Template updating

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Template updating

Post by RayCarrot »

After having edited the wiki a couple of days now I've got some suggestions for templates.

1. No world-specific ones
Several games, like Rayman 1, Origins and Legends, have world-specific level templates instead of one for the entire game. In my opinion this makes navigation much harder since there are no direct links to all of the other levels of the game. Several other games, like Rayman 2, have just one template for the game which I feel is more convenient when navigating.

Examples:
World template: https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Template:JibberishJungle
Game template: https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Template:Rayman2worlds

This could essentially make less templates needing to be used on pages, such as this one which currently has 3 different ones:
https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Jibberish_Jungle

2. Changing Rayman Series
The Rayman Series template is pretty messy as it is now. I tried cleaning it up a bit by separating ports/remakes from game-packs/compilations since they're two different categories. Separating old Java mobile games with new smartphone games might be good to do as well. The Rabbids section is also fairly incomplete, though I'm not sure if putting all Rabbid games there is really a good idea. Maybe it's best keeping the Rabbid games with Rayman in the title there and then having the rest on the separate Rabbid template.

3. Images
I did also have this idea of adding small images representing each game and I made a quick test in the discussion page:
https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Template_t ... man_series
It's not prefect, but I feel it could make finding the right game a lot easier and quicker since there are now familiar images, as well as the text.

4. The Rayman 3 Level template
I added the list of Matuvus and Tribelles to the Rayman 3 level template as well, which I hope was fine.

Example: https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/The_Longest_Shortcut

It might look better having the cages, matuvus and tribelles on the same row, but I didn't manage to get right without messing up the positioning of the pictures in the number template.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Re: Template updating

Post by Master »

I've complained about the excess of templates for the 2D world templates in the past, I'm all for reform there. I too would like a template which is akin to the Rayman2Worlds template. The basic structure for a R1Worlds template is already there in the Rayman 1 general template, so it shouldn't be too much of an effort to make a R1Worlds template from that.

To adding images to the Rayman series template, I'm going say nay. I appreciate that it'd help in signifying each title, but I fear it'd end up creating unnecessary clutter in the process.

As for the addition to the R3 template, I don't think I see any issues there, though I agree it'd be nice to get them on the same row. I gave it a quick shot myself, I've put the Matuvu and Tribelle numbers on the same row, and the cages on its own. Not exactly what you wanted, but I think it's more compact now.
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez »

Speaking of templates, I finally created a character template for Rayman Adventures with the help of Humch. Now the exclusive Rayman Adventures characters can easily be found and organized.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Ah yes, I caught a glimpse when I was browsing through the recent changes. I'm wondering if we should do away with custom coloured templates, and use the unified colour scheme that's used in the CSS.
Bradandez
Dora Dodemer
Tings: 137530

Post by Bradandez »

Master wrote:Ah yes, I caught a glimpse when I was browsing through the recent changes. I'm wondering if we should do away with custom coloured templates, and use the unified colour scheme that's used in the CSS.
I say no. The different colored templates gives each game it's own identity and if we got rid of them, then all the games would look the same and not that easy to identify them.
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

Master wrote:I've complained about the excess of templates for the 2D world templates in the past, I'm all for reform there. I too would like a template which is akin to the Rayman2Worlds template. The basic structure for a R1Worlds template is already there in the Rayman 1 general template, so it shouldn't be too much of an effort to make a R1Worlds template from that.
You mean this one, right?
https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Template:Rayman_1
Should we use the entire template for the levels, or should I make a new one with just the levels section to avoid having a too large template on each level?
Also, if we use these new type of templates for the entire game, will the images have to be removed then? Like for the Pink Plant Woods template, there's an image of the loading screen next to it which is quite nice.
Master wrote:As for the addition to the R3 template, I don't think I see any issues there, though I agree it'd be nice to get them on the same row. I gave it a quick shot myself, I've put the Matuvu and Tribelle numbers on the same row, and the cages on its own. Not exactly what you wanted, but I think it's more compact now.
Thanks, that's much better! I see now that all three probably wouldn't fit on the same row anyway, so this'll do.
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

I created a Rayman 1 world template now and added it to all levels, as well as a standard level template for Rayman 1 showing the previous and next level like for Rayman 2.
https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Template:Rayman1locations
Last edited by RayCarrot on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

1. Great job here. I was against the removal of world specific templates because they were a great way to quickly access the article for the next level, but the new Rayman 1 level template solves the problem. I've just renamed the header of the navigation templates from “Worlds from Rayman” to “Locations from Rayman” as it contains both worlds and levels.

2. The Rayman series template looks all right to me as of now.

3. Like I said here, I don't think adding images is a good idea.

4. Good idea, though you called the variable “mutuvus”, had to fix that. :P
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

Thanks! So I can continue with the new templates for Origins and Legends then? I believe they already have level specific ones with links to the next and previous levels.

Regarding the images, I agree that it doesn't look all too great. But I still feel like it's very hard to find specific games in the big list. But I guess there's not really much to do about it. Talking about templates, I added a bunch more games to the Rabbids series one as it was fairly incomplete. I however can't really write anything in the articles since I don't own the games.

Oops, that was just a typo :P Thanks for noticing and fixing it!
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Carrot-master wrote:Thanks! So I can continue with the new templates for Origins and Legends then? I believe they already have level specific ones with links to the next and previous levels.
Yep, sounds like a good idea. And if you feel like expanding some of those RO/RL location articles, by all means, please do. They're in bad need of content, especially world articles!
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78135

Post by The Jonster »

Hmmmmm....
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78135

Post by The Jonster »

I can't think of an answer to this thread, except the templates look good!
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

Btw, I added the R3Level, R3Score and R3ScoreIcon templates to the spanish wiki, some parameters where translated but some of them were left in english (like "murfysscore" or "maxscore") because I thought they were easier to type than the spanish counterparts. Other templates in the spanish wiki kept all the english parameters, others were translated. I don't know what should be done.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Spanish names might be better, though English makes it much easier to copy-paste templates from the English wiki when translating stuff. Either way, we should stick to one or the other: which seems the most used across the Spanish wiki?
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 pm Spanish names might be better, though English makes it much easier to copy-paste templates from the English wiki when translating stuff. Either way, we should stick to one or the other: which seems the most used across the Spanish wiki?
Most of the templates in the category "Fichas" kept the english parameters in the code. In fact there are a lot of templates that even kept the english name (like: Clear, Quote and the ones for the levels).
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

It's probably best to save ourselves the hassle of going through every template and every article that includes a template, and leave the English names for now. Our time will be put to better use adding new content.

One idea, however, would be to have the English template act as some sort of a redirect by including the Spanish template (with the corresponding parameter names), but that would leave two templates to maintain instead of just one, until everything has been transferred to the Spanish templates, that is. Once again, this is probably not an urgent matter.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:02 pm It's probably best to save ourselves the hassle of going through every template and every article that includes a template, and leave the English names for now. Our time will be put to better use adding new content.

One idea, however, would be to have the English template act as some sort of a redirect by including the Spanish template (with the corresponding parameter names), but that would leave two templates to maintain instead of just one, until everything has been transferred to the Spanish templates, that is. Once again, this is probably not an urgent matter.
I don't quite understand what you mean by having a template act as a redirect (I'm not good enough with code). But for the time being I'll change the code of the R3 templates that I addded, so all the parameters are in english (only the template descriptions and the text that is actually displayed will be in spanish).

I know that it is bothersome to deal with this kind of stuff, but I wanted to ask in case more templates are created/used in the spanish wiki.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

No worries, I'll give it a try some day when I have time, it'll probably be much easier to understand when you see it. But like I said, there's more urgent stuff to work on for now!