Quality of gameplay videos

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Re: Quality of gameplay videos

Post by PluMGMK »

Yeah, that would be a really good place to put them actually. None of the nonsense of YouTube there either!
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

Elite Piranha wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:37 pm Does anyone know if Haruka plans to restore her videos or upload them to another platform?
RayCarrot is currently working on uploading them to a new RayWiki channel.
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Post by Elite Piranha »

Hunchman801 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:26 am
Elite Piranha wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:37 pm Does anyone know if Haruka plans to restore her videos or upload them to another platform?
RayCarrot is currently working on uploading them to a new RayWiki channel.
That's awesome! I'm glad they're being preserved, Haruka had a lot of good stuff in her channel.

Also, I didn't know the RayWiki had its own channel :shock:.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

It's not officially open yet, there's still a bunch of videos left to upload. But they're not lost!
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Changing all the links on RayWiki will be quite an endeavor, though!
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

Yeah, I guess there's no way around that, since the YouTube video identifiers are just arbitrary alphanumerical sequences…
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

The links have been dead for more than six months now so I guess it's not a matter of days anyway!
Digifiend
Électoon
Tings: 15

Post by Digifiend »

They were dead 14 months ago? Why weren't they removed from the wiki in the meantime then? Reupload them or delete the links, but don't have links to videos that are private and unaccessible.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Reuploading them wasn't originally meant to take that long, that's why we chose to only replace the links when the new videos would be ready. Unfortunately, RayCarrot got busy with other things and the process is kinda stuck at the moment. Only he has the files handy, and while I think I can get him to upload the remaining ones within a reasonable time frame, he won't have the time to label them so we're gonna need some help here.

But you're right, something needs to be done here. Is anyone willing to help with the labeling? I would grant them access to the RayWiki YouTube account and they would basically have to write a short, standardized description for each remaining video, from what I remember. Let me know if you're interested, it's high time we solved this issue once and for all.
SuperSajuuk
Lums Violet
Tings: 135

External video links in the wiki pages

Post by SuperSajuuk »

Hi there. I was looking through the wiki pages again [having got an itch to play Rayman games some more lately] and noticed that all the pages appear to be linking to YouTube videos which are marked as private.

IIRC, the last time I viewed the pages, these were links to content from Haruka Tavares [someone who I highly admire for the content they did have public as it was full 100% of every game to a level even I couldn't achieve], who has long since hidden all these videos based on a change made some time ago by YouTube that meant Haruka needed to take down the videos. Considering that there's no apparent indication that this content will be made public again, I feel that the links should either be updated to point to similar content from another user or the links removed from the pages, since links to something that is private seems confusing.

I don't really know what the procedure is for notifying about issues like this, but thought I would drop a message here for someone to look into :)
Elite Piranha
Aline Louïa
Tings: 122685

Re: External video links in the wiki pages

Post by Elite Piranha »

There was a project to upload these videos to another channel, however I don't what happened to that.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I have merged this with the other topic; as for the videos, progress has been made since I last posted about it, and while some playlists have not been taken care of yet, I think we have enough coverage to start making their videos public and replacing the links inside articles for those.

Would anyone be willing to help with this if we start publishing the playlists that are ready?
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78135

Post by The Jonster »

Hmmm, what would we need to do regarding the videos? Just replacing the old links with the new ones? I could give that a go during free time and see what happens.
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Considering the time period since the privating of those videos, I'd say time is probably of the essence, hasn't it been like 3 years now?

There's a lotta dead links to fix...
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

The links have been dead for over three years and a half, yeah. But if we want to fix this, I'm going to need some help.

RayCarrot and dr_st have already done a lot over the past couple years. To summarize, every video is already on the RayWiki YouTube channel, and they have been sorted into playlists too. However, two important tasks remain:
  • Finish annotating the videos and sorting them within the playlists. Videos need a short description containing important details such as the game, the platform, the level, the RayWiki link and so on, and of course they must be in the correct order. This is done for maybe half of the playlists, but there's still a lot to do here.
  • Replace the links on the wiki. This hasn't been started yet, but this can already be done for the playlists that have descriptions and have been sorted. For the others, the annotation step needs to be taken care of first.
So, I reiterate, if anyone is willing to help, let me know here and we'll take it from there.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

That's completely valid and I appreciate it's easy for me to make these sorts of requests when I'm not able to action anything.

That being said, is there a list of videos, like a spreadsheet or anything? I'm wondering if there's any way the process could be automated to an extent in the generation of video descriptions - I'd assume there's a set format to them right?

I'm happy to lend a hand in the sorting of videos, if that's anything substantial?
The Jonster
Joe

Post by The Jonster »

Honestly watching Haruka's videos inspired me to continue my Rayman journey at a time during uni where I wanted to focus on more active video game series that I liked and just put everything else on the backburner.

I'd be glad to help with changing the links. It's probably going to be a long task, since she had a lot of video links on RayWiki possibly including other languages, and the fact that not all of the annotation is done, but I'm down to giving it a shot.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Thanks for offering to help, guys. In order to add you to the RayWiki YouTube channel, I'm going to need an email address for a Google account. Send it to me by PM, and I'll follow up with more detailed instructions!
The Jonster
Joe

Post by The Jonster »

Well, as of this month, it will have been 4 years since Haruka had to close her channel and private all her videos and walkthroughs. But I am pleased to announce that her Rayman content has been preserved and is now available (with her permission, of course) for viewing on the official RayWiki YouTube channel, and all the associated links in RayWIki have been updated to reflect this! :)