DREAMBOUND - Bound to the dream of releasing before 2037

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Droolie
Oumbr
Tings: 54315

Re: DREAMBOUND - Still writing (20%) + new music!

Postby Droolie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:33 am

Thanks Minor-T5! :)
My entry is now available here: http://uplaylounge.ubi.com/fanart/3800/dream-carnival
Please vote for it! :D

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5482

Postby Adsolution » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Jesus man, that drawing is absolutely amazing! :D The colours are so pure and tasty. I also think it's the best you've drawn Blue so far.

I'd love to go swingin' about those lums outside, through the purple trees and sky.
Keane wrote:
incognito wrote:Well, got my worst heart shredding time because of being too explicit in a blind declaration done after four sleepless nights, I hated myself for a year afterwards and I don't anyone else to suffer of the same fate.
Im picturing a flat scrunched up fedora under your helmet

Hoodcom
Bad Rayman
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 363800

Postby Hoodcom » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Whoa, that's simply amazing, Drolie!

Can't beat what Ad said. Heh

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 403580

Postby Master » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Oohh, delicious references and a wonderful sight to behold, dishing out quite a course there, Droolie.

Droolie
Oumbr

Postby Droolie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Wow! Thanks for those awesome comments guys :D Let's hope Michel Ancel thinks similarly about it ^^

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Postby Haruka » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:13 pm

I just commented in the Rayman Legends topic but there are surely a lot of details hidden in your drawing!

Let me see what I found (I might be wrong though):

- Your character's pose - R1
- Purple Lums, Robo-Pirate fan, Robo-Pirate lasers, Pirate Cage, Spiral Door Carpet - R2TGE
- Matuvu, Plum Juice barrel, Fish statue à la Razoff (?) - R3HH
- Yin-Yang - RL (?)

Shrooblord
Froutch
Tings: 60100

Postby Shrooblord » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:44 pm

Wow, Droolie, that's so beautiful I'm at a loss for words to comment properly!
Play Rayman Arena (PC) online with friends~!
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.

Droolie
Oumbr

Postby Droolie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks a lot Shroobie & Haruka! :D
And congratulations for getting most of the references Haruka! As for the rest of the references, I told you about the Moskito on the carpet before on Skype, but I just realized there's also a R2 spider (forgetting my own references thanks to a lack of sleep) above the green fish. That's all of them :)

Shrooblord
Froutch

Postby Shrooblord » Thu May 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Oh hehe the spider was one of the first I noticed; before that, I saw Blue striking the Rayman 1 pose.

And then I started cracking my head over the fact that I couldn't place where the fish people came from, until I clumsily realised they were your own creations!
Dart wrote:Sometimes life just comes out of nowhere and demands a lot of your attention.

Haruka
Rayman 2
Tings: 178780

Postby Haruka » Sat May 24, 2014 6:09 pm

I was bored a few days ago, and I decided to do a little treat :P :

http://haruka-tavares.deviantart.com/ar ... -456107497

Droolie
Oumbr

Postby Droolie » Sun May 25, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks again Haruka! That's pretty awesome! :D I don't have an active account on deviantART, but if I did I would definitely favourite it :)

@Shroobie, who commented on deviantART: I gave Blue a slightly new look a while ago that includes freckles. They don't stand out, though you'll notice them if you look hard at his face in this image. ^^

Shrooblord
Froutch

Postby Shrooblord » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:46 pm

Oh, yeah - neato! He looks good with them on.

EDIT:
Just dropping by on one of my fellow game-creators - how goes it, Droolie?

Rock_TBT
Reclu
Tings: 665

Postby Rock_TBT » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:27 pm

How enjoyable! Keep up the good work!

Shrooblord
Froutch

Postby Shrooblord » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:05 pm

Damn what a post necro!

But, good, this gives us a great opportunity to ask you how it's going, Droolie? :)

Droolie
Oumbr

Postby Droolie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:16 am

Not very well, to be completely honest.

During my last years at university I was forced to stop even the little work I was doing for Dreambound, especially with my level generation thesis which demanded my attention pretty much non-stop. I graduated in September and haven't really taken on any full-time job yet, but right now I'm getting paid for developing a speech training game at home. I can also choose when I work on it, as long as I make some deadlines, but that also means that whenever I even think of working on Dreambound, I feel like I should be working on that other game instead. :/

To make matters worse, even after trying to learn 3D modeling really hard, I still suck so badly at it (rigging especially) that I feel forced to restart in 2D again. I already have (on paper) a ton of environments, cutscenes and gameplay mechanics planned out for a 3D version, and a lot of care went into that, so creating a 2D version based on that material feels like a huge downgrade. I can create pretty cool-looking stuff in 2D but it isn't about that - I just feel I can't create good worlds (not levels) with that sidescroller perspective, and well-designed worlds are one of my favourite things in games. I would not be able to love a Dreambound without that, so I'm doing my best to come to a solution, whether 3D or 2D.

On the bright side, I never stopped working on the story or music, and I recently started working on artwork again as well. I've vastly improved over everything I posted all those years ago so all of that is now better than ever. I haven't shared anything because I wanted the next update to be bigger than just a piece of artwork or a song or two, and I still do, so I really, really, really hope I can deliver something playable before or in 2037. :D
Last edited by Droolie on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shrooblord
Froutch

Re: DREAMBOUND - Bound to the dream of releasing before 2037

Postby Shrooblord » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:55 am

If ever you need help with rigging, I could work with you if you wish. I like rigging. It's fun. I have a commercial license to Maya LT too, so it's all completely legal!!

Raymanni
Pâquerette
Tings: 12810

Postby Raymanni » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Drolpiraat wrote:To make matters worse, even after trying to learn 3D modeling really hard, I still suck so badly at it (rigging especially) that I feel forced to restart in 2D again.

Ah, I know exactly what you mean... :oops2: Whatever you decide to do with your project, I'm 100% supporting you. So good luck with everything! :mryellow:

Droolie
Oumbr

Postby Droolie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks guys!

I got about this far with my 3D model attempt before I had to start working on my thesis instead (July 2015): http://i.imgur.com/Dw6Zyfw.png
Which is not very far, especially when you know his eyes didn't have pupils and I don't think the geometry was fit for rigging either.

I'm not too bad at sculpting in zbrush though, and for another project I've created some environment assets that don't need to move by converting (and adapting) sculpts to low-poly objects. So I don't think creating the environment would be a problem if I went 3D... but actual modeling in 3ds max and rigging are things I'll have to try out again. If I really can't do it, I'll be sure to get help, so thanks for the offer Shrooblord! :)

By the way, it looks like it's almost the 10th anniversary of this topic. Hooray?

Shrooblord
Froutch

Postby Shrooblord » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Drolpiraat wrote:By the way, it looks like it's almost the 10th anniversary of this topic. Hooray?
Holy crap how time flies :boon:

Master
Rayman Origins
Tings: 403580

Postby Master » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Holy moly, I can still remember when I was a lurker and this was Eclipse.

Return to “Rayman fanworks”