Rayman: Revenge of the Dark

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Re: Rayman: Revenge of the Dark

Post by Adsolution »

Reviewerbot-32 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:34 am If you don't mind me asking, how do you find the incentive to keep going after all this time?
I've always wanted to create this game, no question. I started drawing it out when I was 8 in a sketchbook when we lived in a trailer, it's not going anywhere!
Elite Piranha wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:11 amI think they're great ideas, however I don't know if Globox being laugh at because of his skin is necessary IMO. Maybe Rayman was the one that encouraged Globox to learn the rain dance, however I wonder who actually taught him to do that (maybe Ly or a Teensie?).
It's not really an allegory for racism, if that's what you were thinking, since it happens due to his own faults (re: the Origins relic). His blue skin is only representative of his biggest blunder to date no one will forget.
PluMGMK wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:33 pmSo you guys are using that "Globox was originally red" plot point? I wasn't sure how seriously that was meant to be taken, especially since we see hundreds of blue baby Globoxes in Rayman 2. But then maybe that's another stage in the lifecycle you mentioned (right after tadpole)? :D
I like a lot of the Origins relic stories people tend to throw away - there's something simple and charming about them. They're odd, almost seemingly random, but so French in the same way I find all of Rayman to be, and I really enjoy hearing these kinds of bizarre answers to such simple questions in Rayman's world, because its creation process isn't practical - Polokus' dreams could have spent an inordinate amount of time in one useless area just by whim of it being a dream - and he never learned how to do it lucidly apparently - so lots of worlds and their societies that learned to function in Rayman's world do so through almost... no practical means. Just bizarre means.

A couple more tiny update videos I already uploaded a bit ago, I guess:

Arnarion
Ptizêtre Gothique
Tings: 3105

Post by Arnarion »

The quality of that swinging test video gave me shivers. I just can't wait to find out more about the game!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✧✧✧✧✧ As time flows, so do I ✧✧✧✧✧
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Post by Aaron »

Yeah, I love all these updates on the game's progress, especially how they're all in video form. Also, I love that swinging mechanic! :D
thecraftinatorx
Créature
Tings: 335

Post by thecraftinatorx »

Thank you for giving updates!! Great work :D
paulnewman2001
Otto Psi
Tings: 6360

Post by paulnewman2001 »

Well, there's a theory which tells that some of Rayman's adventures take place in different universes which were created by Polokus himself. This could explain Rayman's different, somewhat crazy personality in Origins, Legends and him being on Earth in Raving Rabbids games, this could also explain Globox's red skin's colour. Rayman 1-3 seem to be connected to each other the most beacuse of multiple references in there. However, it's just a theory, Ubi just probably doesn't care about continuity that much (me neither, honestly :)).
Last edited by paulnewman2001 on Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arnarion
Ptizêtre Gothique
Tings: 3105

Post by Arnarion »

If I were to create a Rayman game, it would be a continuation of the Great Escape, along with an expanded lore, slightly more darkness, old enemies and characters and loads of mysteriously themed levels, like the jungles with long lost ruins, levels like the Sanctuary of Water and Ice, stuff like that. Rayman 2 has so much potential that could be tapped into. The backstory of Rayman in Origins is also a great one to use. Rayman is some eons old sacred guardian.

But Adsolutions's overall concept is also awesome! Mr Dark deserved more attention.

I wish I had it in me to dedicate myself to making such a game. You can kind of see the ideas coming through in my Rayman art.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✧✧✧✧✧ As time flows, so do I ✧✧✧✧✧
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Impressive! I just feel that the camera changes too abruptly whenever Rayman hangs onto those... well, whatever they are. It could probably be smoothed out with a transition, but maybe it's still WIP?
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

paulnewman2001 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:23 pm Well, there's a theory which tells that some of Rayman's adventures take place in different universes which were created by Polokus himself. This could explain Rayman's different, somewhat crazy personality in Origins, Legends and him being on Earth in Raving Rabbids games, this could also explain Globox's red skin's colour. Rayman 1-3 seem to be connected to each other the most beacuse of multiple references in there. However, it's just a theory, Ubi just probably doesn't care about continuity that much (me neither, honestly :)).
I like that theory! I was going for something similar myself, though I wasn't meaning to explain any major lore differences with it, since I love exploring satisfying ways of reconciling the differences between Rayman 1 and 2's tone and world.
hoodlumsworld wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:41 pm Impressive! I just feel that the camera changes too abruptly whenever Rayman hangs onto those... well, whatever they are. It could probably be smoothed out with a transition, but maybe it's still WIP?
Definitely still WiP. I just uploaded the first thing I thought was passably functional. :mryellow:
paulnewman2001
Otto Psi

Post by paulnewman2001 »

This gave me an idea, how about some different skins as an extra feature after beating the game, what do you think, Adsolution? Would be pretty cool to play as Rayman from 3 or RR, but each of them could differ from each other in some way, Ray 3 could deal more damage than his (presumably) younger self for example but he wouldn't have the ability to shoot orbs maybe? (this could definetely lead to a small problem with swinging on lums but Rayman could maybe use lockjaw to grab them, Rayman 3 cover shows him with it without blue powerup) and RR one could shoot plungers and such, the only problem would be seeing these skins in cutscenes but you could just keep your Ray in them, I know that it might take away from overral tone and it would take couple more hours to implement something like that so it's up to you, just a suggestion :mrgreen: And also I've recently listened to your Rayman-Rhook conversation from 2012 on soundcloud and it sounds quite good, I especially like Rayman, different take on char compared to what we've seen in 2 and 3, David Gasman's voice sounded IMO pretty cool in 3 but didn't fit in 2 at all (most of them didn't to be honest, lol). Seeing his emotional side would certainly be a breath of fresh air.
Pipann
Bzzit
Tings: 58710

Post by Pipann »

Skins are what just what the name implies: they only change visuals, not abilities or stats. And that's honestly not necessary either. Still, I'm down to create unlockable skins. I've always wanted to try my hand at a HD R3 model
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Retrofuge
Reflux
Tings: 8045

Post by Retrofuge »

Oh, cool. It's nice to see this game being updated again. I like the last few updates you made in the last few weeks. Hope you can keep up the good work.

I exist, just finding stuff of interest.
paulnewman2001
Otto Psi

Post by paulnewman2001 »

Pipann wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:41 pm Skins are what just what the name implies: they only change visuals, not abilities or stats. And that's honestly not necessary either. Still, I'm down to create unlockable skins. I've always wanted to try my hand at a HD R3 model
Yeah, you're right, it wouldn't be necessary to make them different power and abilities wise, it's better to forget what I said, got carried away :lol: , Ray 3 HD skin would be rad, and also, his fat skin from 2 when you choose to take the treasure would be hilarious, especially during combat :mryellow:
Czele
Antitoon
Tings: 15

Post by Czele »

Happy new 2021 year everyone!
Rudie Radio Waves
Photographe
Tings: 420

Post by Rudie Radio Waves »

Wowie, going through 413 pages of ROTD developement took a while, but man, the current quality of it is insane.
Godspeed to all the team and great job getting this far!
I draw here: rudieradiowaves.newgrounds.com
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

You actually read it all? I'm sure there was a fair share of shitposting in there, but still, I'm impressed!
Rudie Radio Waves
Photographe
Tings: 420

Post by Rudie Radio Waves »

Hunchman801 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:33 pm You actually read it all? I'm sure there was a fair share of shitposting in there, but still, I'm impressed!
Yeah I did spot quite a few shitposts and proto-memes. People unironically saying "awesomesauce" and "lulz"... it's very nostalgic. What a ride.

I remember I actually came across this very topic in like... 2012? The first post still had the complete character list and the old logo; it's still on the Internet Archive. Again, it's crazy seeing how everyone has come this far.
I draw here: rudieradiowaves.newgrounds.com
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

Yeah, reading old posts here can make you feel quite nostalgic! The internet has changed a lot, for better or worse. :)
Pipann
Bzzit
Tings: 58710

Post by Pipann »

Remember these guys?

Yeah!

LET'S MAKE THEM WAY WORSE!
Attachments
3dsmax_VHZZvkXtsY.jpg
3dsmax_VHZZvkXtsY.jpg (770.29 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ