Quality of gameplay videos

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Quality of gameplay videos

Post by Hunchman801 »

We are linking to Haruka's videos in the external links sections of level articles, which is great since no description can be as accurate as a playthrough video, however I've noticed that they lack in quality. For example, the one for A Madman's Creation!, which can be found here, is only 480p, while there are many others in full HD.

Haruka, do you intend to record (or upload, if you have them) 1080p versions of your playthroughs? Or should be find another channel?
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Re: Quality of gameplay videos

Post by RayCarrot »

I personally have a Youtube channel with a bunch of Rayman walkthroughs which I've linked to a few articles. I have at least 720p on mine and the Rayman Legends ones are in 1080p, so those could be linked as well. So far I've only linked my Rayman 1 videos since I did ones of the GBA version as well.
Haruka
Sandra Misu
Tings: 178780

Post by Haruka »

That's a good question. The only problem is that I can't guarantee anything and even less giving out dates. All the walkthroughs gave me a lot of work and I think to get them in HD I would need to start by scratch, but I question if the gameplay quality would be as good as the remakes. I can't really give an answer for now.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I understand! It might be wise to use links to the highest quality versions in the meantime, then.
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

I understand that. For now I am giving priority to record titles I did not take care of before, like N-Gage's version of Rayman 3 for example especially when there's none available on Youtube. I dunno which titles I could take care of next but if I record an existent walkthrough by scratch I would like to hear opinions on which ones should be prioritized with a HD version to help me out deciding. :)
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Yeah, recording the N-Gage version is a good idea. It would be good to add the links to the level articles as well, if anyone has the time. :)
Adsolution
Aline Louïa
Tings: 106718

Post by Adsolution »

As a heads-up, technology4617 and I are working on recording perfect walkthroughs of the games running on original hardware with high-quality capture setups (we've invested a decent amount of money into this). We've only started recently, and since we're trying to record perfect takes of every single area, it will take a while, but the results will be worth it.

The project hasn't been officially announced yet, but will be once we finish the first two versions of Rayman 1: tech is working on PS1, and I'm working on PC on an actual Windows 98 machine. Of course, they'll be at 1080p60 with nearest-neighbour scaling.
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 453317

Post by Hoodcom »

Adsolution wrote:As a heads-up, technology4617 and I are working on recording perfect walkthroughs of the games running on original hardware with high-quality capture setups (we've invested a decent amount of money into this). We've only started recently, and since we're trying to record perfect takes of every single area, it will take a while, but the results will be worth it.

The project hasn't been officially announced yet, but will be once we finish the first two versions of Rayman 1: tech is working on PS1, and I'm working on PC on an actual Windows 98 machine. Of course, they'll be at 1080p60 with nearest-neighbour scaling.
That's perfectly great, Ad. :hap:
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Sounds great, I don't think I've ever seen a playthrough of the original game recorded in a way that looks like... what the game was originally supposed to look like. :mrgreen:
Haruka
Sandra Misu

Post by Haruka »

It has been since forever the last time I played Rayman 1 under a similar scenario (though I was using Windows ME back then). It will be interesting to see :D!
Fifo
Joe
Tings: 78350

Post by Fifo »

Adsolution wrote:running on original hardware
What about these two facts?
  • play it from an actual PS1 (no PS2 load boosts/anything like that)
  • play it from an actual CD (PC)
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Fifo wrote:play it from an actual PS1 (no PS2 load boosts/anything like that)
It's being played on a PS2 because the experience is 100% identical, bar the following:

- The PS2's audio and video outputs are significantly higher quality
- The game lags badly in certain areas and will regularly hiccup and drop a frame here and there on PS1
- The heat gradient coming off the lava in the first phase of the Skops fight is very subtly dithered on PS2

The last point is the only downside, but it's only for a very brief moment. Everything else is better.
Fifo wrote:play it from an actual CD (PC)
Of course.
Fifo
Joe
Tings: 78350

Post by Fifo »

Adsolution wrote:
Fifo wrote:play it from an actual PS1 (no PS2 load boosts/anything like that)
It's being played on a PS2 because the experience is 100% identical, bar the following:

- The PS2's audio and video outputs are significantly higher quality
Oh yeah, component/fiber-optic is indeed better.
- The game lags badly in certain areas and will regularly hiccup and drop a frame here and there on PS1
Never noticed lagging on my PSone. Maybe because I’m playing the UK version.
- The heat gradient coming off the lava in the first phase of the Skops fight is very subtly dithered on PS2
Good eye!
The last point is the only downside, but it's only for a very brief moment. Everything else is better.
Okay, I don’t mind. Thanks for the info.
RibShark
Feuillu
Tings: 1735

Post by RibShark »

Adsolution wrote:The PS2's audio and video outputs are significantly higher quality
Will you be using component or RGB SCART? The quality difference is minuscule, but RGB does have a slight advantage over YPbPr. For 480p games (Rayman Revolution with GS Mode Selector and Rayman 3), the PS2 does support RGsB sync on the SCART cable. Combining that with an OSSC (as that can cope with RGsB sync) will produce the best quality you can get out of a 480p game, even better than Component cables.
Adsolution
Aline Louïa

Post by Adsolution »

Yep, we're using both RGB and an OSSC. :)

As for Rayman 1 on PC, my graphics card has DVI-out so quality isn't an issue. What is an issue is actually the Framemeister detecting Rayman; whether that's the 640x400 resolution or something else I don't know, but it has no trouble reading anything else being output.
Hoodcom
Mr Dark
Location: R̸̨̧̛̝͎͔̹͉̫̞͚͎͈̫̲̘͕̞͔̼̣͍̞̤̹̫̘̼͚̤̮̟͍̺̯͍̜̹͓̤͖͎͌̀̿͗̍͌̈́̿̿͑̄̀͌̒̅͛̄̾̈͠ͅayman Pirate-Community Lodge
Tings: 453317

Post by Hoodcom »

One of the very reasons I do stick with the PS2 is for running optical audio out.

Hmm, I'm guessing you've finally got your retro computer situation all settled by now, Ad?
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78135

Post by The Jonster »

Phew so far the gameplay videos I'm coming up with have been in perfect quality. Maybe someday when I have enough I'd like to contribute with those too :D
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

Does anyone know if Haruka plans to restore her videos or upload them to another platform?
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

I don't. In fact, I only heard about the situation about a week ago. :oops2:
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

I guess in the future, if we need to upload videos to preserve them, we should use the Internet Archive, I suppose it is more reliable than YouTube.