Azoo's Rayman arts / fiction / game concepts

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
azoo
Lums Jaune
Tings: 150

Azoo's Rayman arts / fiction / game concepts

Post by azoo »

Yo! Been a Rayman fan for a loooong, long time. Decided to finally join this forum.

To start it off, here's a few of those wacky guys.

Last edited by azoo on Sat May 08, 2021 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102730

Re: Azoo's Rayman arts

Post by PluMGMK »

Wow, nice! Welcome to the forum! :)
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Excellent work, Azoo! The characters are really expressive. And welcome, of course!
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Post by Aaron »

Wow, these are really good, love that art style! Also welcome! :)
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

Excellent work! I really like how Barbara looks. Globox seems sick to me for some reason, maybe because of his expression? Also welcome to the site :mrgreen:.
Sevy
Pti-lote
Tings: 2810

Post by Sevy »

Hello! These works are great and I love your funky style too!
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

Oh wow! Thank you for such the nice feedback! ^^ Very glad to share my stuff here.

Here's another one I was working on before I made that design sheet.

How much I would loooove for Ly to come back and be part of the gang..
Aaron
Vendeur

Post by Aaron »

Ooh, very nice! :up:
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

Thank you! :D
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

Great work Azoo, I love your style! And I must say your choice of colors is absolutely lovely too. :up:
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

Thank you! :J I really appreciate it.

I've been thinking a lot about designing a 3D Rayman, and how I'd want Globox and Ly playable. I want Ray to have his standard R1/3 fist mechanic, but I want Ly and Globox to kind of stand in for R2 and Origins/Legends mechanics, respectively. Here was my doodle about that.

Aaron
Vendeur

Post by Aaron »

Nice work on drawing these! Also, a game? That's amazing, good luck on it! :D
azoo
Lums Jaune

Re: Azoo's Rayman arts / fiction / game concepts

Post by azoo »

Thank you! Planning out the concepts for it are in early stages, but I had the possibility of a co-op game in mind.

On another note! I wrote some lore on how I'd personally tie together the continuity of R1-3, as well as potentially Origins/Legends. Here goes nothing!
LORE
------------
ONCE UPON A TIME, the world was a fancy-free fantasy, owed all in part to it's energy source: THE GREAT PROTOON. From the Great Protoon came the Electoons, a species of sprites who brought joy wherever they went, inspiring the Great Protoon to fill the world of people to live within. For many eons, these limbless people all lived in harmony with one another, free to do what they please..

..Until one day struck THE CATACLYSM. A hooded and caped monster only known in legend as "Mr. Dark" imprisoned the Electoons and stole the Great Protoon, intent on absorbing it's power and ruling over all. A young hero named RAYMAN, equipped with the aid of fairies, magicians and civilians alike, came to the rescue to prevent disorder. But even with Rayman's success in defeating Mr. Dark, the damage was already done.

The once-innocent world had been tainted by the presence of darkness, causing The Great Protoon to shatter, as the world was made anew, sparing only the Electoons as well as the hero that saved them.

From it's shattered core came pure beings of light known as LUMS, which together constructed the new world in a way that could balance the now-even good and evil energy. To do this, they created a mediator: POLOKUS, the BUBBLE DREAMER out of their own selves, granting his imagination the power to create the world in his dreams. Polokus's creations spread into a realm we know today as the GLADE OF DREAMS, a domain where his sweetest dreams and darkest nightmares attempt to live in balance with one another.

The first night of Polokus's creation, he had a nightmare of the evil that corrupted the Great Protoon, and feared it happening again. Using this fear, he created JANO, and made him the mediator of all evil; a great beast meant to try all souls for their alignment, and punish those who fail his tests by keeping their souls in his personal abode, THE CAVE OF BAD DREAMS.

He then grouped the remaining Lums into a single mass called THE HEART OF THE WORLD. There they will forever be watched by a group of monk-magicians named the TEENSIES; their head wizard THE GRAND MINIMUS being the only bearer of Polokus's greatest secrets. The Teensies were then given a role to assign it's own magical guard of fairies, together in coalition as THE FAIRY COUNCIL, meant to be both protectors and messengers of the Teensies as well as the populace.

Together (Polokus, The Heart of the World, The Teensies, The Fairy Council and Jano) these beings are known as the PRIMORDIAL CORE; the harbingers of all good in this new world.

After this, Polokus found himself both satisfied and exhausted. Giving his final bit of energy to create the Elements, he told his people a final decree: if he is needed, bring together the Four Masks sealed within these elements and he will return. With this last statement, Polokus disappeared from reality, in a long deep, restful, dream-less slumber for the next one thousand years.

Many centuries passed.. until one fateful day, the great hero of old, RAYMAN, appeared washed up on the shore of the Glade of Dreams. Brought in by LY to the Fairy Council, no one quite knew what to make of a creature with no arms, legs or neck. Rayman himself seemed unsure, his memories of his past adventures seemed completely gone. The Fairy Council spent a fair amount of time unsure if he was worth trusting, especially coming from the mischevious and inexperienced Ly, but Rayman's good nature amongst the Glade's people proved him a great (if not strange) new member of their world.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

I like the idea of the universe resetting itself after cataclysmic events, and that the current version of the universe has remains of previous versions, it reminds me a little bit of the Matrix where some programs are from previous iterations of the world.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

It's a nice theory, if a bit bleak (Rayman 1's world is lost and gone forever? Matrix comparisons?? :fou:).

The only problem with it is that Rayman 2's manual states that Mister Dark's defeat occurred after Rayman washed up on the shore, and was what made people trust him. That one sentence is probably the only nod to the original game's continuity in all of the released material associated with Rayman 2, which otherwise could easily be in a different world. (They didn't always intend it to be that way – as I understand it, the character of Polokus was originally supposed to be a 3D version of the Magician. Obviously they did away with that notion completely, considering what happened in Origins.)
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

I wouldn't say it's too bleak, haha. Rayman 1's world could've had all kinds of adventures before the events of that game, so with this in mind people could still be free to make some stories to go in between, haha. Besides, Origins reintroduces a lot of characters and ideas from that world (from major characters to random things like the mooks you fight in Dream Forest), so there's still room to reintroduce even more R1 characters reimagined into the second world. I might actually redesign characters like Mr Sax and co eventually..

And yeah about the Mr Dark in Rayman 2 thing, it's not the perfect rewrite by any means (I don't think anything could be), but I suppose it's better to retcon a few tinier things than let it remain disjointed.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Nice retcon attempt! The Rayman series does not make it very easy but your story is very interesting.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

azoo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 pm I've been thinking a lot about designing a 3D Rayman, and how I'd want Globox and Ly playable. I want Ray to have his standard R1/3 fist mechanic, but I want Ly and Globox to kind of stand in for R2 and Origins/Legends mechanics, respectively. Here was my doodle about that.
Looking great! Have you got any plans to assemble a team for the game soon?
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

Hunchman801 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:06 am
azoo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 pm I've been thinking a lot about designing a 3D Rayman, and how I'd want Globox and Ly playable. I want Ray to have his standard R1/3 fist mechanic, but I want Ly and Globox to kind of stand in for R2 and Origins/Legends mechanics, respectively. Here was my doodle about that.
Looking great! Have you got any plans to assemble a team for the game soon?
I'd love to! But I also am not sure where to start, haha. Maybe if I can garner some interest around here, something can happen? Not sure where else to reach in the Rayman community, to be honest.
hoodlumsworld wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:29 am Nice retcon attempt! The Rayman series does not make it very easy but your story is very interesting.
Thank you! Here's a bit more of it if you'd like to look at it.
"FAIRY / FAE" is the blanket-term for all magic-wielding creatures within the Glade of Dreams. These creatures are made of three different tiers: The NYMPHS, the AMBASSADORS, and the COMMONSPRITE.

Nymphs are the heads of the Fairy Council, second in command to the Teensies (and third to Polokus). They are powerful, often beautiful beings that act essentially as "presidents" of each section of The Glade of Dreams. Much like real life presidents, they spend their time hiding away from the general public, but do so as the position they have in their society is very tough to fill, considering the amount that goes on in affairs across the glade's many lands. While seemingly ditzy to outsiders, they can really get into it in a heated debate: it's like a cute version of the United Nations in their meetings.

Ambassadors are fairies chosen with enough power and competence to serve as representatives of their subspecies and messengers / guards for Polokus, the Teensies or the Nymphs. Good examples of ambassadors are Murfy, stand-in for the Greenbottles (squirrely amphibi-flies) and appointed servant for the Teensies, or Ly, ambassador for the Phrys (nomadic feline wizards) and direct emissary for Polokus.

The commonsprite, your usual civilian of each population of fairy / fae, play their part in the Fairy Council as voters.. what, did you think this was a fix? (Okay, maybe it is a little..) but they get to choose their ambassadors as well as have control over smaller populations such as towns, cities and what have you within the confines of each section of the Glade.

So the question is, where does Rayman fit into all of this? Uhh.. well, he doesn't really. He's not quite powerless like some folk in Rayman's world (such as Globox, Clark, Barbara etc), but neither does he fit within any of those previously-mentioned categories. What does this mean for him? Diplomatic immunity? Well, sort of. He's not bound by the rules of the Glade, but he's not free of retaliation for defying them either. It's a case by case basis..
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

You have Fairies below Teensies? Interesting choice. From Rayman 3 and Origins, I really get the impression that the Teensies (apart from the Grand Minimi) make up the bulk of the civilian population of the Glade, and so Fairies, as Polokus' emissaries, would be higher.

And since I'm the staff Tily fan here, I have to ask: Tily's a commonsprite, right? :hap: