The raymanian language

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Domnibus
Reine Ptizêtre
Tings: 4775

The raymanian language

Post by Domnibus »

Raymanian is the language the people in rayman's world speak. But all times it is seen written or heard spoken in the games, it is just gibberish. And since I am very interested in linguistics, I decided to make it a real language!

In this first post, I wanted to share one of the scripts I made for the language.

I have made two scripts for the language on paper. One alphabet, which is seen written on doors in the sanctuaries and on the egg machines in the desert of the knaaren, and one other script, which is seen written in mr Dark's dare and the desert of the knaaren. I only could make the last one digital. My art and modeling skills are not that good, so if anyone who has experience with calligraphy, font making or art would like to make a better looking version, I would appreciate that!

Also, don't worry about all the diacritics, I will explain the pronunciation in another post.

In the romanization system (that means, writing the language using the latin script) a macron (a line over the letter) means a long vowel. The raymanian mark for a long vowel is placed under the consonant.

The vowel that follows a consonant is written in the consonant letter at the place indicated by the dotted circle.
Attachments
The raymanian (wandayē) script, not the alphabet
The raymanian (wandayē) script, not the alphabet
wandaye.png (129.55 KiB) Viewed 4266 times
Ha kyudukc ma, titrijodukc tlhu :fou:
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Re: The raymanian language

Post by hoodlumsworld »

This looks really beautiful! Do the writings in the games actually translate to anything in this script, or you just used them as an inspiration?
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

Wow, nice work! :o I remember Candish talked about doing something similar a long time ago but I don't know if she finished it…

Looking forward to the explanation of the diacritics – do the carons indicate palatalization by any chance?
And yes, like hoodlumsworld said, it's already looking beautiful!
Sevy
Pti-lote
Tings: 2810

Post by Sevy »

Oooh this is actually facinating! I had often wondered if the ancient writings and text in such scenes and levels could be deciphered into a language of sorts...
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

I hope someone turns this into a font.
Domnibus
Reine Ptizêtre

Post by Domnibus »

I only used the writing in the games as inspiration, so they don't mean anything.

And also, the carons don't indicate palatalization. For example: the š is like the "sh" as in "sheep", and the ň is like "ng" as in "sing".
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

It does indeed look really cool! Now I want a texture pack for Rayman 3 that adds actual messages written with this all around the game's locations. :P
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Silly, of course!
Flat Earth Society
Ray Noir & Blanc
Tings: 925030

Post by Flat Earth Society »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:34 pm It does indeed look really cool! Now I want a texture pack for Rayman 3 that adds actual messages written with this all around the game's locations. :P
That would be a very interesting project, to say the least. :P

Awesome work also! :)
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Well, either way, whoever takes it on will have to wait for Domnibus to post a lexicon, I guess :hap:
Aaron
Vendeur
Tings: 81340

Post by Aaron »

Interesting stuff, great work on it so far! :up:
Domnibus
Reine Ptizêtre

Post by Domnibus »

Hello everyone! It has been some time, but i finally finished making a digital version of the alphabetic script of the raymanian language.

I have decided to name the script that i posted earlier the "suksǎ", meaning dark, script, and this alphabet the "dāri", meaning good, script. I have named them this because the suksǎ script is seen written only in places of enemies, and the dāri script in places like the sanctuaries. I think the suksǎ script is mostly used as decoration, and the dāri script in everyday life, because it is easier to write.

The example text is the first sentence from the knowledge of the world:
krǎ lǎm eya yatǐl otwifīz fětik džit tihawň džit wanda zuhělkaw vǎ otsǎ ogǔ̄rǔ.

Word by word: a (plural) lums yellow are fragments thousand the (genitive) heart the (genitive) world broken by the pirates.
Attachments
wandaye alphabet.png
wandaye alphabet.png (133.06 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
wandaye example.png
wandaye example.png (186.43 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

This one looks great as well! As for the language itself, where did you draw your inspiration from?
Domnibus
Reine Ptizêtre

Post by Domnibus »

Thank you! I did not really get any inspiration from other languages, but i did make some vocabulary based on the culture of rayman's world.

I made the pronunciation so that it should not be difficult to pronounce, but still not sound like english or other languages. I think i can make a post about the pronunciation soon, but i am still having difficulties making the very last bits of grammar.
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Awesome! I really hope someone makes a font of it now.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I had no idea this was even a thing! It doesn't seem to see much activity, though. :P
paulnewman2001
Otto Psi
Tings: 6360

Post by paulnewman2001 »

Very creative, nice work!
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa

Post by PluMGMK »

Hunchman801 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:39 am I had no idea this was even a thing! It doesn't seem to see much activity, though. :P
Well, I just asked myself, what does Klingon have? And apparently, according to a search on Wikipedia, that's as far as they've gotten with it, which is still pretty impressive!