Talk about everything but Rayman!

Moderator: English moderators

PluMGMK
Pâquerette
Location: Tír an "Tuisil Ghinidigh" agus an "Mhodha Choinníollaigh"
Tings: 14393

Re: Cartoon Shows

Post by PluMGMK » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:15 pm

I don't think that episode got its message across…

incognito
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by incognito » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:30 pm

I bought three seasons of the Simpsons lately and I tried to bring myself to watch it but honestly... I don't seem to enjoy any episode anymore, it may be due to Homer's dubber not being the same in S1, but still, while I still laugh when thinking about gags of previously watched episodes or when I imitate him, I don't like it like before.

PluMGMK
Pâquerette
Location: Tír an "Tuisil Ghinidigh" agus an "Mhodha Choinníollaigh"
Tings: 14393

Post by PluMGMK » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Sounds like you need to go off the Simpsons for a while then. In my experience, that leads to fresh appreciation.
Also I'm upset they stopped putting out DVDs after Season 17. But it was quite fortuitous for me, because my DVD shelves were just full after that one came out!

incognito
Électoon

Post by incognito » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:49 pm

In two years I practically watched 2 episodes, that's already a long break.

Ray502
Poulet Zombie
Tings: 125

Post by Ray502 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Season 1 had some depressing and serious moments. Moaning Lisa for example of an episode, Homer attempting to leave the family after he got fired from the plant, and when Homer was dancing with the stripper, almost an infidelity situation with Marge. I prefer for the most part, seasons 5-8. But what I said in the last page, 1-10 were overall the seasons in which The Simpsons was in it's prime.

Rayman: Razorbeard's Vengeance

Rayman 2: The Alternate Side (Demo Available Now!)

FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556

Ambidextroid
Jano
Tings: 85630

Post by Ambidextroid » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:46 am

I haven't seen the Simpsons in ages, the last one I watched was a Christmas episode set in the future where Bart has to reunite with his kids and Maggie is a pop star. As far as I remember it was really good

Bradandez
Globox
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:22 am

Ambidextroid wrote:Any info on a season 3? I thought it was supposed to come out before 2017, I can't wait!

I've been watching Ren and Stimpy for whatever reason, nostalgia I suppose. It's both weirder and funnier than I remember
Bzzit wrote:I think it's supposed to come out in March, so not long to wait!
Nope. It's been delayed until further notice.
http://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/1/25/143 ... dan-harmon

Dart
Aglagl
Tings: 49815

Post by Dart » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:49 pm

Bradandez wrote:
Ambidextroid wrote:Any info on a season 3? I thought it was supposed to come out before 2017, I can't wait!

I've been watching Ren and Stimpy for whatever reason, nostalgia I suppose. It's both weirder and funnier than I remember
Bzzit wrote:I think it's supposed to come out in March, so not long to wait!
Nope. It's been delayed until further notice.
http://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/1/25/143 ... dan-harmon
How much do you want to bet that there was at least one episode about Hillary becoming president but then they realized "Oh fuck we aren't South Park with the ability to change things last minute?"

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Post by Adsolution » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:12 pm

continued from :arrow:
sergiomonty wrote:Now... are those shows bad? well... not really, at least not all of them.
The Powerpuff girls reboot is horrible. I watched the first three episodes, and it was the cringiest, preachiest thing I've seen in a while, and I have a pretty high tolerance for ass. I don't normally say the following about anything really, but: what an utter disgrace to the original.
Shelby Watson wrote:"The animation is beyond lazy... the art direction itself is catastrophic. Animators routinely forget their own rules on how to animate their characters, leading to a disjointed style that just comes across like the animators don’t care." Watson also noted other technical problems in the series, such as inconsistencies in character design or misuse of perspective, saying that they "shouldn't happen in a professional studio."
That's just spot-on, I noticed every single one of those things. Additionally, I like how focused the show is on preaching feminism "as a juxtaposition to the original series", despite the girls themselves being far more stereotypical, far weaker, and far more knob-headed than they were in the original series.
sergiomonty wrote:The shows are overly saturated, noisy, very CalArts-clean in terms of artstyle...
The CalArts style is distinct and I guess I like it, but not when it's overused to the point where, aside from what the get-up of the main characters, you literally can't tell Steven Universe from Gravity Falls, despite them coming from entirely different studios. I remember being shocked in the early 2000's when I saw Danny Phantom use the same artstyle as tFoP, which (I think?) was something pretty uncommon at the time.

Do I give a shit though? Not really, not if the shows themselves are good. I thought Gravity Falls was pretty alright, but I don't understand why it receives the universal acclaim and endless idyllic praise that it does. I was relatively enticed by each episode and there were some neat themes, but I didn't find the show remotely mind-blowing in any conceivable fashion. That being said, I've only watched the first season, and people seem to like the second season more.

I've never watched SU, but I get the impression people hate on it way too much for no particular reason. From an outside perspective, I get the feeling I might enjoy it more than GF. Do you have any input?

Dart
Aglagl

Post by Dart » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:58 pm

Adsolution wrote:
Shelby Watson wrote:"The animation is beyond lazy... the art direction itself is catastrophic. Animators routinely forget their own rules on how to animate their characters, leading to a disjointed style that just comes across like the animators don’t care." Watson also noted other technical problems in the series, such as inconsistencies in character design or misuse of perspective, saying that they "shouldn't happen in a professional studio."
That's just spot-on, I noticed every single one of those things. Additionally, I like how focused the show is on preaching feminism "as a juxtaposition to the original series", despite the girls themselves being far more stereotypical, far weaker, and far more knob-headed than they were in the original series.
This.
Adsolution wrote:I thought Gravity Falls was pretty alright, but I don't understand why it receives the universal acclaim and endless idyllic praise that it does. I was relatively enticed by each episode and there were some neat themes, but I didn't find the show remotely mind-blowing in any conceivable fashion. That being said, I've only watched the first season, and people seem to like the second season more.
It would be hard to explain why I love it as much as I do. Is it the charm of the characters? The music? The fact that it's the only animated mystery series currently airing? I'm not entirely sure. Maybe some day I'll binge the complete series and do a retrospective on it.
Adsolution wrote:I've never watched SU, but I get the impression people hate on it way too much for no particular reason. From an outside perspective, I get the feeling I might enjoy it more than GF. Do you have any input?
Now this one I can explain easily. Steven Universe is a pretentious ugly little shit of a show that constantly panders to SJW/Tumblr culture with annoying narratives of how pathetic and unchallenged it's characters are. It's attempts to approach subjects like feminism and the LGBT community are ham-fisted and obnoxious at best; yes we get it, there are lesbians, does every critical moment in the show have to be about how the gems are either girls or lesbians? And what about Steven? He acts like a self-centered brat any chance he gets, and it's the most fucking irritating thing to see in a main character. Sure Mordecai and Rigby of Regular Show fame could often be dicks, but they were always punished for their actions unlike Steven, who is seemingly rewarded for being a little bitch. And why is there so much crying in this show, does that not annoy anyone else???

Bradandez
Globox
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:32 pm

Gravity Falls isn't as good as I thought it was.

Dart
Aglagl

Post by Dart » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:41 am

Perhaps this is a good and short explanation as to why I enjoy Gravity Falls: Thinking on it, another out of lore reason that I like the show so much is that it strays from the "lol, so random" style that most cartoons since Adventure Time have been using during the 2010s. Not that I hate these cartoons, heck some of my favorites shows this decade employ much of the same style or humor including Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, and Star Vs.

I mean sure I'm putting it on a bit of a pedestal for a fairly arbitrary reason there, but it's not like the 2000's anymore where you had several genres of animated shows playing at the same time; like even o a franchise that's been a mystery series for 40 years like Scooby-Do isn't immune to being turned into a dumb comedy these days.

Bzzit
Bzzit
Tings: 24529

Post by Bzzit » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:00 am

Dart wrote: How much do you want to bet that there was at least one episode about Hillary becoming president but then they realized "Oh fuck we aren't South Park with the ability to change things last minute?"
That would be both hilarious and tragic if it were the case.

Speaking of South Park and The President-elect, it seems they'll be backing off Trump next season: http://www.avclub.com/article/south-par ... ump-249592

I hope they also go back to the classic episode format next season, or even season 19 format, as 20 was pretty hit and miss overall.
Rayman is the best man

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 404000

Post by Master » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Looks like we've got a date now for the Samurai Jack continuation: And now there's a new trailer:

sergiomonty
Antitoon

Post by sergiomonty » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:21 am

Adsolution wrote:continued from :arrow:
sergiomonty wrote:Now... are those shows bad? well... not really, at least not all of them.
The Powerpuff girls reboot is horrible. I watched the first three episodes, and it was the cringiest, preachiest thing I've seen in a while, and I have a pretty high tolerance for ass. I don't normally say the following about anything really, but: what an utter disgrace to the original.
OH FUCK YES, that one sucks huge hairy balls. Why of all the shows did you choose that one? ugh.
That guy has a badoo account too. :lol: -Harpic fraîcheur

Sergaymonty~

Sabertooth
Joe
Tings: 53310

Post by Sabertooth » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:21 am

Dart wrote:[Now this one I can explain easily. Steven Universe is a pretentious ugly little shit of a show that constantly panders to SJW/Tumblr culture with annoying narratives of how pathetic and unchallenged it's characters are. It's attempts to approach subjects like feminism and the LGBT community are ham-fisted and obnoxious at best; yes we get it, there are lesbians, does every critical moment in the show have to be about how the gems are either girls or lesbians? And what about Steven? He acts like a self-centered brat any chance he gets, and it's the most fucking irritating thing to see in a main character. Sure Mordecai and Rigby of Regular Show fame could often be dicks, but they were always punished for their actions unlike Steven, who is seemingly rewarded for being a little bitch. And why is there so much crying in this show, does that not annoy anyone else???
Yeah, I'm gonna disagree with this. It seems most people are under the impression that SU panders to the LGBT crowd, but it really doesn't, as most of its episodes are just about the characters doing normal sex-unrelated things. The latest arc had to do with rescuing Steven's dad from a space terrarium, no sexual stuff implied at all. Basically none of the best moments in the show have to do with lesbianism, not to mention you could argue the characters aren't even gay since they're genderless light visual manifestations of stones from outer space (though I will concede they're lesbians in spirit). Most of the show is sci-fi adventures with a character emphasis and there's barely even any romance. Hell, the most prominent couple on the show (Ruby and Sapphire) is barely even on the show because they spend most of their time fused as a completely different character!

As for Steven...the crying does annoy me but he's just an emotionally sensitive kid. That's his character and if it bothers you then that just sucks because I can't imagine him any other way. He's supposed to be pure and innocent to contrast with the villains of the show and the ideologies of the other gems. I can't remember any instances of selfishness so you've lost me there, but he almost always does what he does for the benefit of others and is very inclusive toward other people. I think he's incredibly likable, which makes the villains like Jasper look even more heinous in comparison.
BestXIII wrote:The knaarens are very big shitass! :grrrrrr:

nr0r
Oiseau Moqueur
Tings: 16858

Post by nr0r » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:52 am

Dart wrote:Now this one I can explain easily. Steven Universe is a pretentious ugly little shit of a show that constantly panders to SJW/Tumblr culture with annoying narratives of how pathetic and unchallenged it's characters are. It's attempts to approach subjects like feminism and the LGBT community are ham-fisted and obnoxious at best; yes we get it, there are lesbians, does every critical moment in the show have to be about how the gems are either girls or lesbians? And what about Steven? He acts like a self-centered brat any chance he gets, and it's the most fucking irritating thing to see in a main character. Sure Mordecai and Rigby of Regular Show fame could often be dicks, but they were always punished for their actions unlike Steven, who is seemingly rewarded for being a little bitch. And why is there so much crying in this show, does that not annoy anyone else???
Honestly, what do you expect from a show spawned by a Tumblr user? Yeah I agree it's an irritating show to watch and the fandom is dangerous beyond belief.

Tunderous wrote: How would we know if you have a husband? Your gender isnt shown. :mrgreen:
[1:02 AM] Chloë/Adsolution/Krawielicki?: lilith= if she took up any space shed be a waste of it

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:48 pm

So I came across this mashup: Not one I'd have expected, but very well done.

CHRdutch
Bzzit
Tings: 23280

Post by CHRdutch » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:07 pm

nr0r wrote:Honestly, what do you expect from a show spawned by a Tumblr user? Yeah I agree it's an irritating show to watch and the fandom is dangerous beyond belief.
Come to think of it, isn't almost every fandom a giant minefield? :?
YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/user/CHRdutch
Ambidextroid wrote:< was in such a rush < had no time for breakfast, so < took a fistful of corn flakes and stuffed them in <'s mouth, then poured milk over the top. It worked but it drizzled milk all over <'s front...
Record Day 2015 madness

Master
Rayman Origins

Post by Master » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:57 pm

Eh, everyone has their bad apples, long running fandoms in particular do tend to end up with some sense of factionalism. Be they between classic vs modern, shipping wars, changes in writer or creative lead. There's a lot that can cause fanbases to end up nurturing more obnoxious elements.

Still, I don't think a fandom should ever be the deciding factor behind giving a show, game etc. a shot.