Azoo's Rayman arts / fiction / game concepts

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
azoo
Lums Jaune
Tings: 150

Re: Azoo's Rayman arts / fiction / game concepts

Post by azoo »

Teensies are politically above the Fairies in importance as they direct responsibility of protecting the Lums, but they're not nearly as powerful as Fairies. I like to imagine they dangle their righteous positions above Fairies as a means of hiding how scared they are of being overthrown by them LOL. In regards of the population in 3 and Origins, I imagine there's way more creatures in the Glade than them, its just that they're the only ones convenient to gameplay so they appear often haha.

Also of course! Tily is definitely a Commonsprite. I'd like to say she's also a Phrys, since she's very similar to Ly, but she also has wings so who knows? Either way, she's definitely amongst them. I might give drawing her a shot soon.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

Ah, politics! :mrgreen: "I am merely a humble civil servant, Minister :mrgreen:" I see where you're going with this!

Maybe some of the people of Phrys have wings and others don't? Or maybe they're born with wings and lose them when they grow older? I'm definitely looking forward to your Tily drawing anyway! :D
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

I'll draw Tily soon! But first: the mechanics of a new 3D Rayman.

I wanted to make gameplay that feels like a solid evolution of 1-3 as well as incorporating Origins/Legends moves. Tell me what you think!

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

That's a very complete gameplay, though arguably a bit complex! It would definitely take some time to master. One thing I'm a bit worried about is the wall jump: in a 3D game, it might be tricky to find a good way of dealing with the camera for those.
azoo wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 am I'd love to! But I also am not sure where to start, haha. Maybe if I can garner some interest around here, something can happen? Not sure where else to reach in the Rayman community, to be honest.
A 3D game is usually no small project, but this is probably the best place to gauge interest and have people join the project if they feel like it. You might want to check out Rayman Polokurse, a 2D game project being worked on at the moment: this should give you an idea of the kind of cool stuff the community can come up with. :)
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Very nice! I just wonder, is it important that crouching and ducking be different actions?
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

Hunchman801 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:34 am That's a very complete gameplay, though arguably a bit complex! It would definitely take some time to master. One thing I'm a bit worried about is the wall jump: in a 3D game, it might be tricky to find a good way of dealing with the camera for those.
The scheme might seem complex due to the amount of moves, but I think of it like 3D Mario in that you won’t need every move, but having them enriches the gameplay and what you could do in it. Otherwise it follows the same structure as Rayman 1: run, jump, punch, sprint and crouch (plus strafe), and as long as you know those functions exist the rest should come to you naturally as you play it out, since it’s just me answering what Ray does when you crouch while jumping, punch while sprinting, et cetera.

As for the wall jump, though, yeah I can see that being the least useful / necessary of anything here in a 3D space. Although I can see it having its purposes in areas with a fixed camera, so there’s no question what angle you’re approaching a wall from in one of those.
azoo wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 am I'd love to! But I also am not sure where to start, haha. Maybe if I can garner some interest around here, something can happen? Not sure where else to reach in the Rayman community, to be honest.
A 3D game is usually no small project, but this is probably the best place to gauge interest and have people join the project if they feel like it. You might want to check out Rayman Polokurse, a 2D game project being worked on at the moment: this should give you an idea of the kind of cool stuff the community can come up with. :)
Oh for sure! Polokurse looks great. I’d be down to do a call for people on this, if it’s considered acceptable to do so. Though I may need some time to pitch together a plot so that the concept isn’t just “let’s make a game” haha.
hoodlumsworld wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:48 pm Very nice! I just wonder, is it important that crouching and ducking be different actions?
Oh not at all, they’re very much the same! I just wanted to point out it’s usefulness in fights. :D
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

azoo wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:09 pm The scheme might seem complex due to the amount of moves, but I think of it like 3D Mario in that you won’t need every move, but having them enriches the gameplay and what you could do in it. Otherwise it follows the same structure as Rayman 1: run, jump, punch, sprint and crouch (plus strafe), and as long as you know those functions exist the rest should come to you naturally as you play it out, since it’s just me answering what Ray does when you crouch while jumping, punch while sprinting, et cetera.
Makes sense. Like Humch, I thought it all looked rather overwhelming, but now you put it that way it sounds a lot more reasonable. Really well thought out! :up:
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Post by Aaron »

Overall, very interesting gameplay mechanics, love these! :up:
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

Hey guys! I’m still around. It’s been a minute!

I’ve been rethinking over new 3D Rayman ideas, and been wondering if anyone has really seen the recent videos unraveling unused gameplay from Rayman Raving Rabbids. It’s really left me thinking what a proper Rayman 4 would look like, and how I would go about it. I know it’s a common conversation on here, but has anyone started a fan project that picks up the pieces from that game and tries something? Especially one that ties in elements from the GBA version. Because I’ve got a rough idea on how it’d go down.

Story:
Rayman is on his way to a picnic with Globox and his family, but finds the Glade of Dreams is in ruins from a takeover by the Rabbids, who want to eat all of its inhabitants and claim dominion. After trying to save Globox and his family, Rayman ends up imprisoned in a cell. With nowhere to go, Ly arrives and breaks him out. They find themselves in the gladiator pit, the centerpiece of the Rabbid Kingdom that was dropped dead center on the Glade, crushing the Heart of the World. From this center, Rayman and Ly must go through the different columns leading to different worlds from each end, and save the inhabitants of the Glade from the Rabbid bosses in each world, all while recollecting the Golden Lums scattered throughout.

Of course, Rayman and Ly out as he visits each world that the people of the Glade treated these dumb but otherwise sweet rabbits poorly, leading them to become the Rabbids and swear revenge on the world. At the end of the game, Rayman tries to make peace with the Rabbids with the power of dance, but not before giving them a heavy butt kicking.

Gameplay:
Think Rayman 3, but make Rayman’s light attacks (the non charged ones) more melee-esque, on par with Origins/Legends so that you can hit hordes of enemies coming your way instead of just hitting one at a time. Similarly, adding Rayman’s abilities to slide, crawl and ground pound with those moves on RT. I almost considered a run button like my movement designs from above, but after musing on it I don’t think it’s necessary, as Rayman in 3D doesn’t need to be as fast.

I also would consider adding RR’s three abilities it had in mind: animal mounting (B / Circle), grappling (Y / Triangle), and dancing (R Bumper / R1).

Mounting would work about as seen in the RR proto footage, allowing you to ride on various different animals and vehicles. Grappling I would change however, so it’s more practical without motion controls. Pressing the grapple button sends your open hand out to grab whatever you’re aimed at. For lighter/smaller items, it pulls the object to you like the hook shot in Zelda, and for heavier or larger items it pulls you to it. With smaller objects you press X to swing the object around, Y to throw, RT to put down, and B to mount. For larger items, you can cling onto it and stay there until you let go. For huge enemies, imagine grappling to them, pulling in, and climbing up their back like Shadow of the Colossus, only to mount their head and ride them, playing like King Kong.

Meanwhile dancing would be something you build up a meter around Ray’s head in the HUD, you can use as a screen-clearing move, making the rabbids turn “good” and they run off. It’d be a finisher move for bosses in particular.

Anyways this is just some more random ideas. I’ll draw some art for it soon. Thanks for reading!
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Very interesting take, I did not expect the RR proto footage to be even become a source of inspiration. 👌
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

The Rabbids want to eat all of the Glade of Dreams' inhabitants? That's sounds dire.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Well, I've talked before about how disturbing it is that they're carnivorous rabbits, so it's just drawing that to its extreme conclusion…
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

I’ve thought a lot about the Phrys and I think I’d like to see that world more expanded upon. Really tall cat elves? Hell yeah.

I think they work best as like a nomadic tribe that moves their kingdom all across the dreamworld, feeling they don’t belong to one single culture, and stay out of people’s business. This is how I’d kinda flesh out Ly, as she’s the single one of their world that shows compassion for the outside realm, and her desire to help has gained her great favor with Polokus; who assigns her as an honorary fae and head ambassador in the Fairy Council, much to chagrin of the Nymphs, who don’t understand what she did to deserve being in their council’s presence.

I imagine if I wrote a Rayman game it’d probably be about Rayman and co meeting the Phrys, as the tribe’s desires are at odds with both good and evil… as if their obligations are… you know… beyond it (ooHOOhoo). It’d give Rayman time to get involved with Ly’s people and show how she’s at odds with them, OR how she may turn on Rayman and party in siding with them. Who knows..
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

I wonder how the politics of the Fairy Council work, to my knowledge it is formed by Teensies, Ludivs, Nymphs and other fairies. If Polokus is around he can just make the pick for a certain position, but if he is asleep I wonder if there is a way to contact him in his dreams, otherwise the choice could be made by voting or depending on who is the strongest/wisest/oldest.
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

Been writing out a design document for an original Rayman sequel! I’ve done this quite a bit over the past few months, but these are ideas I’m pretty into right now, and I’m interested in seeing what you guys think of it.

Putting these in quotes since it’s a lot.

STORY
Rayman and Globox go give a visit to the Snoring Tree to see what Polokus, the Bubble Dreamer, has cooked up today. But instead of the jovial chaos they’re used to, everyone around is sad and isn’t saying why. Upon climbing up the tree they find Ly, and learn a terrible truth: Polokus is dying.

Once every ten thousand years, Polokus grows old, having dreamed all the dreams he can dream. But he always manages to survive, eating a special cure-all called the Protoon Fruit, reinvigorating his health as his life begins anew. Rayman and Globox make it a mission to go find him this Protoon Fruit, but they find out it won’t be that easy.

You see, long ago these fruits were once held by the ancient civilization The Phrys, mystical catlike elves that live across The Great Nowhere, the treacherous and vast universe far outside the Glade of Dreams. One day a thousand years ago, Polokus made his trip back to their hidden world, only to find it was mysteriously abandoned and swarmed with great evil, save for one spirit: a young fae named Ly, whom Polokus gave a new home to in the Glade.

Ly, being the last known remaining creature of the Phrys and only alive thanks to his kindness, takes it upon herself to join Rayman and find the whereabouts of the Protoon Fruit, for if she doesn’t Polokus will pass away, and so will the safety the Glade provides from the outside universe. With Globox (never to part from his buddy) and Murfy (having to report back to home base) driving a big dumb ship Polokus dreams up, they sail away from the Glade of Dreams and into The Great Nowhere to many different worlds, seeking the Protoon Fruit..

..But something dark is out there, far more sinister than any dreamer’s imaginations, and it’s spreading fast across the galaxy. Will Rayman and friends be able to find the Protoon Fruit before it reaches the Glade?..
CONCEPT
This title would be a bit different from the linear structure of most Rayman games, and be an adventure game akin to early 3D Zelda. Each world has its own NPCs and open area(s) like the “town” half of a Zelda location, and after finding out where to go and interacting with key characters, transitions into more straightforward areas with more dangers and puzzles, like the “dungeon” half of a Zelda locale (and more like a standard 2/3 level). Each world introduces a new power Rayman can use (either permanent or temporary), and that power would be most effective on the boss Rayman faces at the end of each world.

As you play, Ly works as your guide character (like ie Midna); giving Rayman someone to bounce off of as you meet each world’s new inhabitants and progress the story, or help you if you’re lost. She would also be able to fast travel you to different spots where you’ve reached a checkpoint. (And if the programmer were feeling brave, I’d say she could also be controlled by player 2 for a co-op-ish game lol.) Meanwhile Globox or Murfy will occasionally follow along for a mission, or come in to help when you least expect it. But usually, they stay at the ship and hold fort. You wouldn’t want them around all the time anyways, Murfy complains too much and Globox would worry you to death, lol.

In each world, Rayman can collect Tings, which seem to be the currency used all throughout The Great Nowhere. These Tings can be used to buy health or power buffs (more on that later), but most importantly.. costumes! All of Rayman’s crazy looks over the years would be something you could buy in shops all over; from his classic look of clean-cut hair and bandana, to his baggy jeans and fingerless gloves, to the grandma costume, to any skins from Origins/Legends and more, whatever the team would be willing to do lol.
GAMEPLAY
Controls from 3 return, very similarly to how it’s remembered. However Rayman comes with some new abilities to help flesh out his move set, inspired by his more fluid movement seen in the UbiArt games, as well as the unreleased version of Raving Rabbids.

When holding R2, Rayman can now duck and slide, which lets him dodge obstacles as well as get through tight spaces (when targeting with L2, this becomes the somersault from 3). In the air, Rayman can press R2 to slam down to the ground, similar to the UbiArt games. Alternatively, hold R2 on the ground and press Cross to do do a helicopter jump, which gives you double height, similar to the backflip in the 3D Mario games.

Rayman has three permanent power ups he collects throughout the game: sprinting (R1), grappling (Circle), and riding (Triangle). When sprinting, Rayman can run faster than normal (not UbiArt games fast but faster than 2 & 3) and can wall jump; his punches also become shorter range to make quicker work of head-on enemies. Grappling works like a hookshot, in that it can pull some things toward you (enemies, items, world objects) or pull you into them (moving objects, lum rings, climbable walls). Riding lets you board upon different animals, enemies or vehicles to travel or climb long distances.

Rayman also has three temporary powerups through the game that enhance existing abilities: Golden Fist, Magic Shield, and Super Helicopter. Golden Fist turns your fists into infinite range shots like in Rayman 2 that can bounce off walls, albeit with finite ammo before reverting to normal. Magic Shield puts a protective barrier around Rayman that, for short stretches only, lets him run through hazards and enemy fire unscathed. Super Helicopter lets Rayman ascend with his helicopter hair, as you can do in 2 & 3, also with a limited time window.
LOCALES

Glade of Dreams - Home of Rayman and friends; he and his friends make way to The Snoring Tree in a tutorial stage that shows the ropes. Of course, reading the above, you know what happens next..

Traveling across the endless sea of stars in The Great Nowhere leads Rayman and friends to worlds never seen outside of the Glade. These worlds include..

Gearosaurus Bay - a mechanical island with oars that push it across the ocean, it’s an artificial beach with a population purely of robot people living on a steampunk harbor bay town. since the arrival of the Dark, their factories have gone haywire and are flooding the population of once kind beasts, the Gearosaurus, to the point of pushing the harbor folk to extinction.

Crying Mountains - a rocky mountain surrounded by rain storms is in reality the tears of a giant with its head in the clouds. Climbing around this titan is no easy feat, with many crags and crannys to cross and currents to ride as the storm tries to push anyone off, including his inhabitants. Upon reaching the top, they find he’s sick after eating some bad dark sludge, and you must navigate the cave inside to cure him of his plague.

Banned Land - a world filled with musical instruments seems rather.. muted. After sweet, sweet sound was banished by a dark storm changing everyone’s tune, the world has lost all color, returning to the black and white silent days, and no one in this topsy turvy world is ready to face the music. In bringing the world back to its old harmonic state, the color will return too.

White Hot Wasteland - millions of miles of white hold a hidden tribe of stragglers under the glaciers surface, as running through the worlds core is rivers of magma compressed beneath the rock and ice. But ever since the darkness arrived, the tensions in the core have been increasingly unstable..

Submerged City - in a submerged world lies planetoidish spherical city blocks contained in bubbles, belonging to merpeople who swim to and from block to block. But something dark in the waters has awoken a great beast too angry to calm down.

The Abyss of Phrys - a spooky deserted palace, once the home of Ly and her people, the Phrys, it is now a dried up desert with only shambles of a once thriving civilization now lost. It’s runes tell stories of a prophecy foretold, a great unstoppable cataclysm, the rise of the dark.. is it me, or is there something creeping up from behind?

In Limbo - a deep shadow of pure night consumes a land unrecognizable, the home of the darkness that has been flowing out throughout the galaxy. But something about this place, despite that, seems awfully familiar.. Could this be where the Protoon Fruit lies?
As an addition, here are two pieces of concept art: of the scene Ray and Ly meet the Crying Giant.

azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

Colored the concept art of the crying giant
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

So, in this story The Phrys come from space? I really like the idea that Polokus at some point had to leave the planet and visit a very far place. When I think of Rayman in space far from his planet, I keep remembering that intergalactic circus that wanted him because he is considered a rare species. The Gearosaurus Bay could contain references/easter eggs about the Robo-Pirates (just an idea).

As always, your art is amazing!
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

Thank you! And I’m glad you like the story! And yeah, I love the idea that Polokus traveled all across the universe and from his adventures dreamed up the Glade.

And yes actually, the Gearosaurus Bay is meant to feature both Rayman 2’s robo-people and proto R2’s robo-dinosaurs! The bay would have a wrecked pirate ship lying on the shore. Maybe a retired Razorbeard lives in a lighthouse, just off the distance? Spitballing here but yeah lol.

I’ve considered the intergalactic circus idea too! That was always an interesting concept, sadly underused in that kinda cruddy cartoon attempt. Maybe I’ll find something to do with that, not sure.. maybe best suited for its own story, haha.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

azoo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:56 pm Thank you! And I’m glad you like the story! And yeah, I love the idea that Polokus traveled all across the universe and from his adventures dreamed up the Glade.

And yes actually, the Gearosaurus Bay is meant to feature both Rayman 2’s robo-people and proto R2’s robo-dinosaurs! The bay would have a wrecked pirate ship lying on the shore. Maybe a retired Razorbeard lives in a lighthouse, just off the distance? Spitballing here but yeah lol.

I’ve considered the intergalactic circus idea too! That was always an interesting concept, sadly underused in that kinda cruddy cartoon attempt. Maybe I’ll find something to do with that, not sure.. maybe best suited for its own story, haha.
I remember I had a similar idea about helping Polokus as a main part of a plot for a game, but the scenerio was a little bit darker. If Razorbeard retired, maybe his mother (which was mentioned in a manual I think) could be the boss of that area, since she would blame Rayman for what happend to his son :mrgreen:.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

I love the look of the giant! Where did you get your inspiration from?