Resident Evil

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122710

Re: The Resident Evil thread

Post by Elite Piranha »

The Resident Evil 3 Remake looks pretty good, I hope R4 also gets a remake at some point in the future.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Elite Piranha wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:24 pm The Resident Evil 3 Remake looks pretty good, I hope R4 also gets a remake at some point in the future.
This is probably going to happen, even though I really don't think the game needs a remake, because well, what's left to improve? Resident Evil 4 is consistently rated one of the best video games of all times, and it still plays very well as of today. The main innovations that made the remakes of RE2 and 3 such great games, namely the modern camera and controls, RE4 had them already. Sure, said controls could be made a bit more fluid like in the recent remakes, but the difference would be minor compared to what happened to the tank controls of the pre-RE4 games. And of course, the game could benefit from the awesome visuals of the RE Engine, but then again it looks nothing like the pixelated textures and boxy 3D models of the nineties. Sure, it's not perfect: the quick-time events got old, and the island isn't quite as memorable as the rest of the game, but we're nitpicking here. It can also be a bit cheesy at times, as well as too unrealistic and spectacular (think the lava room or Saddler's final transformation), but it's actually pretty reasonable by Resident Evil standards (I mean, 5 and 6 did much, much worse, and even the awesome RE7 went a bit too far at times).

To sum up, I feel there's very, very little margin of improvement in Resident Evil 4, and with all the challenges posed by the process of remaking a game, it's extremely unlikely that they'll come up with something better than the original, and almost guaranteed that the minor improvements will end up overshadowed by the inevitable mistakes.

Not to say they should stop here with the remakes! Why not give Code Veronica a shot? It plays and looks like RE2 and 3, it's a main series game with a lot of potential that could totally benefit from the awesome work done with its predecessors, and it's a unique occasion to revisit its really interesting plot and locations without all the cheesiness of the original. And after that, maybe consider Resident Evil 0 as well as the first RE? I mean, the fixed camera angles allowed for stunning visuals at the time that I believe still look good today, but they still use the original controls, and while, in the case of the latter, a remake of a remake might rebuke some, it will be 20 years in 2022. Still a lot more potential here than in remaking RE4.

I've seen people mention RE5 and 6 too, and I'm not sure what to think. I mean, 6 is a terrible game in my opinion (or at least a terrible Resident Evil), and there's barely anything to keep there, so unless by remake you mean burn it all to the ground, pretend it never happened and start from scratch again, I see no value in that. RE5 I'm a bit less categorical about, it's not a good RE by any means, but it's not that bad either. It's just a complete rip-off of Resident Evil 4 that totally failed to match the awesomeness of the original, and everything it introduced made the game worse, except for one thing maybe: multiplayer. This probably makes it the Resident Evil I've played the most in my life, just because I spent so much time playing coop with friends. But then again, coop is not something the developers have decided to expand on with the remakes of RE2 and 3, and in a way I understand, because you'd almost need two separate games if you don't want single-player gameplay to be negatively impacted because of multiplayer like in RE5.

Anyway, I meant to say that I played both the original Resident Evil 3 and the remake back-to-back, and I'll write a review for it in the next few days.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:13 pm This is probably going to happen, even though I really don't think the game needs a remake, because well, what's left to improve? Resident Evil 4 is consistently rated one of the best video games of all times, and it still plays very well as of today.
For me, improved graphics and a few tweaks here and there are enough to make me want to play the game again (but only because I love this game so much). Besides several things could be added:

- A new Separate Ways with Luis or Mike.
- Multiplayer mode and new characters in The Mercenaries.
- New bonus costumes.
- A new bonus weapon.

These additions, even thought they’re minor, they would still be appreciated.
Hunchman801 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:13 pm Sure, it's not perfect: the quick-time events got old, and the island isn't quite as memorable as the rest of the game, but we're nitpicking here. It can also be a bit cheesy at times, as well as too unrealistic and spectacular (think the lava room or Saddler's final transformation), but it's actually pretty reasonable by Resident Evil standards (I mean, 5 and 6 did much, much worse, and even the awesome RE7 went a bit too far at times).
The island is my favorite part of the game just because of Mike, Krauser and the Regenerators. Also, a RE game being too unrealistic and spectacular is not a problem for me as long as it is still fun to play.
Hunchman801 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:13 pm To sum up, I feel there's very, very little margin of improvement in Resident Evil 4, and with all the challenges posed by the process of remaking a game, it's extremely unlikely that they'll come up with something better than the original, and almost guaranteed that the minor improvements will end up overshadowed by the inevitable mistakes.

Not to say they should stop here with the remakes! Why not give Code Veronica a shot? It plays and looks like RE2 and 3, it's a main series game with a lot of potential that could totally benefit from the awesome work done with its predecessors, and it's a unique occasion to revisit its really interesting plot and locations without all the cheesiness of the original. And after that, maybe consider Resident Evil 0 as well as the first RE? I mean, the fixed camera angles allowed for stunning visuals at the time that I believe still look good today, but they still use the original controls, and while, in the case of the latter, a remake of a remake might rebuke some, it will be 20 years in 2022. Still a lot more potential here than in remaking RE4.
I agree, other RE games would benefit more from a remake and they probably should be remade before thinking about doing the same to R4. However knowing myself, I would still try to buy the R4 remake if the project comes to fruition and I have the money to do so (I guess I'm part of the problem :mrgreen:).
Hunchman801 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:13 pm I mean, 6 is a terrible game in my opinion (or at least a terrible Resident Evil), and there's barely anything to keep there, so unless by remake you mean burn it all to the ground, pretend it never happened and start from scratch again.
I have never played or watched let’s plays of R6, but now I want to look it up on YouTube to have an idea of how good or bad the game is :mrgreen:.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Re: Resident Evil

Post by Hunchman801 »

Elite Piranha wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:28 pm I agree, other RE games would benefit more from a remake and they probably should be remade before thinking about doing the same to R4. However knowing myself, I would still try to buy the R4 remake if the project comes to fruition and I have the money to do so (I guess I'm part of the problem :mrgreen:).
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd buy it without hesitation too! I just hope they focus on the games with more 'remake potential' instead. I like your idea of playing as Luis and Mike though, maybe this could even be made part of the main scenario, just like you take control of Ada and Sherry in Resident Evil 2 (and like you already do with Ashley). I mean, Separate Ways is cool and all, but it would be even better if they seamlessly integrated it into the game (of course, they couldn't reuse the same environments any more).

Anyway, like I said I recently beat the original Resident Evil 3 and the remake back-to-back, and I've just 'platinumed' the latter, so here's my thoughts!

Overall, it's a very positive experience, and it comes pretty close to the Resident Evil 2 remake. Despite the original Resident Evil 3 being a great game and introducing the iconic Nemesis, a character that marked an entire generation of gamers, the original RE2 was clearly superior, and I like how they bridged the gap here. I think this owes to the fact that they look the liberty of changing a lot more things than in Resident Evil 2, whether it's the plot or the areas you visit.

Sure, the first part still takes place in the city streets, there's a train that derails, a battle by the clock tower, you briefly revisit the police station and make your way through a hospital in search of a vaccine, but that's about it. The downtown area is completely different, with the electrical substation the only remaining landmark. The police station you don't visit early in the game as Jill but slightly later as Carlos. There's a whole additional section with the sewers and the demolition site. The clock tower you don't even visit at all, which is a shame as the game is maybe a bit short and could have benefited from an additional environment. The park and its grave digger are gone too, which I guess is fine as they weren't particularly memorable, though a short walk at night through a zombie-infested park could have added to the atmosphere. The hospital you spend at lot more time in, which is cool, but then they decided to entirely replace the disused plant with yet another underground lab very similar to that of Resident Evil 2, and I think that was a mistake. The dead factory was already some kind of a lab, but it was more eerie and creepy than the shiny facility we've got now, and it made for a change, too! Plus, how could they not include the dead T-103 tyrants and US soldiers that are shown at the end of the original game? That was a really cool detail.

Plot-wise, the overall idea stays the same, but there's a lot of differences too. You meet Carlos right from the start, there's no attempt to get picked up by the clock tower, the whole getting the vaccine to stop the government from destroying the city thing is new, and there's countless details I won't go over. I like this new take, and overall, those changes are for the better. The new story feels more cohesive, and seems to better fit the gameplay itself.

Because yeah, just like the original RE3 was more slightly more action-oriented than its predecessor, so is this game compared to the RE2 remake. Jill being a trained cop, she can attempt to evade hits, unlike rookie Leon or college student Claire. There was also an evade mechanic in the original Resident Evil 3, but I was never able to make any sense of it. While the new one sometimes feels at bit random, at least it works! Not to worry, the game still feels like a survival-horror, and you'll have to be careful with your resources, but this action-oriented aspect shows when Nemesis chases you from the very beginning, or during the stand-off in the hospital.

What about enemies now? Well, it draws on the spirit of the original, with most creatures returning, but there's a few changes, most of them welcome. The only thing I missed was the giant spiders, which are completely scrapped, just like in the Resident Evil 2 remake. I mean, they only appeared a couple times in the original RE2 and 3 but they're a staple of the series. Like I said above, the grave digger and its offspring are gone, and it's no big deal, really. The drain deimos and brain lickers were scrapped too, but they weren't too memorable and new enemies serve their purpose pretty well. Actually, I think the insectoid parasites in the substation are meant to be drain deimos, but they're so different it makes more sense to consider them a whole new enemy (they look completely different, they're much smaller, much weaker, there's a lot more of them, their attacks too are different, etc.). Of course, we still have our classic zombies and zombie dogs, and they also kept the hunters beta and gamma, which are quite different but very nicely reinvented. They've also added some lickers where it makes sense to see them, and there's two types of brand new enemies, the plagas-like zombies possessed by NE-α parasites, seemingly infected by Nemesis itself, and the creepy pale heads that make a return from the RE2 remake DLC (Elite, if you like regeneradores, you'll like them too). They ditched the possibility to get rid of their regenerative ability though, and you'll just have to either avoid them and deal a lot of damage quickly, which feels nicer in terms of gameplay.

And of course, there's Nemesis himself. It takes a while to get used to his new look, but I love it now, he's really creepy like this. Gameplay-wise, he's easier to take down for rewards, but like Mr. X in the RE2 remake, he'll get up on his feet real, real quick, and not just wait until the next scripted appearance like in the original. Even though he's scripted too, it does really feel like he's not giving you any rest during the first part of the game, and that's great. He runs faster than you, can pretty much jump right in front you, so expect trouble when making your way out of the areas he's in. I liked the new 'flamethrower phase', and the corresponding boss fight is pretty cool too.

Now they didn't only change Nemesis' first appearance! The second phase is no longer tentacle-Nemesis but goes straight to a phase-4-Birkin-like quadruped, and the final wall of meat is like phase 5 Birkin on steroids. Much better than the original third phase, but maybe there should have been an additional form between the first and second ones?

So yeah, overall, a really cool game. It even got me back into the RE2 remake, but unlocking shit is much harder in that one. At least, this may be the occasion to write that review I never posted...
Lavarda
Lums
Tings: 25

Post by Lavarda »

I love all parts of resident evil and of course I like Mila Jovovich.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I guess everyone interested in the series has already seen the trailer for Resident Evil 8?

Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

The trailer looks great, the new enemy gives me feral vibes, almost like a werewolf.

Edit: I take back what I said before, I didn't notice that the vampire lady was drinking Ethan's blood straight from the wrist at first, it was a very short scene.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I didn't notice that either, but I see it now. Still, no idea what this means for the greater plot!
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

A very important image (by @Rhiwen):

Also, what happened to the other english RE threads?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Nice one here, the resemblance is uncanny! As for the various RE threads, I think they were merged recently.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:06 pm Nice one here, the resemblance is uncanny! As for the various RE threads, I think they were merged recently.
I see, in that case I'll tell Plum to edit the Off Topic Index later, since some of the links don't work anymore.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Done. Not sure how we spaced on that… :oops2:
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

PluMGMK wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:35 pm Done. Not sure how we spaced on that… :oops2:
Thanks for taking care of that! :mrgreen:
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Well, I'm probably the one responsible for this. :oops2:

Anyway, I've read that they're going to release another playable demo, this time available on all platforms. I'm still undecided as to whether to buy a PS5, so at least I'll be able to play it. :P
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

So, we have come to this :mrgreen::

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Haha, this is pure genius. :lol: I guess this must be a bonus weapon of some sort.

As for the game, I'm really liking it so far. Strong Resident Evil 4 vibes there! I'm playing it in small sessions with friends, and I only just beat Lady Dimitrescu, so I hope I'm nowhere near the end (though it did take us some time to get there already). I haven't even read a single test so as to make up on my own mind, but I can't wait to see what's next. :D
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

From the videos that I have watched, it seems that at some point The Duke references The Merchant from R4, which I think it was a really nice touch.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Yeah, I noticed that line when playing. Did you get the game by the way?
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:01 pm Yeah, I noticed that line when playing. Did you get the game by the way?
Unfortunately, no, but I'm watching a let's play of it.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Trailer for the RE4 remake: