British English or American English?

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Ray502
Magicien
Tings: 52095

British English or American English?

Post by Ray502 »

As I was editing several articles, I repeatedly saw the word: "colourful." Firefox has spell check, and every time that word is on the article, the red line appears underneath. So I decided to change it to: "colorful." I researched that certain spelling way, and learned that it is called British English. What part of the English spelling system do the articles prefer? British, or American?
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Re: British English or American English?

Post by Master »

Eh, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it really matters. I decided to look at the policy Wikipedia has: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... of_English

General gist is that it's not a big deal, but you should try following the style the article was written in.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

Ray502 wrote:As I was editing several articles, I repeatedly saw the word: "colourful." Firefox has spell check, and every time that word is on the article, the red line appears underneath. So I decided to change it to: "colorful." I researched that certain spelling way, and learned that it is called British English.
Are you serious? I'm not necessarily blaming you for not knowing this, but the existence of British/American English is one of those things everybody knows, like Celcius/Fahrenheit. It's like being confounded by sources stating that the freezing point of water is 0 degrees and correcting it to 32. Not just that, but the spelling of colour/color especially - it's probably the biggest English-culture meme to ever exit next burgers and tea.

What the hell do they teach you in Florida hick schools? Most famous literary works are by British authours, so did they just give you the all-American treatment?

Only the US uses American spelling; Canada, the UK, and virtually all other English-speaking countries use British English or some varient of it.

If we had to pick only one to use for the entire wiki, I would suggest British given the series' European roots and largely European fanbase. Generally though, like Master said, it doesn't matter too much as long as there's some consistency within the articles themselves.
Ray502
Magicien
Tings: 52095

Post by Ray502 »

There hasn't been an English lesson yet where the main topic is about British vs. American spelling. There most likely were some literature works I read in the past and recently with many of the members that have used the British way of spelling, but I've never sat down and analyzed it; because once again, no lesson has focused strictly on the British style of spelling and whether or not Americans should use it or not. After this year, I'll have two more of HS left, so maybe the lessons will focus more on that particular subject.

About the articles, I'll keep it at British English, since that's how it originally was.
FC: 37.699 | CF: 107.954 | BOM: 94.827 | LOTLD: 121.385 | DOTK: 109.831 | LS: 41.270 | SBTC: 94.755 | HH: 107.339 | TOTL: 104.496

Total: 819.556
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

American English being the world's lingua franca, I tend to use it in most cases, but in the end it doesn't matter much as long as we try to avoid using different conventions in the same article.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

Don't the games themselves vary in this regard down through the years?
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Beats me, time to run through and look for the "colours"
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 610019

Post by Hunchman801 »

PluMGMK wrote:Don't the games themselves vary in this regard down through the years?
I never paid attention to this, however with characters starring in multiple games it won't be easy to follow a rule based on the variety of English used in the games.

This is a non-issue anyway, both spellings are fine in my opinion.
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

British English I think is better.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78205

Post by The Jonster »

I dunno, I just like the way British words sound better than American words. :?
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102745

Post by PluMGMK »

In some ways, I agree. But then the spelling has nothing to do with that, and that's what this topic is about!