Doctor Who

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Master »

In honesty, I think Moffat's Xmas specials seem to be a bit on/off, I wasn't fond of Last Christmas in general though, hopefully Series 9 will pick up the slack. Rumours are saying that there'll be more two-parters this time.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone
Tings: 67030

Post by Shrooblord »

Yeah. I thought the Scrooge one was brilliant, with the girl trapped in the stasis chamber. The Christmas Star was also good, with Catherine Tate? The others I can't even quite remember. They may not have been very good.
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~! (Or here.)
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Well, we've had:
The Christmas Invasion - Post-regeneration episode for 10
The Runaway Bride - With the aforementioned star and Catherine Tate
Voyage of the Damned - The one with the Titanic, in Space.
The Next Doctor - The one with the Steampunk Cyberking
The End of Time - He didn't want to go
A Christmas Carol - Featuring Dumbledore! (I personally think this is Moffat's best Xmas special)
The Doctor, The Widow, and the Wardrobe - The one set in a living forest, or something (I didn't like this one)
The Snowmen - Featuring the Paternoster Gang, and Gandalf!
The Time of the Doctor - I will always remember when the Doctor was he...
Last Christmas - Featuring Gangsta Santa, and Strax as an elf
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

How could I forget Voyage of the Damned and The Next Doctor! Those were some prime specials. A Christmas Carol is the Scrooge one where he goes back in time to an old man's past to charm the little kid (which I talked about previously)?
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Yup, that old man was Dumbledore, he goes into his past to make him a better man.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

Ah, your favourite as well as mine.
I like how Christmas episodes usually don't include the companions - it's a nice break without spelling the end of their acting together with the Doctor.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Well, not entirely. "Runaway Bride," "Voyage of the Damned," "Next Doctor," "End of Time," and "The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe," feature a guest character as the main companion.

Meanwhile, "The Christmas Invasion," "The Snowmen," "The Time of the Doctor" and "Last Christmas," still prominently feature the main companion. "A Christmas Carol" focuses more on The Doctor and the old man, but Amy and Rory are still very much present and active throughout the plot, so make of it what you will.

It's almost half-half really.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

Mkay well my memory fails me. I did remember Amy and Rory in A Christmas Carol but didn't count them in there because they weren't in it as much. But I guess you're right in their presence being important to the plot. But it felt to me like they were shooed off a little bit in that episode. No matter.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

They were in a vehicle that was going to crash and burn due to the weather system being controlled by the old man. The Doctor went in changing his past so he'd gain the compassion to disable it and allow the vehicle to be safe.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

Yes. I recall. But they had like intermittent passages where they'd basically be shut up before cutting back to whatever the Doctor was doing. It was sort of like they had to be there just to be there. They could just as easily have been unknown extras, but they happened to be Amy and Rory.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Hmm, fair point. Though if we're going by technicalities, the title sequence does give them the usual credit, as opposed to having the guest credits come up instead.
Speaking of which, am I the only one who was a bit unimpressed with the title sequence for the Xmas special? The theme is really getting out of sync, and Nick Frost's name shouldn't come have come on after the titles.
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

I didn't notice it that much, but I was too hyped to finally see some DW again so I probably wouldn't have seen a lot of things. :mryellow:
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

I see. The thing about Series 8's title sequence is that while it started off good, they couldn't make up their mind about a few things. They kept changing the sting, for instance. And what annoyed me in particular was how the theme tune was beginning to get out of sync with the sequence itself as the episodes rolled on. If you watch "Death in Heaven," you'll notice the "ooo-wee-ooo" starts before the clock spiral has begun to unwind, compare that to "Deep Breath," where it synced up with the unwinding.
Imco
Aline Louïa
Tings: 123540

Post by Imco »

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but I forgot what you guys answered :lol:

Anyway, as I've got quite a bit of spare time these days, due to exams being over and me gradually preparing for my Uni days, I thought it'd be a good time to commence watching Doctor Who.
Now, my question to you guys is, where to start? Which season, which episode? And don't tell my I should start from the very beginning, since I simply don't have the time for that, and I'm not willing either :P
Event-Bot wrote:I'm here.
Thanks for creating me popa. :coeur:
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Hmm, I'd be tempted to recommend you start with Series 8, given as it's new regeneration. But it does deal with one or two plot threads from previous series, so, I dunno. I think Series 5 might be useful, since it was a new era for Doctor Who with a change in management and Doctor, so it's probably the freshest start you can get without heading right back to Series 1.
spiraldoor
Oumbr
Tings: 156595

Post by spiraldoor »

Deep Breath deals too heavily with the fallout of the latest regeneration and the end of the previous era to work very well as a starting point. Madama Vastra, Jenny, Strax and the t-rex could all be offputtingly weird for a beginner too. The best starting point by far is The Eleventh Hour, which is a bold new start that showcases the best features of the upcoming era while briefly acknowledging what's gone before (as well as being a 10/10 episode in itself).

I definitely wouldn't start anyone with Rose. All four of Davies's series veer wildly between excellent and embarrassingly terrible.
Imco
Aline Louïa

Post by Imco »

I'll start with season 5 then! Thanks guys!
Edit: I think I'll catch up with the first four seasons later though, once I've watched season 5 - 8
Shrooblord
Mr Stone

Post by Shrooblord »

Billie Piper got a hell of a lot better though in the 50th Anniversary episode. I was mightily impressed with her acting improvements.

I checked the BBC site lately and didn't find any airing dates for the next season; anyone got any clues from elsewhere?
Imco
Aline Louïa

Post by Imco »

No actual date, but I believe it's bound to start this fall.
I just started season 1 btw, after seeing season 5 till 8 together with the Christmas specials belonging to those seasons
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

EDIT:

September 19th it is!