Rayman 1 Expert - 82 New Levels

Show off your arty creativity here! Post fanfics, paintings, drawings, and anything Rayman that you have made!

Moderator: English moderators

Chacanger
Obus à Pattes
Tings: 495

Rayman 1 Expert - 82 New Levels

Post by Chacanger »

A few years back I remember stumbling across a Rayman 1 review by Caddicarus and remembered him saying the game was to hard and people in the comments were saying things like "This game wasn't play tested" to which I thought, that's a load of <insert word here>.

So naturally I decided to make a more unfair hard version of the game that contains 82 new levels, with the difficulty ramping up from a moderate Bongo Hills'esque level of difficulty at the start of the game to an almost Glackum Rayman Designer level of difficulty.

As of the 2022-09-22 about 54 levels have been created, sticking to the formula of 6 cages each level, betilla stages, bonus stages, bosses etc.

Here are some screenshots...
Attachments
RaymanCOMP.png
RaymanCOMP.png (255.82 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
Last edited by Chacanger on Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 105578

Re: Rayman 1 Expert - 82 New Levels

Post by Adsolution »

Whoa that pink dream forest background- lovely! I want to give this a try when you're done. This is directly modifying the original game, not designer, right?
Chacanger
Obus à Pattes

Post by Chacanger »

Adsolution wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:58 pm Whoa that pink dream forest background- lovely!
Yeah, was kind of a random change I ended up liking after playing around with the hue in a screenshot; and also the levels name had the word purple in it I just wanted to make it look pink/purpleish.

I made a small edit to a Blue Mountain one because I always thought the top part looked a bit harsh (see below screenshot)
Adsolution wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:58 pm I want to give this a try when you're done.
Hopefully, I follow this one through all the way seeing as the tools are available to do so. Be warned though it can get a bit hard towards the end game.
Adsolution wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:58 pm This is directly modifying the original game, not designer, right?
Yep, the original game (PC for the time being, but I have plans to release a PS1 version later on), you'll need to own the original game to play it as I won't be distributing the EXE, just new LEV, WLD and DAT files which I will create an installer for.
Attachments
BMPALCHNG.png
BMPALCHNG.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1194 times
RaymanRedemption
Ptizêtre Vert
Tings: 1385

Post by RaymanRedemption »

Wow, it looks good!
Sad that it's not intended for casual players but it's still interesting to see.

Can we already play the 41 existing levels somewhere?
Hi there! :)

You can find some Rayman Designer levels here: https://discord.gg/764bNKpmSQ
ItzalDrake
Henchman 800
Tings: 832

Post by ItzalDrake »

I have never hated the difficulty of Rayman 1, I have no memory of it but my parents always told me that I loved to play Rayman 1 despite it was too hard especially for a 3 years old kid like me :lol:
Well, I can't wait to try to test my patience with this mod! :D
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 594419

Post by Hunchman801 »

While I'm sure I won't get to the end of it, being a very casual player for the most part, I still think it's a great idea and I'll give it a try for sure when it comes out! :up:
Chacanger
Obus à Pattes

Post by Chacanger »

I think casual players will probably be ok up until the Hard Rocks equivalent, then they'll struggle a bit. Picture City gets very hard and as for the Caves of Skops well... lets just say the Eat at Joes 2 equivalent (aka the firefly level) will give some people Nyctophobia.

I was considering setting up an option in the installer to create save files that give you the opportunity to choose a slightly easier 99 lives (with continues) mode or the usual 3 (with continues). You could just cheat them in but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.
Burtek
Lums Bleu
Tings: 100

Post by Burtek »

tbh if you added an option to be able to finish the mod without all cages that would automatically make it easier for casual players than the base game (also yes please do that if possible thanks)
lol
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Chacanger wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:10 pm I was considering setting up an option in the installer to create save files that give you the opportunity to choose a slightly easier 99 lives (with continues) mode or the usual 3 (with continues). You could just cheat them in but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.
I think there's no harm in offering such easier options: no one is forced to use them, after all.
Chacanger
Obus à Pattes

Post by Chacanger »

Just a small update with this project.

It's taking me quite a bit longer than I'd hoped for in order to make levels.

I'm struggling a bit to make decent Band Land levels due to the lack of interesting combinations I can make with the tileset which is odd considering it's one of (if not the easiest tileset) to work with for most people; it's also probably down to the fact the world has so many levels (like Bongo Hills). Personally I'm finding that the natural worlds are easier for me to create like the Blue Mountains.

Still, 49 levels are pretty much done (maybe a few tweaks here and there)

I was considering making a playable demo, but not sure what level I'd pick at the moment.
hoodlumsworld
Barbara
Tings: 11000

Post by hoodlumsworld »

Are the levels entirely different from the original or do you try to retain some of the overall level design?
Chacanger
Obus à Pattes

Post by Chacanger »

hoodlumsworld wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:04 am Are the levels entirely different from the original or do you try to retain some of the overall level design?
Pretty much entirely different, on occasion there are elements of the original levels due to the way the game requires certain events to happen at certain level slots.

For example, the Musician has to appear in the Mr Stone's Peaks level 1 slot, the Bzzit boss has to happen in the Anguish Lagoon 2 slot etc.

I could have gone down the route of "just add some more spikes" to existing levels, but I wanted to create something a bit more interesting, also gives me chance to demonstrate some new level obstacles that I can guarantee no one's seen before.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Have you been able to make the boss battles more difficult? Editing their behavior sounds significantly harder than coming up with new level design, but I imagine you don't want them to feel too underwhelming compared to the other levels whose difficulty was increased a lot.
Chacanger
Obus à Pattes

Post by Chacanger »

Hunchman801 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:24 am Have you been able to make the boss battles more difficult? Editing their behavior sounds significantly harder than coming up with new level design, but I imagine you don't want them to feel too underwhelming compared to the other levels whose difficulty was increased a lot.
I'll admit, it'll be tricky to come up with something different for the bosses.

We've seen slippery and Dark Rayman mods that make them more difficult, so I'll need to come up with something else if I can.

I have some idea's in mind for some bosses though as some bosses have command line behaviours I can edit, I can also change the World files animations which may allow me to create custom patterns.

It'll take some experimentation but also need to be done in a way that doesn't make you take obligatory damage.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Good luck with that! I must admit that slippery tiles and Bad Rayman, though not quite new, would probably work well (in combination with some other obstacles if you're really gonna push it :bad:).
Chacanger
Obus à Pattes

Post by Chacanger »

I was testing a level a few months back and ended up getting a weird glitch that froze the game and presented a load of characters on screen...
WTF_Rayman.png
WTF_Rayman.png (47.47 KiB) Viewed 264 times
I couldn't recreate it, but another different freezing issue came up in the same level at a different section that brought up errors in the console (I didn't manage to get a screenshot of that).

Anyhow as of writing this I've managed to complete 54 levels now (would be 55 but one need a revisit) which leaves me with 28 to go.

Here is a preview of what's to come (a UFO maze!)...
rayman_083.png
rayman_083.png (18.36 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Zalgo Rayman? That's great inspiration for a new creepypasta. :lol:
Chacanger
Obus à Pattes

Post by Chacanger »

It reminded me of those ASCII based games you could play on MS DOS or Command Prompt...

ItzalDrake
Henchman 800
Tings: 832

Post by ItzalDrake »

Hehe this glitch is pretty creepy :lol:
PluMGMK
Olympia
Tings: 32010

Post by PluMGMK »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:43 pm Zalgo Rayman? That's great inspiration for a new creepypasta. :lol:
I guess the game is somehow ending up on a codepath where it calls int 21h AH=09h with a nonsense buffer in DS:DX and then throws an exception that gets it caught in an infinite loop.

Either a bitflip or a really bad race condition :hap: