Crash Bandicoot

Talk about everything but Rayman!

Moderator: English moderators

Ray502
Reflux
Tings: 106930

Re: Crash Bandicoot

Postby Ray502 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:44 pm

Hoping the special announcement will be a brand new Crash game. That or a remake of CTR which would be really cool too.

Rayman: Razorbeard's Vengeance

Rayman 2: The Alternate Side (Demo Available Now!)

FC: 37.699 | CF: 104.739 | BOM: 90.528 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 812.042

Bzzit
Bzzit
Tings: 24514

Postby Bzzit » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:13 am

I hope it's one of those a swell, but I've got a feeling it could be just a multi-platform announcement for the N. sane Trilogy.

Steam - Killer of Immersion
Youtube - Iain2k7

Rayfist
Rayman 2
Tings: 176505

Postby Rayfist » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:31 am

Oops I posted in the wrong thread earlier.

But this recent trailer definitely confirms Coco will be fully playable in the N sane Trilogy

0:56
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 403575

Postby Master » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:42 pm

Ayup, and here's some more of Coco:

According to some material, her playability in the first two titles is due to her hacking the Time Twister machine from Warped, and travelling back in time to help Crash on his first two adventures.

We've now got the intros for Crash 2 and 3:

Haruka
Rayman 2
Location: Earth: Occidental Lusitanian strand ; Glade of Dreams: Deep in the forests
Tings: 178730

Postby Haruka » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:53 pm

I already said this before but Vicarious Visions is doing a fantastic job with the animation. They did put a lot of effort with it, I can see that well in the third intro.
Waiting for a new 3D title since 2003... Until there, fallen in a long nap... Image

Ray502
Reflux

Postby Ray502 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Though I was expecting a more special announcement than Coco being fully playable in the three games. Oh well, it's still a cool new feature and I'm really excited for the final release!

FC: 37.699 | CF: 104.739 | BOM: 90.528 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Rayfist
Rayman 2

Postby Rayfist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Anyone else here feel like they might be showing off a bit too much? I'm looking at all the E3 footage and they've shown us a pretty good chunk of levels that I was hoping to be surprised by. Regardless I can say MOST of these look better than the original. However there are few levels that I really do question what the hell happened. The china themed level with coco being a prime example:

What exactly happened here? The level looks almost ridiculously bright and almost dull looking compared to the original:

Not trying to be nitpicky, I think majority of the game certainly looks better than the original, though I can't help but feel some of these appear rushed.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter

Master
Rayman Origins

Postby Master » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:17 pm

I was getting a similar vibe with the Tomb levels, the stone carvings and brickwork look a bit too smooth for my tastes. Granted, it's not like they're ancient history when you visit the locales, but I'd imagine there'd still be a little weathering.

Haruka
Rayman 2
Location: Earth: Occidental Lusitanian strand ; Glade of Dreams: Deep in the forests

Postby Haruka » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:56 pm

I think if the colours were more darkened it would be a bit more distracting but this could be me saying. I don't think it looks that bad, though I think it wouldn't have harmed much if they tried to invest more in the textures of the rocks, but I can also understand that they would be concerned in keeping a clean and polished look to match the cartoony treatment of the game.
Waiting for a new 3D title since 2003... Until there, fallen in a long nap... Image

Master
Rayman Origins

Postby Master » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:50 am

Huh, they're really pulling out the stops for this, they've brought back the old Crash Mascot adverts:

Haruka
Rayman 2

Postby Haruka » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:15 pm

A commercial for nostalgic NA 90s kids.

Ray502
Reflux

Postby Ray502 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:22 am

While I was thinking about a possible CTR remake in the future, I thought of the kart toy I have owned since I was a kid. :D

Sadly, I'll have to go searching since I don't know where mine is.

Master
Rayman Origins

Postby Master » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:23 am

Some folks have got the game early, so if you're not wanting to come across any gameplay footage, I'd be very wary browsing about for these last few days. I've already found footage of the whole Crash 1 final boss.

Ray502
Reflux

Postby Ray502 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:51 pm

Something along those lines, I stumbled upon the intro cutscene of N. Sane Trilogy yesterday.

Rayfist
Rayman 2

Postby Rayfist » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:57 pm

I like the few Crash fans I've seen that are being totally cynical and pretentious about the N sane Trilogy. Criticizing is fine, I'm always up for it, but I think a lot of it is getting to the point where people are more motivated by what their interpretation of the remake should have been rather than what Vicarious Visions chose to deliver. I'm not as concerned with what version looks better than what at this point, rather I'm just happy that Vicarious Visions delivered us a remake of the original three games that had a meaningful part in my childhood, from their own interpretation, rather than if they did it better than Naughty Dog or not.

Edit: off topic from this but it seems the running ability will be added to Crash 2, not too sure about Crash 1.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter

Master
Rayman Origins

Postby Master » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:34 am

I've seen the final bosses and then some from each game at this point, I think overall, Vicarious Visions has done a wonderful job. There are a few details I do find a bit disappointing, I kinda wish they stuck with the original Game Over screens, as opposed to using a rather watered down version of the Crash 3 Game Over. That being said, I did like the fact that they make Uka Uka's face shadowy for Crash 1 and 2's Game Overs, it's borderline Nightmare Fuel.

I've also heard some quibbles about the game's physics, though given how it's a remake of a 20 year old game, I wouldn't have been too surprised. Gameplay makes it seem pretty playable, so I guess it's just a matter of adjusting.

All things considered however, I think nitpicks are pretty much all that can be brought against the remakes, overall they look pretty solid.

Jaster
Poilu
Tings: 555

Postby Jaster » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:29 pm

I'm waiting impatiently for Friday, I just want to play a Crash game again, but I'm more "hyped" to see the sales of the games, I'm pretty sure it will do very well though.

I need to see our favourite marsupial in the high tops again :).

About the changes, I can see why many people can dislike some of them, but I don't mind, some might look more brilliant, but I think that's a good touch (depending of which levels). In general I love what VV has done with the remakes and all they have achieved with them.
However, I don't like what they did with the Gameovers, I would have preferred to have the original Game overs for each game, but as others said,
I liked what they did with the first 2 games' Gameovers putting Uka Uka with shadow so it's hard to see him.

Rayfist
Rayman 2

Postby Rayfist » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:36 pm

Here's my semi review so far for those contemplating if they should buy the N-Sane Trilogy.

I was definitely hyping this one up for a while, being a huge fan of the original Crash titles on the PS1, I was really excited yet also cautious to see how Vicarious Visions would handle fully remaking these classics. When we got the first footage I was quite pleased, the game looks very pixar-like almost (comparable to Ratchet and Clank PS4 remake if anything.) My only worry at this point wasn't so much from an aesthetic standpoint, but more so how the game controls and feels. The question is whether Vicarious Visions nailed the way the original Naughty Dog titles felt. After playing through 1 and 2 (and close to beating 3), the answer is yes.... sort of. There are a lot of weird quirks in regards to mechanics. I believe this trilogy's positives did outweigh its negatives, but for me it's more important to focus on the negatives to make Vicarious Visions aware.

Before I go into any of that I want to dive more deep into the games aesthetic itself, the new remade graphics look great. I've seen few people complain how the game "feels" less cartoony, but going for that generally pixar aesthetic seems like the perfect conversion for an older PS1 title. Strangely enough, I felt that Crash 1 benefits from this graphical upgrade the most effectively and noticeably. Perhaps this is due to the fact that Crash 1 from a graphical stand point has aged pretty poorly. But where as Crash 1 looks like an improvement in almost every way, 2 and 3 feels mostly the same, sometimes occasionally better, and sometimes flat out worse. There are very few areas in Crash 2 and 3 where I really questioned the art direction. For example, Warp Room 3 in Crash 2 completely lacks the vegetation it had in the original, and Coco's Tiger level in Crash 3 looks a little too bright. In terms of being faithful to the games original art style, I think they really nailed it with Crash 2 and 3 and perhaps that was more what they were going for. Needless to say Vicarious Visions did a fairly good job retaining what made these games so pleasing and comforting to look at. The remade cutscenes are real eye candy too, while Cortex and the other villains aren't as menacing as they were in the original, the characters are so overly expressive and I always really enjoy watching them.

Now I think what people are most curious about are how the games "feel." The original Crash Bandicoot games were known for having really tight controls. This happens to be where the Crash 1 remake suffers the most. Because this game was sold as one complete trilogy, Crash's movement is the same through out all 3 games, rather than being optimized for one game over the other. Because of this, Crash's physics (which are more built around Crash 2 and 3) feel awkward and clunky with Crash 1. After doing a bit of research, it seems I was right, Crash's jumping animation and how long he's airborne in Crash 1 is a lot shorter than the original, combine this with the fact that Crash will be pushed off ledges upon landing due to the games habit of shoving Crash off of tight platforms, something that didn't happen in the original. This makes levels that require pinpoint platforming to be even HARDER than it was in the original, levels like Road to Nowhere or High Road (god bless you if you're actually going to attempt the time trial with either of these), can be made super difficult. Considering the fact Crash 1's level design consists mostly of enemy placement and boxes for its level design, this is an issue that I do believe Vicarious Visions should patch. It was a very smart idea for Vicarious Visions to exclude the "no death" rule from the original Crash for 100% completion (this doesn't include the colored gem levels.) Regardless of this Crash 1 was still a good time, sometimes I feel like it's a bit underrated as well compared to 2 and 3. Sure, you lack a slide or any of the later crazy moves, but the levels have a very traditional feel to them. The added time trials are a nice addition too, but again, you're certainly gonna struggle with them a lot given how difficult Crash 1's levels are to do in one run, and the issue is only worsened by the small errors that Vicarious Visions left in.

I then reached Crash Bandicoot 2, which was my favorite of the trilogy (I kind of liked that little detail they added in Crash 1's ending that has foreshadowing to Crash 2.) After watching the really wonderfully remade intro cutscene, I began to test out the new mechanics that Crash 2 introduced. The first thing that really threw me off was Crash's animation transition from sliding/crouching to walking. Because the slide and crouch are mapped to the same button, Crash does a transition when he gets up from crouching to go back into walking. The game has this very strange full second delay when Crash transitions from the crouch into his walking animation, this can be a real pace breaker for the time trials, unless you follow up with a slide spin (a common speedrun strategy for the Crash 2.) I'm not fully sure why Vicarious Visions designed it that way though it certainly isn't a game breaking issue since you can just use the slide spin to keep your momentum going, however it is unnecessary. This brings me to the crouch jump, while I rarely found myself using this for the entirety of Crash 2 (slide jump usually gets the job done), the crouch jump itself feels very inconsistent. In the original PS1 title, you simply had to do the crouch followed by an immediate jump. In the N-Sane Trilogy, you need to wait for Crash's animation to finish with the crouch in order to follow up with a jump. In the original you could simply transition mid-animation from the crouch into the jump, but this no longer works... at least some times. I found that if you hold down the crouch button and follow it up with a jump, it seems to have a 90% working rate, yet at the same time it just feels inconsistent, and it definitely could be better. Regardless of the issues I've mentioned above Crash 2 is still a very nicely controlling game. However this brings me to my last point regarding Crash 2, and quite possibly the worst one, the ice physics. Out of all the 3 games in the trilogy, this has to be my biggest gripe. If you hated the ice physics in the original you're going to hate them even more here. The ice physics somehow feel MORE heavy than they were in the original, steering is completely impossible, and you'll need to take full advantage of the slide (which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't) in order to traverse the ice platforms. This makes levels like Cold Hard Crash even more difficult than they were originally and doing simple jumps extremely difficult. Vicarious Visions really dropped the ball with the ice physics and because of this my Crash 2 experience out of all the three games on here was hindered the most. Time trials here were actually surprisingly more difficult to do than Crash 1 if you're going for a gold or above. The added run ability from Crash 3 (a very nice addition, thanks for that Vicarious Visions) doesn't exactly make these any easier, and some of the levels are much longer than I remembered.

And lastly we reach Crash 3 (Warped.) This one I was expecting to have the most technical issues due to all the vehicle levels that were added in this game. The only vehicle levels that were really affected by this were Coco's jetski levels, where the controls feel much worse than the original. In the original, Naughty Dog made these levels surprisingly easy to control, no problems in regards to steering. Simply having to steer left or right feels very slippery, which makes time trials an absolute pain where you need to grab some of the time-freeze boxes while simultaneously having to keep up your momentum. What was made even worse though are the ramp jumps. In the original title, whenever you hit a ramp the game would 'snap' you to the center to make sure you grab the boxes ahead of you. In the remake, you now have to be a lot more precise with this as the ramp no longer shoots you off from the center. This made coco's levels (which I enjoyed a lot on the original game) a lot less fun and some of my least favorite levels in Crash 3. Surprisingly though, I think Vicarious Visions did a decent job at the other vehicle levels such as the motorcycle ones (mostly feel the same from the original) and the airplane levels which control arguably better than the original. In regards to platforming stages though it's exactly what you expected, pretty much Crash 2.5. No issues here with the added abilities, they all control super well and are just as fun to use as they were in the original. Funny enough, Crash 3 is actually the most fun I have with the time trials, perhaps due to the fact the game gives you so many abilities that practically break any type of challenge the game offers (once you get the double jump and super spin, you can practically bypass any obstacle), and the game generally just being designed around them.

I really do like what I've seen here so far, but the mechanics absolutely need some patches, they really hinder the experience for Crash veterans and new players alike. I've still had a lot of fun with the N-Sane Trilogy (I think I have over 30 hours thus far.) Although if Vicarious Visions were to patch these glaring issues, it could easily be the most definitive way to play these three titles. Regardless I think Vicarious Visions still did a great job at making these games fun to play and retain what made the original games so fun. It's actually very surprising how serious Vicarious Visions were with keeping some of the speedrun-type strategies in. I could definitely recommend this game to PS4 owners, though Crash veterans beware, some of the mechanics you enjoyed so much from the original might be hindered and you'll have to adjust to the N-Sane trilogy's new mechanics and quirks. Otherwise you're getting a near faithful experience. If I were to give a rating, possibly an 8/10.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter

Bzzit
Bzzit
Tings: 24514

Postby Bzzit » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:21 pm

I agree about the mechanics - I died in so many places I would never have in the originals, due to the discrepancies int the mechanics. i found some of the hitboxes were bullshit compared to the originals, especially noticeable in Crash 2 within some of the more intense secret areas.

I also found a few of the animal riding and vehicle sections to be worse, most notably the Pura/Polar and scuba diving segments felt worse for me.

A more minor gripe, but I noticed some missing animations in Crash 2 - Crash no longer does that forward roll as a result of the boulder colliding with the tunnels in the chase levels, and in the ruin levels he doesn't do that awkward balancing animation on the rotating platforms.

I still mostly enjoyed my time with the trilogy (so far I've beat 2 and 3, working on 1) but don't feel like getting 100% due to the gripes I have with the controls.

I'd defintley like to see VV handle a brand new Crash game, but they would need to tweak the mechanics in some areas. They've proven themselves to be mostly competent though, in my opinion.

Steam - Killer of Immersion
Youtube - Iain2k7

Rayfist
Rayman 2

Postby Rayfist » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:44 pm

If you've 100%ed the original titles on PS1, I implore you to do the same here, despite the control issues they're fairly easy Platinum trophies despite some annoying time trial levels from Crash 1.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter

Return to “Off Topic”