Official Nintendo Topic

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.

On a scale of 1-5, how much do you want the Nintendo Switch?

5 - Nintendo's already taken/about to take my money!
51%
22%
3 - I'm on the fence
14%
11%
1 - RUINED FOREVER
3%

Total votes: 37

Rayfist
Sandra Misu
Tings: 176605

Re: Official Nintendo Topic

Post by Rayfist »

Although I'd really like to get DOOM on Switch for the portability, some things are a tad iffy to me. Such issues as the online being a completely separate download, and snapmap- a level editor for the game, is completely omitted from the Switch version. Such features being cut is my biggest worry for third party on Switch. I might be a bit more okay with this if the game wasn't fully priced for $60, purely for the novelty of having a handheld DOOM.
Keane wrote:Mario Party looks like the laziest thing I've ever seen in my life, would it really have been so hard continue with the retro theme by adding the retro boards as well? And it being a 3DS game is just like, banus...
There's still quite a huge market for the 3DS so I don't have much issue with games still being developed for it (although we've already had 2 previous Mario Party titles on the handheld so this is getting redundant a bit.)

Also that new Kirby game reminds me an awful lot of Power Stone.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Imco wrote:+ I just beat the hell out of my sister. That was great :D
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

Post by Keane »

The 3DS games never really felt like "parties" to me as they're more geared towards having 25 minutes to kill with a friend on a bus ride than it is about the kind of drawn out, night-filling experience of the original games.

I guess from that perspective it actually makes sense to keep it to minigames and put all the best ones together, but at this point it feels like Party series is somewhere up there with the Mario VS. Donkey Kong games - an unknown realm of Mario brothering that no one dips their toes in but the games just keep coming. And also they fucking suck.
Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

There's a potential tribute to Satoru Iwata in the Switch. It's a rather simple but touching tribute if it's the case. A hidden charm for his final console.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

Rayfist wrote:I wouldn't get too overly optimistic though if I were you. We've seen this time and time again with Nintendo. With amiibos, with the standalone Switch's, and the NES classic/SNES classic situation. Yes they say they'll restock, but by how much? Are they just gonna increase the stock they initially had for every store by 5? I don't know- not to sound like a pessimist but I can't imagine it will be any easier than it was before. I got really lucky because I accidentally stumbled upon the NES classic at my store and was able to conveniently purchase it there.
When the Mini NES was out in Europe I still managed to touch the boxes in three different days (and it was always between 3 to 10 units in stock) but I wasn't quite able back then to afford them (Far from dreaming what would happen next). After what happened I really really regretted. So if I managed to find few units in the start I don't want to lose hope and believe I can find a Mini NES somewhere once they return.

Now the problem repeats with the boxed editions of Gold and Silver in Europe. My country, from some discriminatory reason, won't receive these and everywhere I look in UK sites they are either sold out or dominated by scalpers. It boils my blood the fact Nintendo simply can't fulfil demand and find solutions for this problem which are scalpers. In the British Nintendo Online Store they were limiting a unit per client but still... Sold out. Are they producing 1000 boxes per 10000 or what? :pfff:
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 453317

Post by Hoodcom »

The only reason I jumped for the SNES Classic is for Starfox 2. :lol:

Even then, I had to get that with a bundle, since pre-ordering one by normal means was quite difficult as it is.
Rayfist
Sandra Misu

Post by Rayfist »

I wasn't even able to find any stores which offered the latter, where did you go to find those pre orders exactly? Luckily one member is helping me obtain the European version- SNES mini, so that'l do.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Eren
El Stomacho
Tings: 24258

Post by Eren »

For my birthday I got Zelda BOTW and I finally finished it, holy fucking shit this game was a blast! :shock: This has got to be my favorite zelda game after Majora's Mask, everything in the game was done perfectly, from cooking to having battles on horses.
I also never expected Ganon to be so menacing in this game :shock: a fucking giant ass spider with swords in every hand
SIG UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Image Image
Steam Profile Youtube Account
Rayfist
Sandra Misu

Post by Rayfist »

Had a friend hook me up with the SNES classic, just hooked it up and played around with it a bit.

This just absolutely shits on virtual console that was included through all of the previous Nintendo consoles. $80 might seem a bit steep for only a mere selection of 21 games, but the games that are included on here have aged like fine wine (with the exception of Star Fox 1 and 2.) These are some absolute masterpieces they included and the emulation is excellent. The games all look super crisp and have no input delay what so ever. I can see why these are so high in demand amongst the retro community, it's more than just a novelty for retro collectors who own physical carts for these games, it's also super convenient and doesn't take away from the "authentic" feeling of playing on an original SNES, despite being emulation. Those who keep telling others to just buy a Raspberry PI as an alternative to the SNES classic need to shut the fuck up. Yes, the raspberry PI is able to emulate all of these easily, but there are many factors as to why people prefer the SNES classic. It has a snappy user interface, incredible emulation, and extremely accurate controllers. The Raspberry Pi lacks all of these. It's like asking why I'd rather eat out for fine dining as opposed to making something at home- you're paying for an incredibly high end yet affordable experience. For those who are lucky enough to stumble upon it by some accident, grab it, don't even have second thoughts about it. If you've been looking to play through some of the games that have been the foundation for excellent game design incorporated into many of the games we see today, pick it up.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

This morning I found two shops that had Mini SNES: one had 2 and other had around 8. If I really could afford I would have taken a copy but I can't. Maybe I have luck later even though it is a risk.
VetoMadness
Lums Rouge
Tings: 55

Post by VetoMadness »

I really should get my hands on a Nintendo console again. The last one I bought was the Wii. Games such as 3D World and the upcoming Mario Oddysey have been in my mind since I first heard of 'em. The only real thing preventing me from doing so is money :/
Rayfist
Sandra Misu

Post by Rayfist »

Odyssey comes out today, I'll be picking it up in a few hours, for those that do have it how are you enjoying it thus far? Does it stack up to the other giants like 64 and Sunshine?
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

If reviews are anything to go by, it's a masterpiece.

Definitely another draw, I think, when I do hopefully acquire a Switch.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

I don't trust the perfect reviews at all. The same thing happened with Breath of the Wild, and pretty much everyone agrees now it's far from perfect. To me, these seem a lot more objective:

1) http://play.co.rs/2017/10/review-super- ... h-version/

2) I'm predicting the following: I'll thoroughly enjoy it to some degree, but will find a lot of the challenges will be monotonous and too easy, probably landing somewhere between a 7.5 - 8.5. I'm not parroting less-positive reviews, I've felt this way ever since seeing the first 30 minutes of gameplay back at E3.

But, lessee in six hours from now when I have a chance to buy and boot it up.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Ah, fair point. I'll check those out too, then.
Pirez
Globox
Tings: 98075

Post by Pirez »

You forgot this one :
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

ah yes, I'm up to date on that one lol

Anyways, having played it for the last 7-8 hours straight, my presumptions were wrong. This game is incerdibly fun and immersive. Previously, the original Jak and Daxter was the only collectathon I'd played that I thought absolutely nailed the formula (and I didn't play it until a year or two ago), but Odyssey takes the cake here and does it better than I ever could have imagined, for every last bit I've seen of it so far. It's just funny that it took until 2017 for that to happen when the genre's golden age was twenty years ago.

The main story missions are extremely easy, yes, but they don't even scratch the surface. It's amazing how much content they've packed into every kingdom, and contrary to what I was expecting, out of the 100-ish moons I've collected so far, not a single one was boring or unsatisfying to me. Sure, some are pretty out in the open and simple to reach, but they're always placed in such a way that you'd immediately think "oh yeah, it'd be fun to do that", not least of all because Mario's so fun to control, and every opportunity you get to utilise his mechanics is a treat.

The difficulty is as perfect as I could imagine it being, with every moon (that isn't in the open, but even then...) having a very appropriate level of challenge to it with design choices that feel intuitive, flexible and never annoying. Even ones that seem like they would be overly cryptic you end up figuring out by what often feels like a stroke of genius, putting two and two together. It subtly feeds you the right information which, coupled with a tiny bit of creativity, will lead you to your goal, even if you don't know what you're looking for in the first place.

That's great game design.

Funnily, I was originally playing the game with the separated joycons like it recommends, but my hands are so fucking big that I couldn't ever get a hold of them properly - every time I went to turn the camera it'd almost slide out of my hand, and I'd have do this weird crampy maneuver to shuffle it back into place. I initially thought the joysticks were just inaccurate and Mario was a bit jerky, but as soon as I slid them into the grip, it was like a weight off my shoulders and he controlled pretty much perfectly. I won't say absolutely perfect, since there are a couple really minor things, but they're really minor. The only thing that's harder to do with them in the grip is the spiral hat throw, since you have to kind of awkwardly jerk the whole controller sideways rather than just flick your wrists, but I'd definitely recommend playing it like this if you also have 26cm-wide hands. :mryellow: I'd advise it over the pro controller, since the pro controller's motion detection seems to be a lot more basic and can't recognise upward and downward flicks (which are still easy to do with the joycon grip), and are pretty useful, especially for jumping over enemies and tossing your hat straight down onto them.

It's chilling at a 9 - 9.5 for me so far, and that's a pretty massive deal to me, since I have a hard time "getting into" games nowadays (which has nothing to do with the games industry, I just have other things on my mind).
Keane
André
Tings: 222528

Post by Keane »

I didn't 1-2 get into it but by the time I made it to the Sand and Wooded kingdoms the game began to really click with me, especially now that I'm done just kinda checking out the levels and focusing on tracking down all the moons I'm impressed by how consistently incentivised I feel exploring around levels and grabbing every collectable, that's exactly what I wanted out of a new 3D Mayro and it's done maybe even more extensively than I would've been happy with.

I also feel that now that I'm playing it the art direction makes a lot more sense to the me that it did watching videos. That overview of the New Donk where the Odyssey lands always looked kind of gross to me but actually playing it I think it looks very pretty (house/garden), especially at night time. In general I think the levels look gorgeous, they have the same kind of magic to them that a Mario 64 skybox or Gelato Beach elicits.

Cappy is also very, very fbebry fun like really cool companion, please but cappy in every mario game now? and razorbeard too, i have a suspicion at the end of the game mario will fall over a goomba/chain chomp and fall down onto spear, pierced through back and dies. progressor e gadd makes mechario, robot mario recreation and cappy takes on razorbeard form and then its like yous ee mechario fly away on bowsers flaoting ship and your realise prequel to rayman 2. also the gamecube menu is floating in space above the ship to further connect all video game universe togehter, wayne coyne
Burgers float into my room...
Adsolution wrote:muse - showbiz (super mario sunshiner mario falling sound cover ending)
Rayfist
Sandra Misu

Post by Rayfist »

Adsolution took a lot of the words out of my mouth but I'll weigh in a bit here too.

I really am impressed with the result, the absolute sheer excitement I have visiting a new Kingdom and stumbling across something new is an experience I haven't felt this enthusiastic for since Galaxy. The trailers and gameplay clips don't even cover a quarter of what these kingdoms offer in terms of variety. The cap possession mechanic not once ever felt forced or tacked on, it coincides with the normal gameplay very well and adds a new layer to it. Seaside Kingdom is one I really wanted to talk about. It truly is no coincidence, the octopi that can maneuver around squirting water feel an awful lot like Fludd, and there are moments where you need to clean lava using them, this kingdom feels very similar to Sunshine and I really like the way the game handled doing that in a more subtle way as opposed to just putting Isle Delfino in there (though the latter would have been nice.)

The game always managed to surprise me, Odyssey does a lot of things that are very unlike Mario. When entering seaside kingdom I was sort of expecting generic tropical beach music that we've heard time and time again with Mario titles, but it ended up being way more comfy than I had thought it would be. Even after spoiling myself with few of the parts in the game, these moments still managed to feel new when actually experiencing myself.

Also the movement feels great, this is arguably the best Mario has ever controlled in 3D, ever. All that cool shit you could do in Sunshine is made even better here with cappy. Being able to hop off cappy to have an extra extended jump feels incredibly satisfying, and I think it will really bring something to the speedrunning community.
Adsolution wrote:The main story missions are extremely easy, yes, but they don't even scratch the surface. It's amazing how much content they've packed into every kingdom, and contrary to what I was expecting, out of the 100-ish moons I've collected so far, not a single one was boring or unsatisfying to me. Sure, some are pretty out in the open and simple to reach, but they're always placed in such a way that you'd immediately think "oh yeah, it'd be fun to do that", not least of all because Mario's so fun to control, and every opportunity you get to utilise his mechanics is a treat.
Absolutely. I'm already seeing criticisms that "the game is too easy" when that really isn't the point. The difficulty is made fair and equal for those who would rather explore at their leisure and try to find all the secrets as opposed to those who would like to explore all the planets faster and revisit. Whenever I finished main story missions for various Kingdoms, I always wanted to stay to gather even more moons and purple coins. I think the challenge of Odyssey comes from finding all those little secrets, rather than the gameplay itself. Although I can say the volleyball moon can go fuck itself. Regardless, majority of the moons are all really fun to collect. I know I've heard the critique that moons are handed out way too gracefully but I actually love this. Collecting moons, even for the more trivial/miniscule tasks is something that became quite addicting very fast in a way the korok seeds failed to do for me.
Steam PSN Youtube
Follow me on Twitter
outofideasformyname
Lums Violet
Tings: 140

Post by outofideasformyname »

I really hope that there's another 3D world style game that takes steps from Mario Odyssey.
Pirez
Globox
Tings: 98075

Post by Pirez »

I'm just gonna say it : the main game is too easy... and thus it's the perfect game for me right now.

Mario games being easy is not a bad thing, on the contrary. It is a brand and a character suited for all the family, thus for little kids who have the same right to videogame as we all have.

We grew up with hard as shit Mario 1 and we (used very generally here) are probably more suited to tackle harder games because of it, but the vastness of what Odyssey offers cannot compare to Mario 1, and it would be sad to see anyone lacking this kind of content because they have to git gud.

On the other side of the coin we have yours truly, who started his boring ass job today with 3 hours of driving. When I come home, I have a nice little game that is easy enough so I can relax. And I absolutely love it.

(Sorry if this makes no sense at all, I'm so fucking tired you guys...)