The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #103: Are you ashamed to admit that you like videogames?

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

Are you ashamed to admit that you like videogames?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:44 pm

Yes, it's something I'm ashamed to tell people, so only my friends know about it
No votes
No, I'm not ashamed to say it's a hobby
100%

Total votes: 8

DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho
Tings: 24241

Re: The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #101: Which Latin language do you think is more complicated?

Post by DaveRattlehead »

No, I didn't want to approach it from an objective point of view, but rather which one is the most complicated from a personal point of view :)

I discard Italian and Portuguese as options. When I read texts in either of these two languages I am able to understand the vast majority of things. Portuguese is definitely the one that resembles the most to Spanish. What's more, the good thing about Portuguese and Spanish is that you don't need to learn the other language, most things will be understood. Italian is also very similar, but it's much easier if you know Valencian, which I also speak.

Now, between Romanian and French... Written, both seem equally difficult, and I would French is even more difficult. I know very, very, very basic things in French, but only written and I wouldn't be able to have a basic conversation at all. Pronunciation in French doesn't help either, it's quite difficult for us, as what is written is pronounced exactly the same.
DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho

Re: The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #102: Would you have studied something different?

Post by DaveRattlehead »

Really sorry for the delay, I wasn't really that active the last couple of weeks. Here you have the results of the previous poll.
poll-latin.png
poll-latin.png (58.72 KiB) Viewed 1089 times

Life is full of tough decisions, and some of them involve our working life. However, many times we have to make these kind of decisions extremely soon, which may lead to a future frustration and regret. The question this week is... Would you have studied something different? This question also applies if you didn't study (Would you work at something different?) If that's the case, what did you do? Tell us about it :P
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 104095

Re: The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #102: Would you have studied something different?

Post by PluMGMK »

I don't regret studying Maths and Physics. Do I regret taking the first job offer that was thrown my way after graduation, and slowly becoming so institutionalized that I'm afraid to even look elsewhere?

Yeah, maybe... :pardon:
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610819

Post by Hunchman801 »

No regrets, I went for a rather generalist degree (called engineering here) which kept the door open to many opportunities until the very end, so nothing to complain about here.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 123670

Post by Elite Piranha »

This polls needed a third option for the people that are in between (like me).
Greengoop
Sssam
Tings: 32625

Post by Greengoop »

I can’t really answer this poll because I’m still studying, but I don’t think I’ll regret what I’m studying in the future as that’s what seems to be calling to me. Uni is a different matter though
DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho

Post by DaveRattlehead »

Elite Piranha wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:49 am This polls needed a third option for the people that are in between (like me).
Mmm that's true ngl :oops2:. I guess you can still comment on whether you like what you're studying (or the job you have) and whether you think you've made the right choice.
Greengoop wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:41 am I can’t really answer this poll because I’m still studying, but I don’t think I’ll regret what I’m studying in the future as that’s what seems to be calling to me. Uni is a different matter though
It's important to make a good decision, but it's also important to know that you can always reverse a bad decision! Honestly, I think this is something we should have been taught and it would take a lot of fear out of people's minds when it comes to reversing a ‘bad’ decision.

Personally... I think I am happy with what I have studied. Alternatively, I think I could have gone into something related to computer science/video games, as it's something I've always liked. As for work, I have mixed feelings. I really enjoy being in the lab, but at the same time I have to admit that I am wondering what to do after the end of my contract. I have a lot of doubts and I am considering quite a few options, so I hope the doubts will be cleared up over time. I still have almost three years to think about it!
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Is that a postdoctoral contract you currently have?
DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho

Post by DaveRattlehead »

Too young for that, don't you think? ;)

It's an option, but that said... I have some time to think about it. If I had to decide now, I'd say no :lol:
DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho

Re: The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #103: Are you ashamed to admit that you like videogames?

Post by DaveRattlehead »

It's good to see that people are happy with their decisions :)
Captura de pantalla 2024-06-09 234058.png
Captura de pantalla 2024-06-09 234058.png (43.64 KiB) Viewed 844 times

This week's question is related to a personal aspect. Many of us on this forum love video games. However, video games have been considered for many years as something for nerds, weirdos or geeks. This is something that seems to be changing over the years, although many people are still stuck with that idea.

So, this week's question is... Are you ashamed to admit that you like videogames?
Ithasmore
Mouru
Tings: 3725

Re: The Awesome and Cool Poll Thread - Poll #103: Are you ashamed to admit that you like videogames?

Post by Ithasmore »

No, why would I? I've never met anyone in my life that think videogames are weird or even heard of the idea of them being weird, so the fact that some people do makes me confused as to why.
Greengoop
Sssam

Post by Greengoop »

Tf, obviously not! Literally everyone plays video games so I’m just part the crowd really. If you do think games are weird, you’re thinking on 80s logic
ItzalDrake
Reflux
Tings: 8993

Post by ItzalDrake »

I am very passionate about videogames and I am generally not ashamed of showing it, for me is impossible to hide it because of the clothes I wear, accessories, books and my "large" videogame collection in my room :lol:

But I am very ashamed to talk about videogames with my family because they think they're useless, a waste of time and money..
In my opinion, video games are a form of entertainment like books or films, maybe even better as you are the one who take actions, create strategies to continue the game and thus personalize your experience as you want :D
Hello! Image
DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho

Post by DaveRattlehead »

I've liked videogames all my life. I'm lucky enough to have a group of friends who either like videogames or I trust them so much that it doesn't really matter if they don't. I'm not ashamed to talk about videogames when I'm in a trusted environment (or even with strangers, but only if I see they're nice people), although I have to admit that it's something I try not to mention to work colleagues, who are probably within the group of ‘unknown’ people I could talk about it with. Maybe in other work environments I wouldn't mind, but in the one I'm in right now? No way! :lol:
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

I remember a couple of years ago I was on a call with my then-boss, and she asked me what I was getting up to in my imminent holidays. I said "probably a bit of computer gaming" and she said "really? I didn't think you were a computer-game kind of guy!"

I didn't ask "what's that supposed to mean?" but maybe I could have… :mefiant:
Greengoop
Sssam

Post by Greengoop »

He was just trying to say “you’re not really a regular guy” since everyone is a computer game guy, right :lol: :?:
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

DaveRattlehead wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:29 pm Too young for that, don't you think? ;)
Good point, I realize I thought you were in your thirties already!

As for the current poll, no, I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I can't say it's a hobby either, as I very seldom play games nowadays...
DaveRattlehead
El Stomacho

Post by DaveRattlehead »

Hunchman801 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:18 am Good point, I realize I thought you were in your thirties already!
I don't know whether to be flattered or not :lol:
PluMGMK wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:05 pm and she said "really? I didn't think you were a computer-game kind of guy!"
I understand that the tone of those words was mocking... It's precisely because of such comments that I prefer not to say anything. It's not something that one announces loudly, but if by commenting in a very subtle way they are able to make noises, I'd rather not listen to shit :lol:
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

I don't think she was mocking, just genuinely surprised. We worked really closely together but she didn't really know me that well I feel. That became clear in our last few months when she suddenly realized that I'd just been grudgingly going along with a project for a couple of years when she assumed I really wanted to work on it :lol:
ChronicTraitor
Dragon Médiéval
Tings: 10117

Post by ChronicTraitor »

I cast my vote. As it is I can't say I'm ashamed of playing videogames. I've always been playing games since I was very young, and it's a big part of my life. I'd be a totally different person if it wasn't such a dedicated hobby of mine. People who know me expect me to talk about what I've been playing recently because it's the only thing they can really connect to me with interest-wise. Sometimes they even ask me directly, though it's more common with people who also play games of course.