Rayman: Revenge of the Dark

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Tygrysek
Lums
Tings: 25

Re: Rayman: Revenge of the Dark

Post by Tygrysek »

Will in ROTD be revealed how Rayman met Globox for 1st time? We don't know him in R1, but in R2 he's already his friend. Greetings. :)
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

It sure will!
keesdude
Électoon
Tings: 10

Post by keesdude »

Hey Adsolution! As a long-time Rayman fan, I find it amazing that you're making this game! I've seen the 'Massive update 2012' video so many times, and I also LOVE the soundtrack. It's funny actually, I feel you've captured the dreamy atmosphere that, in my opinion made Rayman 'Rayman' on a very deep level, maybe even more that the actual rayman games themselves. Hmm... Anyway, Really well done! And I'd love to see more of your stuff.
I also heard that you're hard at work on ROTD for like a gazillion years. Holy shit duderina, that is dedication right there.

To wrap it up, I love your work! And much success with the game and in your own life!
Greets, Kees.
Pipann
Bzzit
Tings: 58710

Post by Pipann »

What's up me homes old and new, it me spanex and I return from the spectral plains to bring you content: revisited ambient creatures. Old VS New

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
gamerz31w
Ptizêtre Vert
Tings: 1365

Post by gamerz31w »

Wow cool so pipann would you like to join our Rayman discord Server? Your models are awesome.
Pipann
Bzzit

Post by Pipann »

gamerz31w wrote:Wow cool so pipann would you like to join our Rayman discord Server?
Thanks but nah.

Here's something new I've never attempted yet before. You guys might recognize this from other games like Shadow of the Colossus; it's called the Fins & Shells technique. Its goal is to simulate fur or hair on a character without sacrificing performance.

https://i.imgur.com/kxcnKho.png
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
gamerz31w
Ptizêtre Vert

Post by gamerz31w »

Can you please show us your fanarts of rotd Raven?I guess only if Adsolution will allow you.
Pipann
Bzzit

Post by Pipann »

I doubt what I've made hasn't already been shown here. Progression has been slow, hence the updates that are far and few between. Hoping to see it speed up again soon.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
DigitheCrystalgem
Électoon
Tings: 0

Post by DigitheCrystalgem »

can I test the demo plz
DigitheCrystalgem
Électoon

derp derp make harpic a mod
DigitheCrystalgem
Électoon

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeare the crystal gemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmms
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

igtario
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Alright, you've been warned three times at this point to stop double posting, and now you're just spamming.

-50 tings, and if it continues, it'll be a tempban next.
thecraftinatorx
Créature
Tings: 335

Post by thecraftinatorx »

Hey adso, how is going the project? Everything is okey? I hope so, greetings!
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

I'm working on programming the physics. It's very on and off due to work, and I kind of got stuck at one part transforming Rayman's velocity vector on slopes, but I'm on a very good track right now.

I've created a detailed map in my head of his mechanics and how the animations and stuff will play off them. When testing, I'm ignoring what you can and can't do currently and am making a list of things that I might try and do instinctually that would either feel natural or that you would be able to do in real life - for instance, from a sprint, being able to halt your forward velocity by anchoring your foot and jumping backwards, something which would make platforming feel a lot faster-paced and more under your control. I'll then find a way to implement them as progressive and unconditionally as possible - by that I mean, for instance regarding the back-jump, having your velocity halt relative to the angular difference between your current normalised velocity and your directional input while jumping, rather than setting it to function only if the angle is great enough (common for special moves, transitional animations that interfere with gameplay and 180 turn-around animations in platformers).

I've also completely eliminated the issue of your character not moving in the direction you want on a small platform by eliminating the idea of the character facing a direction altogether - the direction Rayman's facing completely irrelevant to the way he moves. When you press a direction, Rayman will already begin to move in that direction without having to turn around first, and instead focus on turning around (visually) while running - as such, he has five different animations for all of his basic moves (forward, front-left, back-left, back-right, front-right) which blend smoothly between one another depending on where he's currently facing versus the direction he's actually moving in. He realises that moving in the direction you told him to move is #1 priority.

Essentially, I'm trying to make everything respond as realistically as possible to your inputs, akin to how you're actually likely to respond in real life inputting these actions through your brain. Conditional stuff (end of the first paragraph) and directional tomfoolery are, for me, the two biggest issues (that have never been solved) in the 3D platforming genre because they frequently remove control from the player in critical moments, something which will inherently cause frustration. Sure, it makes mastering a game's mechanics a satisfying challenge at times, but that's the wrong kind of difficulty. You shouldn't have to re-learn how to do basic shit in a video game you can do in real life no problem.

I've also put a lot of work into making the camera as intelligent as possible, implementing some idea I came up with I've never really seen implemented before, such as it being able to predict where you're going to land from a jump, making sure both Rayman and the landing zone are always on-screen where necessary. Things like this allow for the appearance of an incredibly smooth on-rails camera even during hectic non-linear platforming segments despite not being guided in any way (since it can calculate where you'll probably land hundreds of times faster than you can), which also means you don't have to worry about keeping your thumb on the right stick nearly as often, allowing you to perform more complex actions during any of these sequences. I'm not talking out of my ass here either, since the system is already largely in place and works brilliantly. :mryellow: I don't really want to show any video yet though.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102730

Post by PluMGMK »

Adsolution wrote:Essentially, I'm trying to make everything respond as realistically as possible to your inputs, akin to how you're actually likely to respond in real life inputting these actions through your brain. Conditional stuff (end of the first paragraph) and directional tomfoolery are, for me, the two biggest issues (that have never been solved) in the 3D platforming genre because they frequently remove control from the player in critical moments, something which will inherently cause frustration. Sure, it makes mastering a game's mechanics a satisfying challenge at times, but that's the wrong kind of difficulty. You shouldn't have to re-learn how to do basic shit in a video game you can do in real life no problem.
Well, I find that quite a refreshing philosophy. I'm glad it seems to be panning out!
gamerz31w
Ptizêtre Vert

Post by gamerz31w »

How's your fangame progress Adsolution?
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Post by Aaron »

Are you still working on ROTD?
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Three posts up after this one. It's two weeks ago, but I don't think there's need to worry yet.

Though on the topic of development, how long has it been now? This thread's been around since before I joined, back when it looked more like a Crysis mod, and it was Sabertooth who was the OP. It's truly staggering and inspiring how far things have come.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

yeap

ok sliding physics, how about 0:58?