Several RayWiki suggestions

Talk about the collaborative Rayman encyclopedia.

Moderator: English moderators

Forum rules
Please keep the forum rules and guidelines in mind when creating or replying to a topic.
RayCarrot
Tily
Tings: 36217

Several RayWiki suggestions

Post by RayCarrot »

1. The Land of the Livid Dead for Rayman Origins
Currently there are two separate articles for the Land of the Livid Dead level in Origins. The first one is Don't Trample the Flowers, consisting of all the parts before the boss, and the second one is The Mamma of All Nightmares, consisting of only the boss (as well as the Back to Origins section). I think having two articles like this seems unnecessary, especially when they are shown as only one level in the game itself. The name "Don't Trample the Flowers", which I believe was found in the files, could mind as well apply to the entire level. So, my suggestion is to move the content from The Mamma of All Nightmares to Don't Trample the Flowers. The Back to Origins section can still be underneath the normal Origins section, since several other Origins levels have different names and are still in the same article.

2. Rayman 1 template (and possibly other game templates)
The Rayman 1 template is a pretty big template. I tried cleaning it up before, which simply made it even bigger. Since this template appears on so many articles, I think separate ones should be made instead. For example one for "Enemies in Rayman" (there are already enemy templates for other games), "Platforms in Rayman" and possibly "Objects in Rayman" (although that gets confusing with the "platforms" one).

3. Template colors
I've noticed that a few years ago most templates were changed from being colored with borders, to the new black and grey design. There are however still a bunch of templates, most specifically the enemy ones, which still use the old color design. On some articles with multiple templates it looks a bit weird when some are colored and some are not, so perhaps they should be changed as well?

Lastly I've just got a quick question about the Legends template. Is there any way to have the Back to Origins links not appear as links on their respective article like for the other links? I think it's got to do with the links being to sections of the articles, rather than the articles themselves.
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Re: Several RayWiki suggestions

Post by Master »

Hmm, I don't really have any objections towards merging those two articles, let's see what everyone else thinks.

As for the navtemplates. I think we've had an issue between balancing excessive navboxes, and bloated navboxes. I did want to see if we could compromise by having having tabs on the navtemplates. And have each tab dedicated to one category (ie. one tab for characters, one for levels etc.). This would allow us to have a comprehensive navbox without compromising on functionality. I don't know how feasible such a concept is however, but I am aware of other wikis that do use tabbed navtemplates.

As for the colourisation issue, I'm guessing we should switch to the uniform colour scheme, and phase out the coloured navtemplates.
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

If using tabs on templates is an option, that would totally solve the problem in my opinion.
PluMGMK
Aline Louïa
Tings: 102725

Post by PluMGMK »

Coloured templates are bizarre IMO, I'd agree with doing away with them.
As for the Land levels, I guess it's a fair point. When there are only two you might as well just merge it all into the parent article to avoid fragmenting the information unnecessarily.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman
Tings: 609359

Post by Hunchman801 »

1. Might be worth merging them if those names are only found in the script, though we need to sort out the templates first (e.g. Locations from Rayman Origins).

2. What you are thinking of is exactly what we had six months or a year ago, before templates were grouped into all-encompassing versions like this one. I never had a strong opinion on the subject, but it sounds a bit counter-productive to spend a lot of time and effort (again) to revert to the previous situation. Displayed those templates with a wrapped state by default might help, though, especially if there's many of them.

3. Maybe we could start by listing the colored ones? I know each game was supposed to have a specific color scheme, but I'm not quite sure how well this was respected.

4. I'm afraid not.
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

1. The first name was found in the scripts while the second one is used in Back to Origins. What exactly needs to be sorted out with the templates though?

2. Oh, I didn't know if was changed recently. But what about the tab idea Master had? Wouldn't that help minimize the template and make it easier to navigate?

3. Here's what I found at least:
R2characters
R2enemies
Robo-Pirates

R3characters
R3enemies
Hoodlums

RMcharacters

ROcharacters
ROenemies

RLcharacters
RLenemies

RAcharacters
RAenemies
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

1. Well if it's the actual name of a level in Legends, I don't think we should be merging the articles. Not to mention that the UbiArt Land of the Livid Dead is not just those two levels, but also contains plenty of other levels from Jungle Run, Fiesta Run and Legends (Grannies World Tour and the challenges). There should be more than enough information to warrant separate articles.

2. Why not. Someone could always give it a try on their user page, though I'm not quite sure what would make tabs better than a collapsible menu.

3. Not very consistent! At least we should harmonize them between games, though removing them altogether is also an option.
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

I'm not talking about the "Land of the Livid Dead" as a world, since there's already a decent article for that here (with general info about Jungle/Fiesta Run and the other areas in Legends): https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Land_of_th ... Art_games)
Now what I was talking about is the level in Origins which is simply titled "Land of the Livid Dead" in the game. However, in the files, the name "Don't Trample the Flowers" was found, which is why the article about the level is titled that here: https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/Don%27t_Tr ... he_Flowers
But for some reason that article only talks about part 1-4 and not part 5 of the level. Part 5 was instead moved to a completely separate article here: https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/The_Mamma_ ... Nightmares even though they're the same level.
Now the reason I want to merge those two is because in Origins, the level is simply one level, and not two different ones. The name "The Mamma of All Nightmares" is instead the name used in Back to Origins in Legends. And yes, in Legends, only part 5 appears. But doesn't mean that they were two separate levels in Origins. It only means that Legends cut out parts 1-4.
So my suggestion is to simply move all of the content from "The Mamma of all Nightmares" to "Don't Trample the Flowers", and at the bottom where the Back to Origins section is it can be named "The Mamma of all Nightmares" in the level template since that's the name used in Legends.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

It's a decent article, but it could do with a list of levels, and more text in general.

As for the merging, I still think that the second level appearing separately in Legends (and with its own name, not just called Land of the Livid Dead) warrants two separate articles. It could always be stated that in Origins, the two levels appear as one, and there's definitely enough content for each article. I would also find it confusing to have an article called "Land of the Livid Dead (Rayman Origins)" and another called "Land of the Livid Dead (UbiArt games)".
Master
Rayman 1
Tings: 404084

Post by Master »

Bringing up the tabs issue again, we could still have collapsible navboxes that work in tandem with tabs, from what I've seen. However, to get tabs to function takes a lot of work with the JavaScript and Style sheets, something which I don't consider myself qualified to mess around with without breaking anything. I did get tabs working on the TestWiki we were using to test the RayWiki skin, but it involved me doing a lot of copying and pasting, and I don't completely understand the code.

The alternative is to install the extension. I'll see what I can do, I could try creating a personal offline Wiki on my computer and try installing the extension and create a test template as a proof of concept. Though of course, without the extension on the Wiki itself, there's not much I can do in terms of sharing.
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

Hunchman801 wrote:It's a decent article, but it could do with a list of levels, and more text in general.

As for the merging, I still think that the second level appearing separately in Legends (and with its own name, not just called Land of the Livid Dead) warrants two separate articles. It could always be stated that in Origins, the two levels appear as one, and there's definitely enough content for each article. I would also find it confusing to have an article called "Land of the Livid Dead (Rayman Origins)" and another called "Land of the Livid Dead (UbiArt games)".
Well I was thinking we would keep the name "Don't Trample the Flowers" since that seems to be the real name for the level in Origins and then just have the Back to Origins section called "The Mamma of all Nightmares". Here's you can see what I mean: https://raymanpc.com/wiki/en/User:Carro ... _and_ideas
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Yeah, I find that a bit weird because that name was meant to represent the first part, while the other is for the boss fight.
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

Looking over other articles with similar issues, couldn't we do something similar to how it was done with the Iron Mountains and the Pirate Mines? Instead of moving the third section of the Iron Mountains over to the Pirate Mines article, it had all of the parts from the original game in the Iron Mountains article, and wrote "Part 3 - The Pirate Mines" for the third part, and then had the remake content (from Revolution) in a separate article, the Pirate Mines. I just find it weird having a level split up into two articles just because Legends only uses the last part and gives it a new name. It looks especially odd in the template where you see two levels in the Land of the Livid Dead world.

Btw, regarding the colored templates. Do you think we should change it to one color per game, or remove the colors altogether?
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Well the thing is that if we were to merge the RO LOTLD articles into one, there'd be no reason to call it "Don't Trample the Flowers" rather than "The Mamma of All Nightmares". In fact, the latter is the only one ever used to refer to a part of that level.

As for the colors, I don't really mind. Whatever the consensus is!
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

Okay, but then we'll have to make it clear that it's in fact one level. As of now it's written like if they were two separate levels. Perhaps in the template we can write something like: Land of the Livid Dead (Don't Trample the Flowers - The Mamma of All Nightmares)? And in the article we can can write something like:
Part 5
Main article: The Mamma of All Nightmares
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

Still doesn't make sense for me, why would we have an article called 'Don't Trample the Flowers' for a level clearly called 'Land of the Livid Dead' in the game? It's pretty obvious from the files (and Legends) that the other two names specifically refer to the beginning and the end of that level.
RayCarrot
Tily

Post by RayCarrot »

As I said I'm fine with keeping it like it is. I just thought we should clarify that it appears as a single level in the game itself.
Hunchman801
Bad Rayman

Post by Hunchman801 »

I was referring to the "Part 5" section in "Don't Trample the Flowers" and the "Parts 1-4" section in "The Mamma of All Nightmares" you've added which seem to imply that the former contains the latter... and the latter contains the former, which is quite contradictory to say the least!

I don't see many ways of solving this. Merging both articles under "Land of the Livid Dead (Rayman Origins)" would be consistent, but it's also rather confusing, as I pointed out.

Else, we need to clarify the relation between the different parts. I've published a couple changes that should help with that, but I still don't find it ideal. Can't think of a better idea though. :mefiant:
The Jonster
Joe
Tings: 78135

Post by The Jonster »

These are good suggestions!
Always be true to yourself.
Sigs by Steo and R4Y_ANC3L
12RayChienne9
Carnivora
Tings: 13017

Post by 12RayChienne9 »

I already added certain things in the Spanish version. Let me take some suggestions so that it can be improved:
1. Add missing information in the article about the Rabbids series: No one has added the most recent Rabbids games neither in the English version nor (possibly) in the French version, that's why I added this information in the articles about the Rabbids and the Rabbids series.
2. Add some trivial things about Rayman: In the article about Rayman (excluiding the Spanish version), anyone should add a trivia about Rayman actually wears shocks as seen in Rayman M's intro. Let's not forget to add Rayman's appearance in an European PlayStation Classic adverting named "Play History Make History" in the "Rayman in Popular Culture" article
3. Create articles about newer Rabbids games such as Rabbids Coding.