Rayman fan game casting call

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
azoo
Lums Jaune
Tings: 150

Rayman fan game casting call

Post by azoo »

Anyone out there on the internets interested in doing a Rayman fangame? I’ve been hankering to brainstorm some ideas with people and make some concept art for it. As y’all have probably seen, I do illustration, design, writing and the occasional animation, and would be looking for people who are either bg artists or programmers to work with, come up with cool scenarios for Rayman and the gang. If anyone’s down, let me know!

Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Re: Rayman fan game casting call

Post by Elite Piranha »

There is a lot of talented people in the Rayman community, but the problem is that everyone has their own ideas about the kind of game they want, it seems difficult to convince a lot of people to follow one single vision/pitch for a game.

Unfortunately, I'm not in the position to join any project, however I have some ideas about a story for a new game, maybe I should share them in my own art thread at some point (in case someone likes some of them and ends up implementing them in their own fangame).
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

I guess I could cook up a proof of concept to kick something off, though it might need to just be simple animation loops or concept art, before it’d be convincing enough.

I’m thinking of something that plays like 1, except you can wall jump and slide like in Origins. Maybe also mechanics to shoot your fists diagonally or upward, to make combat potential or navigation (like grappling etc) more versatile. It’s something I def wanna play with and make a demonstration for at some point, and see if there’s interest in anyone working with me to make it. We’ll see, I guess!

I was also brainstorming mechanics for four different characters under this play style, that went something like this:
RAYMAN
jump action - helicopter, glide down slowly as you do, easiest recovery
attack - throws fists of course, mid-higher range, mid-lower strength

BARBARA
jump action - hover, think like peach, using the wings on helmet, second easiest recovery
attack - two axes that boomerang back, mid-lower range, mid-higher strength

GLOBOX
jump action - flutter jump ala yoshi, flaps his arms for height every other second, second hardest recovery
attack - arms/hands like those slappy gum hands, lowest range, highest strength

LY
jump action - double jump, can scale higher/faster but you gotta commit and can’t float down slowly anywhere, hardest recovery
attack - energy balls ala rayman2, highest range, lowest strength
With this in mind it’s like the groundwork for a four player game, but I think I’d start off just by scaling back and just elaborating on Rayman first. :)
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

Two test animations, to kinda show what the art direction would look like in motion.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

The animations look great! What software do you use to make them?
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

I'm using Firealpaca's animation tool! Just kinda turning my art in that program into GIFs with it.

Here's a sneak peek of how the next ones will look.

Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

azoo wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:27 am I'm using Firealpaca's animation tool! Just kinda turning my art in that program into GIFs with it.
Thanks, I didn't know about that program and it seems that you can get if for free. Great job with the animations!
azoo
Lums Jaune

Post by azoo »

Thank you so much!

I’m having a fun time drawing these, though admittedly wish it were a 3D game I could work for, despite that being out of my grasp, lol. Maybe someday.

Game design stuff is as follows for this 2D setup:
Left stick - move (left/right), crouch/crawl (down), aim (up/diagonal)
A Button - jump, helicopter (in air), wall jump (on wall)
X Button - Punch, Charged punch (held)
R Trigger - Sprint (left/right), Slide (down)
R + X - Short punch, Spin punch (left/right), kick (air), Ground Pound (air+down)

The plan is to do animations for each of these, hopefully before I burn out lol.
DavidSosa
Ptizêtre Ninja
Tings: 3455

Post by DavidSosa »

It´s amazing, sadly i can not animate, but i can give a lot of my Rayman knowledge to make the story more open and crazy!

I call myself `Rayman Bible´ :fou: bcuz i know EVERYTHING about Rayman and his friends.

You should add the Electoons cages idea in your fangame, finding cages and destroying them to save the Electoons looks awesome, also a Online leaderboard would be great (if you know how to code it :hinhinhin: )

In my case if this was my fangame i would do the next:

-add rayman 1 elements (livingstones, electoons cages, funni clowns,etc)

-add ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssam because i like him

-make a reference to globox moment

-teensies

-world map to rayman style

-omg codes and cheats

-possibility to make 3 save files

-omg online leaderboards :paranormal:

-add robopirates

-the rayman 3 temporal powers (the detergent powers, yall know)

-other cool things
i hate myself
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

I like the art style, this is very promising!