The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #98: How tall are you?

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

How tall are you?

Poll runs till Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:59 pm

>2.00 m
No votes
1.90 - 2.00 m
No votes
1.80 - 1.90 m
No votes
1.70 - 1.80 m
60%
1.60 - 1.70 m
20%
<1.60 m
20%

Total votes: 5

DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho
Tings: 22961

Re: The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #94: Have you ever had any paranormal experience?

Post by DaveRattlehead »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:08 pm Meanwhile, that random person had a huge celebration as their joke finally worked after trying it on hundreds of strangers on the street. :lol:
As he was supposed to have a girlfriend in another town a few years ago, I've always thought that it was an invent, but now that you mention it that also makes sense xDDDDD
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 103375

Re: The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #94: Have you ever had any paranormal experience?

Post by PluMGMK »

When I was growing up, despite my active imagination, unusually high sensitivity to media / ads depicting ghosts / demons, and automatonophobia (fear of mannequins / statues)… I don't believe I've ever experienced anything I truly found paranormal. Plenty of dreams, yes, but I don't think I've ever had it bleed into my waking hours, thank God! The closest I came was a few intense episodes of sleep paralysis which coincided with bouts of depression, but I think I quickly rationalized even those after waking up.

As for what I believe in… My take on it is that one shouldn't go messing around with such things. In other words: I don't know if possession is real, but I don't want to find out! :P There was a priest on the radio one time who put it, "why walk on the edge of a cliff?" – he was responding to an item the previous day which involved the illusionist Keith Barry talking about ouija boards…
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122955

Post by Elite Piranha »

I don't think I've seen anything. The closest paranormal experiences I had were sleep paralysis episodes and my dad making a creepy voice in the dark to scare me (when I was really really young).
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610199

Post by Hunchman801 »

Elite Piranha wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:48 am I don't think I've seen anything. The closest paranormal experiences I had were sleep paralysis episodes and my dad making a creepy voice in the dark to scare me (when I was really really young).
I approve of this parenting. :hinhinhin:
DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho

Re: The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #95: What are your thoughts on the electric cars?

Post by DaveRattlehead »

No paranormal activity in this forum! We wouldn't be protagonists from a movie :lol:
poll-paranormalactivity.png
poll-paranormalactivity.png (66.95 KiB) Viewed 472 times
This poll is from a relatively hot topic. Due to climate change, hybrid and electric cars were developed and are now being set as mandatory to drive in big cities. However, some people can't afford these cars because they are expensive.
So, the question is... What are your thoughts on the electric cars?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Re: The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #95: What are your thoughts on the electric cars?

Post by Hunchman801 »

I'm far from an expert, but in spite of the issues of cost, repairability and the environmental impact of battery manufacturing, it appears to me that electric cars are still a much better option than internal combustion engines, especially within cities. I'm reading that passenger vehicles account for about 10% of of global CO₂ emissions, so the impact of electrifying all that can't be negligible. The priority remains, however, to switch all power generation to nuclear and renewables ASAP.
DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho

Post by DaveRattlehead »

I still can't believe we're getting rid of nuclear energy in Spain... Every time someone mentions this my blood boils up :grrr:

To be honest, I'm not sure about my vote, because I don't feel I can agree with one of the options. I don't think it's a rip-off, and the perfect example is how much the air pollution was reduced during the pandemic. Of course, big corporations and flights pollute more than us, but as you mentioned, the data is there and there's no point on not admitting we somehow contribute to that pollution.

Now, hydrogen... This is interesting. The biggest problem with this matter is how can you keep it. You need special materials for that, and that's incredibly expensive. Maybe in the future it will be an interesting alternative. In my opinion, the only affordable way to use hydrogen is producing, consuming and saving it in situ. Not gonna say many details because that would give big hints about my real identity, but basically my work is focused on that.

I like both hybrid and electric cars, but I gotta say that I'm not happy at all. Well, maybe it isn't about these cars, but the politics here. I understand we're trying to follow the European model, but it's almost impossible to make an energetic transition if people only earn around €1000 per month. People would love to buy a new car and try these electric cars, but the reality is that most of the cars you see around are 15-20 years old because they can't pay for a new one. I like electric cars, but right now I guess I prefer hybrid cars, basically because there aren't many charging stations here :lol:
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I did not comment on hydrogen cars, because quite frankly, I'm not knowledgeable enough about the question of hydrogen storage, but at least clean hydrogen production is something we know how to do.

Now as for hybrids, I think they only make sense if they're plug-in hybrids and the original energy source is carbon free, because, obviously, powering car batteries with coal power plants makes no sense at all, but also, if you're only using the energy from braking to power said battery, then sure, you're saving some energy, but your car is still powered at 100% by fossil fuels. So, I don't mind hybrids, but their batteries should primarily run on clean energy and only use energy from braking as an additional means to increase efficiency.
DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho

Re: The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #96: Do you feel more productive at night?

Post by DaveRattlehead »

My busy life made me forget about this! Really sorry about that :oops2:

That point just reminded me of the KERS system being a trend in the early 2010s. I wonder what happened with that idea.

Anyway, here you have the results of the 95th poll :)
poll-electriccars.png
poll-electriccars.png (79.78 KiB) Viewed 346 times
-----------

People try to organize themselves to be more productive in their daily work. Sometimes, schedules can vary a lot and people may find themselves more comfortable working at night, when nobody's disturbing them. Others find this very surprising, as they don't get the idea to work when you're supposed to rest. So, here's our question this week... Do you feel more productive at night?
ItzalDrake
Reflux
Tings: 8748

Re: The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #96: Do you feel more productive at night?

Post by ItzalDrake »

I used to be more productive at night because of my family.
I share my bedroom so I have no private space in my house, last year I attended a 2D animation course and it was very stressful for me having people disturbing me and making noise while doing my homework.
So I preferred to stay awake at night because everyone was sleeping so I could work in peace or even stay at school and use their computers if they were available..

Unfortunately I had to stop attending that course, so now I rest at night and I'm productive during the day
Hello! Image
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I don't think I'm more productive at night, but I'm usually tired in the morning too and the afternoon is when I reach peak productivity!
DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho

Post by DaveRattlehead »

Me too :lol:. In the morning I'm still assuming I have to work, but it's between 11:00 and 17:00 when I think I'm more productive.
I have worked lots of nights, but not because I am more productive there, but because I just wanted to finish some stuff before going to sleep.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122955

Post by Elite Piranha »

Recently I don't think I ever reach peak productivity mode, I just have periods of time where I'm tired and others where I'm less tired. The "less tired" moments usually happen in the morning.
Greengoop
Nuée maléfique
Tings: 30655

Post by Greengoop »

Where’s the “I’m not really any different” option?
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78350

Post by The Jonster »

Ah so you have the same level of productivity throughout your day then?
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Greengoop
Nuée maléfique
Tings: 30655

Post by Greengoop »

Well, mostly. Sometimes I’m tired but mostly j feel like it’s day
DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho

Re: The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #97: How long have you been on the Internet?

Post by DaveRattlehead »

It seems most of us aren't big fans of working at night! That explains the extra tings given for being an all-nighter on Record Day :)
poll96.png
poll96.png (37.11 KiB) Viewed 134 times

This one's gonna be interesting. Nowadays, most of us are used to the Internet, but some started a bit earlier... Our question this week is: How long have you been on the Internet? Did you start using it in the 90s, when the WWW was born, or maybe in the 2020s? Ngl, I'd be surprised if that was the case, but who knows! Let us know about it :bad:
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 103375

Re: The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #97: How long have you been on the Internet?

Post by PluMGMK »

Voted 90s since I have a distinct recollection of playing a Teletubbies-themed Flash game in 1997~8. I'm also pretty sure I knew "the internet" was a thing to be excited about before the year 2000. But I didn't learn to use it competently until 2001 or so – I still have fond memories of using IE4 on Windows 98! :nostalgic:
ChronicTraitor
Dragon Médiéval
Tings: 10097

Post by ChronicTraitor »

I wasn't really able to use the internet before the 2000s, I'm fairly sure. I believe I did get computer lab in first or second grade (early 2000s) and it was definitely my favorite part of the day. That was before adults really knew anything about the internet and couldn't screenwatch unless they were right there. I spent a lot of time playing not so kiddy flash games, though they were pretty tame compared to ones I played later on in highschool. By then screen privacy was gone and offending sites would get blocked, unless you were Cool Math anyway. Though I will say I used a computer before I even got into school, I learned how to read by reading the names of my gramps' desktop folders! :mryellow:
DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho

Post by DaveRattlehead »

PluMGMK wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:28 am I'm also pretty sure I knew "the internet" was a thing to be excited about before the year 2000.
Man, that reminded me to lots of shops that included "2000" in their names to make everything look futuristic and revolutionary. Yeah, definitely the 2000s were a thing :lol:
ChronicTraitor wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:06 am I wasn't really able to use the internet before the 2000s, I'm fairly sure. I believe I did get computer lab in first or second grade (early 2000s) and it was definitely my favorite part of the day. That was before adults really knew anything about the internet and couldn't screenwatch unless they were right there. I spent a lot of time playing not so kiddy flash games, though they were pretty tame compared to ones I played later on in highschool. By then screen privacy was gone and offending sites would get blocked, unless you were Cool Math anyway. Though I will say I used a computer before I even got into school, I learned how to read by reading the names of my gramps' desktop folders! :mryellow:
We also had computer lab at primary school! But I gotta say the IT teacher was... The PE teacher :fou:. I don't think I learned something there, most of the things I know were learned at home with my dad, my sister or my cousin. I remember all of the class went crazy when they saw me typing very fast :lol:.

We had a computer at home. My father used Windows 95 and Windows 98, but I wasn't even born those years, so the first OS I used was Windows XP. When I started usinng Internet I was around 5 years old, and there was no supervision most of the times. That's probably a very bad idea nowadays, but I'd say the Internet (and real life generally) was a bit more innocent 20 years ago. Also, most of the times I'd be playing flash games or looking for content of the shows and videogames that I liked, so there was nothing to worry about :lol:.