RayUnite framework (Rayman 2/3 in Unity)

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
U2B
Tribelle
Tings: 285

RayUnite framework (Rayman 2/3 in Unity)

Post by U2B »

Rayman in Unity

[OUTDATED] Github: https://github.com/Spinu2b/Rayman-Unity

Hi all,

Some time ago I posted a thread in which I created sample level with Rayman 3 model. That walking animation was horrible xd Recently I got a motivation to do another project - this time I chose Rayman 2 model, due to simpler geometry and much simpler animations set (animations having only around 20-24 frames are neat concept), when compared to Rayman 3. My goal was to mimic Rayman 2 movement mechanics (as for now this does not include helicopter, shooting, climbing etc. - just running and jumping variants). When using Unity, this could be done in a much shorter amount of time - this is a great tool I must admit. I would like this little project to be some kind of a toy, starter for others who would like to make something with it (maybe their own fan game, who knows), so that does mean that I'm going to post this project source here later. Maybe I will go further with this and create some little game, we'll see. As for now animation transitions are little glitchy (you can see Rayman running in mid-air) ;p (I'm lazy person and stopped calibrating this only when I saw that it's roughly working :P)
Last edited by U2B on Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Rayman 2-like fan-game in Unity (my project)
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=25903
U2B
Tribelle

Re: Rayman 2 in Unity

Post by U2B »

Multipost, anyway, I added helicopter, music and some sound effects
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Post by Aaron »

Nice! Good luck on your project!
U2B
Tribelle

Post by U2B »

Thanks to szymski i was able to import original level geometry. So it's kinda reverse engineering of Rayman 2, now I can extend mechanics, manipulate physics, everything :D When it goes to some state, I'll post the project repository, might be useful for someone.
U2B
Tribelle

Post by U2B »

As I promised, here is the link to github repository :) Feel free to fork and play with it :) Any pull request will be welcome, would be great if we could do it together. If you have questions, feel free to ask them. Currently there are more Rayman animations to be fetched from the game, so the basic movement mechanics is what I'm focusing on right now.

https://github.com/Spinu2b/Rayman-Unity
U2B
Tribelle

Post by U2B »

I must admit I got a little lazy, but anyway, I imported another level - this time it's the bonus one. Set in night time. Mechanics has to be corrected, I didn't add anything new in terms of code, just playing around and doing new animation clips when I have time etc. I'm sorry for the framerate drop, I was trying to use OBS Studio to record this instead of free version of Fraps (which limits me to only half of a minute), I have to dig deeper. Also sorry for no moving sounds - adding new animation clips to model, yet not used anyway breaks the metadata of internal events in frames of animations; I also attach a presentation of so far recreated animations. Enjoy :D
Ambidextroid
Mini Jano
Tings: 675

Post by Ambidextroid »

This looks interesting, are you planning to port the whole game or is it just a bit of playing around? Either way good luck!
U2B
Tribelle

Post by U2B »

I got an idea that I can reverse engineer Rayman 2 as much as it is possible (rewrite game engine into Unity? who knows), with support from community, that's why I made my project open source. You can do anything with it, for example we might implement our own Rayman M with map editor itd. My dream is that we have our own Rayman source code that gives as a result some kind of approximation, if not the duplication, of the original game, and we can do anything with it. I didn't encounter that kind of a project before, so I decided to start my own, and share it with the community.
The idea is that I could write my own Rayman 2 level file format interpreter, the format is known thanks to szymski, it's just the matter of implementing all of the Rayman 2 entities with their respective behaviors (Plums, Lums, enemies itd.), and as a result we would get playable Rayman 2 levels we know and love ;p

Animations aren't that hard to recreate from the original game, it's just the stuff that needs to be done. We'll see where we get :)
CoffeeNeko
Gandalf
Tings: 4106

Post by CoffeeNeko »

It's looking really good, that's exactly what I've been dreaming about since some time now, thanks for making this!
Maybe you should give it a more appealing name, like "Rayman Fan Engine" or something like that idk. And do you think it'll be possible to add multiplayer like in Rayman M (local and maybe online)?
U2B
Tribelle

Post by U2B »

Yes, everything is possible, it's just the matter of actually doing it :) I'm bad at names ;p Currently I'm stuck at movement mechanics, I have to implement my own collision detections since colliders are not good enough and are very glitchy.
Harpic fraîcheur
Lums
Tings: 30

Post by Harpic fraîcheur »

This is really awesome!

You and mixerx did a great job already, thank you. :D
Une nouvelle vague de fraîcheur, Harpic fraîcheur verte ! :D
Image Image
Hakyra
Podocroc
Tings: 296

Post by Hakyra »

Hello! we are doing a full remake of rayman 2, in UE, but right now i'm using unity for ligthing purposes and to kinda see what we wanna do with the remake, can i use the source code to merge it with my prototype?

i haven't done anything with collisions and animations, so i thought that your work would save me a lot of time, THANK YOU!!
-Hakyra
U2B
Tribelle

Post by U2B »

Yes, you can use it for any purpose, just it would be nice if you gave me some credit, but it is not necessary :)
Hakyra
Podocroc
Tings: 296

Post by Hakyra »

I will :)
-Hakyra
SrRayman
Incrediball
Tings: 380

Post by SrRayman »

Seems promising.
sack lack back tack track pack wack rack knack
CuInRayman4
Lums Vert
Tings: 85

Post by CuInRayman4 »

I don't know if you are still working on this probably not which I could totally understand as someone doing some game dev myself... ^^ but never the less for what it is it's REALLY cool, I don't know how difficult this is to do in Unity as I never really worked with Unity a lot, but I loaded the project and played around with it a bit, did some modifications and it's a really good basis, the animations look very nice and fluid(I just read under a yt video that you did it by looking at the original R2 animations, which is cool) and the mechanics like movement and camera work really good. It's a really nice foundation overall, really glad it exists, now I would just need something like this for R3 :D I saw the an engine called Rayman 3.5, but the download was down sadly :P
U2B
Tribelle

Post by U2B »

Today I saw that first guy actually used these scripts, which makes me very glad :D My goal was to make starter for others and make that process easier. Would be nice if we had something similar with Rayman 3-like stuff (maybe I will do another starter project for R3, we'll see, but animations are more complex) :P

However the major issue here is mimic rest of Rayman movement mechanics, which is time consuming, but not impossible (it's simple trial and error approach that lets you callibrate all of this).

I don't work on this, I gave up when it came to implementing hanging on ledges, shooting, sidewalk and all other stuff ;p Maybe one day I'll come back to it, or wait till someone makes some fork and add missing mechanics. That would be really cool for the community, all dreams come true :D
U2B
Tribelle

Post by U2B »

Some updates, I got motivated again, thanks to antopilo, who managed to implement sidewalk and help me a little with movement mechanics bugs. Currently I recreated some of the shooting animations, they are not used however yet.

As for now code for this available here:
https://github.com/antopilo/RaymanRemake

12RayChienne9
Carnivora
Tings: 13017

Post by 12RayChienne9 »

U2B wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:41 pm Some updates, I got motivated again, thanks to antopilo, who managed to implement sidewalk and help me a little with movement mechanics bugs. Currently I recreated some of the shooting animations, they are not used however yet.

As for now code for this available here:
https://github.com/antopilo/RaymanRemake

It seems your fan project is pretty interesting. :mrgreen:

I would like to try it someday...
gamerz31w
Ptizêtre Vert
Tings: 1365

Post by gamerz31w »

Really impressive and amazing work.