Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams (Recruiting)

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

XBAlizE
Électoon
Tings: 15

Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams (Recruiting)

Post by XBAlizE » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:39 am

Rayman 4
Tides of Dreams

Apply Now (Currently Recruting)
Interested in joining me on a Journey like no other? Want to create something for you, myself, and the fans? Inspired by everything I've written below?
Don't just stand there with your Rayman hoodie on, do something about it! Join me on this Journey to create Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams (Today) !

Application Form: (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1iE75xz ... DoNMSQKnL4)
Currently looking for: Writers, Music Composers, Graphic Designers, Sound Composers (SFX), Resource Gatherers, Resource Managers, Discord Admins, Co-CEO.
Level Designers (For anyone who knows how to scale difficulty, and knows how to make Rayman themed Levels) [Rayman Gold Experienced]
- Coming Soon - (Images / Previews) - (Concept Art) - (Concept Music) - (Concept Visuals) - (Changes)

Greetings Rayman Pirate Community,

Starting from today after delaying whether to sign up on the forums, I've decided to share Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams with you all. This project is a work-in-progress. For those of you don't know anything about the supposed "Rayman 4"- I intend on creating Rayman 4 from scratch. The Engine will be GMK, but as time goes on; Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams will be re-released after being ported to Unity / a different engine. I've thought about everything I want to include in this fangame, I'm almost certain that everything that had just become concept art will be included in this game. Anything that deems itself unfinished will be recreated from scratch. All animations will be smoothed out. Rayman's character sprite will be rather created from scratch depending on how well it fits the theme. This doesn't mean we are going to see a badly drawn Rayman. I assure you that Rayman will be given a lot of care, I'll be creating him based on the Rayman games that included different styles. It's more likely going to be a blend between 2D Rayman mixed with 3D Rayman's style. This means a more lighter shade that may be changed a little to meet expectations. The overall design for Rayman will be important, and I've already considered creating something that Raymans have never seen in any Rayman game / fan-game.

Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams (Story)
After Rayman 3's events, Rayman finds himself in a world that was never finished. Introducing Dark Rayman as he makes an appearance to manipulate Rayman in going through a World of Glitches. However, the world seems mostly intact, and every location seems to be held together by someone's dreams. Rayman fears that Dark Rayman is on a dark quest to end the life of whoever has been sleeping all this time. Throughout the story, Rayman will have to face Dark Rayman's manipulated & warped creatures that have been created from his dream-like imagination. (Nothing too dark, just that overall theme of darkness from Rayman 2) As Rayman awakens in a new world, he will have to go through different dream sequences which are known as: "Levels" in order to reach Dark Rayman's hidden lands. Rayman will meet all the characters that we fans love, and even a few appearances that bring homeage to the series. It's a simple plot with a dark atmosphere, but I believe that Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams will have a very important role to play; being that is a world of dreams. You might even seen a Level or two return with a fresh redesign.

Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams (Levels)
DISCLAIMER: All of these Level names & designs are more than likely to change during Alpha-Beta phase.
Dreamscape - Dreamscape is the Hub world (name due to change in the future), Rayman will find several openings in this Level that will take him to the different Levels, this allows the player to explore the Hub world instead of just using it as a simple Point A- Point B system. Players will be able to search around the Hub world to find secrets / eastereggs (work in progress)- There will also be different RNG based events, this allows a fresh experience for any Lets play. Rayman will be able to find secret minigames that Dark Rayman has glitched into the world & players will be able to earn rewards from these minigames. (Time-trial), (Collectathon), (Mini-Boss Battle), (Surfing the tides of dreams)-similar to the experience from Rayman 3 - Hoodlum Havoc. [More are more than likely to be added, and there might be some removed too during later versions]. Everything is unstable right now, but I'm giving you a rough idea on how this will work.

The Village - The Village according to the Rayman 4 information page shows that it was supposed to be the Hub World. Due to not wanting to use a Village theme was a Hub World, and finding it more interesting to use the Dreamscape as the Hub world was not an easy decision to make. I know it was the right decision due to thinking a village could get boring quite fast. Dreamscape is a placeholder for the time being, and it may make it into the final game. (Sorry for going off-topic)- The Village will now be a Level where Rayman will be able to find the fan-favorite; Plums, also a throwback to Rayman 3 with Globox needing Plum Juice again, as we find out that later in the Level that Dark Rayman has glitched a returning villain; André who has caused Globox problems again. However, this time round the player can choose whether to help Globox or continue to complete the level by getting a 100% clear rate. The reason I've made this optional is because some fans didn't enjoy carrying Plum Juice or finding it for Globox through puzzles.
- (Globox Plum Juice Side-Quest) - [Optional] - This can delay you from completing the level if you are trying to speed-run it. IF you do complete this side-quest, you will have an opening to a hidden location that has now opened up called; Dream Capsules, breaking one will release an item that Dark Rayman has unknowningly glitched into the world Rayman is in. These Dream Capsules contain a power-up that Rayman will be able to use in the Level to possibly uncover secrets. It will also make it easier to get through the level with the support of the Power-Up.
- (Save all the Teensies) [Earns a Star]
- (Collect Lums) [Earns a Star]
- (Collect Dream Capsule) [Earns a Star]
- (Defeat all enemies) [Earns a Star]
- (Bonus Star) [Earns a Star]

Nightmare Forest - Rayman 4 information page shows that the first level was an unnamed forest. Due to fitting into the concept / plot of Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams, Nightmare Forest is just the polar opposite of "Dream Forest"- you can argue saying that its unoriginal, sounds stupid. But it doesn't sound unoriginal to me, it fits the criteria that is Tides of Dreams. I've had many ideas on how this could all work out, the style, the theme, everything really. Nightmare Forest is like a subtle foreshadowing of the events that have occured, the Dream Forest we once knew has become corrupt. Whoever is sleeping is having a nightmare, and the Dream Forest plays a huge part in all this as it reveals more of the plot. In this Level you can expect to find similarties to Dream Forest. However, everything in this Level will be different to a more broken down, ruins kind of look. (This is set to change too) Nightmare Forest will be full of unfair falling zones, there will be some difficulty towards the middle of the Level. Taking a page from Rayman 1 or just (Rayman)- there will be two paths to choose from. This allows the player to choose the one that suits them most. Either path is going to still up the dificulty, but one of the them is going to be a little more tolerable for newbies.
- The Tallest Tree is a location in this Level, players will be able to climb up there with or without power-ups. Once you reach the top, you will find what are known as Mini-Boss, the player will have to fight the boss at the top while also having a difficult situations if they happen to get caught by it. If the Mini-Boss performs the grab animation (subject to change) Rayman will suffer being knocked off (thrown or dropped off) which can lead to furstration. Which is why I've included the second path which will allow the player an easier way up to the top. The problem with this is that you will have to put more time in though.
- (Defeat the Mini-Boss) (Which might be Globox possessed) - [Earns a Star]
- (Save all the Teensies) [Earns a Star]
- (Collect Lums) [Earns a Star]
- (Collect Dream Capsules) [Earns a Star]
- (Bonus Star) [Earns a Star]

Melody Meadow - According to the Rayman 4 information page; Band Land was set to make a return. I've given this much thought but due to Band Land sounding like a whole lot of fun to create again. I just decided to focus on the "Music themed Level"- this is why I bring forward a fan-level name known as "Melody Meadow", this Level is similar to Band Land, and to create the illusion of Band Land still existing in this world / game; the player will be able to see a silohuette of a Shutdown Band Land. All the beautiful colors are set to make a return in Melody Meadow, while Rayman will be able to find a Power-Up that never got released. There is concept art that promotes the idea of Rayman being able to use this Power-Up. (Prototype, may change in the future) You will be able to find this Power-Up: Rayman-shaped Submarine (was supposed to be used in Rayman 4) The design will be similar to this Power-Up found in Melody Meadow, and the player will see that it pays tribute to a Farm-like concept, as Rayman will have a power-up that allows him to roll in Melody Meadow Grass, this allows Rayman to rather slow down near edges of platforms or (can be carried by the wind when the animation plays)- I love this idea as it allows me to get really creative with Music carrying Rayman through the level. Notes, clouds, everything that just makes Rayman stand out from other platformers will be included in this level.
- Coming Soon -

Picture City - Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams (Level name subject to change in the future) is bringing back the pencils, the erasers, and everything that made that level stand out to fans. The difference is that due to Dark Rayman having a heavy influence in this world / plot- Picture City has become a little washed out. Rayman will be able to slip, slide, fall into rivers of ink that take him to different platforms. Rayman will be able to climb pencils before they fall, and using a special power-up; Rayman will be able to remove the sharpened points on the pencils making clearance easier. The power-up will not be too easy to collect, and you will have to be extra careful of the Lums that have become angry at Rayman due to (previous plot - unknown) / (cutscene)- Picture City also allows Rayman to climb on paintings before they fall into the ink rivers, Rayman can get trapped in a droplet of ink that will result in rather being carried by the river back to a nearby platform or if landing on a pencil sharped point; Rayman will just blow up like a ballooon (maybe) Throughout this level you will be able to find secrets, puzzles, an easteregg that shows Space Mama defeated from before. Platforms include: Moving sharpeners, Tables in bad conditions, different types of drawing pins, pencils, fountain pens, leaking pens, Sea of Ink makes a return with leakage causing rivers of ink as a new hazard. ink-covered platforms / erasers, boxes full of ink, swinging platforms to grab onto, paint buckets & an easter egg showing a corrupt Lum (it's more of a secret you may find if you are lucky).
- Coming Soon -

The World of Toys - Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams (Level name / concept may change in the future) is a heavy influence driven by Rayman 4 information page. There was little to no information on how this Level would look by design, what it would include as hazards / enemies. So, this allows me to create the first ever Toy-themed Level for Rayman fans. I've seen some concept art as well as fanart that drawn a few designs of what it might look like. This has allowed me to create The World of Toys that I believe may fit into the world of Rayman's themed levels that are popular. (Doing it differently)
- Platforms: (Palette) Purplish, yellowish, greenish, mixing with lighter & darker colors.
- Mini trains that Rayman will be able to stand on (going through tunnels will knock Rayman off onto the Train Tracks). IF Rayman is on the train track you more than likely to be damaged by an incoming train that is heading towards the tunnel. [Players will be warned by a flickering light / ray of light shining on Rayman] (Concept idea)- Rayman will be a dark silohuette when the train in nowhere to seen, but will become colorful again when the front train light shines on you / through the tunnels.

- Train Tracks (Greenish / Light greenish) Rayman will be able to walk on these with a chance of some of the middle parts falling / breaking. (Falling platforms)
- DIY toys: Lego-themed bricks / Connex / thin platforms with holes in them (child-like toy) building up some areas. Train tracks built around or on top of them.
- Mini toy cars in the background animated moving around background tracks to build an atmosphere. City-like, child-like music mixed. Pencils rolling.
- Scaletrix (hopefully I spelled that right) - (Concept idea)
- Construction sites / child-like toys: Diggers / JCB / Mechanical / Trucks / Hooks / Cranes / Lifters / Red hot bolts bouncing off platforms causing damage to you.
- Jump on a Teensie to reach higher platforms (IF you find them all) you will be able to get into the Toy Castle: more secrets / eastereggs / easteregg boss fight.
- Gifts in the background (shadowed purple) behind the tracks / toy cars. (Stacked cards / 80s toys)

- Coming Soon -

Candy Ltd - Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams (Level name / concept may change in the future) is once again borrowing from Rayman 4. This level sounds too awesome to be left behind. It not only allows me to blend Picture City with World of Toys on top / Candy-factory theme above all else. It also introduces some new gameplay ideas, and allows me to create some inspiration drawn from Charlie & The Chocolate Factory / Candy-themed levels in gaming too. There is only one leaked concept art images for Candy Ltd, so I've come up with the best way this Level could look in design & how it could play out.
- Candy Canes (Red / White / Pink / White) - Some are platforms that are stationary, and others are connected to a factory mechanism that rotates it round causing a 3D / 2D effect which if the animation plays- Rayman will fall through. (Concept idea) Rayman will also be able to climb some of the smaller / thinner Candy Canes.
- Hovering robots / inspired from Rayman 2's robot pirates: Their animations will be linked to platforms, changing the dynamics in gameplay, and even having an ability to harm Rayman. (This is just a prototype idea, and it may not be included in the final game).

- Candy Floss / slows down Rayman / Candy Floss buckets - pours onto platforms which then slides off after a certain amount of time.
- Different types of Candy platforms / decorations
- Candy land background outside view
- Candy factory platforms / chocolate lakes (maybe)
- Furnaces / Inferno robots / Fire / Lava (everything that just allows creativity)
- Melting platforms / Melting chocolate that can be used to create chocolate harded platforms by switching Freeze Levers that active Freeze Mode in areas of the Level.
- Floss string to swing on (maybe)
- Conveyor Belts (Slow / Slower / Fast / Faster)
- Broken Conveyor Belts / Glitchy ones or jammed ones
- Pipes / Smoke / Steam / Mist / Fog effects / platforms / decorations
- Different layers / rows to climb up to (reach the top of the factory)
- Timers / Mechanisms / Clocks / Fuel gages / Power gages / Visuals
- Dark tunnels / Darkness in some areas / Bright lighting / Pinkish / White
- Tubes / Funnels / Panels / Machines / Robots
- Wacky themed platforms & roofs / ceilings / floors / walls
- Fluffy clouds of Candy Floss / Puffy white clouds of sugar (maybe)
- Sugar / Brown Sugar / Sulphur / Gun Powder / Inferno spaces

The Fortress of Sand - Coming Soon -
(The Light Tower) is powered by the Brightest Lum / God Lum (It's an idea I had)

The Temporal Palace (Subject to change)

The Zoorigami (Most likely not going to be in the game)

The Organic Cavern (Creative, but I feel it may not make it into the final game. I'm planning on making a different theme similar to the style)

The Space Pinball (Level concept already planned out in my mind, I've written down some ideas & made some concept art. It's a 50/50 chance of it being included in the final game) If it doesn't get implemented, I'll introduce a Level that is similar but very different at the same time.

Dark Rayman (Unknown Lair / Location) - Coming Soon - (Name will change & design)

Rayman Land (Not going to happen as it could happen if I decide to work on this design more) IF not... I'm going to reintroduce a Level similar to the Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc level: Inside the Fairy Concil / Fairy Council (It's not yet decided)

The Tree of Dreams (Subject to change) - Coming Soon - (Name will be different or maybe changed to The World-Tree) OR (It could become something else)

Game Engine
R_ToD1
Thank you ever so much for reading this thread. I understand that it's a lot of text to get through, but I really enjoyed sharing this with you. As with this it will allow not only myself to become more creative & motivated, but it will also be the essential resource to inspire others / motivate others & support those who wish to help with this project. IF you didn't notice it already; I've not only included a link to Applying to work with me on this project, but I've also written up a paragraph at the top of this thread. Once again, thank you for everything! I look forward to creating this game & releasing it to all the Rayman Fans as a final thank you & hopefully this game is the dream-game that all the fans could never ever get their hands on. Rayman 4 had so much potential, but making it 3D would not do it justice.

It's starting to begin as very-alpha concept, it doesn't even look like what I had imagined. The problem is down to my Pixel Art skills, I am not a Pixel Artist. I'm a Programmer, to not have someone to create animations & sprites means this project is going to look awful...

Yours Sincerely,

- Rayman Fan Dude (xD)
Last edited by XBAlizE on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Raymanni
Pâquerette
Tings: 12835

Re: Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams (Recruiting)

Post by Raymanni » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Well, it seems you have a hefty project on your hands. I can only wish you, and everyone who participates in this project, the best of luck. I hope I can one day try the game out. :up:

Adsolution
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 5007

Post by Adsolution » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:36 pm

XBAlizE wrote:The Engine will be GMK, but as time goes on; Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams will be re-released after being ported to Unity / a different engine.
You never really clarified: is this game supposed to be 2D or 3D? I'm guessing 2D, because of what you said here, which I find to be a little questionable:
XBAlizE wrote:Rayman 4 had so much potential, but making it 3D would not do it justice.
In what way would a 3D game not do the concept justice, but making it 2D would? That seems pretty backwards to me. Making 2D games is fine and all, I just don't understand the justification. :P
XBAlizE wrote:Game Engine
R_ToD1
What's that?
XBAlizE wrote:So, this allows me to create the first ever Toy-themed Level for Rayman fans
https://youtu.be/lq831GajwDw
XBAlizE wrote:Nightmare Forest is just the polar opposite of "Dream Forest"- you can argue saying that its unoriginal, sounds stupid. But it doesn't sound unoriginal to me, it fits the criteria that is Tides of Dreams.
If you're aware that people might think it sounds unoriginal, then you've directly acknowledged its potential unoriginality to yourself. Again, that's fine, I just don't think it sounds good, and it "meeting the criteria" is probably the worst excuse you could give for holding onto something if you're aware of its flaws.
XBAlizE wrote:The difference is that due to Dark Rayman having a heavy influence in this world / plot- Picture City has become a little washed out. Rayman will be able to slip, slide, fall into rivers of ink that take him to different platforms. Rayman will be able to climb pencils before they fall
https://youtu.be/gB44XAzpmxU?t=1103
18:20 - 20:00 :?:

I don't know if that was intentional or not, I just thought I'd point it out.
XBAlizE wrote:- Conveyor Belts (Slow / Slower / Fast / Faster)
When I reached this point I just had to wonder: What prompted you to list exactly four different speeds? I'm asking because I feel you've gone into an inordinate amount of detail in certain areas, areas that seem to personally interest you but mean little to anyone reading without context (such as how they would fit into the level). You've simply given us a list of features, which might sound cool to you since you can picture how they'll all work together in the end, but be careful not to project onto your audience.
XBAlizE wrote:(...)Nothing too dark, just that overall theme of darkness from Rayman 2)
(...)(Surfing the tides of dreams)-similar to the experience from Rayman 3 - Hoodlum Havoc
(...)Taking a page from Rayman 1 or just (Rayman)- there will be two paths to choose from
(...)Hovering robots / inspired from Rayman 2's robot pirates
(...)I'm going to reintroduce a Level similar to the Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc level: Inside the Fairy Concil / Fairy Council
How come you're so keen on lifting gimmicks like this directly from other games? Rayman 2 was a a very different game from Rayman 1, and Rayman 3 was a very different game from Rayman 2. I'm personally more in favour of original concepts, especially after seeing games like Yooka-Laylee and A Hat In Time underperform for relying so much on nostalgia and failing to innovate even a little bit.

What is your Rayman game doing differently? What is it doing to captivate and challenge us in 2017?
XBAlizE wrote:The Engine will be GMK, but as time goes on; Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams will be re-released after being ported to Unity / a different engine.
Why not just do it in Unity from the get-go? If you want this to be the grand, sweeping vision of Rayman 4 everyone's always wanted, GameMaker isn't going to cut it. To me it sounds like you simply don't know how to use Unity, and rather than learning what's necessary before beginning development, you're rushing in unprepared at the expense of your entire team who would have to remake the majority of the assets in the porting process because you didn't feel like learning what is by far the easiest to use "professional" game engine. This is pretty disrespectful to your developers, though I'm sure that wasn't your intention as you probably just don't understand what it's like to be in their shoes.

Lastly:
XBAlizE wrote:Apply Now (Currently Recruting)
Interested in joining me on a Journey like no other? Want to create something for you, myself, and the fans? Inspired by everything I've written below?
Don't just stand there with your Rayman hoodie on, do something about it! Join me on this Journey to create Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams (Today) !

Currently looking for: Writers, Music Composers, Graphic Designers, Sound Composers (SFX), Resource Gatherers, Resource Managers, Discord Admins, Co-CEO.
Level Designers (For anyone who knows how to scale difficulty, and knows how to make Rayman themed Levels) [Rayman Gold Experienced]
- Coming Soon - (Images / Previews) - (Concept Art) - (Concept Music) - (Concept Visuals) - (Changes)
What skills do you personally have? Again, I ask because you've jumped straight to recruiting people with nothing to show for your project other than a bunch of notes. In my opinion, a team leader needs to have at least some experience in or basic technical knowledge relating to most of the fields you just mentioned, otherwise they're unfit to oversee it. Additionally, consider the fact that you're asking people to work for free and that most people with even remotely serviceable skills aren't likely to give you their time for that sort of thing when you've shown them... nothing. Concepts and a story don't count for anything, because everyone has "ideas".

I don't intend to sound harsh, mean, or even discouraging, I just care a lot, and I don't want anyone to allow themselves the arrogance to think that they, as a team leader and recruiter, can be the least experienced person on the team. Chances are that the kinds of people you're looking to recruit have done exactly what you haven't: learned to be self-sufficient through the knowledge that they have to be the ones to get their ideas off the ground. :mryellow:

XBAlizE
Électoon

Post by XBAlizE » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Adsolution wrote:
You never really clarified: is this game supposed to be 2D or 3D? I'm guessing 2D, because of what you said here, which I find to be a little questionable:
You have some valid points, and perhaps I didn't write enough information in some areas. When it comes to writing, I highlight the keyparts. As for it being 2D or 3D? Well, I did actually have plans to make it 3D hence why I mentioned Ubisoft. The real reason why I won't create it from 3D to begin with is because this project isn't about me. It' not about doing a service for those who feel like Rayman fangames are good, but could always be better. No, it started off an idea (which is obviously due to how we both think alike with the "Idea-Guy", but the fact you showed me that article made me rethink things through. This project is recruiting those who want to make a Rayman fangame. It's not asking them to join because I have an idea & a story, like you said (can be done by anyone). This project is my creation that has been inspired by fans & Rayman / Ubisoft. I understand it's not your intention to discredit me, but this is a project that requires faith. Granted, I haven't given enough information to make anyone have a little faith in me. I don't want to make anyone do anything. I am simply sharing this with fans because it is for the Fans, and for anyone who enjoys platformers.
XBAlizE wrote:Rayman 4 had so much potential, but making it 3D would not do it justice.
In what way would a 3D game not do the concept justice, but making it 2D would? That seems pretty backwards to me. Making 2D games is fine and all, I just don't understand the justification. :P
Rayman 4 had much potential due to the amount of ideas & creative style it was goiong for. After looking through it & doing lots and lots of research; I found myself understanding the concept a lot more than I would have if I just said: "It's time to make a Rayman game, okay, where do I start?" I know where to start. Making it 3D wouldn't do it justice in my honest opinion as it's my opinion. I wasn't saying that everyone was going to agree with me, and you're right about how it sounds pretty backwards. However, it is my opinion and I intend on making a 3D Rayman game when I feel ready to do so. I've got a lot of experience working in Game Design, and I've also got a lot of experience from working in a team. Recruitment has always been something I've enjoyed as it builds up the most kind, respectful, and overall greatest team due to doing what we all love; creating something wonderful.
XBAlizE wrote:Game Engine
R_ToD1
What's that?
Originally, I was going to use an existing engine. R_ToD1 is an engine created by me that I've worked on for months in the past. This idea of mine was never something recent, I've been working on an engine, I've been creating ideas & writing down notes, I've scribbled some concept art. Everything is all on paper, and I guess I could share it with everyone on here. And I plan on doing so, but I need a larger amount of content to show how honest & truthful I am. As in, if I show you 1 image- you won't have much faith in me. If I show you a good amount of images with some organisation going on, you will see it as more "professional" which pays off due to earning more faith in me. The engine has a purpose, and that purpose is to be the beginning of what will develop into a full fledged Rayman game.
XBAlizE wrote:So, this allows me to create the first ever Toy-themed Level for Rayman fans
https://youtu.be/lq831GajwDw
Understood, it's not the first ever Toy-themed level for Rayman fans. But does anyone even care about "Rayman Raving Rabbids" ? I mean I heard from many fans & comments that Rayman Raving Rabbids is what ruined Rayman for them. And I don't plan on remembering a game that I never paid much interest for.
XBAlizE wrote:Nightmare Forest is just the polar opposite of "Dream Forest"- you can argue saying that its unoriginal, sounds stupid. But it doesn't sound unoriginal to me, it fits the criteria that is Tides of Dreams.
If you're aware that people might think it sounds unoriginal, then you've directly acknowledged its potential unoriginality to yourself. Again, that's fine, I just don't think it sounds good, and it "meeting the criteria" is probably the worst excuse you could give for holding onto something if you're aware of its flaws.
Being aware of its flaws is actually really important. As I've previously mentioned that "Nightmare Forest" is just the polar opposite of "Dream Forest". I'm aware that it is just an opposite, it's a flaw in itself. However, I've also mentioned that anytihng I share with you is subject to change. So, in that case- it fits its purpose. It's a prototype name with a prototype concept. I just don't see why you feel that people thinking it sounds unoriginal will directly acknowledge its potential unoriginality to myself. Meeting the criteria is also important, and you are right... it is a bad excuse for something if I'm aware of its flaws. Which is why after reading what you have mentioned, I'm planning on changing a few things. I've always seen flaws being turned into positives, and nothing shows this more than the documentaries of Video Game Designers. They talk about how some flaws can become positives by it serving a later purpose. It's the same with story creation, you can find yourself writing a great story, and end up making a mistake. That mistake could then look like a flaw, but you leave it in there for whatever reason. It may throw some people off your story, but the people then come up with "theroies". That's one way of looking at it, but I'm not going to defend this after what you have said. So, just so you know; I'm planning on rewriting & working through "Nightmare Forest" again. I'll update the thread soon! Thanks for your advice.
XBAlizE wrote:The difference is that due to Dark Rayman having a heavy influence in this world / plot- Picture City has become a little washed out. Rayman will be able to slip, slide, fall into rivers of ink that take him to different platforms. Rayman will be able to climb pencils before they fall
https://youtu.be/gB44XAzpmxU?t=1103
18:20 - 20:00 :?:
Again, you have made it clear to me that the idea isn't a new concept. But in all honesty, it was never a new concept to begin with. As for the whole washed out Picture City? Yeah, I guess you're right. Your project did do this first & it did serve its purpose. Okay, fine, but I won't admit that its a new concept.
I don't know if that was intentional or not, I just thought I'd point it out.
XBAlizE wrote:- Conveyor Belts (Slow / Slower / Fast / Faster)
When I reached this point I just had to wonder: What prompted you to list exactly four different speeds? I'm asking because I feel you've gone into an inordinate amount of detail in certain areas, areas that seem to personally interest you but mean little to anyone reading without context (such as how they would fit into the level). You've simply given us a list of features, which might sound cool to you since you can picture how they'll all work together in the end, but be careful not to project onto your audience.
I listed different speeds to give an idea how the level design might work. So, with that acknowledged, fans are left to be creative and think in their minds; "ooh, what would it be like with conveyor belts & different speeds"- it was simply added to create more imagination, but I wanted to share it with everyone due to it being an important feature. To me, conveyor belts in Rayman sound cool, and I know we have seen it more often with Rayman Origins / Legends. Even so, I still believe it's a concept that deserves some praise. Thanks for the advice again, and I understand that projecting onto my own audience is a bad idea. So, instead of just explaining it to my audience, I'm going to create some artwork concept art to show how it might look. Might even create an anmation too.
XBAlizE wrote:(...)Nothing too dark, just that overall theme of darkness from Rayman 2)
(...)(Surfing the tides of dreams)-similar to the experience from Rayman 3 - Hoodlum Havoc
(...)Taking a page from Rayman 1 or just (Rayman)- there will be two paths to choose from
(...)Hovering robots / inspired from Rayman 2's robot pirates
(...)I'm going to reintroduce a Level similar to the Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc level: Inside the Fairy Concil / Fairy Council
How come you're so keen on lifting gimmicks like this directly from other games? Rayman 2 was a a very different game from Rayman 1, and Rayman 3 was a very different game from Rayman 2. I'm personally more in favour of original concepts, especially after seeing games like Yooka-Laylee and A Hat In Time underperform for relying so much on nostalgia and failing to innovate even a little bit.
I'm keen on lifting gimmicks like previously mentioned directly from other games because it works. Why fix something that isn't broken? As for it being a throwback with nostalgia too. I thought of it like this; "old players, Rayman fans from 1996-2017", they would know some of these concepts. That way their brain would wire it easier than a newbie. A new player would play the game & feel that its all brand new. So, I know what you mean by what you have said before. And I'm working on fixing all these problems to the best possible outcome. Rayman 2 was a very different game from Rayman 1, and that's good. I mean it allowed Rayman 2 to breathe some fresh air into a concept that we thought we'd be replaying again. It fixes that problem with repetition as it introduced new ideas, new platforms, new hazards, new everything! I'm introducing new features, new platforms, new hazards, new ideas too. I'm just carrying over what existed before (not everything), but some features that fans-alike enjoyed. I don't really see it as a negative, but I can see it from your point of view. It's great that you have a different opinion on some things as it allows me to debate against you on my beliefs. Although, I am starting to see it clearer with how original concepts can work better. You're right, A Hat In Time & Yooka-Laylee under performed due to them wanting to capture that audience back. What they should have done is introduced new concepts & stopped trying to bring back the nostalgia just because they THINK they know their audience. I see it better after reading it instead of just thinking about it, so thank you very much for this advice & information. I'll take this on board, and I'll rewrite most of my thread (due to everything I've read so far inspiring me)

What is your Rayman game doing differently? What is it doing to captivate and challenge us in 2017?
You sure know what questions to ask, I like it a whole lot. You're right about asking these type of questions as even myself has written question-after-question, and I wanted to answer them all... I just didn't answer everything due to thinking that some of it would look boring to the audience. Anyways, I'll rewrite & add to the thread addressing your question, and I'll have a perfect suitable answer that should put your troubles at ease. Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams is going to captivate & challenge fans / the audience (I'll type all this up in the next 2 hours)
Why not just do it in Unity from the get-go? If you want this to be the grand, sweeping vision of Rayman 4 everyone's always wanted, GameMaker isn't going to cut it. To me it sounds like you simply don't know how to use Unity, and rather than learning what's necessary before beginning development, you're rushing in unprepared at the expense of your entire team who would have to remake the majority of the assets in the porting process because you didn't feel like learning what is by far the easiest to use "professional" game engine. This is pretty disrespectful to your developers, though I'm sure that wasn't your intention as you probably just don't understand what it's like to be in their shoes.
Starting it in Unity was my first thought before creating this thread to announce it being created in GMK instead. The reason I parted away from creating it in Unity is due to knowing that it will be much more difficult to find people who would want to work on a 3D project. I've had experience in the past from creating fangames alongside others, and it never turns out like a fully polished game. Most 3D fan-games have turned out more-or-less-so lacking. Now, you can argue that some 3D FanGames look polished, they look great, and the team doesn't seem to have any problems. Actually, it's different for all of us, but due to my experience of putting 100% effort & work into a project with a different team... It's never worked out, team broke up, team disbanded project, project cancelled due to team drama. Honestly, I've had a really bad experience in working with a recruited team on 3D concepts. 2D on the other hand has the same problems, but more-or-less, it seems that 2D games & 2D concepts form a better team. This is of course my own opinon & I'm not trying to push it out like its the truth. So, you're right in some regards, I just feel that from my own experience Rayman created in 3D form - Unity wouldn't work out for me or even the team I hire. And yes, I am aware I didn't mention making Rayman 2D in Unity (I could do this, and you know something? I even once attempted this in the past with an older game called: "Rayman Flux"- it was a 2D platformer with not much going on due to it being a prototype, but it did show to me that Rayman 2D can be created in Unity. I guess, I just don't want to work with Unity until I feel comfortable with creating another 2D game in Unity. There are many more options I could have chosen, but I chose GMK. In time this may change, and I don't expect the team to work 100% to get this all ported over, I'll be doing all that myself to take the stress off my own team.

I didn't find your words harsh at all, I've heard harsher words than that in my experience. So, haha, I like that you have created a sense of harshness that didn't really come across as harsh as you may have thought it would.
Lastly:
XBAlizE wrote:Apply Now (Currently Recruting)

What skills do you personally have? Again, I ask because you've jumped straight to recruiting people with nothing to show for your project other than a bunch of notes. In my opinion, a team leader needs to have at least some experience in or basic technical knowledge relating to most of the fields you just mentioned, otherwise they're unfit to oversee it. Additionally, consider the fact that you're asking people to work for free and that most people with even remotely serviceable skills aren't likely to give you their time for that sort of thing when you've shown them... nothing. Concepts and a story don't count for anything, because everyone has "ideas".
Looking back at this from reading your comment; you have made the strongest point against me. I am not going to argue back, as this is mistake on my own behalf. Sadly, I've screwed up by not mentioning what skills I have. Which is such a stupid thing to forget, and I don't have anything to defend myself with. There is one thing that doesn't really change the fact this has happened, but it does possibly answer how this could have happened. I suffer from TLE, which is known as "Temportal Lobe Epilepsy", I don't want to go into detail due to it being something that I haven't quite learned to live with yet... but to put it shortly- it creates a 2 minute space in time that I won't ever remember again. In those 2 minutes of writing (it could have happened), I'm not defending myself & blaming it on TLE, but I want you to be aware of that before thinking I've done this on purpose.

With that addressed for, I'd like to now go forward answering your question. My skills & experience all come from High School (Basic IT - Advanced)- (Learned some basic programming, different softwares, different engines, formats, Programming languages) - College (Advanced-Higher) Programming, video game creation courses (I didn't spend enough time on those courses due to some personal problems back at home)- College is where I have gained 65% of my experience as a Programmer hoping to become a Professional in the future. I've worked with Unity before on a team-joint project that was led by the IT worker who wanted to be our presentator. So, that explains some information about me. However, everything else I've learned from doing, making mistakes, self-taught myself to create games & also taken so much time working with others to learn from them while helping them too. So, to this day & my future- I am a self-taught programmer who intends on taking all this knowledge to the next level & attending a 2 year course on Video Game Creation (aka VGC) that's its title where I'm from. So, there is a whole lot more to learn, but this doesn't stop me from creating a game. Not at all, this just allows me to be as creative as I want to be and work with a team of hard working individuals who have faith in the project & if they want to be (I won't force them to) to have faith in me also.

I don't intend to sound harsh, mean, or even discouraging, I just care a lot, and I don't want anyone to allow themselves the arrogance to think that they, as a team leader and recruiter, can be the least experienced person on the team. Chances are that the kinds of people you're looking to recruit have done exactly what you haven't: learned to be self-sufficient through the knowledge that they have to be the ones to get their ideas off the ground. :mryellow:
As previously mentioned, I never saw any of your words as harsh. It was hard hitting, but it made me rethink a whole lot about this thread & the project itself. So, taking everything you have said on board is now going to be written up. I'm going to have it all in one place so I can learn from it, I can respect it & move forwards with creating Rayman 4 - Tides of Dreams. I don't intend to sound harsh, mean, or even discouraging either. It's great that you care a lot, it shows to me that you have a deeper passion for Rayman games & game creation as a whole. To me it also looks like you are telling me all this because you don't want me or anyone else to make a mistake that you may have made in the past? I could have read into it a little too far, (I'm sorry if I didn't get the message from that). They may very well be the chances, but it doesn't put me down. Far from it, it just makes me stand out to be a person of passion, and someone who isn't going to let words hurt him. They may have done exactly what I haven't, but that isn't going to stop me from forming a team & creating this project with or without them. I may not have said this before; but if I don't end up with a team by Mid-2018, I'm going to just start again & it's going to be a project created by me, alone. The reason I have this as back-up plan is because I'm prepared for whatever comes my way from this project. I'm not going to let this project die just because some people might be better than me at a certain skill. Overall, I appreciate everything you have responded with. You might just be the inspiration & motivation I've been needing since the moment I wrote this thread. Thank you, AdSolution. I hope your project goes well too. Maybe we will discuss this all again someday, but for now- I'm going to work on my project. And I hope you do the same as I know that not just myself, but you have a much larger audience to work with. Good luck once again, and I look forward to us talking again one day in the future.

- XBA

gamerz31w
Poilu
Tings: 520

Post by gamerz31w » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:28 pm

In 2D Ubisoft made Rayman 4 as Rayman Raving Rabidds above one decade ago on gba in 2D.So I user XBAlizE I want to suggest you Unity 3D,DirectX SDK,Cry Engine(choosing Roblox or game maker/game maker studio isn't very good idea),Unreal Engine 4,godot engine or Blender game Engine mode.You have very big choice to choose software in which you will start developing your fangame.

XBAlizE
Électoon

Post by XBAlizE » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:30 am

gamerz31w wrote:In 2D Ubisoft made Rayman 4 as Rayman Raving Rabidds above one decade ago on gba in 2D.So I user XBAlizE I want to suggest you Unity 3D,DirectX SDK,Cry Engine(choosing Roblox or game maker/game maker studio isn't very good idea),Unreal Engine 4,godot engine or Blender game Engine mode.You have very big choice to choose software in which you will start developing your fangame.
Unity 3D was already an option, and if you read the post above. ^^ You would have noticed that I mentioned porting to Unity. Now, due to some thinking; there is going to be some changes. I'll address these changes at a later date. Unreal Engine 4 was another option, but I won't be using it unless I reconsider & just start again with Unreal Engine 4. I know the pros & the cons of each engine, and I know which one would work best for this project. By the way: (Roblox shouldn't even be called an engine), it's a joke is what it is. And anyone who creates games using Roblox are just beginners, it's not impressive. However, calling game maker studio a bad idea is not correct. There has been some impressive games created using game maker studio, and many more that have taken it to new heights. Blender game engine was another possibility but I still need to talk through it. I know, and I appreciate the advice but I know what I'm doing, and I'm confident that the project will use whatever engine to the fullest. Thank you again, I apprecite it. I look forward to sharing it with you & the community.