Adding missing information to featured RayWiki articles

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Ray502
Magicien
Tings: 52095

Adding missing information to featured RayWiki articles

Post by Ray502 »

As I was reading over the main page of RayWiki, I come across certain things that are in need of focusing on.
RayWiki on Things to do wrote:Expand the Rayman Legends levels articles and everything else related to said game.
Expand the Rayman Origins levels articles and everything else related to said game.
Gather more information about the Rayman betas.
Expand the Rayman 3 levels articles.
Expand the Rayman Raving Rabbids (GBA) levels articles.
Expand the Rayman M levels articles.
Add more images to the Rayman Hoodlums' Revenge levels articles.
Create the remaining pages for the enemies in Rayman Legends.
Create the remaining pages for the levels in Rayman Designer.
As of right now, I have finished on adding a ton of information to the levels for Rayman 3. And for Rayman Designer, Carrot created the remaining pages and I added extra information to all of them. I have also added missing information that was needed for the Walk of Power article. So basically right now, I would like to know who will focus on what, and when that course of action will be taken. For me, I'm probably going to focus next on expanding levels from Rayman M/Arena.
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Re: Adding missing information to featured RayWiki articles

Post by Master »

I think the big issue is the UbiArt titles, we've managed to fix a lot of the classic era titles, but very little work has been done with the UbiArt era ones.
Ray502
Magicien

Post by Ray502 »

Ah. I have already began on that, adding information to Jibberish Jungle. I probably better replay RO to make sure the information I have added and will add is correct and reliable.
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Best of luck! Last time I tried doing the UbiArt articles, I ended up burning out rather quickly. So don't be afraid to pace yourself.
Ray502
Magicien

Post by Ray502 »

Well this is going to take a lot longer than I thought. The Swinging Caves article was nearly empty, but I was able to add everything that was required for it to no longer be a complete stub. Here's how it looks like now:

https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Swinging_Caves

I'm going to need some assistance in acquiring photos for most of the levels. I ran out on finding any from searching.

RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Post by RayCarrot »

As I'm not so good at level descriptions myself, I've been focusing more on other things, such as expanding general content. I've for example been adding a bunch of achievement lists, more pictures from files/early production and expanding the Ubi-art mobile game articles (especially Adventures and Fiesta Run) as well as anything related to Designer. I made a list on my user page on things I found important to expand upon, so that's probably what I'll be focusing on atm. I'm specifically thinking about creating the remaining articles for Rayman GBC soon.
As for Origins pictures, I can try getting some myself. I'll have to connect my laptop to my TV screen in order to get 1080p screenshots, but that should work fine. Too bad you can' take screenshots directly from a PS3 since that'd been much easier... I could however try getting a few from Back to Origins in Legends on my PS4 since that takes full 1080p screenshots. Though I guess it's always best having the screenshots from Origins itself, rather than Back to Origins.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

Ray502 wrote:Well this is going to take a lot longer than I thought. The Swinging Caves article was nearly empty, but I was able to add everything that was required for it to no longer be a complete stub. Here's how it looks like now:

https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Swinging_Caves
Great job, it is indeed going to take some time are there are many level and world articles lacking in content. I fixed a few of your links in that article by the way, please have a look at my diff to see what I changed. ;)
Ray502 wrote:I'm going to need some assistance in acquiring photos for most of the levels. I ran out on finding any from searching.
You're probably better off not using images found on the internet, they're often pretty bad and RayWiki has strict quality standards for images. I've create an image requests topic, please ask for them there and hopefully someone will help!
Carrot-master wrote:As for Origins pictures, I can try getting some myself. I'll have to connect my laptop to my TV screen in order to get 1080p screenshots, but that should work fine. Too bad you can' take screenshots directly from a PS3 since that'd been much easier... I could however try getting a few from Back to Origins in Legends on my PS4 since that takes full 1080p screenshots. Though I guess it's always best having the screenshots from Origins itself, rather than Back to Origins.
Great news! Back to Origins screens are welcome, but only in the Back to Origins section of the level articles; the main section will have to contain articles from the original version indeed. Great job by the way! :)
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

I took a bunch of Origins screenshots and added them to the wiki now. It's was a bit harder than I thought as my computer had trouble handling the game in 1080p, but it worked at least. I'll be getting more screenshots for the remaining articles in the next couple of days.
@Ray502 I'll probably be putting the pictures in a gallery at the bottom of each article for now since there's barely any text to put them by, so when you expand the articles you can always change the placement of the pictures to better suite the article.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

I think I have a bunch of Origins and Legends pictures I put up on the wiki but never got around to putting in articles. Might be worth checking: https://raymanpc.com/wiki/script-en/ind ... 7&month=-1
Ray502
Magicien

Post by Ray502 »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I've finished adding information to the Jibberish Jungle world and its levels. I'll be focusing now on the next world, Desert of Dijiridoos.
Hunchman801 wrote:I fixed a few of your links in that article by the way, please have a look at my diff to see what I changed. ;)
Thank you, fellow gangster. 8)

Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Nice, I also fixed a couple things there, so don't hesitate to read the manual of style again, it's quite useful!
Ray502
Magicien

Post by Ray502 »

After expanding the Rayman 3 levels articles by a lot last week, I did some finalizing the past few days by minor expanding and fixing up some things. You be surprised how much I put in, but not too much. :mrgreen: So with that done, here's what the list of "Things to do" should be as of now. Doesn't seem it will let me change it.
RayWiki on Things to do as of 2-23-17 wrote:Expand the Rayman Legends levels articles and everything else related to said game.
Expand the Rayman Origins levels articles and everything else related to said game.
Gather more information about the Rayman betas.
Expand the Rayman Raving Rabbids (GBA) levels articles.
Expand the Rayman M levels articles.
Add more images to the Rayman Hoodlums' Revenge levels articles.
Create the remaining pages for the enemies in Rayman Legends.
EDIT: I can probably add images to the Rayman Hoodlum's Revenge levels articles using the Virtual Gameboy picture taking feature. Though I'll still need help with adding photos to the RO levels, starting with Crazy Bouncing.

RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

I updated the to-do list now. About GBA screenshots, remember that they have to be taken at native resolution (no upscaling, shading, stretching etc.)
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I found emulators quite convenient to get pictures from GBA games.

Also, try to be more specific about the images you need (which parts of the level exactly).
Ray502
Magicien

Post by Ray502 »

Hunchman801 wrote:Also, try to be more specific about the images you need (which parts of the level exactly).
Every other area, including the secret areas would be enough I suppose.

Anyways, I'm looking over on how the links are, and I've been wondering for a while now on what's the more recommended way to do the linking. I'll give some examples for clarification. The red is the difference between the two.

Example: [[Betilla]] will then give [[Rayman]] and his friends the ability to attack. She did the same to [[Rayman]] in ''[[Rayman 1|the original Rayman game]]''.

Example 2 (How I link them): [[Betilla]] will then give [[Rayman]] and his friends the ability to attack. She did the same to Rayman in ''[[Rayman 1|the original Rayman game]]''.

Master
Rayman 1

Post by Master »

Don't quote me on this, but I believe you link the first instance of an item within a section, if it appears again after that in the same section, leave it be.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Ray502 wrote:Anyways, I'm looking over on how the links are, and I've been wondering for a while now on what's the more recommended way to do the linking. I'll give some examples for clarification. The red is the difference between the two.

Example: [[Betilla]] will then give [[Rayman]] and his friends the ability to attack. She did the same to [[Rayman]] in ''[[Rayman 1|the original Rayman game]]''.

Example 2 (How I link them): [[Betilla]] will then give [[Rayman]] and his friends the ability to attack. She did the same to Rayman in ''[[Rayman 1|the original Rayman game]]''.
From the RayWiki manual of style, links section:
The manual wrote:If the name shows up again, a link needs to be added too, unless it is in a section title.
So, Master is right: don't quote him on this. ;)

More generally, and I can never say it enough: please read the manual.
Ray502
Magicien

Post by Ray502 »

Excellent, I have been doing it correctly. I was asking because I thought that someone adjusted some links to where it appears twice for a specific character in the Swinging Caves article.

While I'm finishing up on adding information to the Desert of Dijiridoos levels, I'm also working on adding photos to the Rayman: Hoodlums' Revenge level articles. So far I've added about eight photos to the two articles I've done so far (the first two levels). I'm also adding information to the levels articles so they won't be stubs. This shouldn't take long as it only took about an hour and a half to do the two articles so I'll be done with that in about a week at the earliest.

RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

Ray502 wrote:While I'm finishing up on adding information to the Desert of Dijiridoos levels, I'm also working on adding photos to the Rayman: Hoodlums' Revenge level articles. So far I've added about eight photos to the two articles I've done so far (the first two levels). I'm also adding information to the levels articles so they won't be stubs. This shouldn't take long as it only took about an hour and a half to do the two articles so I'll be done with that in about a week at the earliest.
Awesome! After this I believe RRR GBA is the last GBA handheld spin-off with stub level articles.
I've been taking a bunch of Origins screenshots for the Desert levels and I'm in the process of uploading and adding them now.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Great job, guys!

Also, since you're getting more familiar with the wiki, here's another thing you can (should!) do that will make a big difference: always add the required templates and categories when uploading an image.

For all in-game screenshots, you'll need the Image and ImageOK (or ImageNotOK, but images that don't meet our quality standards should only be uploaded as a last resort) templates, and one of these categories (Images from…). Here's an example.

For artistict content, the categories are the following: Artworks from… Here's an example.

There are huge benefits to doing this: not only are images categorized and therefore easily searchable, the metadata allows anyone to quickly verify which version of what game it was taken from, something that is sometimes far from obvious!

Sadly, we still have 795 uncategorized images on the wiki, that's a long way to go!