Talk about everything but Rayman!

Moderator: English moderators

Keane
Globox
Tings: 145022

Re: Something Bothering you?/Daily Doldrums

Post by Keane » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:37 am

Burgers float into my room...
[quote="Adsolution"]muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)[/quote]

CHRdutch
Bzzit
Tings: 23280

Post by CHRdutch » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:17 pm

YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/user/CHRdutch
Ambidextroid wrote:< was in such a rush < had no time for breakfast, so < took a fistful of corn flakes and stuffed them in <'s mouth, then poured milk over the top. It worked but it drizzled milk all over <'s front...
Record Day 2015 madness

incognito
Ratcognito
Tings: 15073

Post by incognito » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Post by Master » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:31 pm

There always seems to be a line between serious and not so serious discussion in this thread. I don't know, while it's nice to air things out, sometimes a laugh is what you need to keep going, even if this thread is ultimately meant to be serious.

That being said, as fun as image macroes and other like items are, they have been at the threshold of spammy posts in the past. Though we've not had things get to the level things were a few years back, and I do enjoy them in moderation. So, I guess I'll call time on this one, I think we're approaching the excess.

Keane
Globox

Post by Keane » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:27 am

Master wrote:That being said, as fun as image macroes and other like items are, they have been at the threshold of spammy posts in the past. Though we've not had things get to the level things were a few years back, and I do enjoy them in moderation. So, I guess I'll call time on this one, I think we're approaching the excess.
Gay, Inco's post is the only one devolving into maymays and I don't see any reason to shut it down unless it continued down that path, where's the horror in conversation going off the rails for a while when there wasn't even any happening anyway? Staying on topic should only be enforced when it's clearly derailing something or it's going on too long.

The staff keeps getting aneurysms over "frodo you must carry the memes to the mountain and not forget the great terror that happened in 2014" when, as far as I remember, a few topics had a couple shitposts made and there wasn't any real spam attack that ever happened. Not that this was like an exceptionally funny exchange, but it's really confusing to me how this has been repeatedly criticised as a reason why activity declined, but not the gorillion discussions about how <'s lunch sandwich surely had more pieces of sliced lettuce on it than the one from yesterday! Activity is far less important than the kind of content you're getting on your forums, which in the past couple months has felt like complete schlock.

Not that I'm saying that that should be shut down either, my point is that the current approach at the forums feels like it's doing more to strain rather than encourage conversation, and the diversity of RPC feels absent lately. This is just my personal observation, but I feel like people in general have gotten a lot less spirited and interesting around here and like the general whiteness of the conversation lately is (consciously or subconsciously?) causing people to follow its lead. Memes aren't going to revert that problem, but it does seem weird to me that when the staff insists Skype & Discord are hurting activity that it would be the kind of smalltalk you have in those chats that gets more encouraged here. I love the forum format for this kind of post, or to crack a kind of joke you can't do in a direct conversation, but not so much to mention that <'s cat is sleeping on <'s bed right now, and + I ate a burger today!
[quote="Adsolution"]muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)[/quote]

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:55 am

Forgive me, but define "whiteness," I'm not the best at extracting what that entails.

As for the general point, I do agree. We have tried to tone down the excess, you'll notice that the posting sprees have ended. And there are attempts to keep conversation going, I try to keep things up in threads like the Ninty, Crash and other threads. Though on the topic of the You Game, I feel such mundane posts have always been a part of it. There's decent conversations in between, but in general it's always come across as a stand-in for Twitter. Of course, that's my perception only, so correct me if I'm wrong. We've tried to only target game threads for our active posting, and kept more genuine discussion on other threads.

As for this thread, I admit, given how this topic tends to have had member's grievances completely swept aside in the past thanks to nonsense, I've had a preference to being particularly harsh here. Perhaps lightening up is indeed the way to go. For memes in general, yeah, I think you're right. They were problematic at the time due to overuse, and we've come down harsh to compensate. But that's some time ago, and the forum dynamics have changed. I appreciate that banter comes in many forms, memes are a fine way to allow for it, and we run the risk of becoming sterile if we overdo our prosecuting of things.

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Post by Adsolution » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:44 am

Master wrote:Forgive me, but define "whiteness," I'm not the best at extracting what that entails.
Like, when people feel the need to have all their conversations espouse a goody-two-shoes personality, often acting disgusted by the very sight of memery, as an attempt to come across as mature or some kind of a role model. When they make a joke, it's usually dated and unfunny because they've actively shielded themselves from the atheists. Common causes of whiteness are:
  • Enjoyment of smoothies and wheat baking
  • Impartiality to absolutely everything except drugs and alcohol, where a firm stance is taken
  • First-owned console being a Wii
  • Shares "life is like an airplane first must work real hard but then fly" quote image on Facebook
  • Married parents, or parents that are separated but on good terms
  • Thinking tuna and salmon are exotic
----
CHRdutch wrote:Congratulations, you now look like a dick.
:arrow:
incognito wrote:Well, from what I see here there ain't any serious posts about any issues here
Why are people so intent on shooting down Fifo? He's as free to share his own personal problems as anyone else is, and I think it is pretty over the top to punish someone for saying holy crap. There's no context of course, but I'm interested.

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:55 am

Well, going off that list, I'm one point there? I dunno. Anyways, for want of a better term, the general point is to stop being so pedestrian?

As for those responses, I thought CHRdutch's response was to Keane, not to Fifo, given Keane's parody on Inco's post.

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Post by Adsolution » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:58 am

Master wrote:As for those responses, I thought CHRdutch's response was to Keane, not to Fifo, given Keane's parody on Inco's post.
It was, but I was pointing out how CHR was calling the wrong person a dick when it seems incognito was the one passing off Fifo's thing as a non-issue.

Keane
Globox

Post by Keane » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:21 am

Adsolution wrote:[*]Impartiality to absolutely everything except drugs and alcohol, where a firm stance is taken
LOL
Master wrote:Forgive me, but define "whiteness," I'm not the best at extracting what that entails.
Pedestrian yes, we're making fun of white stereotypes. Ad forgot to put a rush of anger when seeing black people, hahahahahhaha!

But yeah, I feel like when the conversation itself is mundane people tend to lose their edge with it. I also feel like that inadvertently made people slightly more hostile to humour ala me making fun of Inco's post.
Master wrote:As for the general point, I do agree. We have tried to tone down the excess, you'll notice that the posting sprees have ended. And there are attempts to keep conversation going, I try to keep things up in threads like the Ninty, Crash and other threads. Though on the topic of the You Game, I feel such mundane posts have always been a part of it. There's decent conversations in between, but in general it's always come across as a stand-in for Twitter. Of course, that's my perception only, so correct me if I'm wrong. We've tried to only target game threads for our active posting, and kept more genuine discussion on other threads.
Right. Well, I think the problem is also that it's gotten kind of predictable in terms of what people'll respond to certain things, like the religion thread not being as funny/weird as it used to be. I don't really know how to solve that problem, other than post clown pictures in the doldrums thread.
Master wrote:As for this thread, I admit, given how this topic tends to have had member's grievances completely swept aside in the past thanks to nonsense, I've had a preference to being particularly harsh here.
That is fair point old Keanus didn't think about that. It's okay though, Inco is a stronk man.
Master wrote:Perhaps lightening up is indeed the way to go. For memes in general, yeah, I think you're right. They were problematic at the time due to overuse, and we've come down harsh to compensate. But that's some time ago, and the forum dynamics have changed. I appreciate that banter comes in many forms, memes are a fine way to allow for it, and we run the risk of becoming sterile if we overdo our prosecuting of things.
Yes that is very good to hear!

Rayfist
Rayman 2
Tings: 176605

Post by Rayfist » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:07 am

I think you can also refer to these people as 'normies'
Adsolution wrote:*First-owned console being a Wii
Heh, so true.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D

incognito
Ratcognito

Post by incognito » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:01 am

Adsolution wrote:
Master wrote:As for those responses, I thought CHRdutch's response was to Keane, not to Fifo, given Keane's parody on Inco's post.
It was, but I was pointing out how CHR was calling the wrong person a dick when it seems incognito was the one passing off Fifo's thing as a non-issue.
Now tell me, where's his post on the topic ? The man just posted a link, the topic was made as far as I'm aware to expose and develop your issues.

Look, I have an issue, click here to see it !

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 555380

Post by Hunchman801 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:37 am

Keane wrote:Gay, Inco's post is the only one devolving into maymays and I don't see any reason to shut it down unless it continued down that path, where's the horror in conversation going off the rails for a while when there wasn't even any happening anyway? Staying on topic should only be enforced when it's clearly derailing something or it's going on too long.
Did Master say anything about earlier posts going too far? No, he simply said that we were approaching the threshold, and that it was a good time to stop. No one said anything about your posts, so why do you feel targeted?
Keane wrote:Not that this was like an exceptionally funny exchange, but it's really confusing to me how this has been repeatedly criticised as a reason why activity declined, but not the gorillion discussions about how <'s lunch sandwich surely had more pieces of sliced lettuce on it than the one from yesterday! Activity is far less important than the kind of content you're getting on your forums, which in the past couple months has felt like complete schlock.
You're completely wrong about posting sprees, the reason we've cracked down on them is because they were found to hurt activity (as well as bring very little value). Or haven't you paid enough attention to notice that there hasn't been one in weeks? :roll:
Keane wrote:Memes aren't going to revert that problem, but it does seem weird to me that when the staff insists Skype & Discord are hurting activity that it would be the kind of smalltalk you have in those chats that gets more encouraged here. I love the forum format for this kind of post, or to crack a kind of joke you can't do in a direct conversation, but not so much to mention that <'s cat is sleeping on <'s bed right now, and + I ate a burger today!
I have no idea why you're bringing chats into this—again. Has the team expressed any public view on the matter, let alone discouraged anyone from posting anywhere? How and when have we insisted that chats hurt activity? How and when have we encouraged small talk? You're just throwing accusations at the team but I fail to see much ground for them.

Keane
Globox

Post by Keane » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:50 am

incognito wrote:Now tell me, where's his post on the topic ? The man just posted a link, the topic was made as far as I'm aware to expose and develop your issues.

Look, I have an issue, click here to see it !
Hunchman801 wrote:Did Master say anything about earlier posts going too far?
Hunchman801 wrote:No one said anything about your posts, so why do you feel targeted?
:?:
I didn't state either of these things. I came across like a slight cock rereading the post so maybe I seemed triggered, but:
Hunchman801 wrote:No, he simply said that we were approaching the threshold, and that it was a good time to stop.
Ya I know, that was what I was complaining about. I thought the "image macroes" (wtf) weren't enough to warrant a mod coming out to stop the conversation, and that it seemed unnecessary to interfere under the guise of it being spam (as long as it didn't turn into just le random memery) or it being off topic when there wasn't any discussion happening anyway.
Hunchman801 wrote:You're completely wrong about posting sprees, the reason we've cracked down on them is because they were found to hurt activity (as well as bring very little value). Or haven't you paid enough attention to notice that there hasn't been one in weeks? :roll:
hmm
Keane wrote:but not the gorillion discussions about how <'s lunch sandwich surely had more pieces of sliced lettuce on it than the one from yesterday! Activity is far less important than the kind of content you're getting on your forums, which in the past couple months has felt like complete schlock.
Yeah, I'm being mildly homosapien and inaccurate here. What I'm getting at there has less to do with how the staff conducts itself and more with the tone of the forums, which is a more subjective area as what I find to be really fucking boring is evidently interesting to someone else and probably vise versa.
Hunchman801 wrote:I have no idea why you're bringing chats into this—again. Has the team expressed any public view on the matter, let alone discouraged anyone from posting anywhere? How and when have we insisted that chats hurt activity?
I think you're misinterpreting what I said, I'm not implying the staff criticised chats, I'm just referencing to back when you pointed out activity declined recently and they may be partially responsible for that. "Insists" is gay word choice of mine there, but my point had nothing to do with what the staff might think about them and more that, if they are impacting the forums, then we should aim to differentiate RPC from chats and give people more unique content.

Look, I'm not trying to be like "HUH WHY DIDNT I GET WHAT I WANT DUNNHH", and I don't have anything against Ray502 (He's a fine mod!), but it seems sort of contradictory that one of the people who gets picked to moderate a forum with declining interest is someone who posts almost exclusively in "game threads", over someone like Ad who posts with much more substance, seemingly only over the level of activity - but then the posting spree did more harm than good. Oi!
Hunchman801 wrote:How and when have we encouraged small talk?
Whell, what I'm saying here boils down again to that I just find the content of the forums to be really uninteresting and lacking a sense of humour, and like things are getting a bit out of touch? No, the staff isn't going out and trying to steer the conversation, but see:
Keane wrote:I feel like when the conversation itself is mundane people tend to lose their edge with it. I also feel like that inadvertently made people slightly more hostile to humour ala me making fun of Inco's post.
Which isn't necessarily something the staff is responsible for or something I'm holding people like accountable for, but the nature of RPC's current content feels slightly forced and almost tediously clean. So then when people have a fuuny with each other like Ad shitposting some zalgo text or me posting sad clowns here, and people take that negatively when the alternative is really drab talk like people detailing what homework they did today, it frustrates me and comes across like people are rather opting for the latter.

TL;DR, you're right I'm wrongly accusing the staff of some of these things nor are they things you can really "fault" people for, but I do think a laxer attitude and quality control would push le RaymanPC into a better direction.
Hunchman801 wrote:You're just throwing accusations at the team but I fail to see much ground for them.
yeah and what if i came to your house and beat you the fuck up huh!!!i know a lot of people that do karate and im not afraid to send them after you you you fucking bitch!! would you still say this then huh??

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:25 pm

Keane wrote:Ya I know, that was what I was complaining about. I thought the "image macroes" (wtf) weren't enough to warrant a mod coming out to stop the conversation, and that it seemed unnecessary to interfere under the guise of it being spam (as long as it didn't turn into just le random memery) or it being off topic when there wasn't any discussion happening anyway.
Well I think Master stepped in at the right time. He didn't say anything about your post or dutch's, but when inco started posting more generic stuff he felt like this might get out of hand and I agree. Don't see it as a sign that we're against having fun; after all, pages of generic memes aren't all that fun.
Keane wrote:I think you're misinterpreting what I said, I'm not implying the staff criticised chats, I'm just referencing to back when you pointed out activity declined recently and they may be partially responsible for that. "Insists" is gay word choice of mine there, but my point had nothing to do with what the staff might think about them and more that, if they are impacting the forums, then we should aim to differentiate RPC from chats and give people more unique content.
When did I say that though? Anyway, we agree that we need to differentiate the forum from chats and we're working on it (more below).
Keane wrote:Look, I'm not trying to be like "HUH WHY DIDNT I GET WHAT I WANT DUNNHH", and I don't have anything against Ray502 (He's a fine mod!), but it seems sort of contradictory that one of the people who gets picked to moderate a forum with declining interest is someone who posts almost exclusively in "game threads", over someone like Ad who posts with much more substance, seemingly only over the level of activity - but then the posting spree did more harm than good. Oi!
Well I'm sure you understand that a lot more things were taken into account when casting our votes than just the stuff you mentioned, and no less than ten staff and ex-staff members voted, which I think makes the decision legitimate. But on the topic of moderator activity specifically, it was simply decided, due to the periods of very low activity the forum went through before the election, that it wasn't enough for a moderator to be a passive onlooker, and we needed no such moderators anyway because there were almost no posts to monitor in the first place.
Keane wrote:Whell, what I'm saying here boils down again to that I just find the content of the forums to be really uninteresting and lacking a sense of humour, and like things are getting a bit out of touch? No, the staff isn't going out and trying to steer the conversation, but see:
Keane wrote:I feel like when the conversation itself is mundane people tend to lose their edge with it. I also feel like that inadvertently made people slightly more hostile to humour ala me making fun of Inco's post.
Which isn't necessarily something the staff is responsible for or something I'm holding people like accountable for, but the nature of RPC's current content feels slightly forced and almost tediously clean. So then when people have a fuuny with each other like Ad shitposting some zalgo text or me posting sad clowns here, and people take that negatively when the alternative is really drab talk like people detailing what homework they did today, it frustrates me and comes across like people are rather opting for the latter.

TL;DR, you're right I'm wrongly accusing the staff of some of these things nor are they things you can really "fault" people for, but I do think a laxer attitude and quality control would push le RaymanPC into a better direction.
Hunchman801 wrote:You're just throwing accusations at the team but I fail to see much ground for them.
yeah and what if i came to your house and beat you the fuck up huh!!!i know a lot of people that do karate and im not afraid to send them after you you you fucking bitch!! would you still say this then huh??
*la RaymanPC :pascontent: Image

Anyway, I get your point, and while I understand that not everything is completely satisfactory at the moment, I truly believe that we have made good progress since the election and that we're still headed in the right direction. Like I said we've cracked down on posting sprees, just like we're trying to avoid full-blown meme wars, but no one said anything about jokes or even well-placed memes. We're working on several community projects well adapted to the forum format which we hope will bring interesting discussions, whether they be regular events or innovations such the recently opened modding and utilities subforum. If you have any other suggestions to improve this place, please let us know, and in the meantime, the best way to get to participate in fun and interesting discussions is to start them ourselves (which you're doing already). :)

Ray502
Reflux
Tings: 123785

Post by Ray502 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:31 am

Quite an interesting discussion there.

So I was heading into town to go bowling and to Lowe's to get some things to fix a part of the swingset, but I was hungry on the way so I stopped by McDonalds to get an ice cream cone and a drink. As I was finishing the cone, a homeless man came slowly walking up to the car. As he came closing in, I thought for a few seconds he had a gun in his left hand. I began to panic and got caught in the moment of indecision, since I have never been in that scenario before.

He came up to me and he was really nice (turned out he had no gun in his hand). He wanted some money to get something to eat and drink. I couldn't reject just to make sure he actually had a pistol in his pocket. So with my mother taking over, she gave him 2 dollars and some change. He was very appriciative and told me to stay in school and work my way to college. Didn't die or get shot. Whew.

Rayman: Razorbeard's Vengeance

Rayman 2: The Alternate Side (Demo Available Now!)

FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556

incognito
Ratcognito

Post by incognito » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:41 am

It ain't because a man got a gun in his hand that he'll systematically use it anyway.
Proof - Me.

For some reason when caught in that kind of situations I always get a burst of adrenaline that makes me do the right thing.

Xenon
Globox
Tings: 132565

Post by Xenon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 am

It is a bit annoying really. Yesterday in Reading I had someone come up to me asking for money while I was talking on the phone. To be honest though, I wouldn't mind giving them money if I knew it was going to be put to good use, rather than to buy substance...

Pirez
Ly
Tings: 97770

Post by Pirez » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:33 am

Yes, because if they survive this long, it's because they eat crystal meth. It's very nourishing.

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:32 pm

incognito wrote:It ain't because a man got a gun in his hand that he'll systematically use it anyway.
Proof - Me.