShark
Feuillu

Post by RibShark »

Carrot-master wrote:That's awesome! Do you know yet if it works on Windows 10 as well?
RibShark wrote:Today, I managed to get Tonic Trouble (full version) to work properly on Windows 10!
But yeah, I don't have time to tell how today, but maybe tomorrow or some time later this week I will be able to. And this might not work on all computers, as part of the fix (the graphics portion) is similar to the old Rayman 2 graphics fix I posted which seemed to not work on some computers. But hopefully this will.
gamerz31w
Ptizêtre Vert
Tings: 1365

Post by gamerz31w »

deserves reboot like rayman 2,crash bandicoot 1,rayman 3 and pac-man world 1
OCG
Le Capitaine
Tings: 9905

Post by OCG »

RibShark wrote:Today, I managed to get Tonic Trouble (full version) to work properly on Windows 10! I'm going to look and see if I can sort a few things out first, as there are still a few issues I am having, but for the most part it is working fine and I hope to publish a tutorial on how I did it soon!
Ah thats nice! I am not big fan of TT non-Special Edition but its always nice to be able to play old games on new OS's. Looking forward to see tutorial from you. I wonder if its nGlide related since I remember full version (unlike Special Edition) supports 3DFX.
gamerz31w wrote:deserves reboot like rayman 2,crash bandicoot 1,rayman 3 and pac-man world 1
Take your spamming somewhere else. If you can't add something constructive to the topic then don't post on it at all.
Image [YouTube] [Facebook] [Twitter] [DeviantART]

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
RibShark
Feuillu

Post by RibShark »

OCG wrote:
RibShark wrote:Today, I managed to get Tonic Trouble (full version) to work properly on Windows 10! I'm going to look and see if I can sort a few things out first, as there are still a few issues I am having, but for the most part it is working fine and I hope to publish a tutorial on how I did it soon!
Ah thats nice! I am not big fan of TT non-Special Edition but its always nice to be able to play old games on new OS's. Looking forward to see tutorial from you. I wonder if its nGlide related since I remember full version (unlike Special Edition) supports 3DFX.
That is strange, as any full versions I have come across do not appear to support 3DFX. If you know of one that does that will make things a lot easier.
OCG
Le Capitaine

Post by OCG »

I swear I used to own bootleg of 3DFX compatible version. I also seen 3DFX logo on boxes. Problem is I do not own that bootleg anymore and I am not sure if I can find ISO of it. Even if I did, I dunno will I be able to install it on Win 7 and check if its 3DFX compatible.

http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4774

Its called Tonic Trouble 3DFX v2 bundle version

Did you try to download this version?
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/ ... trouble-3/

[Skype: アンドリヤ (OCG)] [Xbox Live: OldClassicGamer] [PSN: OldClassicGamer] [Steam: OldClassicGamer] [Nintendo Network ID: OldClassicGamer] [3DS FC: 0275-8128-3030]

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by incognito »

It is illegal, shame on you.
OCG
Le Capitaine

Post by OCG »

Hey, I am not the one who uploaded that :P
I just shared site for Rib's experimental purposes ;)

Thank Mr. Skeltal Image
closer1000
Lums Vert
Tings: 88

Post by closer1000 »

Any update on this RibShark? I've been successful in getting the French version of the full game to work in Windows 10 (with dgVoodoo) but for some reason it doesn't have controller support. Still haven't figured out how to get the English version working.
RibShark
Feuillu

Post by RibShark »

closer1000 wrote:
Any update on this RibShark? I've been successful in getting the French version of the full game to work in Windows 10 (with dgVoodoo) but for some reason it doesn't have controller support. Still haven't figured out how to get the English version working.
Well then, you've done better than me. I could get the French version to work, but only with WineD3D, not dgVoodoo (dgVoodoo is better). The English version (and the Spanish too) is a mess. I have got quite far getting the exe to be normal, but it crashes at launch still.
Edd
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by Edd »

I managed to get Tonic Trouble running fine on Windows 7 with the help of dgVoodoo. I posted a guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25256

I don't have Windows 10 so I don't know whether this guide is applicable to Windows 10. If someone can test it that would be great.
Susi007
Électoon
Tings: 5

Re: Tonic Trouble Windows 10 => works

Post by Susi007 »

Hi all,

I've managed to run Tonic Trouble (special version Aldi/Medion PC 1998) on 2 different Windows 10 PCs using either WineD3D or dgvoodoo. Just putting the mentioned dll files, wich are part of the bundles (dgVoodoo or WineD3D) into the /Ubisoft/Ed installation folder. In addition I've set at first compatibility mode for ubisetup.exe, setuptt.exe and MaiD3Dvr.exe to Windows XP SP 3 within both /Ubisoft/Ed folder and in CD drive folders. Then I've started within the /Ubisoft/Ed folder ubisetup.exe to change the monitor resolution (ubi.ini in c:\Windows\Ubisoft then will be changed). At the end I can successfully start the game Tonic Trouble using ubisetup.exe from CD drive folder. (I've installed the official sound and castle patches too.)

One limitation I haven't so far a solution for: I need to run the game as an administrator (so my children need to ask me ... )
A note: So far I haven't finalized the game in Windows 10, so I can't tell so much about stability.
Another note: I could continue playing using an old game score form Windows XP (/Ubisoft/Ed/GameData/SaveGame folder) .

dgVoodoo: put D3D8.dll, D3DImm.dll and DDraw.dll into your installation folder /Ubisoft/Ed
or
WineD3D: copy ddraw.dll, libwine.dll and wined3d.dll into your /Ubisoft/Ed folder (I haven't renamed any dll)

BTW: Many, many thanks to the programmers of dgVoodoo and WineD3D packages to make Tonic Trouble playable again!
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Wine on real Windows? Now I've seen everything! :P
Needing to run as administrator is simply because game programmers back then thought nothing of their games' needing control over files in Program Files to function. People were naïve about security back then I guess. I think it's possible to use features of the Windows Compatibility Mode system to put those files in users' home directories instead, but I don't know how to do it.
RibShark
Feuillu

Post by RibShark »

So I recently discovered there was a 2007 reprint of Tonic Trouble in the UK by Grabit, and it was marked as Vista compatible. I was hoping that this would finally allow us to play the full version in English on modern Windows. I quickly bought a copy, and it arrived today. But for some reason, the version on the CD is the Special Edition for some reason, which we can already run just fine.
closer1000
Lums Vert

Post by closer1000 »

Wow, never heard of this release. Really surprising that it's the "special edition" which is essentially the beta version. Are the files on the disc exactly the same as the special edition? If you upload this version anywhere, let me know.

I have successfully gotten the French version of Tonic Trouble [final] to run on Windows 10 WITH controller support using dgVoodoo. Not sure why the controller started working all of a sudden, but it did. It would still be nice to have the English version running in Windows 10.
RibShark
Feuillu

Post by RibShark »

Huh, after playing it for a bit, it actually seems slightly different to the normal special edition. I've only noticed one difference so far, in that the platform you are supposed to land on at the end of Ski Slope is missing so you have to swim all the way to the end, but it's strange how this is slightly different.
RibShark
Feuillu

Post by RibShark »

I've got some great news! I have finally been able to fix the English EXE for the normal version. I'll post a full tutorial to get this working on Windows 10 soon!
closer1000
Lums Vert

Post by closer1000 »

That is awesome! I'm very excited. Don't keep us waiting too long!