General Ark Survival Evolved Thread

For everything not related to either Rayman or Pirate-Community.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Indy
Crapaud blindé
Location: Echoing Caves and my work department in a corner of my house.
Tings: 15801

General Ark Survival Evolved Thread

Post by Indy »

Ark Survival Evolved. Developed by WildCard studios, Instinct games, Efecto Studios, and Virtual Basement.

WildCard released Ark Survival Evolved in early access on May 11th 2015, the full version as well as the physical, mobile, and console versions of Ark were released in August 2017. The Nintendo Switch port was released in November 2018. (Many consider this to be the worst port ever)

Ark Survival Evolved is a game where you survive in a artificial ecosystem filled with pre-historic creatures from the late Triassic to post-Ice Age. You wake up on a island with a foreign implant on your arm. You have no clue where you are or why there are Dodos in your surroundings.

Ark's history:
When games become available as early access, we would see noticable changes from minor visual tweaks to changes of gameplay, as well as how players behave on Official.

Before the Patches and storymode updates, players assumed it was a casual PVP beat-em-up during the reign of prehistoric creatures with three strange colossal structures floating in the sky - With their purpose still unknown at the time, some people believed they're just there for the aesthetic.

To take advantage of the "dinosaur fever" at the time, The game was released shortly before the theatrical release of Jurassic World. When it [Jurassic World] started rolling, both JP fans and Ark players mutually consumed one media after another. And both medias received good sales in tickets and copies alike.

JP fans get to play a game where they can tame and ride dinosaurs, and Ark players get to see a cool dinosaurs movie that is the rumored "Jurassic Park 4".

The story:
Besides the Island intro, I won't spoil the entire story or the game's lore, but there are explorer notes that are scattered throught out the following maps: The Island, Scorched Earth, Aberration, Extinction, and Genesis Part 1. Each written record is accounted by a author sharing their experiences on the Ark and with it's local population.

There are YouTube videos that narrow down the key points of what is going and how there are so many predatory animals and yet so few prey items, and why dinosaurs and other extinct creatures are back from the grave.

And at this time, I won't link the videos here until Genesis part 2 is released. I implore you to go look for the Explorer notes yourself if you got the game. Or, if you're into the Arkdom, you don't have or play the game but still like a good story nonetheless - Then you can look up "Ark Survival Evolved story" on YouTube or the official Ark Wiki. (<- It's a thing that exists, but please be warned that it's a major spoiler zone. Look it up at your own risk.)

The dinosaurs:
The major selling point in Ark. DINOSAURS.
Major inaccuracies aside, some animals in the game serve a purpose once domesticated.

Note: There are other animals that can be utilized for either grinding or taming. These are only the prime examples.

The early-game tame, the Parasaur:
Parasaurs scan the area (right mouse click) to warn you about nearby enemies and can scare off creatures smaller than them. (C button)

They can harvest berries, thatch, and seeds decently. Parasaurs can also be used to detect pheonix ashes after the superheat event on the Scorched Earth map.

Parasaurs are skittich dinos, they'll flee when you attack them. Their signal will alarm nearby parasaurs to do the same and avoid getting caught.

The Therizinosaurus:
Commonly nicknamed as the "murder chicken" (they actually do have the face of a chicken but got teeth and sharp claws), they can gather wood at a significently good rate. (Left mouse click)

Before taming one, beware that they're the Cretaceous feathered equivalent of Jack the Ripper; They'll cut you up in ribbons if you're not quick enough to escape.

The Daeodon. AKA, the Warthog from Hell:
The Daeodon has the ability to heal it´s rider and allied/tamed dinos.
They can be utilized during boss battles or hunting parties.
In the wild, they're rarely alone. These porkers can sneak up on you if you let your guard down.

And my personal favorite, the feathered tyrant; Yutyrannus.
Also a boss dino. It has the fear roar (right mouse click) to scare off smaller creatures. It can also frighten enemy and wild Yutis.

And it has the courage roar (C button). With this, you can temporarily tame wild Carnotaurs for a short period of time. Once they're allied, they'll do your bidding until the timer runs out.

Courage roaring your tamed dinos gives them a courage buff which increases damage and resistance.

(I'm honestly surprised that WC added a fully-feathered Tyrannosaurid that serves a dual purpose in the game. And yes, the Yuti and T-Rex are related. I'm not making that up. Usually videogames with dinosaurs feature dinos that share the same likeness as the ones from Jurassic Park. Featherless and painfully-looking inaccurate postures.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From early access to Genesis Part 2, here are some embedded YouTube links to the official Ark:SE DLCs and expansion pack trailers.

The Island (base game)
2015 (early acces release)

2016 - The Center map trailer (first official DLC)

2016 - Scorched Earth (First canonical story map DLC)

2017 (Official launch)

2017 Ragnarok (second official free non-story DLC)

2017 - Aberration (Second story map DLC)

2018 - Extinction (Third story map DLC)

2019 - Valguero (Third free non-story DLC)

2020 - Genesis Part 1 (Fourth story map DLC)

2021 - Genesis Part 2 (Fifth and FINAL story map DLC)

2021 - Lost Island (Fourth free non-story DLC)
Currently only featuring the creatures that's exclusive to the map

Man, sometimes I wish I had discovered Ark sooner.
Despite the major flaws the game suffers from, there's always a reason for me as a Ark player/enjoyer to come back to the game: The community, and certain aspects to the gameplay. For me it's building and breeding.
Last edited by Indy on Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: Toxic_Dragon_96
Twitter: DeltaVelocity
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Re: General Ark Survival Evolved Thread

Post by Hunchman801 »

Thanks the detailed presentation, the game looks pretty cool! Hope to give it a try one day, even though I already have so much on my list. :lol:
Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

Hunchman801 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:45 pm Thanks the detailed presentation, the game looks pretty cool! Hope to give it a try one day, even though I already have so much on my list. :lol:
I can relate about the list, but here's something I need to address regarding Ark: It's not optimized properly upon final release. It gets buggy, glitchy, and you might get stuck in the meshing.

It costs around 50-60 bucks, get it for cheap during seasonal sales. That much for a broken and glitchy game is beyond me.
Ark already doesn't hold people's hands, but the state that it was released in is insane. The game functions 50% of the time, and crashes are random. On Official servers they're rampant. Especially during themed events.
Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

Bump 5/9/2021: OP will be edited now that WildCard enabled incoming server transfers on Genesis Part 2 servers. (Incoming server transfers, as in; We can take items/tames to Gen2 on Official) I meant to do this sooner, and I would have left a note in the OP, but I left it as it is. Be prepared for a spoilerfest, and a compilation of trailers and Species spotlights to catch up, or to get a broader understanding of the game's premise.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Do you mean that there used to be two incompatible types of servers?
Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

hoodlumsworld wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:00 am Do you mean that there used to be two incompatible types of servers?
No, Genesis Part 1 and Genesis Part 2 are two different maps.
When a new Ark DLC map is officially released, be it a free or paid one, when the official server hits 2K or 3K in-game days, incoming item transfers will be enabled.
This is to ensure that players won't break the game early.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

I see, thanks for the explanation.
Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

UPDATE: OP has been updated. Links to trailers of DLCs that have been released are added.

Final warning: The story maps contain spoilers if you haven't reached mid-game on the Island yet.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Thanks for the update Indy! Lots of new stuff.
Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

UPDATE: The Lost Island free DLC dropped on December 14th. OP will be updated again as I had also overlooked Crystal Isles. Another free Ark map that came out last year.

I hope you all had a lovely weekend, and I'll catch you guys on the flip side. :mryellow:
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Enjoy the new maps!
Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

Random Ark fact of the day!

Scorched Earth, Ark's first canon story map expansion pack to be released in 2016, sparked controversy as it's rolled out before the base game is even finished.
The reason WildCard studios decided to release Scorched is a doozy.

Scorched was a cash grabbing attempt to cover from a lawsuit. This video explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hJzven8pzU

I already mentioned to Hunch that Ark is poorly optimized, framerate is choppy if there's a lot of going on on-screen or players spam a map with obstructing structures.
If a paid DLC is pushed out THIS early in development, you'll face issues along the way.
Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

BUMP: 18-1-2023

Oh man...

I really need to update the masterpost.

But first...

Since last week there's a creature vote.
People can submit and/or vote for a creature they want to be added in the game. In 2021 when the Lost Island map free map was announced, a "contest" was held for two creatures to be added to the map. The winners were Sinomacrops and Dinopithecus. Before the final round was wrapped up, Carcharodontosaurus was in the lead until some madlads rallied up and threw dung at the dino (metaphorically speaking), and voted for the big ape.

So, in a nutshell: Giganotosaurus 2.0 lost to a psycho Baboon with explosive diarrhea. BY ONE UPVOTE.

Next creature vote rolls up, map Fjordur was coming up the following year of 2022. This time Carcharodontosaurus won.
And, I'm one of the people who was salty the Cow lost to Carchar. But at least the Carchar would be added to ALL maps where Gigas spawn.

So, I'm asking a favor from whomever is reading this: Creature Submissions is a big deal.
https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/fo ... ge-cattle/

I want the Ice Age Bison to win this time. It's 3rd place currently below Bastion Beetle, followed by Gorgonopsid. This creature was supposed to be added to the game before it's final release, but WC had no ideas for it.

And if you've got time, could you also vote for Pontolis?
https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/fo ... nt-3364724
The Pontolis is a giant ancient walrus from the Miocene-Pliocene that lived on Californian and Oregon coastlines. There's a possible debate of what it's true size is, or if the current remains found were of juveniles. But it's safe to say that the modern-day Walruses and Seals are the nerfed versions of it.

I voted for Pontolis in support of the person who made and submitted the fan dossier. (They play on the same server as me! And they're cool beans)

Oh yeah, the Bison fandossier and descriptions in the first link already explains why I want it. Plus, the only cow Ark currently has, the Chalicotherium, throws POOP.
It's PVP based, which makes it rather useless in PVE.

If the Bison ends up losing, I hope WC takes my suggestion for a Maewing TLC. (TLC stands for 'Tender Loving Care')

---

Gee, I've been gone for too long...
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Very nice. ☺️ How do we vote?
Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

hoodlumsworld wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:26 am Very nice. ☺️ How do we vote?
Votes are currently closed. We'll have to wait until Friday or whenever WC announces the final voting round.
Until then, gather as much active RPC members to boost the votes.

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/fo ... ction=desc

Bison is currently the runner up in terms of popularity and votes. It's currently at 4th place. Gorgonops and Bastion Beetle are in the lead.
I'll show you how to vote and whom to vote for.

Gorgonops was initially going to be added in the game, but was scrapped. And now that people are aware, they'll go above and beyond to rig the voting system to get the creature in with their own dossiers about how it works, how you tame it, etc. Another Permian creature sounds cool, but I personally would not use the Gorgonops for PVE situations, and might even be useless in PVP as well. Creatures with PVP in mind tend to be nerfed to hell and back. Just ask the Shadowmane.
Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

BUMP 28-1-2023: FINAL VOTING ROUND!

https://app.rankedvote.co/elections/295 ... 30827/vote
To cast your vote, you need to sign up and verify your email. (Anonymous votes won't count)

Drag and drop the names of the creatures. Make sure to put bison on top, and Gorgonops on the very bottom.
And then click submit when you're done.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

I missed the deadline, but let us know how it goes. ☺️
Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

The winner has been announced. And the winner is...

Rhyniognatha - The "Sky Giga"

IRL Rhyniognatha is way smaller. Like, modern day mosquito small.
And with most creatures on Ark, they're upscaled to be ridden.

In all honestly, I forgot about this insect behemoth. And I'm surprised it won. I was fearing gorgonops would win.
I hope WildCard gives this creature the saddle that's designed to look like a motorcycle.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Rhyniognatha looks really cool, congratulations to the winner. ☺️
Indy
Crapaud blindé

Post by Indy »

OH BOY. I've been gone for so long, and boy do I have a lot to say about a corrupted shady company that publishes Ark. And it's making me sad...

I lost the spark for Rayman since someone spoke out about the abuse within Ubisoft's walls. I don't want to lose this. Dinosaurs have been my thing ever since I was little. And if Ark goes down the drain because of one shady company's CEO, this would ruin Paleontology as a whole for me.

And looking back, PVE servers were also affected to some degree. Which would explain why we crash during boosted holiday events on Official servers. Or, that we crashed or got booted from the server for no real reason. Because Ark is so buggy pre-official launch, it's been exploited and abused to hell and back by hackers, dupers, admin console abusers, and exploiters.

What pisses me off the most about this is that PVP players get unfairly banned from the game because the CEO of SnailGames didn't 'gIt GuD'.
That guy really hates losing so he'd get rid of the players like they're a threat to his way of life. And he cheats because he has power/loads of money.
Which is real scummy if you think about it.

Hence, why I believe that the PVE servers I played on were affected in some way.
I play on unofficial now, so we don't experience crashes or toxicity. This unofficial cluster I play on has chill and friendly people, and I consider one of the players my bestie because he treats me with respect, and we have a beneficial friendship. I tame and breed creatures for stats, he goes out looking for Rhyniognatha that we can later use imprinted ones for transport or map scouting.

And I'm also a compulsive builder. Dear lord...

Anyway, don't expect me to be here much. I might show up for RD. Who knows.