Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Garo
Incrediball
Tings: 390

Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary

Post by Garo »

The demo for the Rayman fan game "Rayman: The Dreamers Boundary" comes out on August 21st and I think it looks pretty cool! I also want more people to see the fan game as its not super popular. (PS: I did not make this fan game)

Gamejolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/dreamersboundary/507525
Rayman awakens from a deep sleep to discover the Glade of Dreams has been plagued by Nightmares. Who is responsible? Only Rayman can find out. Travel through exciting environments, fight creepy and crazy bosses and bring back the power of Polokus.

Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary is a 2D Platformer with a focus on exploring new stages and finding hidden collectibles. With over 35 levels to explore and over 100 cages to break, Rayman surely has his work cut out for him.

In August 2021, the first demo will be released for the game.

Accessibility Functionality:
-Controller Support (DS4Windows recommended for DualShock 4)
-Changeable Font for all Dialogue and HUD
-Multiple Keyboard Control Configurations
-Extra Health Drops if needed
-Windowed/Fullscreen modes + Resolution Options

Releasing for Windows.
SAGE 2021: https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/show ... ndary.914/
Overview
Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary is a fan game telling an original story inside the world of Rayman.

Synopsis
Rayman awakens deep in the woods of the Glade of Dreams to discover that Nightmares have invaded the once peaceful land. With all his friends vanquished, Rayman must work with the Bubble Dreamer himself, Polokus, to reach the Dreamer's Boundary and stop the Nightmares from leaking into their world. But who is commanding the Nightmares? Who would have the power to create a gap in the fabric of reality like this? Only Rayman can discover the truth.

The Journey So Far
Development started on this fan game in June 2020. The development process has been slow and steady so far, every opportunity has been taken to build and improve my skillset to provide a polished product. The game itself is a love letter to the Rayman Franchise, something that has constantly surprised and inspired me and singlehandedly built my love for gaming as a child.

The game will offer over 35 levels to play, plenty of boss fights, and lots of collectibles to find. I'm building pretty much everything in the game from scratch. That means the sprites, the environments, backgrounds and even the music is all being made specifically for this game. The soundtrack is being worked on by me and the wonderful Alexander Reade (it sounds fantastic and I can't wait for everyone to hear the full thing). I'm no master artist but I'm really proud of everything I've made so far and the style that's built around it.

Demo
I hope you enjoy the included demo! It consists of three main levels from the game (one being a boss fight), a tutorial stage AND a super special exclusive SAGE 2021 level that's pretty fun - you have to reach 100% on the other levels to access it so make sure to grab everything.

Release Information
Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary is due to be released in 2022 (hopefully) and will be made available on Windows. Follow my GameJolt Page and follow me on Twitter for more updates.
https://gamejolt.com/games/dreamersboundary/507525
https://twitter.com/theCallumB_

Controller Support
The game features native controller support! For an Xbox controller, its as simple as turning on the controller. For a DualShock 4 controller, I've been testing using the DS4Windows Driver and it works really well. You can access DS4Windows here: http://ds4windows.com/

Streams, Gameplay and Feedback
If you decide to play the game on a Stream or for a Youtube video I would love to see it so please DM me a link <3 Also any feedback you have for the demo is much appreciated. Please be as honest as possible :)

How to Play
To play the demo, simply download the attached ZIP file, extract to a folder of your choice and open the .exe file!
Last edited by Garo on Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Troublesome isn't it, and untidy too." - The Magician from Rayman
Flat Earth Society
Ray Noir & Blanc
Tings: 925030

Re: Anyone else excited for this new fan game?

Post by Flat Earth Society »

The soundtrack sounds promising! I will definitely try it out once it comes out. :)
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Re: Anyone else excited for this new fan game?

Post by Elite Piranha »

I guess this thread should be renamed as "Rayman: The Dreamers Boundary"?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Re: Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary

Post by Hunchman801 »

This looks really nice! The animations are basic, but I like the variety of environments. The music is pretty cool too, please share the demo when it's available!
hoodlumsworld
Aurora
Tings: 15205

Post by hoodlumsworld »

I'm getting cool retro vibes, as if some inspiration had been drawn from the SNES prototype. 😁
mistercallumb
Créature
Tings: 310

Post by mistercallumb »

Hey folks, thanks for the kind words :) this is actually my fangame! I'm bad at keeping pages updated but I'll try and make sure to update this thread when new stuff happens. The demo will be available via SAGE and GameJolt on Saturday.

EDIT:
Here are the two released tracks from the OST.

Making a Rayman Fangame called Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary. Wanna check it out?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Welcome mistercallumb, and thanks for sharing those tracks! Saturday will be record day here but I definitely hope to give the demo a try on Sunday. :D
mistercallumb
Créature

Post by mistercallumb »

Thank you so much!
Really excited to see what the community thinks of the demo, and any feedback that they have. I hope you enjoy, and good luck for Record Day :)
Making a Rayman Fangame called Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary. Wanna check it out?
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Thanks for sharing the music, I can't wait to play the demo tomorrow.
mistercallumb
Créature

Post by mistercallumb »

Dev Master Post!

Okay so here is the official demo post! The demo is now available :D
The demo is downloadable from the GameJolt page and the SAGE2021 expo website.

Gamejolt:
SAGE2021:
https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/show ... ndary.914/

The demo consists of three main levels from the game (one being a boss fight), a tutorial stage AND a super special exclusive SAGE 2021 level that's pretty fun - you have to reach 100% on the other levels to access it so make sure to grab everything.

The rest of the soundtrack from the demo will be available over the next few days. I'll keep this post updated if there are any updates over the development of the game.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

This was pretty nice! I liked that the difficulty was not too high, it made for a pleasant experience. The absence of the hanging ability was surprising at first but the level design doesn't really call for it, so it's fine. The sprites remind me of Rayman on the GBC, a nice throwback I must say. I just found it a bit weird that I had to collect of the Lums again when replaying the first level with the grappling fist power to get the last cage, but otherwise it's a very promising demo and I really look forward to the final game!
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

I didn't expect such an awesome demo! The boss battle was really great, and I love the look of your explorers. Thank you for working on this!
XBAlizE
Lums Rouge
Tings: 60

Post by XBAlizE »

Rayman: The Dreamer's Boundary - I'll admit that it was an enjoyable experience and I never felt it getting too tiresome. There was almost a perfect balance of not too tedious gameplay. I'll admit that the Level Design in some areas felt a little short at times. I also wish that there was more exploration in some of these levels. Especially the first few levels. While it's great to see lots of Level Design variety going from Left to Right. It was really underwhelming to see that going higher didn't really allow for much more exploration. I'll try to keep this short since the game is not yet fully released. I enjoyed it! I just feel there was a lot more potential to explore :(
mistercallumb
Créature

Post by mistercallumb »

Thank you all for the feedback on the demo :)
Glad you all enjoyed it - I've taken some notes too so hopefully I can implement them in the full game.
I also wish that there was more exploration in some of these levels. Especially the first few levels.
That's some helpful feedback! In the full game there are some levels that have more verticality and exploration elements, I just didn't feel they were ready to go in the demo. So hopefully there'll be a couple of instances in the full game that will scratch that itch for you!
The boss battle was really great, and I love the look of your explorers.
As I'm doing all the art and don't consider myself particularly good, I really appreciate this, thanks :D
I just found it a bit weird that I had to collect of the Lums again when replaying the first level with the grappling fist power to get the last cage
Yes, I was a bit evil for including this. The lums act more like the crates in the Crash Bandicoot games. But in the full game, I'm going to make it so that you can get all the Lums in a stage on the first playthrough even if a hidden cage requires backtracking so that you don't have a bad experience like that. (Sorry :D)

So yeah, thank you all <3 glad you enjoyed and thank you for helping me make the game better!
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Glad this was useful, I look forward to the next updated, then!
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102730

Post by PluMGMK »

Finally got around to trying this out, and I am impressed! :D

There's one point that felt incongruous:
screenshot-1633774094.png
screenshot-1633774094.png (60.32 KiB) Viewed 9698 times
I thought I could duck down on the plum and go left under the place where Rayman is standing in the screenshot, and maybe there would be a gendoor in there. But instead, despite being ducked, I got stuck, and then died when another ball fell on me!

Also, I felt that maybe Rayman's fist's hitzone should have been slightly larger, or similar. But then, I suppose that's just a difference from the original game, not an actual fault in this one!

Another difference is that the flying rings stop moving when you grab them, which is an interesting innovation!
mistercallumb
Créature

Post by mistercallumb »

Thanks very much @PluMGMK!
I've actually removed that plum section now from Rockfall Woods as I didn't really like it, so now it won't plague you in the final game :D

I've also, since the demo released, redone the Rayman Sprites for the game and increased Rayman's fist hitbox as that was a common criticism of the demo.
Nice spot on the rings stopping too, it's going to lead to some interesting puzzle sections in the final release....

Thanks so much for playing :)
hoodlumsworld
Aurora

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Good point about the fist hitbox, it should feel more natural now.
mistercallumb
Créature

Post by mistercallumb »

A little extra tease for the game just released today. Hoping to share a slightly larger preview at the end of the month so this one is a little bit vague... :shock:

Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

Is that a Spyglass Pirate soundbite in the end? Btw, I like the main theme that was posted before.