Rayman ReDesigner

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

ChronicTraitor
Knaaren
Tings: 5690

Re: Rayman ReDesigner

Post by ChronicTraitor »

Just fought my way through Rocky Peaks, it was a lot more difficult than I remember it being! It's one of my favorites because it's difficult, though. Some of the GBC worlds are way too easy. I play the GBC versions of the levels by default and look at the others out of curiosity.

The new skin looks great btw, and maybe I'm immune or deaf but the music doesn't bother me at all. I think it fits the perilous level design pretty well. The grayscale one has a very empty feeling about it though, it's really eerie! The pocket pc one is my favorite, it looks gorgeous! :coeur:

Looking forward to Ancient Forest's release in the summer! It's another favorite of mine...At this point I should just say that every gbc world's "my favorite" and leave it at that, eh? :winkgrin:
Rayman Saturn
Robot Ninja
Tings: 3255

Post by Rayman Saturn »

Guess I should give some news! Ancient Forest and everything else is cancelled :hap: ... is making very good progress and I don’t have that much work left to do! Funnily enough, it took me less time than Rainy Forest! Probably because I didn’t have to worry about making new graphics for it just so it could work! :confus:

Only the first level really gave me troubles because of the Flying Rings not behaving in the same way and since I had to find a proper replacement for the "Fuffies" (the weird creatures which blow air on you and which allows you to make great jumps). I replaced them with the Spring platforms from the R2 prototype, so it achieves the same main function (even though you don’t have to punch it to make it work and it cannot blow you to the sides as it originally did) while making the level far more dynamic. On the other hand, it takes away some of the challenge (as it forced you to time your jumps properly) and it makes the bonus levels into a total breeze, but I’ll say it’s only more fun this way.
As for the Rings, I had to replace a Red Ring with a Pink one moving downwards as it was the only way to give it the proper speed (otherwise you would get hit by the spikes no matter what)! A few tiles changes were also required, but everything is very accurate otherwise.

Capture d’écran (15171).png
Capture d’écran (15171).png (56.12 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Capture d’écran (15172).png
Capture d’écran (15172).png (44.27 KiB) Viewed 305 times
So far, I’ll say it’s the best GBC world in ReDesigner! Not only does it look good (and sounds good enough for once :noel: ), but it plays amazingly well! Sure, it’s a bit too simple like the Rainy Forest as it doesn’t have many enemies and obstacles, but the level design ideas and the overall pacing may be some of the best in the entire game! It really flows very well, especially with ReDesigner’s more dynamic gameplay!
I really don’t get why I found this world "boring" and "confusing" when I originally played it on Game Boy... probably because it’s the redundant forest theme again, and the narrower screen and weird mechanics with the Fuffies didn’t make it work that well on this system, I guess...
Although I’m still confused about some weird ideas like a health power-up in the first level which disappears if you "have the nerve" to activate the Gendoor which spawns the first Cage, or the second bonus level which is only accessible by bypassing the Exit Sign (which isn’t very easy to do considering how it’s placed) in the second section and then jumping in the chasm behind it... aBsOlUtE gEnIuS! :fou2:

Capture d’écran (15189).png
Capture d’écran (15189).png (45.96 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Capture d’écran (15190).png
Capture d’écran (15190).png (50.5 KiB) Viewed 305 times
But my biggest surprise is that besides the replacement of the Blowing Fuffy and the fact that Red Flying Rings immediately start falling rather than having a little second of "getting ready", everything in the level is the closest it’s ever been to the original game!
Playing both the 3DS port and the ReDesigned recreation after the other, I didn’t feel a difference besides the aforementioned changes and the fact you can go much faster! I really didn’t think the end result would feel this accurate!
Even most of the things I thought didn’t work properly (like the Ting nearly impossible to grab in the beginning’s vertical part with the "Red" Flying Ring or the "corner of doom" from Section 2 in which you can get stuck and die if you didn’t trigger a certain Gendoor) work just like they did in the original!

Capture d’écran (15193).png
Capture d’écran (15193).png (45.56 KiB) Viewed 305 times

And yes, I still didn’t have the time to update or complete any other ReDesigner level... Guess I’ll finish them by late 2223 when I’m finally done with all the GBC remake projects! :hap:

ChronicTraitor wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:31 pm Just fought my way through Rocky Peaks, it was a lot more difficult than I remember it being! It's one of my favorites because it's difficult, though. Some of the GBC worlds are way too easy. I play the GBC versions of the levels by default and look at the others out of curiosity.

The new skin looks great btw, and maybe I'm immune or deaf but the music doesn't bother me at all. I think it fits the perilous level design pretty well. The grayscale one has a very empty feeling about it though, it's really eerie! The pocket pc one is my favorite, it looks gorgeous! :coeur:

Looking forward to Ancient Forest's release in the summer! It's another favorite of mine...At this point I should just say that every gbc world's "my favorite" and leave it at that, eh? :winkgrin:
Yeah, Rocky Peaks is definitely the first world to actually give some real challenge, especially since the previous ones in the original game only had some difficulty because of the old controls and some other limitations! ^^

QUICK! Extract some cells from this person! We must understand how these ears can withstand the immeasurable destructive power of such unfathomably powerful ultrasounds! :paranormal: :hap:
Just Kidding Rowling! I guess the music is just a "me thing" since I also complain about how dreadfully painful the soundtrack of Rayman Advance can be while I see other people who actually like it! I suppose it’s also the result of having to hear the themes with the higher volume for dozens of minutes while I was testing everything as I talked about... But yes, it’s indeed pretty fitting and it also sounded a bit better when playing with no headphones on the original hardware.

Every world is the best in its own way after all! Hope Ancient Forest will bring you even more good times! :)
Sorry for the late answer by the way, I should have replied to this way earlier! :oops2:

And speaking of Pocket PC beauty, the Ancient Forest version of it is quite a majestic one when it comes to the better details... but you’ll all have to wait for the world’s release to witness it! :noel:
Vive Rayman et les prunes !:angel:

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

It's time to Rock 'n' Run!
ChronicTraitor
Knaaren

Post by ChronicTraitor »

Rayman Saturn wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:13 pm Sorry for the late answer by the way, I should have replied to this way earlier! :oops2:
Ah that's not a problem, sometimes I forget to check if my posts get replied to, so I'm just as sorry! :oops2:

Ancient Forest is lookin good, and I often wondered why it was there as a kid too. Nowadays I have a fondness for it though, since it's a lot more interesting than Rainy Forest at least! It's definitely got an interesting atmosphere going for it with all those huge statues and ruins. All the rings and spikes certainly make it quite the reflex test, too! If we're talking forests, I never knew what to really make out of Arcane Forest's graphics, it's kind of a mess from what I remember.
Rayman Saturn wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:13 pm QUICK! Extract some cells from this person! We must understand how these ears can withstand the immeasurable destructive power of such unfathomably powerful ultrasounds! :paranormal: :hap:
:lol: I like to imagine I gained some sort of immunity to the high notes since it was all I had, so I'd best get used to it and enjoy it! :winkgrin:

I eventually got Rayman 2 (PS1) and RRR1 (PS2/Steam), so it's no longer the only Rayman game I have. I remember playing all the GBA games too, but Rayman Advance was too much for my ears to handle. :boon:

I've never seen the Pocket PC Ancient Forest (nor the rest of the game in that format) so I'm definitely looking forward to that!
Rayman Saturn
Robot Ninja

Post by Rayman Saturn »

And here it is! The Ancient Forest just has been made young again! :mrgreen:

Download: https://raydistributor.com/content/RAY-D5F7-YX

A small but fun world made of three levels and two bonuses! As we already discussed, it’s not very challenging especially with some changes I had to make, but this is one of the most well-paced GBC worlds!
It also has a lot of focus on big jumps, Flying Rings and on thorns (which look very similar to the ones made for Dark Legacy in Rayman Redemption and ReDesigner), so be careful not to fall into those spikes or into some chasms!

It doesn’t have much special stuff (aside from a few things like the first Red Rings or the Tall Livingstone finally brought to ReDesigned instead of the small ones so the Plums can affect them), but it’s a nice classic experience!
Once again, the assigned number of the bonus levels is swapped (as it is revealed on Ray1Map), but it doesn’t change anything in gameplay.
By the way, don’t be surprised by the Magician hat in the second level which is placed on a Fairy. The original Sign to this bonus level floats a bit in the air and so that was the only way to replicate it properly. It’s also more convenient as it dramatically reduces the chances of you accidentally opening the bonus level again, especially since the spawn point had to be placed very close to the Magician in order to trigger the Gendoor required to go back to the Exit Sign of this level.

Regarding version differences, I haven’t noticed anything different between them aside maybe from a slightly differently placed platform near the end of the second level of the Palm OS Color version. It’s really the most consistent it’s been until now! Even the Greyscale port wasn’t screwed up, somehow. :hap:
So, most of the changes come from this recreation as I had to modify a few tiles in the first level so it could work better. The unchanged tiles were brought back in the two Palm OS variations, however.
Visually, it’s also more consistent as even the Greyscale port managed not to be a complete disaster! It’s still harder to play it because of the lack of colours and it looks the worst as usual, but I’m impressed by how much they managed to retain the details of the totems and pillars in that one! But of course, Pocket PC and Palm OS Color are still the best by far!
The music is also great in every version (after all, they’re masterworks all you can’t go wrong with the theme of the Woods of Light)! I’ll say the GBC music sounds better, but the PPC one is more fitting as the calmer and "duller" tone fits more the ancient aspect of the forest.

As for the skins, it’s the same thing as before except that Dark Rayman has been renamed to "Bad Rayman" (which is the actual name of this specific doppelganger) and updated to look much closer to the original GBC Bad Rayman (it’s still a work in progress, though). I’ve also just added some extra "rejected" skins which were intended to play the same role as the "world-themed" skins from Redemption/ReDesigner, but they turned out too ugly and weird and so they won’t be kept (but they’ll be remade in the future into something much better).
GBC ReDesigned Skins + Extras.zip
(226.44 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
The skin made by ShinyRaichu94 is still recommended if you prefer something more accurate to the original!

Here are the absolutely useless lite versions as usual! :noel:
Heh… I actually made a special change for them: not only I’ve inverted what I did with the tile changes between the versions, but I’ve also brought back the Red Ring I talked about in a previous post! So you’ll have to time your jumps properly while using it to actually survive the descent!
No custom graphics are missing this time around in these folders, but you’ll still have to edit them yourself so they can fit the game!
GBC - Ancient Forest.zip
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
PPC - Ancient Forest.zip
(2.8 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
PalmOS Color - Ancient Forest.zip
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
PalmOS Greyscale - Ancient Forest.zip
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 1 time

Hope I haven’t forgotten anything in all of this as the current extreme temperature absolutely broke my body and my brain… :sad:

ChronicTraitor wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:32 pm Ah that's not a problem, sometimes I forget to check if my posts get replied to, so I'm just as sorry! :oops2:

If we're talking forests, I never knew what to really make out of Arcane Forest's graphics, it's kind of a mess from what I remember.

:lol: I like to imagine I gained some sort of immunity to the high notes since it was all I had, so I'd best get used to it and enjoy it! :winkgrin:

I eventually got Rayman 2 (PS1) and RRR1 (PS2/Steam), so it's no longer the only Rayman game I have. I remember playing all the GBA games too, but Rayman Advance was too much for my ears to handle. :boon:
That’s alright! :mryellow:

Some parts of Arcane Forest do look pretty weird and unpolished (especially the ice platforms which look like some strange "blocky bushes", although it could just be some wet moss/grass I guess...), but it’s always been the GBC world which inspired me the most! I just love the whole oppressive and dark magical atmosphere in there and it’s also a way more fitting final part for the game even if it’s not as creative as Candy Château, and so I can’t wait to actually recreate it!
But it’s clear that the visuals weren’t finished as properly as the rest of the game as the tiles are far less detailed (even it’s very colourful, ironically enough) and way more all over the place, especially when it comes to the "dirt" walls and the background purple "rocky" parts. :?

That could explain it! As someone whose first video game ever was the Saturn version of Rayman 1, you can only imagine how I first felt from going from that sweet melodic soundtrack to the lovely extra loud bips and boops of the GBC game. :noelnoir:
But yeah, you do get used to it and it sounds better when you’re focused on the gameplay rather than listening to the music in another context.

Quite ironic you can’t bear Rayman Advance then! But that one does actually give me a headache even when I’m just playing (and even if "it has some charm"... I guess...). It felt like a torture the last time I’ve played it on Wii U (and so I could try it on a TV for the first time)... :beurk:
The fact the GBA soundtrack is all over the place doesn’t help its case either... Gotta love hearing the theme of the final boss when you’re just taking a nice sunny stroll in the peppy hills of Band Land. :hap:

Anyway, HAVE FUN! :)

Fiery Depths, the ancestor of Molten Depths which also possibly inspired the cancelled Bat enemy from Redemption, will be truly completed once my body and my computer both finish to melt under the amazing temperature of the current heat wave in France so they can become Fiery Depths themselves! :hap:
SUMMER IS THE WORST SEASON EVER, and anyone saying otherwise is a liar!

hoodlumsworld
Barbara
Tings: 10160

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Ancient Forest ReDesigned looks awesome! ❤️ But what are those "Fuffies" you mentioned a couple times? 😬
Rayman Saturn
Robot Ninja

Post by Rayman Saturn »

hoodlumsworld wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:25 am Ancient Forest ReDesigned looks awesome! ❤️ But what are those "Fuffies" you mentioned a couple times? 😬
It’s those creatures which blew you into the air or to their sides. They are two types: a sleepy one which only blows air when you punch it, or the active one which keeps blowing air on their own nearly every second. Sadly, there’s nothing in ReDesigner to replicate both types, so bouncy objects such as springs are the only way to keep their main function.
Capture d’écran (15605).png
Capture d’écran (15605).png (6.56 KiB) Viewed 147 times
I only found out about their name on Ray1Map and when finding the archive of the official website about the Palm OS and Pocket PC versions which mentionned them as "belonging to Rayman's friends". Speaking of which, that's a very cool treasure from the past and so here's a link to that website!: https://web.archive.org/web/20010907194 ... ocket.com/
Don't know what their name even means and I've accidentally guessed the plural form of it... Just hope this doesn’t turn out to be an extremely offensive slur that I’ve accidentally kept repeating until now. :hap:

Capture d’écran (15606).png
Capture d’écran (15606).png (96.84 KiB) Viewed 147 times
Anyway, glad that more people can experience more of this game on PC now! Rayman GBC and its variations deserve more attention and so I’m really going to take that project as far as I can!
Last edited by Rayman Saturn on Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 591339

Post by Hunchman801 »

That's interesting, I didn't know about this either. "Blowing Fuffy" appears to be the official name; I guess this would be a good occasion to create of RayWiki article for those, as well as the other creatures from the GBC version of Rayman 1 that we might have forgotten!
Rayman Saturn
Robot Ninja

Post by Rayman Saturn »

That would indeed be a good idea as the RayWiki really had no info about a lot of GBC stuff (the Blowing Fuffies were even barely mentioned in the Ancient Forest article, probably because nobody knew how to describe them at all). I’m feeling tempted to go do it but I’m not sure how to really do it and if I could do it right it as I’ve never made a wiki article before... But if I do try, I’m thinking about making both an article for the Blowing Fuffy and another for the hearts power-ups which never had an article before...
Wish there was an easy way to find and play the other versions of the game on modern systems so we could add even more info on them as well.

"Blowing Fuffy"... This name still sounds so funny to me...
Sounds like an insult Caddicarus would say in one of his videos!... You... bunch of BLOWING FUFFIES! :fou:

Also, the website actually refers to Bad Rayman as "Dark Rayman", so I may have renamed his skin for nothing and now we can all cry some more about how much of an absurd mess all the doppelgangers in this series are! :hap:
Rayman Pocket PC - Dark Rayman.png
Rayman Pocket PC - Dark Rayman.png (59.39 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Although, I’m not so sure if we can actually take this website so seriously considering the fact it refers to Antitoons as "Black Toons"... and so now I can’t wait to see Black Rayman being added as the next evil doppelganger in Rayman Mini’s sequel exclusive to Facebook Gaming featuring the Incrediballs’ balls. :noelnoir:
Rayman Pocket PC - BLACK TOONS.png
Rayman Pocket PC - BLACK TOONS.png (223.77 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Also, the fist is referred to as "magic" Punch (YEAH! EVEN MORE CONFUSION! :fou2:) and let’s not forget our favourite enemies: the StoneS MAn! Whoever wrote this page must have been stoned, indeed! :noel:
I’m not sorry for that terrible pun! :3

While I’m at it, first picture of Fiery Depths ReDesigned! :mryellow:
Capture d’écran (15749).png
Capture d’écran (15749).png (39.44 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Last edited by Rayman Saturn on Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PluMGMK
Estellia
Tings: 20215

Post by PluMGMK »

The antitoons were originally referred to as blacktoons by the devs. The word is still mentioned in some of the EVE.MLT comments in Designer, and the sprites and animations are in BLK.ETA and BLK.DES. I'm guessing they changed it to allude to antimatter with the whole electron/proton thing. That and I guess the old name sounds kinda racist :oops2: But whoever wrote that paragraph didn't get the memo I guess :hap:
ChronicTraitor
Knaaren

Post by ChronicTraitor »

Wow, can't believe I missed Ancient Forest's release! :oops2: I'd forgotten how short that world is, only having 3 levels and all, but man did they cram it full of spikes and drops to make up for it! The Pocket PC version is quite nice, it really brings out a lot of little details in the background objects.

I always liked Arcane Forest quite a lot as a kid even though it didn't make much sense visually. I'd always thought the brown walls were carved wood or something, and the purple might be an attempt at a spooky glow. The black shapes (that kinda look like iron gates?) in the background gives me the impression of a dark scary forest in a graveyard, similar to some battle arenas in Rayman Arena.
Makes sense as they have a Spellbound Forest in there too, hmm... :mefiant:

Rayman Advance's "music" was just awful really, since my sis was always playing the PS1 version. So to pick up Advance on our GBA and hear that was painful, to say nothing of the misplaced tracks. I couldn't imagine playing it on a tv, GBA games' small screen size and too dark/bright colors don't translate to big screens very well!

I thought some of the extra skins looked kinda nice, especially the Airy and Rocky ones. The Rocky skin looks very much like Dark Rayman, was that intentional?
The new Bad Rayman skin looks much better compared to the old one, though.

Not sure if I'm looking forward to Fiery Depths or not, I always struggled there as a kid. Must've been all the fire shooters and lava. But on the other hand the colors are really nice...I guess I'll see how it goes when it gets here! I'm really looking forward to Dark Legacy later on, since it's my most favorite world of all. I was pretty disappointed with Redemption's rendition of it, expecting a 1:1 recreation of it.
At least I'll be able to see what that'll be like in the future thanks to you! :winkgrin: