Rayman: Revenge of the Dark

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
paulnewman2001
Otto Psi
Tings: 6360

Re: Rayman: Revenge of the Dark

Post by paulnewman2001 »

Great!, would be neat if this game had some kind of Amnesia level jumpscares, it'd raise the anxiety while going around areas filled with Zombie Chickens.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

Great job here, they look (and sound) really creepy. I especially like how they're about as fast as Rayman, if not slightly faster, which makes the chase quite harrowing.
Pipann
Bzzit
Tings: 58710

Post by Pipann »

That's a very old video, actually! It used the old model to the left of the screenshot. I was linking back to it to show how even back then it was spooky! I'm sure the same mechanics will be applied, but now the model is going to be extra spicy.

Also, since many of the model's bones (as in actual bones, not the animation variant) are separate objects, we're gonna be able to make different variations of the character with missing parts, such as removing the jaw, some ribs, an arm or even the pelvis. If I add one. :)

By the way, I'm happy to take in feedback on the overall look of this guy, so don't hesitate to tell me how you all feel about it!
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
TTK
Poilu
Tings: 2035

Post by TTK »

You know that Rayman 2 N64 intro remake you did? Well I remastered it!
Original : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEC8kgKh1Do
Anguish & Pain.mp3
(2.48 MiB) Downloaded 139 times
Hope you like it!

Could you upload the Ending drums from that Rayman 2 N64 intro remake you did, so I could use them? Thanks.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Pipann wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:47 pm By the way, I'm happy to take in feedback on the overall look of this guy, so don't hesitate to tell me how you all feel about it!
I like it a lot too!
Arnarion
Ptizêtre Gothique
Tings: 3105

Post by Arnarion »

Oooh, this game is going to be an absolute treat! I got chills of excitement from that zombie chicken footage!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✧✧✧✧✧ As time flows, so do I ✧✧✧✧✧
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

The Zombie Chickens are looking great! Maybe there could be one that is bigger and uglier than the rest, that can serve as a mini-boss.
Pipann
Bzzit

Post by Pipann »

Funny that you should say that, because I was actually thinking about a larger, boss-like zombie chicken! I just hadn't discussed the idea yet with Ads. I could definitely look into making one after this one's completed.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Speaking of bosses, have you decided on some of them already?
Pipann
Bzzit

Post by Pipann »

So far we have at least one with the design and most of the fight sequences for it planned out. But I can't say any more than that! I really want for it to remain a secret until people experience it first-hand.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Great progress! You have all my support on this. :D
Pipann
Bzzit

Post by Pipann »

In other news: Sculptris is free but it's been discontinued a while now and has huge limitations to the point it would crash often, so I bought a permanent license for ZBrushCore, from the same developers. Like its name implies, it only has the core tools of Zbrush to work with but it makes up for that with a significantly cheaper pricetag. It's still a bit of a hole out of my wallet but it'll be worth the investment I feel, not just for the much higher polycount cap but also for its slightly more advanced options and more brushes in comparison to Sculptris. I'm also just not a huge fan of subscriptions, so the fact it has a perpetual license is nice to see. I'm doing some practice with it right now. Doesn't look like much just yet but I'm having fun while also getting used to this ballsy UI. Took a few google searches to even find the export to OBJ feature but after that, importing it into Max went off without a hitch.
Attachments
ZBrushCore_q8W7EFgyno.jpg
ZBrushCore_q8W7EFgyno.jpg (482.49 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Great that you were able to find a better tool! I think is result is perfect for the game.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Btw, I found this recently and I'm amazed of how good it looks:

https://smashboards.com/attachments/ly-png.51355/

I would love to see a wallpaper with characters in this style.
Pipann
Bzzit

Post by Pipann »

Another fun coincidence! I was actually giving ZbrushCore a serious attempt some time back by sculpting Ly's head. Has a very nice quality to it. I'm particularly fond of the nose I gave her.

So far from what I've seen, Zbrush is a very powerful tool and it excels at what it does, but unfortunately the pervasive limitations of Core became apparent very quickly. I was very excited to learn it had a remesh tool (basically creates low-poly models with good topology much faster, meaning I don't have to do it all manually), until I discovered the Core version of it is literally only a single button. No advanced options for things such as perserving sharp edges and other important details, so it's hard to get a good result. :pfff:

Then, a friend pointed out to me that Blender can be a good alternative. I went and tried it for a little while. Blender's sculpting mode is definitely very competent, but I still think I may buy ZbrushCore again (I had requested a refund just in case Blender worked out for me, I was still on my 30-day money back guarantee) and look into saving up for Zbrush in full. It's just about $900 for a perpetual license, unless you own Core in which case about 180 is shaven off, but discovering how powerful Core is despite its limitations and the developers constantly improving on their software while keeping it all familiar and not shuffling everything around (looking at Blender here), I think it's worth the investment. In fact, having a tool this powerful has made me feel more confident about the possibility of offering 3D commissions. If I can get that off the ground, I may be able to afford Zbrush that much quicker.

Just, sculpting is really really fun. It makes me feel like I've rediscovered the fun of creating art again.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Pipann wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:26 pm Another fun coincidence! I was actually giving ZbrushCore a serious attempt some time back by sculpting Ly's head.
Do you know if there is a bigger version of this image?, I can't find the original post.
Pipann
Bzzit

Post by Pipann »

It might be hanging around in this topic somewhere, since that's where it originated from. I can say though that I worked on the texture for that model. Can also tell we could do her a lot more justice this time around.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

I kept searching and was able to find the original post. I tried using Google before, but I guess it didn't work because the image that I found in smashboards was cropped. Too bad that the old imageshack links don't work anymore, I wish I was able to download some of the wallpapers.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

This is very impressive, hope you can get the full version soon if it makes such a difference!
MisterDark'sFanClub
Céloche
Tings: 7890

Post by MisterDark'sFanClub »

I'm really glad to see Revenge of the Dark is still going strong! What stage is it in?
"You're fragile, too. But at least you can be put back together." ~Mr. Dark (Shadows of Magic AU)