Suggestion: RayTextures

For all things related to Pirate-Community and its websites.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or
Tings: 935

Re: Suggestion: RayTextures

Post by Rock_TBT »

Hunchman801 wrote:Well, MediaWiki is a rather heavy application and it sounds overkill for a gallery project that just needs categorizing. In any case, we should define all features here before we even decide to go for a technical solution.
Do you mean the features of the website or the categorization of the textures?

If it is regarding the features of the website, all pictures should be seen on one full page. Like the link I sent before. At a menu bar should be present with the different game titles, once the mouse is on the menu bar, the different categorizes of the game appears. Once clicked, all textures will appear.

If you are referring to the categorization of the textures, then they can be categorized as character textures (with subsections for enemies, NPCs and main characters), background (terrain) textures, poster/other images with a motif of some sort, object textures, GUI and the menu.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

I'm sure there's lighter gallery software than Coppermine, it's probably just a matter of picking one.

As for features, I meant that we need to define all specifications first.
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or

Post by Rock_TBT »

Hunchman801 wrote:I'm sure there's lighter gallery software than Coppermine, it's probably just a matter of picking one.

What kind of specifications are you having in mind?

Do you have any other gallery softwares in mind?
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

I do GUI programming all the time, and I'm currently learning the whole web bundle (HTML/CSS/JavaScript/JQuery) for a company I might be able to start working for. Once I have that down (it shouldn't take too long) I wouldn't mind putting in the time to make something custom. I can't imagine it would take all that long, really.

But if we want to launch the site really soon, then a template would be fine in the meantime.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Rock_TBT wrote:
Hunchman801 wrote:I'm sure there's lighter gallery software than Coppermine, it's probably just a matter of picking one.

What kind of specifications are you having in mind?

Do you have any other gallery softwares in mind?
I'm guessing by specifications, we're discussing what we want from this software. Figuring out what we want will aid in selecting or developing software to fulfill said defined specifications. If we jump into just picking some software at random, we run the risk of potentially using software which is either inadequate or excessive for our needs.

A fun little formal project for RPC. I've never actually seen the whole development process in action, this will be interesting.

Specification-wise, I think the features discussed thus far are:
  • Search Functionality
  • Categories, structured by game, platform etc.
  • Folder trees - download folder of textures, or navigate to specific one
  • Display filenames
  • Thumbnails
  • Perhaps tags to make it easier to sort things by character, fauna etc?
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or

Post by Rock_TBT »

Adsolution wrote: a template would be fine in the meantime.
Do you have a suggestion for a such template? I cannot say I am aware of one at the time of this writing.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I'm not a dictionay, so please look up specification if you have any questions.
Adsolution wrote:I do GUI programming all the time, and I'm currently learning the whole web bundle (HTML/CSS/JavaScript/JQuery) for a company I might be able to start working for. Once I have that down (it shouldn't take too long) I wouldn't mind putting in the time to make something custom. I can't imagine it would take all that long, really.
Thanks for the offer, however a custom solution would make maintenance a hell lot more cumbersome and there would have to be a strong case for it against some actively developed gallery software. Moreover, the technologies you mentioned are exclusively front-end (unless you plan on using Node.js, in which case I'm curious which database systems you're currently learning), and we're clearly going for something dynamic.
Master wrote:Specification-wise, I think the features discussed thus far are:
  • Search Functionality
  • Categories, structured by game, platform etc.
  • Folder trees - download folder of textures, or navigate to specific one
  • Display filenames
  • Thumbnails
  • Perhaps tags to make it easier to sort things by character, fauna etc?
I think both search, categories, folders and tags can be managed by a unique category/tag (it's the same thing) system. Filenames are often obscure and there's little reason for someone to search for them, so we're better off extracting relevant keywords and saving them as tags. Searching for "Rayman 2 > PC > Enemies" would be as simple as searching for images having those four tags (we'd just have to a build a small menu). Extra tags could be added to facilitate search.

Now I think about it, all of this sounds relevant to RayGallery as well. :oops2:
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Hmm, we could try merging the two. But last I saw, the site RayGallery was based off was a bit...iffy, for want of a better term.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Master wrote:Hmm, we could try merging the two. But last I saw, the site RayGallery was based off was a bit...iffy, for want of a better term.
There's nothing to merge, as it never was more than a non-functional static page. What we could do is extend RayTextures to encompass all Rayman images and become the new RayGallery, but it would be redundant with RayWiki now.
Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Hmm, I must be thinking of something else then. Anyways, it's true that RayWiki does seem to have stuff like promotional images and the like covered, so I guess a general RayGallery might be somewhat redundant. Though I'm not entirely sure if RayWiki has got all the stuff we've found over the years in the Rare Rayman Pictures thread, might be best to comb through and see if anything else can be gotten.

So, back to RayTextures, I'm going to guess that we're keeping it separate then?
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or

Post by Rock_TBT »

I searched online and found these two templates. They seem practical.

Is one of them conceivable?
Link to template #1: https://www.freewebtemplates.com/downlo ... 877695526/
Link to template #2: https://www.freewebtemplates.com/downlo ... 221655329/
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

No idea who talked about templates in the first place but it's gallery software we need, not static templates.
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or

Post by Rock_TBT »

Hunchman801 wrote:No idea who talked about templates in the first place but it's gallery software we need, not static templates.
These gallery softwares seem practical.

Link #1: http://piwigo.org/

Link #2: http://www.tinywebgallery.com/en/main.php

For further reading look at this link:
http://www.design3edge.com/2010/08/26/b ... galleries/
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or

Post by Rock_TBT »

Based on Master´s suggestions of features, here are the features I believe should be included in the website:
• Search Functionality - using a search bar on the right top corner of the page.
• Categories, structured by game, platform etc. - Like this for example; Rayman 3 -> Characters -> Enemies
• Folder trees - download folder of textures, or navigate to specific one, Like the ones on Windows system.
• Display filenames and thumbnails -> the name of the image is present under the thumbnail. The thumbnails will be present horizontally on the side. Like this:
TITLE PAGE OF THE GAME
Name of subsection
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
• Perhaps tags to make it easier to sort things by character, fauna etc? - tags

Are these features enough?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Hunchman801 wrote:I think both search, categories, folders and tags can be managed by a unique category/tag (it's the same thing) system. Filenames are often obscure and there's little reason for someone to search for them, so we're better off extracting relevant keywords and saving them as tags. Searching for "Rayman 2 > PC > Enemies" would be as simple as searching for images having those four tags (we'd just have to a build a small menu). Extra tags could be added to facilitate search.
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or

Post by Rock_TBT »

So is it decided then?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

We probably want to define the category tree then, to make sure it can be used for all three features.

And then, we'll of course need someone willing to manage the website.
Droolie
Mr Sax
Tings: 61830

Post by Droolie »

And somehow tag all of those 1500+ textures per game correctly (5000 for RL), for all Rayman games that we have textures for :P
I guess it could work if you could extract the tags based on the filenames, but then we'd be back to just searching for filenames.
Rock_TBT
Ptizêtre en or

Post by Rock_TBT »

May be the search function is a little redundant, and hence the tags, when it is possible to simply search the category tree for the desired texture.

Here is my suggestion for the category tree:
•Rayman 3 -> ^Characters -> *Enemies (such as hoodlums, razoff kanareen etc)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx *NPC (such as turtles, frogs etc)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx *´Good guys´ (such as Globox, Teensies, Murfy etc)
xxxxxxxxxx ^Objects -> *General objects for every level (such as crystals, piggy banks and red lums)
xxxxxxxxxx ^Levels -> *The Fairy Council (such as terrain textures and effects)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (and so forth for every level in the game)
xxxxxxxxxx ^GUI (such as meny, healthcare, scorer etc)

(the same category tree like the one for Rayman 3 applies for the other games as well)

What do you all think?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Drolpiraat wrote:And somehow tag all of those 1500+ textures per game correctly (5000 for RL), for all Rayman games that we have textures for :P
I was just putting it down in a nicer way. :mrgreen:
Drolpiraat wrote:I guess it could work if you could extract the tags based on the filenames, but then we'd be back to just searching for filenames.
While it could help extract a few tags, most of the work would still be manual I'm afraid.
Rock_TBT wrote:[...]

What do you all think?
I think it's a pretty good start.