Rayman 2 Soundtrack OST (FLAC, 44kHz) - PSX rip, Revolution and Remastered

Talk about the Rayman music website.

Moderators: Droolie, English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
kooz
Moussu
Tings: 1195

Re: Rayman 2 High Quality (Audio CD - 44kHz) Soundtrack

Post by kooz »

Great work deton! I just got around to checking this out, and it really sounds fantastic. Though I have to say, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the idea of remastering the complete soundtrack using multiple sources. Hopefully the transition in quality (not only between songs, but within them as well) isn't too jarring to keep this from becoming a reality. Some of my favorite tracks (i.e. The Top of the World) are really butchered on the PSX in comparison to their full-version counterparts. And of course, some tracks are missing altogether, but that's just the reality of things. As far as creating a PSX version OST, you did an excellent job. I can well imagine the amount of effort it must have taken.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik
Tings: 8652

Post by deton24 »

Nice to see you Kooz.
Yeah, it was, I'm glad that you appreciate that.
Actually, even this 44kHz PSX version sometimes fits for remastering purposes - old samples, uneven quality; but it's very demanding to do such thing (but I started a little, though).
It would be very nice if some audio engineer would appear, or sb with mastering skills, just to look at project files, already remastered music. I don't have an equipment which I suppose to have.
I think that around 10-15 tracks left, ~35-37 from RR, are done.
The Top of the World consists of 3 parts. PSX has only one.
I made two versions already, of the last part (so it would be better to at least improve it a little).
If you have some special list of favourite tracks, do not hesitate to give it.
One mistake that I made, is that I worked on PS2 files, while DC has PCM uncompressed files, so it could be better then, but it's not that bad currently.
Still, it will take some time to put this all things together. Correct order will be preserved.
Greetings.
Last edited by deton24 on Wed May 01, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kooz
Moussu

Post by kooz »

I haven't checked out the newly remastered files yet, but if I understand correctly you have run the PS2 rip through some enhancement/restoration plug-in? This seems like it could be a good way to bridge the gap in quality between PSX and DC/PS2 versions.

My proposal for a near-perfect complete soundtrack was mentioned a few years ago in this thread, but I'll summarize (including the new remastering idea):

- First off, it needs to be determined which version (DC or PS2) actually sounds better. *edit: false* The DC version does *not* use uncompressed PCM. It uses a variant of ADPCM (lossy compression) called ADX. I can't remember what format the PS2 version is encoded in. Either way, I think a side-by-side listening comparison is the right way to determine which one is best.

- Construct a preliminary version of a full soundtrack from the segmented/converted DC or PS2 (again, whichever one sounds best) ripped files by using playlists.

- Match DC/PS2 segments with their identical PSX counterparts, and mark them in the playlist for replacement.

- Compare DC/PS2 segments with their identical PSX counterparts, tweak remastering software settings to DC/PS2 segments to get the closest possible match to the way the PSX segments sound.

- Apply the remastering software using above settings to all DC/PS2 segments universally.

- Replace DC/PS2 segments with their identical PSX counterparts in the playlist.

- Join segments, paying close attention to continuity. Make global adjustment to volume of PSX segments if necessary.

- Finish up the soundtrack with the usual level of polish. Loop/fade/add silence when appropriate. Ensure all tracks begin/end at 0dB. Tag, encode, etc.

- Enjoy knowing this is the best sounding, most complete Rayman 2 soundtrack that ever has, or likely ever will exist. Receive praise and experience satisfaction.
Last edited by kooz on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik

Post by deton24 »

Quickly I'll answer, cos I just leaving. Most of this job is done. Used Droolie's PS2 rip is complete and done. I worked with it's flacs. I have DC segments, I need to arrange them. DC sounds better than PS2 (excluding RR), maybe it's compressed, but less (PS2 has around 200 bitrate). But that would be minority of tracks to work with DC files.
Thank you for respects.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik

Post by deton24 »

Recent find. It seems like it was not necessary that I hardly separated every single segment from one file. If somebody wants to unpack separated loops from PSX's CD, just use ADPCM Player v1.44h with file THEME.VAG, and set interleave to 800. Loops/segments are separated. But there are no filenames.
Here should be the same, but named, as in 1st post (my own job) loops/segments:
https://yadi.sk/d/y4mXJtI2rQmhh
Just for the record.

Still there are some minor updates with remastered files.
Last edited by deton24 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kooz
Moussu

Post by kooz »

deton24 wrote:Quickly I'll answer, cos I just leaving. Most of this job is done. Used Droolie's PS2 rip is complete and done. I worked with it's flacs. I have DC segments, I need to arrange them. DC sounds better than PS2 (excluding RR), maybe it's compressed, but less (PS2 has around 200 bitrate). But that would be minority of tracks to work with DC files.
Thank you for respects.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Are you saying you are using Droolie's PS2 rip for the majority of material that is missing from PSX? If the DC version sounds better than PS2, shouldn't DC take priority?

If DC sounds better, I would think the source preference hierarchy would be:

1.) PSX - all segments
2.) DC - any segments not covered by PSX
3.) PS2 - any segments not covered by PSX or DC (unique to Revolution?)
kooz
Moussu

Post by kooz »

Okay, cool =)

BTW, I was extracting some original game files for a personal DC vs. PS2 quality comparison and realized I was incorrect earlier regarding the DC audio format. My apologies. Also, I scripted some of the file splitting/naming but was wondering if there are any tools already available (for DC and PS2). Looking to get the raw stream segments in their native formats.
DandyGuy
Ptizêtre Ermite
Tings: 1772

Re: Rayman 2 Soundtrack (FLAC - High Quality - 44kHz)

Post by DandyGuy »

Many thanks for your hard work deton :D
deton24
Garatta Ciatik

Re: Rayman 2 Soundtrack (FLAC - High Quality - 44kHz)

Post by deton24 »

You're welcome.
Now I need some reviews of tracks placed in folder "44 khz remaster", or your own enhanced versions of those files, maybe in base of these different versions of the same tracks included. I looking for reviews which versions are the best, or some enhancements on these files.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Here you can download all files in one zip archive: (it may be less up to date than first link)
https://yadi.sk/d/07ZZRV-grQmgZ

All tracks inside this package has been remastered, and some of them still needs some improvements.
I don't have an equipment which I suppose to have on this purposes, to make all tracks sound as they should so I need a little help and opinions on different versions of the tracks.

These 44kHz files are a little hard for a good remaster, because they have noise in every track, and they start to sound too high during tweaking.
Probably clear sample of noise is in the 'entering pirate ship', in game files, or mine cut ones, not in final files, because I was deleting that silence in my files.
http://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0#p1147853
But for now it remains how it is done now, and you're welcome to say any remarks about quality of particular versions of tracks.
Last edited by deton24 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik

Re: Rayman 2 Soundtrack (FLAC -High Quality - 44kHz)& Revolution

Post by deton24 »

I neglected this topic a little.
I need to finish picking the best remastered versions of files, create those which lack, tag files, put in order.
But I need to introduce few improvements into my soundsystem. But the most important now is my health, and I suffer from lack of time. Also a disease.

It not means there were no updates.
Something is done with

Cave of Bad Dreams, Sanctuary of Stone and Fire, Woods of Life (rather beta), Canopy (beginning waits for replacement), Machine, Dark Swamp, new Water and Ice version waits for processing.

And still I have lots of files on my HDD initially crystalized for further post processing, which need to be polished etc. So lot of work waits, and still nobody wants to help. And I have no time.

Pity that there were no people willing to say anything about remastered files, but, ok.

So you are still welcome to write here anytime

Update! 18-08-17

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0zgoPTJGTn4T2RneGVFTzdwbTA?usp=sharing
Here you can listen and download mix of selected remastered files with PSX version files. The most complete option, just to play and listen everything in HQ one by one. When you click on this link, you can just push the button "download all" there.

edit
Current tracklist for remastered music 16-07-16:

sorry but i don't know how to resize pictures in bbcode.
deton24
Garatta Ciatik

Re: Rayman 2 Soundtrack (FLAC High Quality - 44kHz)& Revolution

Post by deton24 »

If you haven't seen, soundtrack repository had been updated some time ago.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Here you can listen and download a mix of selected remastered files with PSX version files. The complete option, just to play and listen to everything in HQ one by one. When you click on this link, you can just push the button "download all" there. There are no double files of the same track anymore in this folder.

Currently, there are 46 tracks remastered, and more than half of it, from 22kHz to 44kHz! (never released before in such quality).
Rest of the tracks state rest of the original 44kHz PSX-only files.
Overall size: 1.06GB
In case of any errors while downloading, go into incognito mode of the browser.

New tracks: Polokus, I’ll miss my friend, Weak Clark (early v.)
Beta (bad source): Prologue, riding marshes, The top of the world.
2 parts of Whale Bay pt.2 merged, Cave of Bad Dreams enhanced, Dark Swamp merged/fixed
And as above, I made a selection of different track’s versions as a compilation for normal listening, including all I made or extracted in better quality than 22KHz.
Fifo,soleil,quenelle
Super Lums Jaune
Tings: 195

Post by Fifo,soleil,quenelle »

Looks like poor quality shit.
La quenelle se décline en plusieurs tailles, à jauger en fonction du succès de l’action : petite quenelle, quenelle de 12, quenelle de 40, de 175, quenelle épaulée, etc. Plus la quenelle est longue, plus, bien entendu, le bras d’honneur est profond et procure satisfaction à son auteur. :)
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

In my opinion, nice work deton24 :P
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687
NMM
Électoon
Tings: 5

Post by NMM »

Could someone upload the PSX bigfile/original sound files?
Fifo
Joe
Tings: 78355

Post by Fifo »

NMM wrote:Could someone upload the PSX bigfile/original sound files?
I would if my disc was still good. It’s got some scratches. :(

If you don’t mind the faults, here you go: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xvy ... /THEME.VAG
Steo
Globox
Tings: 91547

Post by Steo »

I want to bump this nice work so people can see it again. It seems to have been buried by something I don't want to mention. I think the Rayman 2 soundtrack is amazing and this deserves to be on the first page again.
FC: 40210 | CF: 103059 | BOM: 94388 | LOTLD: 120486 | DOTK: 110450 | LS: 40810 | SBTC: 99693 | HH: 100028 | TOTL: 100563

TOTAL: 809687