Rayman Redemption

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

The Jonster
Bétilla
Tings: 82015

Re: Rayman Redemption

Post by The Jonster »

Nice! Hope you have fun playing! :D
PluMGMK wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:34 pm
There's definitely something up with that helicopter. It feels much more difficult to get out of falling to your death. Pressing the button just before you fall off the screen doesn't seem to cut it anymore...

Is it programmed more like Rayman 2's version, I wonder?
I think it's more like Rayman 3's version, since you have to hold the button for him to glide infinitely. In Rayman 2 iirc you just have to press the button once for him to glide. I've gotten pretty used to the change, either super or otherwise myself given the number of times I've attempted Mr. Stone's Peaks...
Life happens. Just gotta roll with it!
Steo wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:05 pm

^ reminds me of mixing up directions and breaking the forum. :lol:

Steo
Globox Origins
Tings: 191782

Post by Steo »

Ah nice, yeah maybe it was a bug in an earlier version then. :)

As for the helicopter, I guess it takes longer for Rayman to start ascending compared to the original game. It's a bit off putting in some ways since he will rise way too far then once he starts to actually ascend.
GLOBOX MOMENT!
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687

Aaron
Froutch
Tings: 66778

Post by Aaron »

The Jonster wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:02 pm
Nice! Hope you have fun playing! :D
PluMGMK wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:34 pm
There's definitely something up with that helicopter. It feels much more difficult to get out of falling to your death. Pressing the button just before you fall off the screen doesn't seem to cut it anymore...

Is it programmed more like Rayman 2's version, I wonder?
I think it's more like Rayman 3's version, since you have to hold the button for him to glide infinitely. In Rayman 2 iirc you just have to press the button once for him to glide. I've gotten pretty used to the change, either super or otherwise myself given the number of times I've attempted Mr. Stone's Peaks...
Thanks! I myself am glad to finally be able to play this game properly now without my progress being lost. :)

Also, another thing I like a lot about this game so far is the Darktoon battle and its music.

The Jonster
Bétilla

Post by The Jonster »

I actually find the Darktoon battle and its musi fun and whimsical. At least with that guy I won't have to expect anything out of nowhere.
Steo wrote:

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 561374

Post by Hunchman801 »

#Rubber mark# wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:42 pm
I like it all, except maybe for the super helicopter mechanics? They definitely feel different from the original game, as if there was some added momentum.
Now you mention it, I did struggle with the super helicopter a lot more than in the original. The rest of the controls feel completely identical though, except of course for the unlimited regular helicopter.

THEdragon
Musicien
Tings: 47505

Post by THEdragon »

Absolutely stellar fangame! I can safely say that Rayman Redemption has gotten me back into Rayman after a couple years away. I am particularly pleased with how you balanced the Space Mama and Mr Skops boss fights. In the original, Space Mama was exceedingly difficult and Mr Skops was far too easy for a penultimate boss battle, but in Redemption the fight with Space Mama is much more fair while Mr Skops is a bit more of a challenge. Also, the music in the first Playtopia level is really, really good.
When you defeat nine antitoons with one punch!

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3885

Post by PluMGMK »

"You've saved the world! New items unlocked in the shop." kinda reminds me of Selma Bouvier's parting words to Sideshow Bob ("You tried to kill me! I want a separation.") :lol:

Rayrobi
Clark
Tings: 115135

Post by Rayrobi »

Hi guys, (sorry for the wall of text)

Just wanted to share my feelings about this game. Raymanni (and the other people who made the game), you are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I was SO HYPED about this game when I noticed it just last Monday, it was hard to wait until its release. I've played through the game almost 100%, and I LOVED IT. It's SO faithful to the original, mainly gameplay-wise, I can only imagine how much work it must have been to mimick everything so well.

So, some of my thoughts about some of the things in the game. (It's mostly feedback, kind of like a review, don't know if I need spoiler tags, but better safe than sorry)
  • First off, the level design is great. The new levels definitely live up in quality to the originals The dark Playtopia level is a standout, it was so spooky in a way, especially with that music, and also the Lava level in the Caves of Skops is kind of unique. Also, I really loved some of the alterations of existing levels, especially The Swamps of Forgetfulness part 3, I really like how it's made bigger, it's just fun to explore; Bongo Hills part 1, I like how you combined the PC and PS1 versions; Eat at Joe phase 3, the fact that's it now dark, and illuminated with light bulbs gives it a creepy atmosphere. There were a few difficulty spikes though, first, the Mr. Stone boss fight (which I've figured out how to beat eventually, so not really), but Space Mama's Crater phase 1, the area with the red rings that take you to a secret area halfway through the level, it's REALLY difficult to swing from the red rings to the pink ones, and it doesn't help that falling means death there, and Tasty Reception, the area where you have to swing from pink rings ABOVE forks. It was really tricky even for me, because if you jump too early, you won't jump high enough, but if you don't jump, you'll swing straight into the fork. Don't know if they've been changed with an update, as I haven't replayed them since version 1.0.0.
  • Gameplay is top notch. Controls feel very close to the original. Also, I did observe that difficulty ramps up a lot more steadily (in the original, Bongo Hills used to be a nightmare, and Picture City was just really unfair), and it also helps that you can have health upgrades + the red Powerball upgrade, so gameplay feels a lot more fair. Also, the Rainbow fist powerup is very creative, and it created to interesting (and difficult) puzzles. Though life statues reappearing makes the game WAY easier, as one can just play e.g. Pink Plant Woods over and over again and grind lives, which effectively makes Classic mode as easy as Casual mode, so I think this should be changed.
  • The new music I mostly enjoyed. Some of them were a bit odd (the music in the Toy world level with the doors was kind of harsh and repetitive), or a bit too quiet, but these I really enjoyed: Moskito's Nest phase 1, the Blue Mountains (the one which is kind of sad), the Musician's song (it gave the level a nice calming atmosphere), the Darktoon fight, the Menace fight, and also the remix of the Child world from Raving Rabbids GBA is SO GOOD.
  • The boss fights are AMAZING. They are a lot more varied now with bosses having more kinds of attacks and mixing them up. Space Mama's last fight kind of became kind of easy now, but it's still a good one. Also, the Mr. Dark boss fight. I WISH it was this epic in the original. First, the new boss combinations are creative, and the fact that you actually fight Mr Dark is just really cool. Especially since it's REALLY CHALLENGING and he has cool and varied attacks. (He also has more personality now that he talks to you more, and really conveys a dark, evil vibe). And here I thought this would be the end, and I'm glad I was wrong, because the Bad Rayman / Dark Moskito boss fight, and the second Mr Dark fight were SO EPIC. (Nice touch that Mr. Dark flees to that huge gift box in the sky, so it actually has a purpose :mrgreen: )
  • Other things I haven't mentioned: The characters have a lot more personality now that they talk, the costumes are nice to have, Moskito levels I found really fun (even though I would have liked them to be longer), all of the collectables like cages are cleverly hidden (while also removing *some* of the cheaply hidden gendoor-based ones) the bonus levels are also much more fun because of their level design, the extra decorative elements like the self-playing violins, the mini-saxophone tree, or the Rayman-snowman make the levels more lively too.
A few minor things, the Ting Magnet should have an option to be disabled, as it makes an achievement unobtainable and also, I would have liked an option to disable achievement notifications, as it distracts from such moments as defeating a tough boss. I also found the ting counter a bit odd to be in the bottom left, but maybe that's just me.

This game has been a great experience for me. So thank you for making this game, you guys rock! :hap:

Also, the last 2 bonus levels: JESUS HELL WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING?! I mean, I love challenge, and these are challenging, but... my god :waaahhh:

The Jonster
Bétilla

Post by The Jonster »

I bet I know exactly which achievement you're talking about (Bad Tings). The Ting Magnet can be disabled by going to options and then turning shop bonuses to off iirc.

I really love the influences Ryemanni took from other Rayman games when he made Redemption (the musician's song actually was taken from the gba version of R1). I can't wait to finish the rest of this game (still on Candy Chateau). :D
Steo wrote:

Steo
Globox Origins

Post by Steo »

There's been another update. Version 1.05.

Code: Select all

Fixes:

-Optional timer wouldn't appear correctly in some boss stages

-Various visual animation errors

-Rare chance that Mr Dark would stop attacking after the game is paused

-Level layout related softlock in playtopia level 2

-Classic camera wouldn't follow the player properly when jumping off of rings

-Dark Rayman cheat related crash

-Flood stone ledge zip

-Default windows cursor being visible
Download link

Patch only
GLOBOX MOMENT!
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

Aaron
Froutch

Post by Aaron »

Ah thanks! :)

This unfortunately means for me though that I'm gonna have to start the game from scratch again (it's not that big of a problem since the last level I had completed was Anguish Lagoon, but still, having to restart a lot is frustrating because it prevents progress from being made).

Steo
Globox Origins

Post by Steo »

Nah the save carries over. ;)
GLOBOX MOMENT!

Aaron
Froutch

Post by Aaron »

Oh wait! I actually read what you wrote in your last post (Patch only), I think what happened is when I saw the word "patch" I instantly went 'oh no' since last time I installed a patch, the game went with it and without it, you couldn't get the patch. My bad. :fou:

PluMGMK
Pizzicatta
Tings: 3885

Post by PluMGMK »

I wanna agree with some of what Rayrobi said, so I'm gonna see if I can spoiler a whole post including quotes… EDIT: Nope, that doesn't work!
Rayrobi wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:18 am
Though life statues reappearing makes the game WAY easier, as one can just play e.g. Pink Plant Woods over and over again and grind lives, which effectively makes Classic mode as easy as Casual mode, so I think this should be changed.
I personally prefer the first section of the Swamps of Forgetfulness. Also, I was actually kinda glad each time I died in the first Bad Rayman level, since the two life statues actually netted me an increase of one life for each death! :P
Rayrobi wrote:
and the fact that you actually fight Mr Dark is just really cool.
Somehow I get the feeling that this is why the game is called Redemption – it finally redeems the original game from having such a let-down ending!
Rayrobi wrote:
(He also has more personality now that he talks to you more, and really conveys a dark, evil vibe).
I also agree with this. Tbh I found it chilling to hear such dialog from a character I've known nearly as long as I can remember, but of course it makes perfect sense that Mister Dark talks and thinks like that.

The Jonster
Bétilla

Post by The Jonster »

Downloaded the update last night and finished the game!.....almost. I still got one more level, and I took some time to play some of the challenges. I can say for sure that the powerup challenges are the most challenging of the 3 basic types. Thankfully you don't lose lives, and in those challenges, you don't have a time limit unlike the other 2 types. I also found a certain minigame challenge though, that a was very clear reference to R:DMROT, and i really enjoyed that one. :)
Steo wrote: