Suggestion: RayTextures

For all things related to Pirate-Community and its websites.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Re: Suggestion: RayTextures

Post by Droolie »

I do think the tag/category idea is a good one, but the amount of work required sure is something else :P I think it would be nice if we could make the categorizing a community project like RayWiki, so that we start out with just the filename as tag, but everyone on RPC can add tags (quickly, without too much clicks or page transfers). People would add tags whenever they need the texture. It would potentially lead to some incorrect or nonexistent tags, but the work would definitely be doable if spread out across the community.
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or
Tings: 935

Post by Rock_TBT »

Hunchman801 wrote:We probably want to define the category tree then, to make sure it can be used for all three features.

And then, we'll of course need someone willing to manage the website.
Now when the category tree is decent enough, the only thing that is left is the website.

Any suggestions?

Here are the suggestions I provided a while back:
Link to website #1: https://www.freewebtemplates.com/downlo ... 877695526/
Link to website #2: https://www.freewebtemplates.com/downlo ... 221655329/
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

Don't worry about the software, I'll look into the most used gallery systems and see which one is the best fit for us.

But without someone willing to take care of the website, there's no point in doing it now. There are higher priorities anyway (regarding the forum and wiki).

Droolie's idea is quite nice, but it's hard to estimate the amount of technical work it will require without a good knowledge of how said gallery systems work.
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or

Post by Rock_TBT »

Hunchman801 wrote: But without someone willing to take care of the website, there's no point in doing it now. There are higher priorities anyway (regarding the forum and wiki).
What do you do when you take care of a website?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Here, it would involve setting up the theme and the content (files, categories, etc.), among other things.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

I could probably help take care of the website, though I would in no way be able to do it all on my own.
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or

Post by Rock_TBT »

Hunchman801 wrote:Here, it would involve setting up the theme and the content (files, categories, etc.), among other things.
Okay. I volunteer myself to take care of the site, along side the carrot above.

What is the website and the manual to edit its layout?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Carrot-master wrote:I could probably help take care of the website, though I would in no way be able to do it all on my own.
Rock_TBT wrote:Okay. I volunteer myself to take care of the site, along side the carrot above.
Rock_TBT wrote:What is the website and the manual to edit its layout?
Hunchman801 wrote:I'll look into the most used gallery systems and see which one is the best fit for us.
Unfortunately, I don't have much time to spare at the moment. I could do with some help, but it'd require someone with technical knowledge and a good understanding of how those things work.
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or

Post by Rock_TBT »

Hunchman801 wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have much time to spare at the moment. I could do with some help, but it'd require someone with technical knowledge and a good understanding of how those things work.
Won´t my suggested websites suffice?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Rock_TBT wrote:Won´t my suggested websites suffice?
It's a lot more complicated than that. Installing third-party software comes with a lot of risks and I'm not taking any chances. The first two links you posted aren't even gallery software, just HTML templates, and I have no way of telling whether the others are reliable and provide all the features we need without looking into them first—in detail.
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or

Post by Rock_TBT »

Hunchman801 wrote:It's a lot more complicated than that. Installing third-party software comes with a lot of risks and I'm not taking any chances. The first two links you posted aren't even gallery software, just HTML templates, and I have no way of telling whether the others are reliable and provide all the features we need without looking into them first—in detail.
Why not just run a anti-virus software? Isn´t that enough?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Rock_TBT wrote:Why not just run a anti-virus software? Isn´t that enough?
Haha, unfortunately it's not that simple. It would take me days just to explain it all.
TheLimblessLad
Otto Psi
Tings: 6040

Post by TheLimblessLad »

This is a great idea, it would make gathering textures much easier. We have RaySaves, might as well have RayTextures, right?

(please add this)
Heya, I'm TheLimblessLad, and I started my Rayman journey in mid 2020 with Origins, and have loved the series ever since.
I also run a pretty decent Rayman Twitter account, @RaymanFacts, so that's cool.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I suppose it's one of those ideas that everybody likes but nobody wants to work on. :P
TheLimblessLad
Otto Psi
Tings: 6040

Post by TheLimblessLad »

Hunchman801 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:31 pm I suppose it's one of those ideas that everybody likes but nobody wants to work on. :P
We have RayTunes and RaySaves, it would be GREAT to complete the Rayman assets "Triforce" with RayTextures.

Of course though, if nobody wants to, thats fine. We have The Spriters Resource and The Textures Resource which have most Rayman games' textures and sprites downloadable for free, so I'm not really losing sleep over it not being a thing. A Rayman texture focused website would still be completely better and ideal, though.

If nobody is up to it right now, hopefully somebody may be in the future.
Heya, I'm TheLimblessLad, and I started my Rayman journey in mid 2020 with Origins, and have loved the series ever since.
I also run a pretty decent Rayman Twitter account, @RaymanFacts, so that's cool.